Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm having some problems with getting the Audio to play at the right place in my SGU.
In this example, I have the Audio ONLY playing in Bars 1 to 5 (executed by using F5 key), then it stops and other instruments take over. This is PERFECT – it plays and stops where it should.
BUT – when I want it to play again in Bars 26 to 30 it plays ONE BAR out of whack – i.e. it plays in Bars 27-31. SO my Workaround is to tell it to play in Bars 25-29. (It is also true of every other instance in the tune where I want the Audio to play).
That all works OK as a workaround but my question is WHY is it not playing where I want it?

Clearly the timing is right otherwise the opening bars would also be wrong – but they aint!
Any ideas?
Thanks
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ian
I haven't seen this before and I don't think I've got an answer, but I wonder if you could creep up on it to see it this behavior starts at a particular bar. Try making it play at bars 8, then at bar 12, then 16 etc. Work back and forward to see if this can be localised to always get out of step at a particular bar.

Then there's the old Return to Factory Settings trick, - worth a try maybe

Then there's PGM Support.

A few options

Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Ian,

I'm assuming that your work is in 4/4. Do you have 1/4, 2/4 or 3/4 bars?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi guys
its regular 4/4 and no short bars etc etc.
It goes out of step immediately.
If I bring the audio back in even a bar after the original cut (after Bar4 ends), its out by 1 bar. And everywhere thereafter. Doesnt get worse - just stays that bit out from the rest of the band! (Been in bands like that!!)
Curious.
Its the first time I've worked with an Audio track in BB so I have no pre-conceived idea of what is going on. But the Workaround is easy enough. (Note - I am using the audio of the song I am raising a BT for as it has a distinctive Intro and Infill part and I was using the Audio from it as BB can't create it.)
Ian

Last edited by sixchannel; 09/17/15 05:26 AM.

Videos-
Veteran
Veteran
I haven't encountered this, either.

I like Trevor's idea of Opt., Return to Factory Settings just to be sure the program is functioning correctly.

Then Noel's question applies, since your song has red boxes at several bars indicating you have changed something in those bars (could just be tempo, or patch etc. but it would help to know what, especially if it is beats per measure).

Another idea is to freeze the song and post it somewhere, like Dropbox, and send us a link here. We can try to verify the problem and experiment. I think we would need the audio file as well.

And there's always PG Music Support, as mentioned.

EDIT - I see you posted as I was typing. OK, no bars other than 4/4. I have only rarely used the BIAB audio track, but isn't there a one or two-bar lead-in? Maybe with that clue, someone can help.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 09/17/15 05:30 AM.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
OK - Factory Reset - everything still the same as posted.
This was the Workflow - The Song was run through ACW, BAR 1 was set and checked and then sent to BB. This put the Audio in the bottom track of the mixer (title seems to have auto-changed from Soloist to Audio) and put the chords up on the SGU worksheet. (Some chords were wrong but they were "adjusted" by me afterwards anyway.)
The SGU and Audio run in synch immediately and if I let it run it is spot on all the way to the end.
SGU here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/gb9uy8ffr0qe1ht/FRENCH%20RENDEZ-VOUS%20%282%29.SGU?dl=0
MP3 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/ni9xjwq8ddmgvgk/FRENCH%20RENDEZ-VOUS%20%282%29.mp3?dl=0

Sorry guys - I dont knowwhy they are not highlighting as links - you'll have to Copy and Paste.

cheers
ian

Last edited by sixchannel; 09/17/15 08:12 AM.

Videos-
Veteran
Veteran
Ian,

I've downloaded from the links you've provided but the files don't work. It would be good if someone can confirm this so that I know it's not just me.

Did you put them in the Public folder of Dropbox?

Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
Both links worked for me, I just don't have the time currently to test it. Will do later this night or tomorrow.

Edit: I just realized that I'm way behind Noel -- here it is 2015-09-17 23:27

Last edited by GHinCH; 09/17/15 11:28 AM.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Veteran
Veteran
So I tried it and it did the same thing on my machine. I also noticed that even though you turned audio off at bar 5, the audio continued to play through bar 5. If I turned audio back on at bar 26, it didn't come until bar 27. If I re-enabled it at 25, it came back on at bar 26 (which is what you want.

