Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
BOTTOMLAND

I recently both created a video for and remastered this song that I originally posted last summer. We were delighted at the time and remain so that it resulted in floyd jane’s forum lead guitar debut. Thank you mr jane!

We always welcome your comments and observations and appreciate you taking the time to look and listen.

Vocal: Janice
Lead Guitar: floyd jane
Drums: RD Blues Rock
Bass: RT 564 Set 30
Rhythm Guitar: RT 566
Arrangement/Audio & video production: Bud
Mixing/Ozone 6 and Nectar 2 plug-ins via Logic Pro X
Rodes NT1 mic/Blue Icicle USB Interface
Photographs: All public domain with my effects via Pixelmator, Snapseed, Paint Pad and PicMonkey.
Video: Wondershare’s Video Editor 3.

A few notes.

Tom was on vacation last summer and floyd offered to try a lead for the tune. As he said in the first post:

“…I originally did this for practice - to see if I could record a lead guitar that might fit in a mix. Never done this before. First real lead I've ever done.”

Pat asked in the thread what the backstory was on the song and I wrote:

“I was thinking of oppression in general and how many millions cannot escape from it. The imagery just comes from my life’s experiences. Jerusalem Ridge is the title of my favorite bluegrass fiddle instrumental. It’s up tempo but ethereal and a bit spooky in melody. The sunken graves and the field stone — Janice and I are history nuts and bike, drive and hike around the countryside frequently. We often find old cemeteries for which the graves have sunken in and are marked, if at all, with flat field stones.

The heritage/lineage and the blood feud lines were to reinforce the oppressive conditions that the song’s subject was living. It brought to mind images of worldwide conflicts and strife and generational/cultural/religious/tribal issues, etc…Appalachia would be a good fit metaphorically. The last verse speaks to how in America for many, but certainly not all, situations you do have an option of leaving. ‘Stick out a thumb.’ It may not be a great option but you likely will not die for trying it.”

J&B
www.janiceandbud.com

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Janice, Bud, Floyd,
Great sultry sounding blues. Excellent lyrics as well. Really meaningful stuff.
SD

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
As usual, amazing singing over well-produced tracks.

floyd's guitar solo is appropriate for the song, but uncomfortable for me to listen to - none of the phrases resolve!

Good stuff.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Wow! Eerie stuff, smells of bootlegging, lynching and dark vendettas in a misty dawn.
Loved it. The guitar fit perfectly for my ears, added to the feel of hopelessness and gloom.

Chris
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi J&B + Floyd.

Very dramatic and well produced, but not an easy watch for a Monday morning!

But then, that's not what you were aiming for. I think the whole package is extremely powerful, both the song and the images and you've done well to match the two. Of course, Janice's vocal is superb.

Now I need to go and watch "Walking On Sunshine"!

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Brilliant song, Great singing, its good to do stuff about the not so pleasant things in life, makes us sit up and take notice.

Good playing from Floyd as well, for some reason the lead guitar sound makes me think of "Free as a bird" by the beatles.

The video adds a nice touch too.
Great production overall, Janice sure knows how to interpret a song.

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 06/28/15 11:45 PM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi J&B and Floyd,

Nice production, pretty sad imagery and lyrics though......
Good to hear Floyd playing the lead!
We are familiar with Wondershare Video editor, we got it for free with Giveaway of the Day laugh

Wonderful vocals as always and ditto production!

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
I'd forgotten how much I liked this! Also forgot what a cool lead FJ played! Enjoyed the video. Great song! Thanks for bringing it back. Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janice & Bud,

I listened to the old version, too. Can't find a difference in the mix. But the song, Janice's voice and Floyd's lead are as good as they were a year ago.
The video adds a lot to the message. Well done.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Janice, Bud, Floyd,
Great sultry sounding blues. Excellent lyrics as well. Really meaningful stuff.
SD

We appreciate that!

J&B

Originally Posted By: dcuny
As usual, amazing singing over well-produced tracks.

floyd's guitar solo is appropriate for the song, but uncomfortable for me to listen to - none of the phrases resolve!

Good stuff.

Thanks for the kind remarks! Yup, those guitar lines definitely built the tension and attributed to establishing the unresolved state of her life that I attempted to write about. I'll leave any further guitar response to floyd :-)

Thanks again,

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi J&B + Floyd.

But then, that's not what you were aiming for. I think the whole package is extremely powerful, both the song and the images and you've done well to match the two. Of course, Janice's vocal is superb.

ROG.

+1 to what ROG said and the color scheme really fit the mood.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Most of my adjectives have been taken.

Janice' voice was sultry and spot on.

Floyd's playing was very haunting and mysterious.

The lyrics and chording drew me into the storyline exactly as they should.

Very well done in every respect.

Thanks all.

User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
As usual Janice brilliant vocal, love the edge on the guitar, outstanding picking. Thanks for sharing!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sinbad
Wow! Eerie stuff, smells of bootlegging, lynching and dark vendettas in a misty dawn.
Loved it. The guitar fit perfectly for my ears, added to the feel of hopelessness and gloom.

Glad you liked it. And that description us very cool. Thanks!

J&B

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi J&B + Floyd.

ROG.

We appreciate those comments very much. BTW I had to look up Walking on Sunshine. Now that is the polar opposite for sure!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
WOW that is one dark video!! And then the combo of floyd on guitar and Janice on vocals really set the scene.

And as Sinbad said " Eerie stuff, smells of bootlegging, lynching and dark vendettas in a misty dawn.
"
Sadly it also is a perfect background to recent events in gibso-land.

Still my little sun-trap outside my back door records 41C at the moment, but only 25 in the front so that'll burn the gloom away.

You all should be proud of this.

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice & Bud, I like this now even more than the first time. This was a great write rounded out with the perfect vocal and just the right feeling lead guitar. Now the very well done accompanying video makes it a full on sensory experience. Kudos to the three of you. Tom

User Showcase
Wow...

The lyrics, music and video all convey the feeling of the person living through an awful stage in their lives. Trifecta achieved. The icing on the cake for me is how well this is mixed. I love it when I can crank a song to 11 and hear everything perfectly. This is sweet! Great job.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Brilliant song, Great singing, its good to do stuff about the not so pleasant things in life, makes us sit up and take notice.

Good playing from Floyd as well, for some reason the lead guitar sound makes me think of "Free as a bird" by the beatles.

The video adds a nice touch too.
Great production overall, Janice sure knows how to interpret a song.

Musiclover

Thanks. My video skills are rudimentary but from the time we wrote the song I always had some images in my head that I thought would work with the song. Fortunately there are tons of photos available in the public domain. Glad you liked it!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi everyone involved !

I thought I had
commented on this
absolutely supreme
tune so sublimely
played and sung, but
to my dismay I just
noted I had missed this
masterpiece BUT....that
is corrected now and, boy,
what a tune and voice !!!!

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey J&B and floyd.
This is a great haunting bluesy tune.
Very thought provoking.
Excellent on all aspects.
Rob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,570
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200