#305880 08/09/15 03:39 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
How would I install SampleTank DXi in BIAB?

When I right-click on a track as directed,
I can see "Select Hi-Q midi synth patch..."
But when I select a patch I get a message saying
SampleTank DXi is not installed!

So how do I install it? smile

Using BIAB 2015.

Thanks!

BIABguy
BIABguy #305916 08/10/15 03:09 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Well while I am on a role and I don't want to keep you hangin. But, I don't have an answer for you other than I know this can be difficult/tricky - but doable. I had it all working nicely at the beginning, but then I install ST3 and things got confused (or maybe it was me).

Otherwise, my workflow does not use ST in BIAB. I generally transfer the midi to Reaper where ST3 works like a charm.

You have to discover "your workflow" to keep things moving smoothly, Good luck.

Try this.
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=224835

and this

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=393268&site_id=1

OK, I found the original thread - this one got it working for me back in the day.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=392701&site_id=1#import

The conclusion was "don't load the Dxi", you need to be using the VST.dll

Last edited by jazzmandan; 08/10/15 03:42 AM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #305968 08/10/15 10:53 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, when you have control over the synth to use (i.e., when YOU are selecting what soft synth to use and you want to use SampleTank, then use ST's VSTi not its DXi - at least within BIAB). HOWEVER, the default for Hi-Q sounds is the SampleTank DXi - you can't (easily) control which ST plug-in (VSTi or DXi) is called up.

Note, if/when you install IK's ST 2.5 (free or full) separately, I mean separate from a BIAB install, it installs both the DXi and the VSTi.

When you install the FULL BIAB it also installs the ST 2.5 DXi (it's a default check box item doing full install unless you unchecked it?)

Good luck
Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl

Note, if/when you install IK's ST 2.5 (free or full) separately, I mean separate from a BIAB install, it installs both the DXi and the VSTi.

When you install the FULL BIAB it also installs the ST 2.5 DXi (it's a default check box item doing full install unless you unchecked it?)

Good luck
Larry

Thanks Larry, it looks like I'll be needing more than good luck with this one. smile

I could use some hand-holding right now.
PG Music is closed at the moment.

I likely did not install the plugins when I installed BIAB.
However I just installed them now (Sampletank + others) doing another BIAB setup.

I still can't see ST inside BIAB.

When I right-click on a track Select HI-Q midi, I still get a pop-up saying "ST DXi is not installed..."

Also, does the ST that comes with BIAB (when it's working) last more than a couple of weeks, or do you have to register it to work?

TIA

BIABguy
BIABguy #305997 08/10/15 02:38 PM
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I think I'm getting closer to the heart of the problem.

As some will recall, I have installed two sets of Windows on my hd.

One on c: (regular Windows) and one on f: drive (Music Windows).

I booted into my f: drive which is dedicated to just Music Apps.
I did a another setup of BIAB and this time chose to install the SampleTank plugin (plus some others).

Digging around I noticed that the IK Sampletank folder ended up on c: drive !!!

BIAB asked me to explicitly state where my installation was going to go (for 4 parts of the program).

Since I am installing to an external hd (i: drive) I made the change to this.

However BIAB wasn't smart enough to figure out that I had booted from f: drive, and installed SampleTank to c: drive.

What to do folks to get this fixed?

Any experts here?

TIA

BIABguy
BIABguy #306005 08/10/15 03:40 PM
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Getting closer... but still not there.

I was able to install ST to f: drive doing a manual install.

So I fire up BIAB and it still can't find ST! frown

Arghhhh !!!

BIABguy
BIABguy #306008 08/10/15 04:00 PM
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Continue to do more detective work (wasting time?) and discovered that the last install on f: drive was not as complete as the install on c: drive !!!

On c: drive we have ST 2.5.exe plus a ton more files that were not installed on f: !

Manual install did not do the trick. frown

BIABguy
BIABguy #306009 08/10/15 04:00 PM
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
Does BIAB see it at all? When you go into Midi and you have the option to pick which DXi do you see ST at all? In mine I was able to select SampleTank then I had to click the PREFS button and repoint BIAB to where ST was on my drive. PREFs is the button to the left of the Large 2.5.

B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: pedwards2932
Does BIAB see it at all? When you go into Midi and you have the option to pick which DXi do you see ST at all? In mine I was able to select SampleTank then I had to click the PREFS button and repoint BIAB to where ST was on my drive. PREFs is the button to the left of the Large 2.5.

I have been making steady progress with this.
I'm not where I want to be exactly, but a lot closer than I was a few hours ago.
I can now see ST inside BIAB!

You know the expression, "It worked right out of the box."?

If only the same was true with BIAB. frown

The Band is great inside the box, but try and take it out and that's when you'll encounter all kinds of problems!

Let me give you just one example...

