Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I'm very late to the party but glad that I made it. Everything that I wanted to say already has been said so again I will say how in hell haven't you three been signed!

SUPER!
Mario, I am always glad when you check in. Thanks for the kind words. Tom
Originally Posted By: Curt Young
Great song. I've listened several times to this one, and thoroughly enjoy it. A lot of talent, here.
Curt, We are glad you liked it. Thank you, Tom
Originally Posted By: 44Aceman
Love the feel, the drums and mandolin especially. Good vocals!
Kicking!

Kenny
Kenny, This was a bit of a challenge to mix with the acoustic and electric instruments . We were looking for a particular sound. And yes Janice can really sing! Thanks, Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gibson
Janice, Tom and Bud,

THIS is country as it should be, you 3 should be STARS!
Everything about this is just perfect. Vocals, guitar EVERYTHING!

This was the 2nd loud song for my neighbours today and the little old dear, as mentioned in my response to Rob Thurlow, waved again! (I was hanging out the washing at 6.45am and she was doing the same and she waved when I played his song loud) I'll ask her later what she thought of both laugh

A very good way to start my day, thank you

Alyn

Well, we can only hope the little old dear wasn't disturbed by a song about domestic violence. smile

Glad you liked it!

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Been out and away for a time.... so getting back to listening to the tunes here.

Nice one. I love the lyrical craftsmanship on display here. Some really good lines and Floyd pointed out.

The only thing about the song that I didn't like was in the end she thought it could still work and was headed back to "daddy". I know it's a song, but my sister in law went through this and through this and through this and we were trying to help her the entire time..... she was hit, threatened with a knife and lighter fluid/bic lighter, and more.... she finally got out and has stayed out. She's now married and the slime ball is also married to someone else.

All that aside..... hey, a really nice tune.... loved the steel playing.... I would probably have shortened the solo up a bit and turned it back around into the chorus but hey.... it works, so let it roll on down the interstate.

Good job to all.

Thanks Herb. It is disturbing and that made it a bit hard for me to sing. But like Tom pointed out the song emphasizes how co-dependency often results in this ending.

Janice

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The musical backing you have put behind your vocal is the perfect vehicle for this song. Voices blended very well together. Lot of talent showing here. Thanks, Torrey.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Tommy and Janice,

This is great!
Tom, we didn't know you also played the pedal steel, magnificent!
Good lyrics, vocals blend very well together.
All in all a very smooth sound.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Tom & Janice.

Very, VERY professional throughout.

Classy piece of writing with a classic country storyline and beautifully arranged, played and sung.

The only thing which I found difficult was reconciling the up-beat backing with the extremely sad story, particularly the inevitability of the last line.

I get the feeling this would make a great film.

ROG.

Originally Posted By: big741
This is a great tune. Powerful lyrics, a beautiful vocal and some awesome pedal steel and guitar work.

Bravo!

Thanks for the music,
Dan

Thank y'all so much for mentioning the vocal. It is really appreciated!

Janice

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Very nice.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
I'm very late to the party but glad that I made it. Everything that I wanted to say already has been said so again I will say how in hell haven't you three been signed!

SUPER!

Thanks! Mario, you are too kind.

Janice

Originally Posted By: Curt Young
Great song. I've listened several times to this one, and thoroughly enjoy it. A lot of talent, here.

Originally Posted By: 44Aceman
Love the feel, the drums and mandolin especially. Good vocals!
Kicking!

Kenny

Curt and Kenny, I appreciate what you said. Thanks!

Janice

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Tom and Janice ...

Some good old country music with an Americana feel. Great production and performance by both of you. We loved this ... some great sounds! Congrats to both of you ...

Alan & Di

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
The musical backing you have put behind your vocal is the perfect vehicle for this song. Voices blended very well together. Lot of talent showing here. Thanks, Torrey.
Torrey, We thank you very much. Tom
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Tom and Janice ...

Some good old country music with an Americana feel. Great production and performance by both of you. We loved this ... some great sounds! Congrats to both of you ...

Alan & Di
Al and Di, We've missed you. Hope you both are well. Thanks for the kind words. Best to you both, Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss

Thanks Torrey!

Janice

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Tom and Janice ...

Alan & Di

Well thank you and great to see you here!

