Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#300751 06/24/15 08:23 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I found this a bit interesting, and I will explain further in a minute.

First, here is a current country song that is VERY popular. This specific video has over 28 million views.

Country

I am very aware that many artists have writers to help them write their material, or completely write their material. I have NO problem with this at all smile

What I found a little strange was this...

Rock

There used to be a video from the band for this song, but it has since been removed, and I can't seem to find any evidence of it.

It was sort of cool to see the two interpretations video-wise. The song itself, doesn't sound all that different to me.

Thoughts?

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
The song itself, doesn't sound all that different to me.
Thoughts?

Well....I'll chime in.

Neither version is very distinguishable from the other and both sound like all other 'country' pop songs to me.
IMO....they both sound essentially the same.
The 'rock' link just has a slightly raspier vocal deliverance.

That's my take on 'em.

Carry on....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 06/24/15 09:45 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Opinions are like anal sphincters...everybody has one.

At the risk of having my nose rubbed in it (again) this is my novice observation:

1. The Country version was so out of sync as to make it nearly unwatchable.

2. My vote would go with the "Rock" version for reason stated. There so little difference between them as to be insignificant. Neither version stands out to me.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
The first video was awesome! Great song...great video! Apparently, I am really starting to love this "Bro Country"! smile Gonna buy FGL's album and see what else of theirs I like!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I wasn't so much posting saying the song was either good or bad. Just amazed at how similar rock and country have become.

I'm personally a fan of it, but have always been a fan of both genres. For me, it's fun to hear the marriage.

I remember hearing all the comments about Alabama adding those "rock drums." Then of course some rock guitar here and there.

Now...I feel it's more rock than country, but still has a country influence. I guess it's a similar recipe, just different amounts.

I also hear a lot of talk about how country used to tell a story. It still does, just in a different way.

There seems,to me, to be a lot of generalizing about "dixie cups" and "shaking money makers"...there is some of that, but there is also still a story. Maybe not as deep, but still there wink

Overall, I'm glad it has brought country to a whole new demographic. That opens doors to influences.

Anyway, all of this just fascinates me. I love hearing all of your thoughts! Thanks for sharing them.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yikes. Talk about over the top melodrama. That country video flat out ruins the song for me. Oh yeah, just burn the house down and throw your phone in the fire that'll show her you really want her to come back and stay. Makes her look like at the very least an emotionally battered woman imo. Would I listen to the song again yes, would I watch that video again - absolutely not.

I like both versions of the song itself. I liked the minor lyric changes in the country version a little better than the original. I liked the original rock song's video since it doesn't go overboard imposing a bizarre plot on top of the song like a badly written soap.

My opinion. ymmv.

BTW, edit to add - HTL, it's the same song. Just a cover with a country arrangement and a few words changed.

Last edited by Sundance; 06/24/15 03:33 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:
BTW, edit to add - HTL, it's the same song. Just a cover with a country arrangement and a few words changed.

Yes I know.

The rock version was the original version. I just thought it was odd the video for the rock version has disappeared. It was basically shots of the band playing the song, but is gone since the popularity of the country version.

As you can see/hear the audio version still exists.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Sundance
just burn the house down and throw your phone in the fire that'll show her you really want her to come back and stay.

Wow! I have a totally different take on the video. To me it was the end of the relationship and he had finally given up and was leaving. In my mind, it was his house (kinda looked like a bachelor pad trailer to me), not theirs, and he was just burning everything he had because he thought it was over. Then the "surprise", which is revealed at the beginning, is she changed her mind and returned to find no chance of getting things back to where they were.

If I thought it was a house they shared I guess I would feel different about the burning down!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
(kinda looked like a bachelor pad trailer to me)

I have never considered "bachelor pad" and "trailer" being used that closely in a sentence.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:
I have never considered "bachelor pad" and "trailer" being used that closely in a sentence.

That's just funny Eddie!

For me, it wasn't about the video, just pointing out country and rock's overlap.

Now, about the video (lol), of course it's over the top. The TV and the internet does just about anything they can to grab attention. It's the nature of the beast. Even, or especially, the news!

The video isn't that new of a concept, obviously. It's got that hint of Romeo and Juliet. Sometimes things don't end perfectly, or well at all! Then again, the video implies it to a point, but we really don't know if they get together at a different point after this incident.

