Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#292783 - 04/24/15 07:30 AM [User Showcase] Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley)
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

This is part of Joanne's project. I selected Fools Errand to work on. A partial re-write and structural changes and this is the result.

FOOLS ERRAND

I will post the tracks later.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

As the sword chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer.

#292790 - 04/24/15 08:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
As I sat listening to this the 1st time around I thought this needs a solo and then it appeared. Really nice in the superlative version of nice!

Beautiful, wonderful excellent Herb, if those are good words for such an awful subject.

Joanne, You write some impressive songs and about some thought provoking subjects, well done!!
And you certainly picked some stars to perform the songs.

This is a mega project!! Anyway time for another listen smile

Alyn

My story

#292793 - 04/24/15 09:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Beautifully done!! Love the whole feel. I like that kind of heavy rhythmic feel. Vocals worked incredibly well. Piano was perfect. Herb was the perfect choice for this one. Another home run, no grand slam!! Take care. Greg

#292804 - 04/24/15 01:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Tracks and misc info:

Bass 1036
Drums Real drums Nashville even 16 HH ride
RB guitar 367
RB guitar 1538
Piano 1725
B3 688

Live tracks & midi tracks played

Guitar 1 Taylor acoustic mic'd
Guitar 2 Taylor acoustic mic'd
Guitar lead: Tele into my Mesa Boogie mic'd
Midi piano with sampled piano Piano part starting final choruses

vocals:

JT 2 leads, 2 layered leads, 2 high harmony, 2 low harmony, one spoken word track

HH 1 lead, one each high, mid, low harmony.... I cut myself short on the vox tracks.... some are in the muted track list.

total of 32 tracks in this BUT, not all of them are being used. 6 tracks are entirely muted. There are
4 busses in use.

FX include reverb & EQ, and Ozone. Melodyne was used on the lead vocal tracks.

Any other questions.... simply ask.

#292805 - 04/24/15 01:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Gibson & Greg..... thanks for the kind words. This has been a fun project from the start.

I'm glad you listened and commented.

#292816 - 04/24/15 02:41 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: New Zealand
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand

Magnificent!
One of the best, most interesting and well produced songs I have heard on this forum.
Don't know how you do it Herb and Joanne but this one is epic. Cheers.

#292824 - 04/24/15 03:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Online   content
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands

This is beautiful guys! The bridge in particular followed by the a capella part.
Vocals, everything sits well in the crystal-clear mix. A very nice ending too. And then we almost forgot the guitar solo!

Rob & Anne-Marie

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

#292827 - 04/24/15 04:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
A moving song with a great arrangement.

Lots of changes in texture which hold the attention right through.

Nicely performed with a good recording and mix.

ROG.

#292831 - 04/24/15 04:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Rich: I was thinking as I was working on this.... man, this is going to be an "epic" tune..... glad you saw that in this, Thanks

#292832 - 04/24/15 04:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley) [Re: RnAM]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: RnAM

This is beautiful guys! The bridge in particular followed by the a capella part.
Vocals, everything sits well in the crystal-clear mix. A very nice ending too. And then we almost forgot the guitar solo!

Rob & Anne-Marie

RnAM: The bridge didn't exist in Joanne's original version. Joanne had a really strong basic draft idea waiting to be polished and structured a bit. She had the chorus twice with different words, and me, being who I am, and how I think...suggested that we eliminate the "B" chorus and convert it into a honest to goodness bridge..... then, we needed to release the tension of the bridge for the final chorus......simple piano part with unison vox seemed to work perfectly there. The solo actually started life as an acoustic guitar solo, but again.... the overdriven guitar won the day. Thank you for listening and commenting. I almost passed on this song in favor of a different one but changed my mind ...and I'm glad now that I selected this tune. Joanne is a great writer and super person to work with.

#292833 - 04/24/15 04:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley) [Re: ROG]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ROG
A moving song with a great arrangement.

Lots of changes in texture which hold the attention right through.

Nicely performed with a good recording and mix.

ROG.

thanks.... I don't ever like to have the same thing going from one verse or chorus to the next....got to shake it up and got to keep it interesting. I try to think how, if this was a real band, on stage, how would the parts be arranged, to keep everyone in the band happy, and to have a moment in the spotlight....well kind of.....

#292839 - 04/24/15 05:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
This song is so impressive. Herb your input put everything in the right place and provided that extra little push to bring this to the epic proportions the song deserves.

