B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I got sucked into this again!

Drag and Drop is a drag. frown

Why does BIAB allow you to drag and drop several parts in succession onto the D&D bin?

What's the point?

When you look in the D&D folder you will discover that BIAB keeps writing over each part!

So let's say you have dragged part one into the D&D box, that's fine. You've got P1 there.
Now drag part two into the D&D, that's not so fine. Because BIAB has just over-written P1 with P2 !

Ditto when you go for P3 and P4 etc. crazy

BIABguy
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Not exactly sure what you are doing here. What is Part 1 and Part 2?

BIAB D&D works great for me. Maybe my workflow.

I drag individual tracks directly into my DAW (Reaper). Or I drag the Master and have it separate to individual tracks. If I make a change in BIAB to a track I just drag it to my DAW to replace what is there or to play on a separate track. I save the BIAB file in my DAW project file so it is always available to regenerate tracks when needed.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
I didn't understand the question about Pt 1 and Pt 2 either.

Some DAWs require the use of the drop box as a holding area. Some DAWs require that the files stay there, but for others (SONAR is an example), the file is fully transferred and the holding area files may be deleted.

BIABGuy, to help, we would need to know what DAW you are using, and the exact steps you are following. What did it do, and what did you expect it to do at each stage.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Some DAWs require the use of the drop box as a holding area. Some DAWs require that the files stay there, but for others (SONAR is an example), the file is fully transferred and the holding area files may be deleted.

Just for more clarity, Reaper is one of those DAW's which "leaves the original source files in the BIAB folder", so my workflow is tell Reaper to "move the files to the project folder" when I save the Reaper project.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
I am a Reaper user and learned a long time ago to clear out my BIAB drag and drop folder right after every file transfer from BIAB. I've taught myself to automatically drag and drop into the Reaper drop folder and then immediately move those files into yet another Reaper folder (usually titled with the song's name). It would be nice to be able to just keep dragging and dropping files into the Reaper folder without the previous material being erased, but that's not how things are wired at this point. The upside is that the initial learning curve of the Reaper/BIAB drag and drop process did give me ample opportunity to practice my cursing! smile

just an old analog dog tryin' to learn new tricks...
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: SILVERBACK
I am a Reaper user and learned a long time ago to clear out my BIAB drag and drop folder right after every file transfer from BIAB. I've taught myself to automatically drag and drop into the Reaper drop folder and then immediately move those files into yet another Reaper folder (usually titled with the song's name). It would be nice to be able to just keep dragging and dropping files into the Reaper folder without the previous material being erased, but that's not how things are wired at this point.

This may be helpful, after you drag all the BIAB tracks into your Reaper song, "SaveAs" and be sure to check the box indicated. This will put all the BIAB files into the Reaper project file.

B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: SILVERBACK
I am a Reaper user and learned a long time ago to clear out my BIAB drag and drop folder right after every file transfer from BIAB. I've taught myself to automatically drag and drop into the Reaper drop folder and then immediately move those files into yet another Reaper folder (usually titled with the song's name). It would be nice to be able to just keep dragging and dropping files into the Reaper folder without the previous material being erased, but that's not how things are wired at this point. The upside is that the initial learning curve of the Reaper/BIAB drag and drop process did give me ample opportunity to practice my cursing! smile

At least one other here understands my frustration with this. frown

To be clear to others who have questioned me about what I mean...

When I said Part 1, Part 2, etc. I meant Track 1, Track 2 etc.
Sorry about the poor choice of words.

I drag Bass part (Track 1 if you will) into D&D area and Bass part is saved as a .wav file in BIAB's D&D folder.

Then...

I drag Drums part (Track 2 if you will) into D&D area and Drums part is saved as a .wav file in BIAB's D&D folder after it overwrites the Bass part!!!

Then...