They country-fied it with a pick up truck and the dog wink

I did think the nature of their relationship was that they were together and now she was leaving. I didn't take it as they were brother and sister either. Although, in some parts of the country, maybe it's all the same? shocked

She did check into a hotel. When back at the trailer she did load the suitcase into the car. Was she visiting and planning to stay a day or two? She didn't have much...but it didn't look like they had much as far as material possessions..decent cell phones of course wink

For all we know, she was going to visit, saw the place and said "heck no!" and left. He couldn't get her to come back to that place so he torched it and moved on.

The bottom line, they don't fill in too many details. They give you something, but it's up to you to fill in the rest. I've never figured out if that's lazy or brilliant...here we are discussing it though wink

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
(kinda looked like a bachelor pad trailer to me)

Maybe because you live outside the rural south...

;-)

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
The bottom line, they don't fill in too many details. They give you something, but it's up to you to fill in the rest. I've never figured out if that's lazy or brilliant...here we are discussing it though wink

Given that it has 29 million views I'd say "brilliant" is the word you're looking for! And before everyone jumps in with laments of commercial success does not equal artistic excellence or some such nonsense, I'd like to make it clear I would happily play nude death metal polka if I thought I could get 29 million views! laugh

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Given that it has 29 million views I'd say "brilliant" is the word you're looking for! And before everyone jumps in with laments of commercial success does not equal artistic excellence or some such nonsense, I'd like to make it clear I would happily play nude death metal polka if I thought I could get 29 million views! laugh

I agree with your first point...and strangely the second. wink

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'd like to make it clear I would happily play nude death metal polka if I thought I could get 29 million views!

You'll never know until you try.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
nude death metal polka

Well, if I did this, I'm pretty sure I would get 29 million UNviews.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
let's see...gonna need my old accordion...and I'll need that Marshall amp with pedals to connect to...don't need pants...firing up the video camera!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There was a Reddit post several months ago where the guy did a mix of 7 different songs. Most were country, but they had the same chords, riffs and general sound. Georgia Florida Line's song was the basis of the mix, fwiw.

Trax

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Country has been rocking for a very long time now.... well some of it. You still have Trace, George, Stewart, and others who play music that's much closer to what traditional country.... Haggard, Jones, Twitty, etc, used to sound like.

Lots of new folks came into country music having grown up on Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Foghat, and so many other rock bands.... I was one who grew up wanting to be a rocker. Much of that changed when I joined a band...and I ended up playing country as well as rock. Money has a way of making you appreciate certain things. So.... I took the rock chops and style I played and loved so well and applied them to Haggard and Jones and the people in the places we played really loved it. Our band stayed working as a full time band.

Same deal with the "country acts" of today. They all grew up playing Skynard, Hatchet, Doobies, etc....and now they're writing and making money in "country music".....

Nothing lasts forever, and the kids growing up today listening to what they find musical will repeat this in several years.... and something new will take the place of the current crop of musicians.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"Stay"

I'd sell my soul just to see your face.
And I'd break my bones just to heal your pain.
In these times I need a saving grace,
but time is running out and I'm starting to lose my faith.

But if I told you I loved you, would it make you want to stay?
I'm sorry for the way I hurt you and making you walk away.
(I should have took the time to tell you)
And if I wrote you a love song and sang it to you every day,
would it ever be enough to make you wanna come back home and stay?
(I can't go another day without you)
Would it make you, make you, wanna stay?
(Girl you gotta know I love you)

My heart's on my sleeve, but it's turning black.
(I guess I know what it feels like it to be alone)
Without your touch I'm not gonna last.
(I know you know that I need ya just to carry on)
It feels like my walls are caving in.
(You'd always hold me before I left you hanging on)
And I'll do anything to have you here again.

But if I told you I loved you, would it make you want to stay?
I'm sorry for the way I hurt you and making you walk away.
(I should have took the time to tell you)

Yeah, the days are cold, the nights are long.
And I can't stand to be alone.
Please know this is not your fault.

And all I want...

Is to tell you I love you and make you wanna stay.
There's gotta be a way, 'cause going on without you is killing me everyday.

(Girl you gotta know I love you)

wink

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,575
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200