Janice

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janice and Tom,

What a terrific song! Everything about this, from construction to presentation, delivers the verdict “professional all the way”.

I apologise for taking so long to get this comment posted. Word tells me that I first started writing about “I-75” back on July 19. I clearly remember sitting down, typing, deleting, typing, deleting for 30 minutes or so and not getting anywhere. There are so many good things about this song that, at the time, I couldn't work out what I wanted to say. So I shelved what I'd written and decided to come back to it at a later time when my thinking was less cloudy.

Tonight when I re-listened and once again read through the lyrics, it was like sunshine. What stood out to me most is just how powerful the sequence of rhymes in “I-75” is.

Let me explain…

At one of the first Pat Pattison seminars I went to, Pat spoke about how it's possible to construct verses and choruses by simply deciding on a sequence of rhymes and then using a predetermined poetic meter to construct lines/phrases that incorporate the rhymes. Working this way, the chances of using fresh and strong rhymes are greatly enhanced. It's a sort of 'reverse engineering' approach to lyrics.

Quote:
For example say I want a 4-line verse that follows the poetic meter of 'Mary Had A Little Lamb' (that is 4 feet, 3 feet, 4 feet, 3 feet) and a rhyme scheme of ABAB. This could be the first verse of a song where I want to recall (say) a childhood fear of storms because I'm going to use it as a metaphor in the second verse.

For rhymes I could use something like...

blue skies
shaking
paralysed
breaking

These rhymes come across as interesting to me and seem to conjure up a story all on their own. They could then lead me onto maybe…

no blue skies
thunder shaking
I was paralysed
Heaven was breaking

The above, when being massaged into the 4-3-4-3 meter, might undergo some modifications and lead me to a verse and chorus of...

(VERSE)
Black had drowned the blue skies
The whole world was shaking
My legs and lungs were paralysed
Heaven and Hell were breaking
Horror was awakening

(CHORUS)
When the storm rages
And the winds howl
Say a prayer and remember
Sooner or later they'll blow away
And they'll leave behind them a brand new day

While there's heaps of room for improvement with the above, this seems to have some metaphoric potential for the ending of a hostile relationship. The important thing is that I've got something started and it all began with considering rhymes. As Pat says, “Don't be afraid to write crap. After all, crap is the best fertiliser.”

Back to “I-75”...

When I looked at the end-of-line rhymes for your song, I found

Originally Posted By: Tom and Janice
night
fight
couch
blouse
survive
I 75

How cool is that! The verse 1 "I-75" story is pretty much there at the end of the lines in rhyme. Lyrically, this packs a punch because the meaning of the words that fill the lines will be amplified by the message contained in the rhymes. This is excellent lyric crafting.

If one applies the same analysis to the other song sections, it's easy to see that the rhymes are the amplifiers of meaning and emotion. Very nicely done!

You've got my applause. I really enjoyed my listens.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Wow Noel. Good stuff here. It is similar to a technique a college professor showed me way back in 1972. I still recall the sequence

Night (subject)
Dark, still (two things it is)
coming, going gone (three things it does)
It never stays long ( a descriptive sentence)
Night ( repeat subject)

Then use it for your template for lyrics.

My wife and I were discussing just this morning, after a song on the radio brought back memories of years past, how music is more than something we create, it is an energy we tap into that triggers something somewhere in our brain to recall images, places and conversations that are sometimes from decades ago.

Last edited by c_fogle; 08/08/15 02:50 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Charlie,

That's excellent stuff!!! Really excellent. And very, very useful. Such a simple weaving of words yet it engages the brain and unlocks a kaleidoscope of possibilities. So perfect for lyric writing. In the above, you've created a quality chorus (that's how I hear it, at least).

I'll be adding this technique to my tool box!

Quote:
Here's my effort with some poetic licence...

A love affair to remember (subject)
Blazing hope and joy (two things it is)
With so many memories, it sails the years (three things it does)
And never fades, never runs away
It's sunshine on a rainy day (a desciption)

I've tried to use the "-ay" and "-un" sounds in addition to alliteration and consonance to provide sonic links so that end-of-line rhymes are not needed.

How you've described music is exactly how it works for me, too. It does something to the brain that's very valuable for happy living.