I drag Piano part (Track 3 if you will) into D&D area and Piano part is saved as a .wav file in BIAB's D&D folder after it overwrites the Drums part!!!

etc. etc. frown

What kind of programming is this?

BIABguy
Veteran
Veteran
ok, I got ya now. But I have never seen that! crazy All the files have always gotten a unique name and do not overwrite. Let me check this out to confirm.

Yieps, you are correct. This has got to be a new bug as I recall in the past that BB/DragDrop directory would fill up with files and I would have to clean it up at times. But what I saw now is it indeed replaces the prior file, even though the name is different??

Not a problem apparently with my workflow since I have been using this for the past several days with no problems. But I can only figure it is not working the way it was intended.

Send this to support. Or perhaps we both need to do a return to factory settings. Let me try that next.

Last edited by jazzmandan; 08/10/15 10:18 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
OK, there is something strange goin on.

In my quick experiment, if I dragged .wav file they would over write each other and I could only get one file. If I dragged .wma files it would create two files for each track, one a .wav and the second a .wma. However, the .wma would then over write each othe. But at least that way I was able to get a .wav of each track when dragged individually into the D&D folder.

I suggest you guys adapt my workflow. It is much simpler.

Or, I assume you have been draging .wav. So instead drag to .wma and it will produce the .wav files. How is that for a workaround. crazy

B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
OK, there is something strange goin on.

....I suggest you guys adapt my workflow. It is much simpler.

Or, I assume you have been draging .wav. So instead drag to .wma and it will produce the .wav files. How is that for a workaround. crazy

Yeah that is strange indeed!
I hadn't tried anything other than dragging into the box to create .wav files.

You have a clunky solution. smile

Could you expand upon your BIAB/Reaper setup please for doing this? It wasn't clear to me.
I also use Reaper to work with my BIAB recordings.

While I'm at it...
Since it appears there are more than a few Reapers users here.

Do you know how to change the Reaper settings so that when you want to open a Media file (.wav) it won't always go to its default folder (which is miles away from the folder where my songs are stored? In other words, how can you change the default folder?

Thanks!

BIABguy
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BIABguy
While I'm at it...
Since it appears there are more than a few Reapers users here.

Do you know how to change the Reaper settings so that when you want to open a Media file (.wav) it won't always go to its default folder (which is miles away from the folder where my songs are stored? In other words, how can you change the default folder?

There are a lot of Reaper Users here.

I can tell you that Reaper has little to no internal file management functions besides the "checkboxes" to move/copy files in the "Save as" dialog. If you didn't start the project in its own folder, you should use them first to create a folder and copy the files to that folder. Each project should be in its own folder! So when you drag and drop BIAB tracks you then need to follow this up with a "saveas" with the "move ckeckbox" checked.

Lots of videos showing BIAB and Reaper, but maybe not this specific function. Let me put a little something together so you can see it in action.

In the meantime, for you Reaperites:
http://reaperblog.net/2013/07/reaper-101-file-management/

Apprentice
Apprentice
In Reaper choose "Preferences" then "Media" and check "Copy inserted media to project media directory". Now Reaper should copy your drag and drops into Reaper to the appropriate Reaper directory.

This vid starting at 14:15 explains it better than I can.

Drag and Drop

Hope this helps,
Dan

Last edited by big741; 08/11/15 05:07 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Darn, that's sounds even better than my workaround in Reaper. Time for a workflow change. Thanks for pointing that out.

Veteran
Veteran
From BIABguy's post it looks like he's dragging a second file to the drop station before he's dragged the first file out to a target. The 2nd file would have the same name as the first (something like Untitled Song BBBass_MIDI OLDPOP_1 36 Fretless Elec. Bass_SingleRender_DragDrop_0) and would overwrite the 1st file. If he wants to drag multiple files he should go one at a time, dragging the track to the drop station and then a target before he moves to the second file.

Thank you,
Kallum
PG Music Inc.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,608
Posts735,031
Members38,514
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian
38,514 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185