http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13124500

Style MIDI Instruments are : Acoustic Piano (1),
RealTracks in style: 1255:Bass, Electric, PopShiningA-B Ev 120
MIDI SuperTracks in style: 2103:Piano, Rhythm PopShiningA-B Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1850:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopShiningGrittyMuted Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1257:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopShiningRock8ths Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1258:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopShiningRockSync Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1729:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment PopBalladJohn Ev 110
RealDrums: RealDrums in Style: PraiseWorshipShine^01-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

When I Saw You

Guess I didn’t walk in here expecting anything

kinda tagged along for the ride

My friends said don’t just stay at home there’s nothing for you there

you won’t find her if you never try

too many nights alone not doing anything

it can do some damage to your soul

finding you has shown me that what i heard was true

best live our lives before we get old

When I saw you standing here tonight

For a moment there I thought I couldn't breathe

never have i seen a girl as beautiful as you

I hope i never wake up from this dream

I’ve thought a lot about it there’s things i’d like to do

a mental list of places to see

The more we share the more we have this is also true

I hope you’ll come and share this life with me

When I saw you standing here tonight

For a moment there I thought I couldn't breathe

never have i seen a girl as beautiful as you

I hope i never wake up from this dream

©2015 Thomas Adams

tommyad #295685 05/16/15 07:35 AM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Killer song!! Great groove, great arrangement, great vocal, and a chorus that really delivers. Really feels good-lively, energetic, and inspirational. Guitar solo rocks!! This song should be a hit. Love all your stuff Tom, but from a commercial standpoint, this is the best!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Killer song!! Great groove, great arrangement, great vocal, and a chorus that really delivers. Really feels good-lively, energetic, and inspirational. Guitar solo rocks!! This song should be a hit. Love all your stuff Tom, but from a commercial standpoint, this is the best!! Take care. Greg

Now...see what ya started...Greg is just gonna sneak in and write the perfect review just so we will quote him.. He said all the things I thought as I listened...
but from a commercial standpoint, this is the best!!
...especially that..

Radio ear candy.

I've already listened 5 times. There will be more...

floyd

tommyad #295692 05/16/15 09:11 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
hi,
good song and great guitar solo.

Hello.

Sergio
tommyad #295738 05/16/15 03:09 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tom,

Yes, definitely another rocker, melodic and with a great chorus.
Above all, a crystal clear sound on the mix. How do you do this?

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tommy,
Killer song!! Great groove, great arrangement, great vocal, and a chorus that really delivers. Really feels good-lively, energetic, and inspirational. Guitar solo rocks!! This song should be a hit. Love all your stuff Tom, but from a commercial standpoint, this is the best!!

May I quote the master reviewer, too?
I really enjoyed this.

Guenter

tommyad #295797 05/17/15 07:14 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Tommy,

Nice song. I like the groove. There's very little not to like about this. It moves along nicely and has a cool story line in it. I like the grittiness in your vocals. Phrasing is excellent and nice lyrical craftsmanship contribute to a well played song.

I would like to comment a bit the production and structure. Keep in mind that what I say here is simply and totally MY opinion on what could be done with a little bit of effort in the editing room. I think it would give you a nicer way to end the song.

2:11 you start the final chorus...at 2:44 you repeat it... then at 3:15 you kick into the solo......and solo to the end. Soloing to the end.... 16 or so measures, kinda lets the energy dissipate as it goes towards the ending. You wanna keep the energy high right up to the final note.

3:34.... would be a perfect place to hit the chorus for a final time, however doing so might take it over 4 minutes in length. That may or may not be an issue. You;ll lose 8 measures of the solo so that might keep you in the same total time..... or close.

Personally, I would take this to the editor and restructure the song slightly.... hit the final approach to the end with the chorus as you do at 2:11.... at the end of that, go into that cool solo.... but cut it a bit shorter...make it 8 measures to be precise.... that gives you the perfect place to go back to a final vocal chorus.... tag the chorus and end the song in a buttoned ending with a held chord. I would even look at slowing it down into the hold.....a one measure slowdown to the held chord would be killer. Make it a serious slowdown.

....If you tag it... sing the last line of the full chorus like you do now.... use that melody that ends on an upward movement....and on the last tagged line of the last chorus, take the last notes down... not up. Combined with a slow down, and the notes going down, that would be an amazing ending to the song.

This ^^^^^^ is nit picking..... It's a great song as-is and I'd have been proud to have written it...so rock on Tommy!!

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/17/15 07:17 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
RnAM #295832 05/17/15 12:25 PM
User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well Greg, You've already had two reviews of your review. That says it all. I am knocked out by your words. I got a great feeling when I read what you took the time to type. Thanks man, Tom
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Now...see what ya started...Greg is just gonna sneak in and write the perfect review just so we will quote him.. He said all the things I thought as I listened...
...especially that..

Radio ear candy.

