Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Noel96 #292303 04/20/15 12:32 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
From the opening notes of this song just totally grabs your attention, love the style the instrumental layout, and you voice does it proud, a great song overall, would be totally in place in a movie about the forties or fifties or could fit in for any period.

I had a look at how you put it together Noel, thanks for taking the time to make this PDF. Sure is plenty of ideas in there to keep anyone going.

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
ROG #292369 04/20/15 09:51 AM
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Noel,

Great song with a wonderful period feel to it.

Yes, I did read the PDF after listening to the track and found it both fascinating and bewildering. I'm full of admiration for the amount of detail which went into these lyrics - my own method is very much the antithesis of yours.

One thing which I did notice is that the chorus appears to be blank verse, that is, it has no rhyming scheme at all. What struck me as strange is that I didn't notice it whilst listening to the song, only when reading the lyric sheet.

Thanks for providing so much detail - I'm always interested in other people's methods.

ROG.

Hi ROG,

I'm glad you found the pdf worth the read. As I said in the document, it was only going to be a couple of pages long to begin with but then, as I wrote it, more information seemed relevant so I included it.

Thank you for the feedback. I always value your perspective. Especially so since I found this song quite a challenge to mix. In the end, I simply decided to draw the metaphorical line under it and say "done".

Regarding the bridge section, the reason you didn't hear blank verse when you listened was because there is some assonance happening at key locations. These locations are rain/away and shine/sky. Because I wrote the lyric as the phrases that I sang, this assonance is not obvious. When I write this section as couplets, though, it becomes a little clearer. That is...

Quote:
If it's stormy, and it pours with rain
I'll be a rainbow and push the gloom away
And if it's dark, because the sun forgot to shine
I'll be a sunbeam, and I will decorate the sky

Pat Pattison calls rain/away and shine/sky subtractive rhymes because the syllable that completes the rhyme is one sound short of the syllable that starts the rhyme. In my case, and in both instances, the 'n' is missing from the second rhyming syllable. You've got mighty good ears to have picked this up! I'm impressed.

All the best,
Noel

P.S. I envy you being able to write good songs so easily. My method must seem very convoluted by comparison smile

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Sundance #292375 04/20/15 10:16 AM
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sundance
All around terrific Noel.

Especially love the chord progression and the harmony is fabulous.

Josie

Hi Josie,

Without exception, it always brightens my day to see you appear in one of my threads! Thanks for taking a listening and for the positive comments. If you're interested in knowing a bit more about the harmony, I explained it more fully in my post to floyd (a couple up from here). It was more good luck than good management.

In relation to the chord progression... When I first listened to the demo of the style I chose, it reminded me of the 50s so I hunted through my music books of 50s songs and looked for the types of progressions that were used at that point in time. What you hear comes from that investigation.

Thank you again for taking the time to review "Walk With Me".

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #292377 04/20/15 10:31 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel, I think we've said this before but your
songs remind us a LOT of Paul McCartney's
songs....not the hard rocking Paul but the
ones more like "Your Mother Should Know"
from Magical Mystery Tour. This song is
no exception to that impression. I won't
attempt to parse out all the reasons that
I think they are similar but overall arrangement
and the vocal delivery and the lyric stand out
the most.

Suffice it to say that it fills one with joy. What
more can you wish for?

I did read your process taken for the writing
of the tune. Like you I try and put down
ideas initially in the order for which I'd like
them to follow. This is sans consideration
of rhyme or beat, etc. Often that is a point
where I put them aside for a few days and
return to often wonder what the heck I was
thinking...but sometimes to continue on them.

But our approach is systemically different from
that point on because I write the lyric complete
with rhymes and sense of meter but Janice
develops the chord structure and melody on
her own. Sometimes I'll rough out an idea
for the chords but all of that is pretty much
her bailiwick. And for that I am lucky!

Regardless, it was fascinating to be along
for that journey regarding the development of
the song. Thanks hugely for taking the time
to do that and again for the wonderful song.

Your attention to all the aspects of songwriting
and the ensuing arrangement and production
is unsurpassed.

We continue to enjoy our listens.

J&B

Noel96 #292399 04/20/15 03:47 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel,

Someone else compared this to some of Paul McCartney's work. While I appreciate the lyrics and the effort you put into them, your mix, arrangement and the joyful sound of your singing is what makes this special for me.

Two BIG thumbs up from me!

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Noel96 #292406 04/20/15 07:27 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Noel,

Every time you raise the bar from your last song with your new offering.

I totally agree with the previous posters about the era this song should be from but I like Richmac's idea of Kermit singing it. No disrespect intended only praise given.

I read your pdf and thought WOW what a process but then I sat years back with a rhyming dictionary to hand as I wrote my songs so the process is the same, but different.I also once read a book about the development of poetry over the ages, forget the name and the book has long gone sadly and this was the closest I ever got to a songwriting course. I decided then that rules were to meant to be broken otherwise they would not exist. grin

Always interesting to see how other people write.