A recent personal example is 90dB's cover of my song "Brighter Than Any Star". Even though I wrote the music and lyrics, and sang it a hundred times (at least) during the creation process, when I heard Bob's version, images of my sons when they were children flooded my mind. Not once did that happen when I was creating the song. For me, it was a love song, nothing more. Bob's interpretation added a whole new dimension for me that was a unique blend of his performance and my experience. I was very grateful to him for bringing me those memories. So much so that I put the song on repeat and just let it play over and over so that I could relive the past a little bit.

There's a lot yet to be learnt about music and its effect on the psyche.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. Thank you for getting out your Bic lighter and gently applying pressure to Bob smile

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I just love the melody and chords of the chorus!!! and the production is so super clean!

Great song!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert

Hello friends,

when it is expected the release of the 45s?
This is a great song that has nothing to envy the famous songs.

Very fine.
Hello.

Sergio

Sergio
User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Charlie,

That's excellent stuff!!! Really excellent. And very, very useful. Such a simple weaving of words yet it engages the brain and unlocks a kaleidoscope of possibilities. So perfect for lyric writing. In the above, you've created a quality chorus (that's how I hear it, at least).

I'll be adding this technique to my tool box!

Quote:
Here's my effort with some poetic licence...

Blazing hope and joy (two things it is)
With so many memories, it sails the years (three things it does)
And never fades, never runs away
It's sunshine on a rainy day (a desciption)

I've tried to use the "-ay" and "-un" sounds in addition to alliteration and consonance to provide sonic links so that end-of-line rhymes are not needed.

How you've described music is exactly how it works for me, too. It does something to the brain that's very valuable for happy living.

A recent personal example is 90dB's cover of my song "Brighter Than Any Star". Even though I wrote the music and lyrics, and sang it a hundred times (at least) during the creation process, when I heard Bob's version, images of my sons when they were children flooded my mind. Not once did that happen when I was creating the song. For me, it was a love song, nothing more. Bob's interpretation added a whole new dimension for me that was a unique blend of his performance and my experience. I was very grateful to him for bringing me those memories. So much so that I put the song on repeat and just let it play over and over so that I could relive the past a little bit.

There's a lot yet to be learnt about music and its effect on the psyche.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. Thank you for getting out your Bic lighter and gently applying pressure to Bob smile

Noel and Charlie, Thank you both very much for adding your insightful comments. There is much to be learned from your observations. Tom

User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gruverider
I just love the melody and chords of the chorus!!! and the production is so super clean!

Great song!
Gruve, Thanks for the nice review. We appreciate it. Tom

User Showcase
tommyad Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Hello friends,

when it is expected the release of the 45s?
This is a great song that has nothing to envy the famous songs.

Very fine.
Hello.

Sergio

Sergio, thanks much! Tom

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Tom & Janice,

Wow, what a song! As y'all know, I have been out for most of the past several months. I almost missed this one. Boy am I glad Noel and Charlie "bumped" it back up to the top so I would hear it! Like everything about it. Sad story, well presented in an ironically upbeat bed of music. Janice, as usual, did an outstanding job on the vocals. And Tom, you lead guitar and steel guitar work is stellar! Great job on the lyrics.

Again, glad I got to hear it!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
There are just so many songs in the showcase now, it makes it hard to keep up at times. What's really helpful is some members here have given recommendations of people to listen to for this or that. You sir, are one that has had repeated recommendations.

At the recent advice of someone on here I'm sure we both admire and respect I started listening to MANY of your songs. This song, even more specifically, was recommended.

I have to say, it's no mystery why. The comments before mine have covered things way better than I could.

That being said, I personally love "driving" type of songs a lot. This has that feel all the way around. It's amazing to me that you could have that type of sound work so well with such a strong treatment of the lyrical subject. It works, because you know what to do. I wouldn't have tackled it, I can tell you that much. Very well done!

Janice-"wow!" again. Her tone, timing and just overall delivery was what the song needed. The two of you blend REALLY well too! That chorus sounds SO good!

Production...emphasis on PROduction. Enough said there wink

Now back to listening to your songs. If you have any you feel particularly strong about, or are proud of, please shoot me a PM. I would love to put emphasis on those.

Great job again! I'm a fan!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,735
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191