I've already listened 5 times. There will be more...

floyd
What radio are you guys listening to? Maybe someday on BiAB radio. Thanks floyd. Tom
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri
hi,
good song and great guitar solo.

Hello.
Sergio, Thanks from one guitar man to another. Tom
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Tom,

Yes, definitely another rocker, melodic and with a great chorus.
Above all, a crystal clear sound on the mix. How do you do this?

Rob and Anne-Marie
Rob and Ann-Marie, first of all Thanks. As far as the clarity on the mix, it is a several step process. I use plug ins on all the instruments on almost every song. The real clarity comes in the mastering phase. My philosophy is mids are the enemy. So I concentrate on lows and highs and drop mids. Also I use an analog limiter turned up to just before it distorts too much as the final phase. I use Ozone 5 for mastering and tweak 6 out of eight modules to fit the song. Tom

tommyad #295843 05/17/15 02:48 PM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Think this is really one of your best rockers so far. The reviews have been spot on to the commercial appeal and the absolute sparkle of the mix.

Enjoyed this one a lot and will be going back for more listens.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
tommyad #295852 05/17/15 04:37 PM
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well, they've said it all. One thing I was especially impressed with were the vocals . They are simply perfectly mixed and delivered here.

tommyad #295864 05/17/15 09:26 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well the neighbours got to listen to your song this morning as I opened the doors and blasted it!
It needs to be LOUD!!

Was wondering where the solo was and then it appeared at 3.13, worth the wait tho'

YEH!! an excellent Tom song as usual cool

Alyn

Last edited by gibson; 05/17/15 09:27 PM.
tommyad #295870 05/17/15 09:55 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I was going to say this and then I was going to say that then add.
Its all been used.
If only I could speak another lingo.

Just loved it Tommy.
Rob

User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Tommy,
Killer song!! Great groove, great arrangement, great vocal, and a chorus that really delivers. Really feels good-lively, energetic, and inspirational. Guitar solo rocks!! This song should be a hit. Love all your stuff Tom, but from a commercial standpoint, this is the best!!

May I quote the master reviewer, too?
I really enjoyed this.

Guenter
Guenter, Greg's review was great. So thank's for the +1. Tom
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Tommy,

Nice song. I like the groove. There's very little not to like about this. It moves along nicely and has a cool story line in it. I like the grittiness in your vocals. Phrasing is excellent and nice lyrical craftsmanship contribute to a well played song.

I would like to comment a bit the production and structure. Keep in mind that what I say here is simply and totally MY opinion on what could be done with a little bit of effort in the editing room. I think it would give you a nicer way to end the song.

2:11 you start the final chorus...at 2:44 you repeat it... then at 3:15 you kick into the solo......and solo to the end. Soloing to the end.... 16 or so measures, kinda lets the energy dissipate as it goes towards the ending. You wanna keep the energy high right up to the final note.

3:34.... would be a perfect place to hit the chorus for a final time, however doing so might take it over 4 minutes in length. That may or may not be an issue. You;ll lose 8 measures of the solo so that might keep you in the same total time..... or close.

Personally, I would take this to the editor and restructure the song slightly.... hit the final approach to the end with the chorus as you do at 2:11.... at the end of that, go into that cool solo.... but cut it a bit shorter...make it 8 measures to be precise.... that gives you the perfect place to go back to a final vocal chorus.... tag the chorus and end the song in a buttoned ending with a held chord. I would even look at slowing it down into the hold.....a one measure slowdown to the held chord would be killer. Make it a serious slowdown.

....If you tag it... sing the last line of the full chorus like you do now.... use that melody that ends on an upward movement....and on the last tagged line of the last chorus, take the last notes down... not up. Combined with a slow down, and the notes going down, that would be an amazing ending to the song.

This ^^^^^^ is nit picking..... It's a great song as-is and I'd have been proud to have written it...so rock on Tommy!!
Herb, First of all Thanks for the kind words. Secondly, I listen very carefully to everything you have to say. I agree that I should have spent more time on the arrangement, especially the ending. I do like all your suggestions and they would make it a better song. I most likely won't revisit as I keep moving forward. But never say never! This song was put together a little at a time over the course of several months. I think I got a little lazy on the arrangement, but I started to get excited when it was coming together so I just pushed it out in order to get to the next one. That is not the way to achieve excellence. Thanks for reminding me. I will continue to look back at your comments and you will no doubt hear that ending you suggested in another song. You have made me realize that I need to spend more time on arranging. I appreciate the value of your comments. Tom

tommyad #295895 05/18/15 04:38 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Tommy! Wow!!

Can I just be speechless and listen to it over and over?