Joanne, don't ever let anyone fool you, this project and the distinctive touch and uniqueness these forum artists are bringing to your songs showcase the fact you are establishing yourself as a talented, first rate songwriter.

Everyone one of the project songs have proven to be top notch and this one is excellent on every level.

Bravo,

Charlie

Edited by c_fogle (04/24/15 05:48 PM)

#292844 - 04/24/15 07:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Herb and Joanne,

It's very easy to hear the amount of effort that has gone into creating "Fools Errand". It's a terrific listen. Congratulations on a fine collaborative accomplishment!

Regards,
Noel

#292867 - 04/25/15 04:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Charlie: Yeah, I have to agree. Joanne is writing some really strong stuff..... a bit of polish and an edit here or there and the result is impressive. A word that occurred to me during the mix on this , especially towards the end...... Anthemic.

Noel96: This was a lot of work. Especially the editing of the tracks and the mixing..... but worth every second of that time. I had a song with "good bones" to work with so that made it easier and a ton of fun. And.... JC was a pleasure to work with. Thanks for listening and commenting.

#292873 - 04/25/15 06:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Joanne and Herb,
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Beautifully done!! Love the whole feel. I like that kind of heavy rhythmic feel. Vocals worked incredibly well. Piano was perfect. Herb was the perfect choice for this one. Another home run, no grand slam!!

+1 from me. Great guitars.

Guenter

#292874 - 04/25/15 06:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley) [Re: boehm]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
AudioTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Jo and Herb

this is a great remix. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks.
BIAB & RB2022(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#293078 - 04/27/15 09:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Hello all.
I am just back from a weekend of sailing so please excuse my absence from this thread thus far.

Thank you Herb for how you have turned this song around from dirge to epic.

With a few expert touches Herb made the lyrics more easily understood. He then turned to his production, vocal, arrangement and guitar playing skills to produce this wonderful version of Fools Errand.

Alyn – I certainly did pick some stars. Thank you!

Greg – Thank you so much. We appreciate the listen

Rich – Thank you. Herb has definitely made this one interesting and the production is excellent

Rob and Ann-Marie – Thank you so much. Are you referring to the spoken word part when you say “the a cappella” part? If so, thanks, I was a little worried about my delivery in the spoken word section.

ROG – Thank you. I agree that the changes in texture are exactly what makes this so interesting.

Charlie – Thank you. All the artists on this project are really making my songs shine! I love this forum!

Noel – Certainly a lot of work went into this production (and it shows)

Guenter and Trevor – Thank you both.

#293082 - 04/27/15 10:30 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Loc: Cremona-Italy
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

Hi

this is one of the most beautiful song I've heard
on the site

Great melody, voices and background vocal.

Very fine.

Hello

Sergio

#293154 - 04/27/15 06:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley) [Re: Guitarhacker]
gruverider Offline
Expert

Super job! I think maybe the combo of the piano and "protest" lyric bring John Lennon to mind.

I really appreciate the thought and creativity that went into the arrangement and its varied movements.

well done!

#293182 - 04/28/15 04:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: Fools Errand (Joanne Cooper & Herb Hartley) [Re: Guitarhacker]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Boehm: Glad you liked the guitars.... psssstt... me too.

Videotrack: Glad you liked it Thanks

JosieC: this was a fun project.... working with you was a breeze.

Sergio: Thank you. Yes, I think this song has a great melody in it. Especially that killer chorus....

Gruverider: I didn't start out thinking that this would be a piano based song. As I work, things just tend to take their own path.

I've said once or twice in the past that a song will tell you how it should be written and produced if you just listen to what it's telling you. This one is a shining example of that philosophy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows!

Here's what they're saying about Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows

"2022 is a true game changer, the biggest thing since the first RealTracks."
"Hands-down the best upgrade!"
"I always know I will love the RealTracks and this year is no exception. Some truly beautiful stuff in there."
"MicroChords is worth the upgrade alone. 4 chords per beat!"
"One of the most exciting upgrades to BIAB since I've been using the program and certainly the most fun to me!"
"Playable RealTracks + micro chords...WOW!"
"The new installer also makes it a breeze to download and install."
"Looks like everyone is in for a treat this year."
"I owned 2020 and now bought upgrade to 2022. New version is fantastic, I like the new features and styles!"
"I absolutely love the MC (microchords) up to 16 chords on a bar."
"There is something for everyone in the new version 2022!"
"This is a phenomenal update - really a game-changer!"
"Playable RealTracks are a game changer! Very powerful. Something we never thought could be done."
"One of the best Upgrades!"
...and more!

