M

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ouch! and then Ouch Again!!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Poor kid. Forgetting the words bad enough then falling ....yikes.

I sang the National Anthem once in a large arena at a college basketball championship game. I'd been sick as a dog with the flu but didn't cancel. It was simulcast on the radio. The place was packed. Out came the drill team all in their stance with flags flying and you could hear a pin drop when I started singing. It's very disconcerting because every note you sing echoes round and round. You really have to focus on what you're doing because you are hearing what you've already sung still echoing while you're singing.

Well, I remembered the words just fine but when I hit the high "free" my voice cracked really bad. The most bizarre sound came out of my mouth which then echoed for what seemed like an eternity. The drill team or color guard whatever were trying to keep their composure. Some people in the audience couldn't help it and just laughed out loud. I finished the song and walked off that floor with my head held high then slipped out the nearest exit.

Back at my local gig, I was so relieved when time went by without anybody coming up and saying well you screwed the National Anthem or pointing and giggling. So I have great empathy for any one singing it at a sports event. And I always have a good laugh at myself when anyone else messes it up.

Sundance

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
M
Yes, the Banner is well-known for its octave-and-a-half range, which is a problem for just about everybody, even those singers who are blessed with a large range.

Hard to sing, but beautiful.

(Am recalling another way to blow it, doing the broadcast TV gig audio right after the production company had made the switch from analog to 16-bit digital audio. Everything going very nicely until "free" -- that same note -- overdrove the ADC. Over the air they heard, "and the la-and of the thwaaaack!... )

--Mac

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Mac, My wife & I had to learn your anthem for an appearance, about 10 years ago, for a "Burn's Night", at the Hilton in Chicago..............no chance of prompts there! That appearance was memorable in another way.....we were marched into the ballroom behind a small kilted 'piper'.......who just happened to be the Japanese Ambassador to USA!! A charming guy who had learned the bagpipes over in Edinburgh. Regards, Joe G

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
M
Well, if I know our Joe, the performance was strong.

For one thing, knowing the song is what we are hired to do.

Joe knows that.

You can tell by listening to anything Joe does.

--Mac

Off-Topic
H
Apprentice
Apprentice
H
But who was this Jose it mentions?

Like the man said, "ain't that a kick in the head!"
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
M
They just wanted to make sure that Jose could see before the game starts...

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Jose Canucy?

Everbody know of him...
and Bythe Dawns, Earl Lee Light, ... all of them are quite well known
surprised you haven't heard of them..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Very funny!

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
M
I didn't post this to make fun of the poor lady.

Thought it better to view as a learning experience in the hopes that others might understand why I'm such a stickler for memorization of songs and lyrics. (Note that I did NOT say that I always conform to that myself. But I should. We all should. Our audience is worth it. Maybe there wouldn't be a dearth of gigs out there if there were less people reading the chart onstage and instead were focused on entertaining. Maybe. )

--Mac

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I have to 'second' the point Mac makes about concentrating on 'entertaining' in a live musical performance of any kind! IMHO.... breaking contact with the audience by....... (obviously)....... reading charts is a 'No-NO'. It's hard enough getting their attention in the first place!
In concerts, we have to play & sing 2 hours worth of material......remembering lyrics.....keys....guitar intros & solos etc.......No charts....live backing.... With our background in stage shows over here.....headline artistes were expected to be able to perform (at least) 12 -16 completely different 20 minute spots in a Variety Show Summer Season! Hard graft at the time, rehearsing....but you can reap the benifits later, when the material has been absorbed musically & lyrically. I've just spent 3 weeks preparing 2 x50 minute spots on Banjo & Vocals, for the Edinburgh Jazz Fest. As I don't do all that many Jazz Gigs on Banjo, I'm out of my comfort zone......so in order to be able to perform to any standard....I'm memorizing the whole programme......it also means I don't have to use my 'specs' to read the charts! Like many of us, Mac has learned the hard way! He is obviously an intelligent guy & very talented musician in many, many, ways.......& always willing to share his experience.......so whenever Mac gives advice....LISTEN!....I always do! Joe G.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So Joe, fess up, is that the 4 string celtic banjo or the 5 string Yank one?

The father in law has deep roots in Scotland and modifies guitars for 4 strings, claimed all his family played them....

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
John, I play a restored Weymann Plectrum (1930) Banjo......with, strangely enough..."Chicago Tuning".....same as top 4 guitar, but the technique is totally different.....& chord voicings too.RE the 'Celtic side'.....I also use the Banjo in some shows to play Jigs & Reels.....we have to keep the Scottish Standard flying! .....meanwhile....have to get my 'Jazz Head' on again for Thursday! Regards, Joe G.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I know I don't have the words to 'O Canada' memorized. Based on the logo on the jerseys of the players and the maple leaf on the boards, I'm guessing it was a hockey game held in Canada and a US team was the opponent. Probably a local Canadian gal who was selected to sing it.

Now, if I ever had to sing the Canadian national anthem on invitation, I would have the words memorized - but seeing as I don't have a powerful voice, I'll not have to worry about that situation ever!

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
That happened at an international game in Quebec City. To be honest not many people there speak english at all. In the end she sang neither anthem, but did it on ABC TV in the US without problem a few days later. She said she was just very very nervous.

The worst part of the Canadian Anthem is that you are expected to do it in both languages, switching around the middle, French first in Quebec, and English first elsewhere.

And yes the tune of the Anacreontic Song which dates to 1760 England, has a tough range. I have both that version, and a subsequent version that dates to an Irish printing where the words hail the creation of orphanges by English Masons.

If anyone needs the Candian National Anthem in Band in a Box format I have that somewhere here, I ususally just play the piano or organ and as it is usually for men I drop the key from Eb to C or Bb.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Forgetting your lines is one thing (but with your own national anthem...... anyway)
Not being able to get out of the situation and not being able to recover yourself is a whole different story.
A real musician has to handle these situations. I mean, how many of you can claim 100% faultles gigs anytime? (I certainly can't )The art is to get on, not letting the audience know there was a hickup in the first place. Chances are they'll never know anyway

Giving up like the girl in the vid did is simply not an option!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sure but remember, in Canada there is a hockey game starting almost all the time. Even in the summer every city has some arenas operating. I think we have 4 on the go now, plus the big 11,000 one downtown is running an international tourney. It is tradition that if someone sings well, they might get asked to sing. For good or bad, that might be the first time they ever did that. Plus, depending on the arena, the sound is bad. Add in the jitters, nerves, embarassment, and you get disaster. Imagine your first gig, and there in Quebec City, she's singing in English, her second language, in an arena with 18,000 people, and an international match to boot. Tough gig, and you don't get paid.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Citaat:

It is tradition that if someone sings well, they might get asked to sing. For good or bad, that might be the first time they ever did that.

Ah, I didn't know that. In that case we'll have to give her a lot of respect for having the guts to do such a tricky gig. Go figure: singing a tough song acapella without any support from a melodic intrument. And all that in a noisy stadium.

Citaat:

Tough gig, and you don't get paid.

Sometimes you'll have to do some things that don't pay up........at first.
Performing great on such a gig will generate publicity, and that might get you more (paid) gigs.
Throw out a small fish to catch the big ones, so to speak.

And apart from the money: I can imagine this kind of gig will give a great kick to the performer.

Last edited by Mike sings; 08/07/09 05:10 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,590
Posts734,770
Members38,501
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191