Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#291987 04/17/15 09:27 AM
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This song began as a Pat-Pattison-based, lyric exercise that I set for myself.

During the course of creating this work, I read a forum comment from Mike (aka cubanpete) where he said “...always envy the ability to create lyrics”. That got me thinking and it occurred to me that if I could show Mike how I set about putting these lyrics together, it might give him an insight that could be useful for his own works; so I documented some of the main aspects of the process. The document can be found via the below link as a pdf. (This document might also be of interest for those in the forum who have taken Pat Pattison's songwriting course at http://coursera.org .)

• How these lyrics were assembled (pdf)
(link no longer valid)
Quote:
**SPOILER ALERT
It's best to read the pdf AFTER listening to the song at least once. Then, and ONLY then, read it if you don't mind never hearing my lyrics the same ever again. The document will probably disillusion its reader!

"Walk With Me" was created in Band In A Box and additional tracks were added in Realband using multiriff. Reaper was used to add vocals and polish the mix.

Please feel free to comment on any aspect of the song whatsoever.

All the best,
Noel

BAND IN A BOX TRACKS
Base Style: _CRICH2.STY (Electric Guitar Ballad (85 RS))
PianoCustom Synth is Hi-Q 001 01 Piano, Acoustic, Grand SampleTank.tgs

RealTracks 1546: Bass, Electric, CountrySwing Sw 085
MIDI SuperTracks 2240: Piano, Rhythm EZListening Sw 085
RealTracks 530: Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 085
RealTracks 971: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountrySwingGrittyA-B Sw 085
RealTracks 2027: Piano, Acoustic, Soloist CountrySwingJohn Sw 085

RealDrums: NashvilleShuffle^02-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat

LYRICS
© 2015 Noel Adams. Words and music, all rights reserved.

Hold my hand and walk with me
I know a journey just for two
You'll travel footloose and fancy free
Strolling along with me

We'll greet adventure every day
You won't regret it, I guarantee
Dreams 'll come true when you walk with me

If it's stormy
And it pours with rain
I'll be a rainbow and push the gloom away
And if it's dark
Because the sun forgot to shine
I'll be a sunbeam
And I will decorate the sky

We'll travel a trail that never ends
Wherever we wander, just wait and see
Stars will align when you walk with me

[Instrumental]

If it's stormy
And it pours with rain
I'll be a rainbow and push the gloom away
And if it's dark
Because the sun forgot to shine
I'll be a sunbeam
And I will decorate the sky

We'll travel a trail that never ends
Wherever we wander, just wait and see
Stars will align when you walk with me
And the future will smile
Destination, whatever will be
Please walk with me

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 09/26/17 01:57 PM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #291999 04/17/15 10:58 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel,

I like so many things about this.

Your vocal is so uniquely....Noel! Like a Randy Newman vocal. Or Tom Waits. Identifiable! Cool.

This song "took me back" - as your songs often do. So many of them sound like they were lifted right out of the great musical movies of the past. I could not help but see/hear Gene Kelly performing this (sauntering as he did, of course). Tin Pan Alley all the way.. Cool.

"footloose and fancy free" smile Nice!

(I did not read your lyric pdf. I prefer to let a song speak for itself)

Your chorus is delightful. Thematic and demonstrative! Cool.

Terrific mix! LOVE your harmonies. The piano solo is inspired. Interesting mix of instruments.

A pleasure to listen to.

floyd

Noel96 #292000 04/17/15 11:03 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi, Noel.

Nice work, I enjoyed it very much.

Thanks for the music,
Dan

Noel96 #292003 04/17/15 11:10 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Noel,

Very, very cool song! Really good vocals and harmonies.
This could be a song from one of musicals that were popular in the 60's or 70'. It invites you to sing along!

