Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
This reminds me of the synth discussions in the eighties, poo poo, that's not real music..LOL.
Those boxes are just synths in a different shape, where's the problem?

Chris
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Oh dear. I have the feeling of "I wish I'd never started that"

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Josie, I am very glad you did. It has served to clarify everyone's thoughts no matter what stand they take. It's probably not a burning issue to anyone but me, but I immensely enjoyed the discussion. No one's feelings have been hurt, and it hasn't gotten personal except for some bizarre remarks about someone who might or might not have belonged to another forum entirely. I'd like to thank you for making the original post.

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Oh dear. I have the feeling of "I wish I'd never started that"

Ok, I said I was going to move on, as in not respond further, but when I saw this, I felt the need to.

I in NO way regret this discussion. I'm very happy it happened. I doubt I changed any minds with my contribution, or lack there of.

In my home, though, it was great to hear my wife's and children's opinions. It got a family talking. I feel that way in this forum too.

Ultimately it comes down to opinions. If I don't agree with someone, doesn't mean I feel they aren't entitled to opinion. We simply see things differently. I don't dislike anyone over this FOR SURE.

When I say I need to move on, it has less to do with me being mad, and more to do with me getting my work done! LOL Actually, that's pretty much entirely it.

That being said, I say again, thank you! smile

So what topic should we not solve next?

Last edited by HearToLearn; 04/16/15 09:41 AM.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you Ryzard and HTL.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sinbad/Chris gets it! Give the man a cookie!

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Ryszard
Sinbad/Chris gets it! Give the man a cookie!

Richard, I finally noticed your byline, "My primary musical instrument is the personal computer." I love that!!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You get a cookie, too, J3!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yup, I use samples, loops, virtual synths, drum machines, computer-aided composition software (BIAB and Reason), and a few traditional instruments, as well as my PC to do what I do. It doesn't happen in real time, though, and I do play some bass, guitar, and harps, which might mess with the curve for some. But I don't think anyone will argue that what I create is not music, or that I am not a musician. Yes, I can play guitar and sing without any of that. But to do what I love I need all of it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
<...snip...>

Actually, I was agreeing with you. grin I was paraphrasing a previous poster who made the statement:

“What tickles me is that many of the folks who would swear the guy in the video is not a musician will get up on stage with pre-recorded backing tracks and pretend to be a band!”

I could have made the reference more clear.

Regards,

Bob

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Bob

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn

Well said in many ways. A few questions for you my good sir.

1-Is a person who composes and plays a keyboard with piano samples instead of an actual piano, a musician? (Bear in mind, this person did not record the piano samples on their own). Why or why not?

2-Is a "DJ" who goes into a recording studio and creates his own samples, meaning he actually records various sounds and manipulates them to what he needs for his song, THEN plays those sounds via his keyboard a musician? Why or why not?

1) IMHO yes. A sample is a very different thing from a loop.

2) Depends on the various sounds and what kind of keyboard he/she is playing them on.

And if the DJ can also play keyboard he/she can be both a musician and a DJ. They are not mutually exclusive.

In the early 80s I played in a 4 piece group that classified itself as "BJs" - Band-Jocks. Play a few live, spin a couple of recordings, play a few more live, etc. Not a bad idea. It didn't go over well, perhaps it was just ahead of its time.

There are from time to time songs a client wants to hear and that may be either inappropriate for us to learn, or too studio intensive for a duo to properly cover. I'll happily "DJ" them during our act, and even noodle along on the guitar while doing so.

There is nothing wrong with various ways to make music. Whether you are pushing buttons on Ableton Live, assembling loops, using an auto-accompaniment app like BiaB, or playing a piano.

There is nothing degrading about being a DJ or making music by assembling loops of what other people have already played. There are different talents involved.

Personally, I'm in awe of what some people can do with sampled loops, a skill I've never wanted to learn.

But we have specific terms for specific things, and when we start using those terms incorrectly, we impede communication.

Since this conversation started, I've taken the liberty to ask non-musicians - some friends - some regular customers about it. I usually pose the question as, which of these would you call musicians, pianists, guitarists, saxophonists, singers, drummers, DJs. Nobody picks DJs.