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows - Special Ends This Weekend!

It's almost over!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows special ends on Saturday, January 15th!

Save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Upgrade by 11:59pm this Saturday!

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows includes over 50 new features and an amazing collection of new content, including 222 RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Xtra Styles PAK 12, New "playable RealTracks" Hi-Q sounds, 2 sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2022 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!) upgrade it to the 2022 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows.

XPro Styles PAK 2 - Special Ends January 15th!

Our special is over at 11:59pm on January 15th!

We've added 100 new RealStyles more to our XPro Styles collection with the just-released XPro Styles PAK 2!

These fresh new RealStyles will work with the Band-in-a-Box® Pro package contents! In fact, these will work with ANY Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows package!

The brand-new XPro Styles PAK 2 expands your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 style library with 100 fully-produced arrangements including 25 rock and pop styles, 25 jazz styles, 25 country styles, and 25 folk styles.

Our XPro Styles PAKs are ON SALE UNTIL January 15th! Add XPro Styles PAK 1 or 2 to your collection for only $29 each... that's 40% off our regular price of $49! Want them both? Order the XPro Styles PAKs 1 & 2 Bundle for just $49!

Watch our Demos video, or pick and choose the demos you want to listen to when you visit our XPro Styles PAKs page.

Note: XPro Styles PAK 2 requires RealTracks from Band-in-a-Box® 2022 or higher and is compatible with any package, including Pro, MegaPAK, UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, and Audiophile Edition.

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows - Special Extended to January 15th!

You didn't miss out on great deals.... we've extended our special to January 15th!!

Save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Upgrade!

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows includes over 50 new features and an amazing collection of new content, including 222 RealTracks (20 more than we've released in previous versions), new RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Artist Performances, Xtra Styles PAK 12, New "playable RealTracks" Hi-Q sounds, 2 sets of "RealDrums Stems," and more!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! During our special (which ends Jan 15th), the Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2022 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 60 Unreleased RealTracks!) upgrade it to the 2022 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Video: Producer Secrets- Mixing Drum Stems with Band-in-a-Box® 2022

New with Band-in-a-Box® 2022 - Drum Stems! These are separate tracks from the different mics in the RealDrums recording. We've included RealDrums Stems Set 1 and RealDrums Stems Set 2 in our 2022 Bonus PAKs, which means if you've purchased your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 this month (December), you have access to this exciting new feature!

There's now a detailed video tutorial on mixing drum stems in Band-in-a-Box®, which includes tutorial files to follow along with: Producer Secrets - Mixing Drum Stems

Currently, drums stems are available for 50 RealDrums, but there are more to come!

Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows Bonus PAKs!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2022 during December, and you'll receive a Free Bonus PAK*!

What does the Free Bonus PAK include?
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 34: Blues Piano and Organ (9 MSTs)
-Instrumental Studies 16: Fusion Guitar Soloing (6 studies)
-Artist Performance Set 11: Songs with Vocals volume 1 (20 songs)
-RealDrums Stems Set 1 (20 RealDrums stems)
-MIDI Styles Set 84: Look Ma! More MIDI 7 (complete, 15 styles)
-Over 400 playable RealTracks (sfz sforzando files)
-RealCombos Booster PAK (30 New RealStyles, 26 Existing RealStyles, 109 RT's/RD's)

Want even more? Boost your Free Bonus PAK to the 49-PAK for $49 to add:
-60 Bonus RT/RD (20 more than in previous years)
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 35: All Guitar (5 MSTs)
-Instrumental Studies 17: Classic Country Guitar Soloing (6 studies)
-Artist Performance Set 12: Songs with Vocals volume 2 (20 songs)
-RealDrums Stems Set 2 (20 RealDrums stems)
-Look Ma! More MIDI 8 (complete, 15 styles)

Learn more...

*excluding the $49 version upgrade purchase.

Band-in-a-Box® - 'Twas the Click Before Christmas!

Order any version of Band-in-a-Box® 2022 for Windows (on sale until December 31st!) and receive a download key right away for use with our One-Click Installer.

Make it a musical Christmas!

Looking for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac? Version 2021 is available, and can also be downloaded right away when you receive your order confirmation if purchasing from us directly!

Forum Stats
35566 Members
63 Forums
73055 Topics
637266 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
xvqgdr6, Creeky, Alberto Chimelli, Cobailer, DannyGilfler

35565 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pipeline 241
Mark Hayes 230