Error: No Hi-Q ST Instrument at F: Prog\IK \ST 2.5\Instrum\BIAB\BIAB

"Solution is to move BIAB instrument folder from here: F: prog\IK\ST 2.5\Instrum\BIAB
to here: F: prog\IK\ST 2.5\Instrum\BIAB\BIAB"

Now that makes total sense! Doesn't it? frown

BIABguy
BIABguy #306028 08/11/15 12:23 AM
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
That was the type of error I was getting and I used the live help and they pointed out what I was saying about the PREF button. You need to click that then use the browse function to browse to your ST installations Instruments folder. Once you do that then BIAB will be able to access ST. Hope that makes sense. If not I have found that the live help for BIAB is really pretty good.

P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
You really need to check out that pref button as it resolved my problem. I have my ST on my D drive and BIAB on an external and it works fine now that I have BIAB pointed to the correct place. You have to open BIAB as administrator then midi->midi driver set up then VST/DXI synth settings then see if ST appears as one of your choices.....if it doesn't then BIAB doesn't see it at all on your computer. If it does then if you select SampleTank then you can use the pref button to point BIAB to exactly where your installation of ST resides. Hope this helps.

B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
You really need to check out that pref button as it resolved my problem. I have my ST on my D drive and BIAB on an external and it works fine now that I have BIAB pointed to the correct place. ...
If it does then if you select SampleTank then you can use the pref button to point BIAB to exactly where your installation of ST resides. Hope this helps.

When you talk about the Pref button, which button are you talking about specifically?
BIAB's preferences or ST's?

BTW I got ST to show up in BIAB and according to PG Music it is now working properly! smile

BIABguy
BIABguy #306086 08/11/15 10:31 AM
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
When the ST interface is opened up in BIAB I see a pop-up telling me:

"You have 9 days left until ST must be authorized"

Is the authorization necessary?
What happens after 9 days?

When I clicked on the Start/Programs/IK Multimedia/Authorization Manager

I was taken to a step by step author. process.
At step two it said I needed to upgrade something.
When it tried to open my browser and upgrade, nothing happened.

BIABguy
BIABguy #306087 08/11/15 10:43 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Even if you are using the free version of the SampleTank that you get from PG-Music, software, you still need to authorize the software. You have to get your authorization number from the IK web site. When you register on the site you get access to "your area", where you can get all your authorization numbers and download links.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
BIABguy #306091 08/11/15 11:18 AM
Veteran
Veteran
You will have to update your Authorization Manager (we all did). Oh boy, get ready for some more fun...

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #306094 08/11/15 12:25 PM
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
The pref button is to the left of the big 2.5 in the red ST screen it is at bottom of the buttons. It will allow you to browse to wherever your SampleTank is installed. I tried to added pictures to help.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
prefs.JPG (14.07 KB, 109 downloads)
this is the screen with the prefs button
browse.JPG (25.61 KB, 108 downloads)
this where you browse to where you ST installation resides
Last edited by pedwards2932; 08/11/15 12:28 PM.
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
The pref button is to the left of the big 2.5 in the red ST screen it is at bottom of the buttons. It will allow you to browse to wherever your SampleTank is installed. I tried to added pictures to help.

OK thanks pedwards!

That is the screen I thought you were talking about.
Because the box is so small I can't see the entire list of folders but I'll assume it is correct. smile

BIABguy
DrDan #306125 08/11/15 06:28 PM
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
You will have to update your Authorization Manager (we all did). Oh boy, get ready for some more fun...

Thanks John and Dan!
I'm really looking forward to more fun and adventures! smile

I found it interesting when a PG tech guy told me that if I limited my use of ST samples to the lists that BIAB provides (not bring up the ST red interface) I could still use all the ST samples and not have to bother going through the authorization process.

Anyone try that route?

BIABguy
BIABguy #306289 08/12/15 12:18 AM
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
Since I have a full version of SampleTank that is registered I will probably use that.....but when you select find a HiQ sound it is pretty much going to use the BIAB sounds. I have to find out which channel the instrument is using and then load that sound in my full version of ST manually. So no I haven't tried it.

BIABguy #307113 08/16/15 10:22 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Doesnt all this messing about tell PG that there is something inherently wrong with the way ST installs/ works within BIAB and that a better solution needs to be found - a program within BIAB perhaps that auto installs it.
Why, for goodness sake, when I buy BIAB with ST in it should I need to go to a third party to get authorisation or it wont work? And worse, why is it such a mess to get working. If PG dont believe me - go look at the number of threads where folks cant get it to work. I'm a Musician - thats why I bought BIAB - NOT a computer Programmer.
Biabguy - I hope you are successful. Me? I gave up on it last year and dont bother with it now.

Last edited by sixchannel; 08/16/15 10:25 AM.

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,497
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195