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

Noel96 #292021 04/17/15 12:17 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey there Brother Adams, There is a lot to love about this one. Stellar mix and choice of real tracks. Extremely well sung. I love the harmony near the end. That was inspired. Of course the lyrics are crafted with great expertise. I have not yet read the PDF. I certainly am coming nowhere close to expressing how much I enjoyed and admire this piece. Standing O and Bravo! Tom

Noel96 #292029 04/17/15 12:31 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Noel,

You really know how to capture the vibe and feel of the standards from the 50s & 60s. I could hear Danny Kaye singing this immediately. Excellent all around - perfect vocal and arrangement.

The lyrics pdf was a very nice touch - love the insight into your process.

Bob

Noel96 #292033 04/17/15 12:38 PM
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Noel,

Great song with a wonderful period feel to it.

Yes, I did read the PDF after listening to the track and found it both fascinating and bewildering. I'm full of admiration for the amount of detail which went into these lyrics - my own method is very much the antithesis of yours.

One thing which I did notice is that the chorus appears to be blank verse, that is, it has no rhyming scheme at all. What struck me as strange is that I didn't notice it whilst listening to the song, only when reading the lyric sheet.

Thanks for providing so much detail - I'm always interested in other people's methods.

ROG.

Noel96 #292053 04/17/15 03:18 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
All around terrific Noel.

Especially love the chord progression and the harmony is fabulous.

Josie

Noel96 #292070 04/17/15 06:49 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Noel

Loved this one from the first note. Love the swing feel. I think this one could be used in an upbeat çommercial. The little piano riff in the middle is simply gorgeous.

I had a look at the PDF and I can relate to a it. I have done the coursera course used Pat Pattisons techniques quite a bit. I am not quite as patient as you are.

Thanks for sharing your methods. Very informative

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Noel96 #292076 04/17/15 09:31 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hey Noel

What a great arrangement. And thanks for the efforts you went to to describe the songwriting process.

Very thorough.

Clever lyrics, great melody, perfect mix. Fabulous piano break.

Thanks for sharing

Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Noel96 #292092 04/18/15 02:29 AM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
This was quite a trip to 'walk with you' through your lyric writing process in creating such a wonderful song. This has all the right elements present, good lyrics, nice, catchy melody, a great mix, arrangement and production.

Thanks for sharing your techniques and your song with us.

Enjoyed both.

Charlie

Last edited by c_fogle; 04/18/15 02:51 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Noel96 #292118 04/18/15 06:34 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Noel,

let me quote Trevor: "Clever lyrics, great melody, perfect mix. Fabulous piano break." and add great vocals and harmony.
The description of your writing process looks like a lot of work is going on.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter

Noel96 #292120 04/18/15 06:41 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Love the piano solo and you have a wonderful musical lift in arrangement in the back half of the song.

I read the pdf and appreciate your effort in sharing it. I'm glad to hear that you have and are finding your writing voice utilizing the techniques that you have learned.

Keep up the good work and I will be listening to your next song and keeping an eye out for your underlying approach.

Noel96 #292150 04/18/15 10:19 AM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Wonderful song!! Love the happy, care-free, simple and sweet sentiment. I could see Ringo covering this if he was still doing solo records. Also, would make a great song for a scene in a feelgood movie! My favorite of yours so far!! Love it! Take care. Greg

floyd jane #292198 04/18/15 07:58 PM
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Noel,

I like so many things about this.

Your vocal is so uniquely....Noel! Like a Randy Newman vocal. Or Tom Waits. Identifiable! Cool.

This song "took me back" - as your songs often do. So many of them sound like they were lifted right out of the great musical movies of the past. I could not help but see/hear Gene Kelly performing this (sauntering as he did, of course). Tin Pan Alley all the way.. Cool.

"footloose and fancy free" smile Nice!

(I did not read your lyric pdf. I prefer to let a song speak for itself)

Your chorus is delightful. Thematic and demonstrative! Cool.

Terrific mix! LOVE your harmonies. The piano solo is inspired. Interesting mix of instruments.

A pleasure to listen to.

floyd

floyd,

Thank you for listening and for the feedback! It seems that I'm destined to sound like Tin Pan Alley! Oh well, there are worse things in life smile On the upside, it's definitely the period of popular music that appeals to me so I can live with it comfortably enough.