Wonderful song, good harmonies.
Thoroughly enjoyed

Alyn

User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Hi Noel

Loved this one from the first note. Love the swing feel. I think this one could be used in an upbeat çommercial. The little piano riff in the middle is simply gorgeous.

I had a look at the PDF and I can relate to a it. I have done the coursera course used Pat Pattisons techniques quite a bit. I am not quite as patient as you are.

Thanks for sharing your methods. Very informative

Hi Joanne,

Thank you. I appreciate the uplifting comments. The swing feel is what appealed to me, too, when I first heard the demo of this style. It's relaxing to listen to.

I think I must have been having a lucky day when I stumbled across the RT piano. It's great. I'll definitely be using that one again sometime. It seems to have a large number of regeneration permutations too. That's always handy.

All the best with your new project. Judging by the posts on here, it's going to be a great success!

Regards,
Noel

P.S. Thanks for reading through the pdf too.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
AudioTrack #292422 04/21/15 02:33 AM
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Hey Noel

What a great arrangement. And thanks for the efforts you went to to describe the songwriting process.

Very thorough.

Clever lyrics, great melody, perfect mix. Fabulous piano break.

Thanks for sharing

Trevor

Hey Trevor,

Thanks for taking time out to give "Walk With Me" a run through. I appreciate your comments. I also appreciate the smile they brought my way. As I said in an above post, I found mixing this one really challenging so I'm glad you commented on that. It's good to know that it worked for you!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
This was quite a trip to 'walk with you' through your lyric writing process in creating such a wonderful song. This has all the right elements present, good lyrics, nice, catchy melody, a great mix, arrangement and production.

Thanks for sharing your techniques and your song with us.

Enjoyed both.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I'm glad the document I put together was of interest to you. There are a few other things that I do, too, when I'm in the lyric writing phase of a song. Next time, if circumstances permit, I'll see if I can put together some added insights and I'll post those as well.

I appreciate your generous comments. Thanks for giving my day a boost!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
boehm #292581 04/22/15 09:51 AM
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Noel,

let me quote Trevor: "Clever lyrics, great melody, perfect mix. Fabulous piano break." and add great vocals and harmony.
The description of your writing process looks like a lot of work is going on.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter

Hi Guenter,

I appreciate your dropping in and having a listen and I'm glad you enjoyed it. For me, writing lyrics and putting them against a melody is a bit like doing a jigsaw puzzle. It usually doesn't fall into place easily but I enjoy the process of creating and it's a good feeling when it all finally comes together.

Thanks again!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
gruverider #292583 04/22/15 09:56 AM
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Love the piano solo and you have a wonderful musical lift in arrangement in the back half of the song.

I read the pdf and appreciate your effort in sharing it. I'm glad to hear that you have and are finding your writing voice utilizing the techniques that you have learned.

Keep up the good work and I will be listening to your next song and keeping an eye out for your underlying approach.

Hi Lawrence,

Thank you! I agree. That RT piano is terrific. I'm pretty sure that I'll find something else to use it in a little further down the track. Also, thank you for looking through the pdf. I hadn't thought about it as "finding [my] voice" before, but you are right. Following this process does allow me to bring some aspect of me to the work table and to use it creatively.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Wonderful song!! Love the happy, care-free, simple and sweet sentiment. I could see Ringo covering this if he was still doing solo records. Also, would make a great song for a scene in a feelgood movie! My favorite of yours so far!! Love it! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg. I appreciate all the positive comments. It must just about be time for a new work from you! I always look forward to hearing your songs.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
RichMac #292593 04/22/15 10:42 AM
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Noel. This is definitely up to your usual standard of excellence.
I like that you have a really good melody in your songs also.
This one makes me think of the Muppets.
I could imagine Kermit singing it.
Will go read about it now.
Great. Cheers.

Hey Richard,

It's always good to see you. Thanks for finding time to have a listen and to comment. Appreciate that. I, too, can hear Kermit singing it. LOL! That would be excellent to see smile

All the best,
Noel

P.S. I see you've got a new song happening that I need to comment on. You're a speedy writer indeed! I envy that ability.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
musiclover #292629 04/22/15 09:13 PM
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover
From the opening notes of this song just totally grabs your attention, love the style the instrumental layout, and you voice does it proud, a great song overall, would be totally in place in a movie about the forties or fifties or could fit in for any period.

I had a look at how you put it together Noel, thanks for taking the time to make this PDF. Sure is plenty of ideas in there to keep anyone going.

Musiclover

Hi Musiclover,

Thank you for the smile your comments brought my way. I'm also glad that the pdf was of interest to you. If time permits when I next write a song, and I do anything different from this time around, I'll post another pdf!

