Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#310562 09/16/15 03:24 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm a big fan of the classic "cry in your beer" song.
I was listening to some Ricky Van Shelton...he did a bunch of great ones:

Statue Of A Fool
I'll Leave This World Loving You
Somebody Lied (perhaps my all-time favorite - or a tie with Vince Gill's "When I Call Your Name")

No one does these anymore. It's a shame.
So...figured that I would.

My usual duet partner joins me to take this to another level...
(if you don't like hard-core Country... pick up your marbles and go home, 'cause you'll HATE this!)

LEARNING

well i never thought that i'd be learning
things this late in life
what i'm finding out
was never taught in school
you promised me a lesson
that i wouldn't soon forget
you proved that you can even
teach a fool

i'm learning how it feels to be alone
   gaining first hand knowledge of the empty
   that few have ever known
   it's an independent study
   i've done the work all on my own

had a lesson on sunday mornings
without you by my side
another on just what tears are for
it's a test to see if i can sleep
in this king-sized bed alone
i don't want to have to learn any more

gaining first hand knowledge of the empty
   since your heart turned to stone
   it's an independent study
   i've done the work all on my own

I LOVE that BIAB includes RTs to bring these type songs alive!

Style is _BMCS128.STY (Country12-8 Pno w GuitSolo[65RS])

RealTracks in style: 533:Bass, Electric, 12-8 Crystal Sw 065
RealTracks in style: 2167:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Country12-8John Sw 065
RealTracks in song: 1883:Piano, Acoustic, Soloist Country12-8John Sw 065
RealTracks in song: ~529:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 065
RealTracks in song: 627:Pedal Steel, Background 12-8 Crystal Sw 065
RealDrums in style: Nashville128^01-a:SideStick, b:Ride

Harmonies: Janice Merritt

You are the best, girl! And thank you, Bud...

Comments encouraged. Tears are optional...
Have at it.

floyd

floyd jane #310563 09/16/15 03:37 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You've captured this classic sound perfectly. Reminds of riding in the back seat with my Dad driving with his Miller in hand listening to George Jones on the radio. Beautiful harmonies. Love it!

Kenny

floyd jane #310575 09/16/15 05:18 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Holy George Jones Batman! As a born and raised hardcore Rock and Roller (I'm 68 and from Brooklyn!) I weirdly have had a special place in my soul for this kind of tune and your right, it's almost a lost genre. THANK YOU for this one, it took me back to a great place musically and for that I am grateful. Outstanding production values, meaningful lyrics and a great job all around.
Rick

It needs more cowbell!

https://therickhansenband.com
floyd jane #310590 09/16/15 06:48 AM
User Showcase
B
B
WOW well done!! Its gorgeous! Perfect classic country! I can just imagine this in a movie

floyd jane #310594 09/16/15 07:16 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd,

Damn!!
A stunning country song sung with such conviction as usual.

I can imagine you two singing this on stage, with the audience gently swaying to the wonderful tune, both of you deep in the words.

LOVE the stops/ emphasis, under the lyrics in chorus " all on my own".

This is an excellent lesson in classic country, beautiful.

Amazing that it is 3.55 'cos it goes so quickly and deserves many plays.
It's a lovely day in Wales and so the door was open and the amp wound up so the neighbours can appreciate it also.

Quote:
You are the best, girl! And thank you, Bud..
I whole heartedly agree, Janice's voice is astounding and compliments yours so well.

All in all that deserves a standing ovation to all involved!

time for another play.

floyd, and Janice, you keep getting better with each song. How do you do it????

Alyn

floyd jane #310610 09/16/15 09:31 AM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Great classic country feel with this one. Nailed it.

The icing on the cake would be a promo photo of you and Janice dressed circa 1970 in polyester and complete with the hair-do's standing in front of a wall with a huge NASCAR poster of David Pearson and Richard Petty dueling for first place coming out of turn 4.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
floyd jane #310611 09/16/15 09:35 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I have to say, your lyric writing is great, but your delivery makes it even better.

I always love your inflection!

Great song. Well performed!

Thanks for the share!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
floyd jane #310615 09/16/15 10:52 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Great song. I guess Learning is the one thing we never grow too old to do. I like it.
Carolyne

floyd jane #310650 09/16/15 02:38 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

though I'm not the biggest fan of hard-core Country
I didn't run away. The delivery is too good.
Vocals and harmonies are great. And the drums
sound is fantastic.
I drink my beer out of the bottle so it's hard
to cry into it.
But I enjoyed it a lot anyway.

Guenter

floyd jane #310655 09/16/15 02:51 PM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
For my taste, old school country music has to be really(!) well done for me to appreciate it. Well, your track is really well done!

You and your great singing partner sing the song with great heart and conviction, and you accompany the vocals with an instrumental backing that is both tasty and tasteful.