IMHO that's a good thing because the skills involved in both 'art forms' are different.

So call it what you want. I agree with both my own reasoning and what the general public perceives, DJs make music but aren't musicians.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
And I thought this horse had been flogged to death cry

Chris
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: sinbad
And I thought this horse had been flogged to death cry

No it's still alive -- according to a German song about the Holzmichl -- the wood chopping Michael -- the Wood-Michael.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-418rybwVI

Original words here: http://www.songtexte.com/songtext/de-randfichten/lebt-denn-dr-alte-holzmichl-noch-3de618b.html

Machine Translation with a little correction:
Michael is not fine, Michael is not fine,
Michael is not fine, his nose is all red.
Hacking (wood) is difficult for him, to hack is difficult
hacking is hard for him and cough plagues him very much.
Because Michael is really bad off,
all sing very softly now this song.
Is the old Wood-Michael still alive, is Wood-Michael still alive, is Wood-Michael still alive?
Yes, he's alive, he's still alive, he's still alive.
Yes, he's alive, he's still alive, does not die.

Michael is sick, Michael is sick,
Michael is sick, we will also be anxious and scared.
What shall we do then just what are we supposed to do only
what are we supposed to just do so, he must now take a rest.
Because Michael is really bad off,
we all together hum our song.
Mmh ...

Michael is half dead, Michael is half dead,
Michael is half dead, we have our hands full with him.
He is now on the plank, he is now on the plank,
He is now on the plank and he does not say much.
Because with Michael it's now coming to an end,
we all fall quiet for our song.

Come on, let's go to the grave visit him once.
Just look, a miracle has happened.
Dr Michl's not dead, fortunately,
therefore we sing the song as loud as we can sing.
Is the old Wood-Michael still alive, is Wood-Michael still alive, is Wood-Michael still alive?
Yes, he's alive, he's still alive, he's still alive.
Yes, he's alive, he's still alive, does not die.

Last edited by GHinCH; 04/17/15 05:49 AM.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Depends on the various sounds and what kind of keyboard he/she is playing them on.

First, , thanks for you reply. It was well thought out for sure! I hope you don't mind me asking, as I am not challenging your opinion so much as trying to understand.

1-So the type of sound is what determines if it is an instrument, not if it is "pitched" to, as an example, key? Am I understanding that correctly?

2-The input device would determine if the person is a musician or not? Not if the person is using music theory, or creating music? More specifically, a piano controller would make the person a musician, however using a keypad controller (even if mapped as a piano) would negate the person as a musician?

As far as meanings of words, it is a natural part of language to have words meanings change or even evolve. Gay, rubbers, sick, bad...all examples.

Just because it is the general consensus doesn't mean it isn't already changing. The fact that we have people in this discussion with opposing views shows there is a shift. We are not all here agreeing on the meaning.

Technology is one of those things that really pushes change in wording. I don't care how many people in 1995 would all agree that they know exactly what a phone is. It is not the thing I carry in my pocket today! The meaning of "phone" has changed, as is the definition of musician.

Just my two cents. I get the feeling I'm getting two cents back in change though wink

Seriously, thanks for you well thought out, and well exampled posts. I truly enjoy them!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

90DB where did you find that? It's hilarious.

Threads like this are all in good fun, no offense intended to anybody. Btw, someone said maybe I'm not the oldest one in this thread? I'll be 70 in November and everybody is invited on my lawn...just bring some beer.

Anybody besides me recognize Jordan Rudess in that second NAMM show vid posted above? He's the leader of Dream Theater and is one of the monster keyboard players of our time, check him out on YT. Right behind him is the Hammond booth and I was standing right there off to the side while he was playing around with the Linninstrument.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Btw, someone said maybe I'm not the oldest one in this thread? I'll be 70 in November and everybody is invited on my lawn...just bring some beer.

Bob

It was me and you beat me by 5 months as I'll be 70 next April! I just turned 69.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"90DB where did you find that? It's hilarious."

Photobucket.