Best wishes,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Noel, I think we've said this before but your
songs remind us a LOT of Paul McCartney's
songs....not the hard rocking Paul but the
ones more like "Your Mother Should Know"
from Magical Mystery Tour. This song is
no exception to that impression. I won't
attempt to parse out all the reasons that
I think they are similar but overall arrangement
and the vocal delivery and the lyric stand out
the most.

Suffice it to say that it fills one with joy. What
more can you wish for?

I did read your process taken for the writing
of the tune. Like you I try and put down
ideas initially in the order for which I'd like
them to follow. This is sans consideration
of rhyme or beat, etc. Often that is a point
where I put them aside for a few days and
return to often wonder what the heck I was
thinking...but sometimes to continue on them.

But our approach is systemically different from
that point on because I write the lyric complete
with rhymes and sense of meter but Janice
develops the chord structure and melody on
her own. Sometimes I'll rough out an idea
for the chords but all of that is pretty much
her bailiwick. And for that I am lucky!

Regardless, it was fascinating to be along
for that journey regarding the development of
the song. Thanks hugely for taking the time
to do that and again for the wonderful song.

Your attention to all the aspects of songwriting
and the ensuing arrangement and production
is unsurpassed.

We continue to enjoy our listens.

J&B

Hi Janice and Bud,

I really appreciate that amount of time your must taken with my song. First to listen to it and then to write such a comprehensive post.

Every time I read a post of yours, I enjoy what you have to say because, without fail, I always learn something new in the process. Amongst other things, today, I discovered the word 'bailiwick'. I have never had a close encounter of any kind (third or otherwise) with that one. I like it! I can see that I'll be introducing that to my students for sure.

Thank you for all your supportive comments. They were absolutely the best way to start a day.

Best of everything to you both,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Jim Fogle #292745 04/23/15 10:57 PM
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JimFogle
Noel,

Someone else compared this to some of Paul McCartney's work. While I appreciate the lyrics and the effort you put into them, your mix, arrangement and the joyful sound of your singing is what makes this special for me.

Two BIG thumbs up from me!

Hi Jim,

You really know how to make a person have great day! Thank you for listening and thank you for passing on such positive feedback bother here and on Soundcloud. I'm very grateful.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
gibson #292906 04/25/15 10:56 AM
User Showcase
Noel96 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gibson
Noel,

Every time you raise the bar from your last song with your new offering.

I totally agree with the previous posters about the era this song should be from but I like Richmac's idea of Kermit singing it. No disrespect intended only praise given.

I read your pdf and thought WOW what a process but then I sat years back with a rhyming dictionary to hand as I wrote my songs so the process is the same, but different.I also once read a book about the development of poetry over the ages, forget the name and the book has long gone sadly and this was the closest I ever got to a songwriting course. I decided then that rules were to meant to be broken otherwise they would not exist. grin

Always interesting to see how other people write.

Wonderful song, good harmonies.
Thoroughly enjoyed

Alyn

Hey Alyn,

Thank you for listening and commenting. Like you and Richard, I have no problem at all hearing Kermit sing this. Wouldn't that be something. If only I knew someone who could do Kermit impersonations!

Thanks, too, for reading through the pdf. I'm pleased that it was interesting. I imagine all of us who post songs here have different processes that we use to create them. With music, I can play by ear as well as read and I have no problem creating melodies or improvising. With words, though, I'm very slow. Grass grows faster than I can assemble the final lyric draft. I know this because I usually mow the lawn at least once during the course of a song's creation. As I see it, the important thing is that I get there in the end. The method I presently use helps.

All the best!
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #292907 04/25/15 11:07 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
I know this because I usually mow the lawn at least once during the course of a song's creation.

Writing WHILE mowing is a GREAT way to write songs. Really. Or driving (but it has to be a truck - an F150 works great)...

Seriously.... writing while doing some other "mindless" activity is a great way to "get out of your own way" - and write a very SINGABLE song... (careful in the truck, though).

Noel - I enjoy your PG song blogs!!!

Noel96 #296373 05/23/15 09:15 PM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I watched with the biggest interest your channel on vimeo and I'd say : "It's exactly that I want to do ! " the perfect "chemistry" between sounds and images, here's the thing that I want to do modestly.

Concerning your last song, Walk with me, what I generally like in a song (variety, jazz, etc., no matter) is the harmony ; I particulary appreciate the chord ...mb5, that we call in France "diminué", (I don't know how to say in english), this chord is used on the "two", isn't it ?

I know a journey just for two

that gives a bluesy taste to your song, I like it

BIAB USER SINCE 2010
Sundance #296389 05/23/15 11:57 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sundance
All around terrific Noel.

Especially love the chord progression and the harmony is fabulous.

Josie

I agree with above.
Nice work.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,491
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195