I find this kind of genuineness much more appealing than the more commercial so-called 'contemporary' country music. It's real, and it could be part of the the soundtrack to a Larry McMurtry novel.

floyd jane #310664 09/16/15 05:08 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautifully put together. Great vocals.

Rick Hansen #310693 09/17/15 03:13 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 44kfl
You've captured this classic sound perfectly. Reminds of riding in the back seat with my Dad driving with his Miller in hand listening to George Jones on the radio. Beautiful harmonies. Love it!

Kenny

Thanks, Kenny... driving with a Miller in hand... those were different times, weren't they (oooh.. that all sounds like the start of a song!!!)

Originally Posted By: Rickey
Holy George Jones Batman! As a born and raised hardcore Rock and Roller (I'm 68 and from Brooklyn!) I weirdly have had a special place in my soul for this kind of tune and your right, it's almost a lost genre. THANK YOU for this one, it took me back to a great place musically and for that I am grateful. Outstanding production values, meaningful lyrics and a great job all around.
Rick

Hi, Rick... nice to see you drop by... and always nice to see a rocker appreciating cry-in-your-beer Country! Thanks...

floyd jane #310737 09/17/15 07:30 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Its so easy to appreciate your delivery... your voice is such a good match for the genre, but unlike anyone else's... you have a totally unique signature sound.

And your collaborations with Janice are exactly right every single time... the two of you have a musical chemistry that just works. I'm glad that this forum has brought this musical team together, and I suspect you have a lot more great songs to come yet!

But even a sound as good as yours could potentially get tiring if you didn't keep it fresh... and your secret freshness ingredient is lyric writing.

Some people get lucky and come up with a really clever concept... some get luckier and craft the lyrics to the concept just perfectly.

But you have that special knack for doing it every single time! You are one of the rare song writers who has achieved the state of "conscious competence" in which you don't have to rely on luck or epiphany... you KNOW what works, so you can reproduce your victories.

In this case, I really liked the various ways you developed the theme of "learning" and tied it into the topic of lost love. Just MASTERFUL!

floyd jane #310754 09/17/15 10:28 AM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Being a beer lover, I love the "tears in your beer" feel!! Floyd, this song feels like it was born an old classic. Arrangement is great (love those piano accents) and the harmonies are out of this world (knew who that was before checking the credits)! Everything works great. Enjoyed much (as I expected I would)! Take care. Greg

floyd jane #310795 09/17/15 03:35 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Fabulous Floyd. I love this stuff.
Always thought that simple music well played (and presented) was the most fun.
Nice keyboard. Makes me feel like drinking. Cheers.

floyd jane #310804 09/17/15 06:41 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
As Charlie so eloquently said: Nailed it. smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
floyd jane #310814 09/18/15 01:29 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd, this is definitely another keeper, as is everything you do! Your voice is subtlety unique and pleasant. Your diction is clear and concise, very easy to understand.

+1 for "nailed it!"

floyd jane #310815 09/18/15 01:34 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I guar-en-damn-tee-ya... now that right there is country music the way it's supposed to be.

All good from the first note to the last.

I really liked the subtle BGV ... reminded me a lot of the songs Janie Fricky used to sing backup on. Of course Janie was a great country singer and a star on her own.... but her backup work is simply stellar. This reminded me immediately of her work in years past.

At close to 4 minutes, you didn't have a lot of spare time to do other stuff, but I could not help but think, this would have really been superb with a short half-verse solo featuring a fiddle lead. But it is what it is and time is of the essence in songs.

My only hope is that this style of country music makes a come back at some time. They seem to be heading in the opposite direction following along behind pop trends..... but we can still keep it alive by writing great "new" old country songs.

Good melody, good structure, good vocal performances, Great job on this.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
floyd jane #310825 09/18/15 02:30 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
My only hope is that this style of country music makes a come back at some time. They seem to be heading in the opposite direction following along behind pop trends..... but we can still keep it alive by writing great "new" old country songs.

this music will be alive for a long time to come... in live performances. The world of live music is a completely different animal than the world of radio music. Music festivals exist primarily to keep the old stuff alive. And there's a reason why so many bands play the same songs: they just don't want to play the new stuff

Pat Marr #310830 09/18/15 02:49 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Quote:

this music will be alive for a long time to come... in live performances. The world of live music is a completely different animal than the world of radio music. Music festivals exist primarily to keep the old stuff alive. And there's a reason why so many bands play the same songs: they just don't want to play the new stuff

There is much inside talk that says it is in the process of swinging back... it may be 6 months to a year before it begins to find it's way to the public (radio) - the "country rap" thing needs to finish it's run first - radio is typically a year lag to what is currently being written and recorded... But we may see the "story song" return down the road...

(it will likely be "different" than what it has been in the past - some type of "evolved" story/furniture song - an mix of what it used to be and the "new stuff" all jumbled up... time will tell...)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195