Standing ovation!!!

tommyad #295896 05/18/15 04:40 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Herb, First of all Thanks for the kind words. Secondly, I listen very carefully to everything you have to say. I agree that I should have spent more time on the arrangement, especially the ending. I do like all your suggestions and they would make it a better song. I most likely won't revisit as I keep moving forward. But never say never! This song was put together a little at a time over the course of several months. I think I got a little lazy on the arrangement, but I started to get excited when it was coming together so I just pushed it out in order to get to the next one. That is not the way to achieve excellence. Thanks for reminding me. I will continue to look back at your comments and you will no doubt hear that ending you suggested in another song. You have made me realize that I need to spend more time on arranging. I appreciate the value of your comments. Tom

I can appreciate your attitude of moving on....I tend to do that a lot with songs.... sometimes it's just easier to write the next one. Very likely, knowing what it would take to do the changes I spoke about....it would likely involve a complete restart from square one.... I know because I have done this on several songs. Especially when you know there's a ton of time and effort to get to where you are....and now.... start over?

Sometimes you can make a few surgical split/copy/paste edits and get it to where it needs to be. I did that on a song... I forget which one that was now.... but it worked flawlessly. However, to incorporate a tempo change.... nope... that's a render the tracks again deal.

I'd probably move on too and incorporate a bit more oversight and planning in the next one too. Sometimes though, the inspiration hits after you think you have it done....to re-do or not to re-do.... that my friend, is the question. I will leave that one up to you to answer.

www.herbhartley.com

tommyad #295898 05/18/15 04:47 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: tommyad
I think I got a little lazy on the arrangement, but I started to get excited when it was coming together so I just pushed it out in order to get to the next one. That is not the way to achieve excellence. Thanks for reminding me. I will continue to look back at your comments and you will no doubt hear that ending you suggested in another song. You have made me realize that I need to spend more time on arranging. I appreciate the value of your comments. Tom

Me too, Tommy, me too. I've started to slow down and not rush the production, but man is that hard for me to do.

Herb,

Your comments hit home with me as well.

tommyad #295903 05/18/15 06:41 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The cool thing about BB/RB is just how quickly you can throw a song together and get it up to speed in a decent mix.

But that can also be the downside to it as well. You get used to doing things quickly and you forget to slow down and think things through as deeply as you might otherwise. Finish one and you're chomping at the bit to get to the next one.

However... I look at it this way.... Back in the day when I used to have to attempt to make all the tracks myself, including the drums, (man I hated drum programming with a passion) it would take me weeks of work to get to a finished mix. I was very reluctant to toss something back then simply due to the huge amount of time already invested in it.

Now, I can pop one out literally in as short as a few hours of concentrated work. So.... what's the big deal with taking something that is "done" but has things that could have been done to make it better and scrapping it and re-working the project? What's that gonna take.... a few more hours.... perhaps a day or two? What else you got going on that has musical deadlines that don't permit you to fix something?

Now I do have to admit that I ran into that very thing with one song a while back.... there was a deadline to get it on for a particular listing to artists, and there literally wasn't time to make a change that I wanted to make. But things like that don't happen very often.

I like to let the songs set for a time in BB before I render them with RB and mix them. That way, maybe, I can avoid the entire..."wish I had thought of that earlier" syndrome. But if I miss something and think it would really take the song up a few notches, it's back to square one and get it done.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with everything that has been said thus far but this line,

tells the whole story!

Great song!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
PatrickH #295946 05/18/15 04:42 PM
User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Think this is really one of your best rockers so far. The reviews have been spot on to the commercial appeal and the absolute sparkle of the mix.

Enjoyed this one a lot and will be going back for more listens.

Charlie
Charlie, Thanks for the nice words. You know I value your opinion and appreciate your ongoing support. Tom
Originally Posted By: nobilis
Well, they've said it all. One thing I was especially impressed with were the vocals . They are simply perfectly mixed and delivered here.
Patrick, Vocals have always been a challenge for me. So for them to be picked out in a review makes it special to me. Thanks, Tom

tommyad #295985 05/19/15 08:25 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A big plus one for all the accolades that have been laid down regarding the song. We think it's one of your strongest productions out of many great ones and that your vocal simply rocks.

Regarding the arrangement...I think, and I've said it here recently, that arrangements, writes, mixes, and vocal/instrumental tracks are never really finished...they just have to be abandoned at some point.

Where that happens is based on a zillion factors including "ready to move on," "had enough" and perhaps just reaching a point of diminishing returns compared to the effort being expended. Heck even if one thinks they've nailed perfection six months later it get's easy to question things. Heck you could stop tweaking anywhere along the line and some folks might like it better there than where you ultimately take it.

It amazes me how so many of us have the same tools in our arsenal yet only a very few get this quality of sound. Every instruments sits perfectly In the mix. Nothing gets stepped on. There is no mid range mud. The soundstage is amazing. Yeah I've got Ozone and other tools but can I do this?
Heck no. Do I try? Heck yeah. Will I get there? Hmmm. I've mentioned it but your voice seems to take a quantum leap with each production. OK, I'm rambling but there is so much to like about this.

J&B

Last edited by Janice & Bud; 05/22/15 03:00 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,501
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195