What I did do, though, was I took the WAV file and edited it with an audio editor, and took out everything except the audio that you wanted to play, and then removed all the audio muting in the BIAB file. That seemed work (as a workaround).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
This sounds like something similar that occurred on one of my projects some time back. In my situation, the audio timing issue originated from the ACW. I corrected my issue by changing one of the first bar options from a menu that popped up just before sending the audio file into BIAB. As I recall, there are 7 or 8 options you can change on how the ACW handles the first bar. You can change time signature, merge bar one and two, insert silence, etc. I normally insert silence but in this instance, I had to choose one of the other options and that corrected the issue. It's been long enough that I can't recall precisely which other option I chose. Not sure if you are having the same issue as me, but it appears to be similar.

Last edited by c_fogle; 09/17/15 02:22 PM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, that's what I was referring to. Thanks for providing more detail, c_fogle.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
I see the file problem was me... I've downloaded correctly this time.

I tried John's experiment below and had the same result.

Originally Posted By: jford
So I tried it and it did the same thing on my machine. I also noticed that even though you turned audio off at bar 5, the audio continued to play through bar 5. If I turned audio back on at bar 26, it didn't come until bar 27. If I re-enabled it at 25, it came back on at bar 26

It's seems that what is causing the issue arises before bar 5.

I think Charlie's thoughts are useful. When I get a chance I'll have a play around. It seems as though what is presently set as bar 5 in ACW could somehow be reset to bar 4, things might fall into place. (Not sure how that will impact on everything else, though.)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi
I changed the location of the files, if anyone wants to take a look.
SGU - https://app.box.com/s/ob1qdrg9ppylliard13753u6ekgkpi5f
MP3 - https://app.box.com/s/2wzypt7k8r98f57k7ny8eqe4hd41w212

I've played around with it some and nothing seems to change that one bar out feature that occurs after the first time.
However, I DO seem to remember (whether its relevant or not)that when the ACW had finished doing its thing, it shows a red line (is that its default Bar 1??)on the C7 (which is Bar 2 of the music)and I moved it to the first C chord (MY Bar 1).
Could that have been responsible for the resulting one bar adrift on the later Unmute - mutes?
BTW - the reason its Bar 5 and not Bar 4 was that the cutoff seemed a bit abrupt at Bar 4 and I was hoping to grab a bit of the reverb/decay in the start of Bar 5 before the guitar started to play and then clip the guitar out in my DAW. Results there are none to clever so maybe I'll go back to a mute after Bar 4 - or whatever it lets me do. lol!!
Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.
Ian

Videos-
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Ian quote: "However, I DO seem to remember (whether its relevant or not)that when the ACW had finished doing its thing, it shows a red line (is that its default Bar 1??)on the C7 (which is Bar 2 of the music)and I moved it to the first C chord (MY Bar 1).
Could that have been responsible for the resulting one bar adrift on the later Unmute - mutes?"

That may be relevant. ACW attempts to detect and set the first beat of the song and would display that as a colored line. The first bar needs to be set on the first down beat of the song, not necessarily the first note. It needs to be accurate. Therefore, if you determine that the ACW detection is inaccurate, then you would manually set the first downbeat using F6. In Realband, the ACW shows the tempo in more precise numbers whereas when using ACW in BIAB, the tempo is rounded. In either case, accuracy is the key. It is not uncommon for me to restart the ACW process two, three or more times until I see that the ACW is accurately reading the tempo in degrees of ten thousand's. Meaning the first numbers trailing the decimal point are zero's. 119.00782 for instance. You don't want your tempo variance to be in whole numbers. Of course, some songs do vary by whole number degrees if played without drums or metronome but that is different than what we are talking about here with your song.

You can visually see very small changes in the tempo in RB by resetting the first bar in several areas around the first bar detected by the ACW. Those changes you see that are thousands of a beat are cumulative and cause drift over the length of the song.

The different colors of the bar lines detected by the ACW are determined by the varying frequencies the ACW is detecting so you can easily lock into a specific instrument such as the bass for instance. It's a visual aid if you are using the F8 key to set the tempo.

Last edited by c_fogle; 09/18/15 01:58 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi - that seems to be it!! The Audio kicks in immediately so bars 1-5 are OK, but then any further requirements on that file are one bar out.
Many thanks!
Much appreciated.
Ian
Now all I gotta do is record the darned tune!! crazy

Videos-
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,626
Posts735,221
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Steve Smith, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185