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
even the dictionaries don't agree.
------------------------------------

RANDOM HOUSE WEBSTER'S DICTIONARY:
MUSICIAN: a person who performs OR composes music

MUSIC: the art of ordering sounds into cohesive and structured forms

-------------------------------------
FUNK & WAGNALL'S standard desk dictionary:

MUSICIAN:
1) A professional performer or composer of music
2) one skilled in performing or composing music

MUSIC:
1) a succession or combination of musical sounds, especially if the sounds are pleasing to the ear

2) the art of producing significant arrangements of sounds, usually with reference to rhythm, pitch and tone

3) a musical score

---------------------------------------
DICTIONARY.COM

MUSICIAN:
1) a person who makes music a profession, especially as a performer of music.

2) any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.

MUSIC:
1) an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

2) the tones or sounds employed, occurring in single line (melody) or multiple lines (harmony), and sounded or to be sounded by one or more voices or instruments, or both.

3) musical work or compositions for singing or playing.

4) the written or printed score of a musical composition.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
to one degree or another, a person's definition of a musician would have to depend on his definition of music. The word music has multiple uses:

1) sheet music
"Do you have the music for STAR SPANGLED BANNER?"

2) particularly pleasing sound
"To me the sound of a thunderstorm is music to my ears"

3) particularly pleasing music (preference)
"You call that crap music?? Jazz.. now THAT'S music!"

4) an industry
"my daughter's in engineering, and my son's in music"

5) a type of artistic composition
"Few creative endeavors have influenced civilization as much as classical music.."

etc etc

Last edited by Pat Marr; 04/17/15 09:51 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
even the dictionaries don't agree.

They don't have to agree to make the point.

I'm not going to cover the "music" definitions as I just wanted to make the point that some DJ's are in fact, highly skilled in orchestration, production and performance of music. To me, that is a musician!

Here is the type of DJ I speak of that I would, hands down, consider a musician.
Not a musician?

I will gladly concede that they are not all like him; AND there are many others who are. I don't understand how someone could say he isn't a musician. Using what standard?

Let's see...

------------------------------------

Quote:
RANDOM HOUSE WEBSTER'S DICTIONARY:
MUSICIAN: a person who performs OR composes music

He is performing without a doubt here. He also composes. Also, for the record, I don't think you could argue that they are not cohesive or structure. He is playing along to himself, included lead vocal and harmony lines!

Quote:
-------------------------------------
FUNK & WAGNALL'S standard desk dictionary:

MUSICIAN:
1) A professional performer or composer of music

He is no doubt a professional performer of music. People dance to the sounds from his performance. He is paid as well.

Quote:
2) one skilled in performing or composing music

I don't think anyone could argue this doesn't take skill. It's probably more skill than most of us have!

Quote:
---------------------------------------
DICTIONARY.COM

MUSICIAN:
1) a person who makes music a profession, especially as a performer of music.

This DJ has made it his profession performing his music...and others! Which mean he is also duplicating his efforts. It's not random as some would imply.

Quote:
2) any person, whether professional or not, skilled in music.

He is a skilled professional, but wouldn't even have to be.

Again, there are many DJ's who are not musicians. But there are many, and a growing number as the technology grows and improves, that are using it as musicians!

I don't know if it's the shape of the button you push, or what what the button is made of that seems to make some a musician or not. To me, that seems to be more so what people have the problem with.

If it's plastic and on a simulated piano keyboard...musician.

If it's rubber and on anything that doesn't look like a traditional instrument, then the person is not a musician.

It's not about weather or not the person is actually performing something people dance to or enjoy listening to.

It's not about the skill level involved in their performance.

It's about the button they push.

It's very strange to me.

Last edited by HearToLearn; 04/17/15 12:07 PM.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn

Here is a small example of an original piece from a "DJ." Again, it's not something I would listen to, but I think the skill involved is up there with many other instruments. He is demonstrating more skill than I feel many who call themselves musicians have.

A "DJ" playing a song

On a side note, I'm not sure if this was ever mentioned...

THE OPPOSING SIDE

I have a friend who does this kind of thing. When people come up to him and say "Hey, I hear you're a DJ." You can see him cringe. He says he doesn't want people thinking of what he does as a guy who pushes play on a CD player at a wedding! Ha!

Enjoyed that quite a bit, and I'm probably well on the old side of the bell curve for this type of music.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,569
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200