The harmonies came about by accident. Because of the key I was in, and the melody I'd chosen, if I sang a vocal line below the melody, it worked but it didn't do much to enhance the overall sound. The same thing happened if I sang a voice above. When I tried adding both above and below vocals, the sound was too full for what I wanted. At that point, I decided to leave the song without harmony. Then it occurred to me that I hadn't tried a classical counterpoint approach. It's been a decade or so since I last thought about counterpoint. Anyway, I grabbed Melodyne, took the vocal line that I sang below the melody and changed the pitch of the notes so that they followed the principles of First Species Counterpoint. I couldn't believe it when I played it back. It worked.

So what you're hearing in the harmony is actually my vocal part below the melody that's been pitch shifted to give a counterpoint melody against the original melody (if that makes sense). I didn't re-sing the second part because the Melodyne pitch-shifted notes seemed to do the job.

The piano solo (RT 2027) is the result of probably 50 regenerations. Whenever I came across something I liked in a (re)generation of the track, I saved it. This particular RT seems to have many possible variations. I then hunted through the saved files and compiled a track from the bits I liked best.

Thanks again for dropping in. It's always great to see/read you.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
big741 #292199 04/18/15 08:08 PM
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: big741
Hi, Noel.

Nice work, I enjoyed it very much.

Thanks for the music,
Dan

Hey Dan,

It's great that you've become part of our community! Thank you for jumping into my thread and having a listen. I appreciate your comments.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #292200 04/18/15 08:35 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Noel. This is definitely up to your usual standard of excellence.
I like that you have a really good melody in your songs also.
This one makes me think of the Muppets.
I could imagine Kermit singing it.
Will go read about it now.
Great. Cheers.

RnAM #292205 04/18/15 10:11 PM
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Noel,

Very, very cool song! Really good vocals and harmonies.
This could be a song from one of musicals that were popular in the 60's or 70'. It invites you to sing along!

Hi Rob and Anne-Marie,

It looks like all the years of listening to musicals, playing songs from Tin Pan Alley and growing up in the 60s influenced me more than I realised! LOL smile

Thanks for taking time and listening. Now if I could only sing counterpoint like Anne-Marie and lead vocals like Rob, I'd have it made! You're both amazing.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
tommyad #292214 04/19/15 03:13 AM
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Hey there Brother Adams, There is a lot to love about this one. Stellar mix and choice of real tracks. Extremely well sung. I love the harmony near the end. That was inspired. Of course the lyrics are crafted with great expertise. I have not yet read the PDF. I certainly am coming nowhere close to expressing how much I enjoyed and admire this piece. Standing O and Bravo! Tom

Hey Tom!

LOL!!!! Yep it's a great family name there! When I was in primary school, half a century ago, I really hoped that I'd get a teacher one year who never did things alphabetically. Just once would have done. Didn't happen!

Thanks for plunging into the song. All your positive comments made me blush a bit and smile a lot. Appreciate it.

For what it's worth, the approach I used with the harmony is a classical technique called "First Species Counterpoint". I put a link to a Wikipedia article in my reply to floyd (up a couple of posts).

It's a great technique and is not nearly as complicated as it sounds.

Once again, thanks brother Adams smile
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
rsdean #292301 04/19/15 11:29 PM
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Hey Noel,

You really know how to capture the vibe and feel of the standards from the 50s & 60s. I could hear Danny Kaye singing this immediately. Excellent all around - perfect vocal and arrangement.

The lyrics pdf was a very nice touch - love the insight into your process.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I always smile when I see your name pop up in a thread smile It's good to see you. Thanks for finding time to listen to "Walk With Me".

I've just zipped over to Youtube and had a listen to a couple of Danny Kaye songs. I've always found him very entertaining. It was great revisiting memories.

Thumbelina from 'Hans Christian Andersen' is one that has stayed in my head since I first heard it back in the 60s. Such a great, happy song. My style completely! *LOL* The backup harmony is excellent.

Thanks again for passing by.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195