Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
MYSTIC CHORDS

Janice and I are both history buffs and I ran across this Lincoln quote a while back.

"The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature." – Abraham Lincoln, March 4, 1861, from his first inaugural address.

I couldn’t get the phrase off my mind and eventually it morphed into a song write. I had my ideas developed and the verses/chorus/bridge written but each time I came back to it I was more and more convinced that it was lacking - well, it was there but it felt cumbersome. So, I asked floyd to help me out. He quickly stripped it down, polished many lines, replaced a few and rewrote the bridge. If that wasn’t enough he, again, quickly came up with a great melody. Once more he made me feel like a bit of a writer smile To ice this cake that I’d been handed Tom (tommyad) made the whole mystic chord theme shine with a couple of fine acoustic and electric guitar tracks and floyd provided a tight harmony part to accent the lead vocal.

BTW, the Martin picture is Janice's old '18.

An oft told tale of the washed up musician but hopefully with a new twist or so. Comments are most welcome. Thanks for your time.

Lead vocal: Janice
Harmony vocal: floyd
Electric and acoustic guitar solo/fills: Tom Adams
Bud: RT’s and the mixing/mastering stuff

Drums: N’ville Even 16
Bass: 1036 NortherRockBallad Ev65
Guitar Rhythm: 1037 NortherRockBallad Acoustic Ev65
Guitar Rhythm: 836 AltCountryRootsy Electric Ev75
Fiddle: 1594 Pop16s Ev65 Outside Ev65

Mystic Chords

V1
endless gigs...endless roadhouses...
he never quit... he never counted the losses...
night after night... of near-empty rooms
sometimes just a bartender, him and his tunes

Ch
now no more crowds... no more cheers
he turns the radio up... downs a few more beers
in the corner, a battered Martin left for dead
while mystic chords of memory play... in his head

V2
behind the barn, the bus gathers dust
a Silver Eagle gone to rust
a million miles...a thousand towns
to find a stage, a pickup band, that elusive sound

Ch
but no more crowds... no more cheers
in the corner, a battered Martin lies dead

Bridge:
sometimes he still hears that roar
an ovation that makes his old heart soar

Ch
in the corner, his battered Martin.....dead
mystic chords of memory play

© 2015 B. Merritt (words) & floyd jane (words/melody)

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
This is a true A-+ in every sense of the word. It is a privilege to even be able to comment. WOW...

This is an A-game production if ever there was one.

Lovin' this one.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The fab three. I'm also a civil war buff and this poetic tune paints many a picture.
I can see that battered Martin, it has a crack near the bridge and the the top E string is missing but still plays magnificently.
Well done you guys

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Well Team, you've nailed another one for sure. What a great arrangement, and what fantastic subject material for the song. I really like the way you took that line and developed it into something else.

Floyd, Bud, Janice and Tommy, congratulations, take a bow.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
SRP Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Fantastic you guys! Should be playing on the top ten radio charts. I love the clean strong sound of your recording process and such a great performance from Janice and Floyd. All of you together have produced a great song! Great writing and story line and I will add that I agree with the other comments. It will be hard for you guys to top this one but with your talent I know that you will.
Sonny

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
MYSTIC CHORDS

Janice and I are both history buffs and I ran across this Lincoln quote a while back.

"The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature." – Abraham Lincoln, March 4, 1861, from his first inaugural address.

I couldn’t get the phrase off my mind and eventually it morphed into a song write. I had my ideas developed and the verses/chorus/bridge written but each time I came back to it I was more and more convinced that it was lacking - well, it was there but it felt cumbersome. So, I asked floyd to help me out. He quickly stripped it down, polished many lines, replaced a few and rewrote the bridge. If that wasn’t enough he, again, quickly came up with a great melody. Once more he made me feel like a bit of a writer smile To ice this cake that I’d been handed Tom (tommyad) made the whole mystic chord theme shine with a couple of fine acoustic and electric guitar tracks and floyd provided a tight harmony part to accent the lead vocal.

BTW, the Martin picture is Janice's old '18.

An oft told tale of the washed up musician but hopefully with a new twist or so. Comments are most welcome. Thanks for your time.

Lead vocal: Janice
Harmony vocal: floyd
Electric and acoustic guitar solo/fills: Tom Adams
Bud: RT’s and the mixing/mastering stuff

Drums: N’ville Even 16
Bass: 1036 NortherRockBallad Ev65
Guitar Rhythm: 1037 NortherRockBallad Acoustic Ev65
Guitar Rhythm: 836 AltCountryRootsy Electric Ev75
Fiddle: 1594 Pop16s Ev65 Outside Ev65

Mystic Chords

V1
endless gigs...endless roadhouses...
he never quit... he never counted the losses...
night after night... of near-empty rooms
sometimes just a bartender, him and his tunes

Ch
now no more crowds... no more cheers
in the corner, a battered Martin left for dead

V2
behind the barn, the bus gathers dust
a Silver Eagle gone to rust
a million miles...a thousand towns
to find a stage, a pickup band, that elusive sound

Ch
in the corner, a battered Martin lies dead

Bridge:
sometimes he still hears that roar
an ovation that makes his old heart soar

Ch
mystic chords of memory play

© 2015 B. Merritt (words) & floyd jane (words/melody)

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Well what a team! Like it all and particularly the chorus being quite restrained which fits perfectly with the theme of mystic chords. Cheers.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
WOW

beautiful
Quote:

memories take over when something has gone and you can't eradicate them,

Well done Bud, floyd, Janice and Tom for producing country at its best

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Thought I'd like it and I did. Well sung, well written and well played!

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
This is gorgeous guys!
Bud: I can imagine that these lines spoken by Abram Lincoln serve very well as a source of inspiration for cool lyrics like this one.
A lyric that will resonate with lots of people, playing or having played gigs, either solo or in a band.

I've been a fan of Martin acoustic guitars all my life, but never been able to afford one. The best I have done, many years ago, was an Ovation balladeer, which I bought secondhand.
But that isn't the same as a Martin.

The song has a beautiful country feel.
All the parts are very well done.
Professional work, as always!

Rob

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice.... I enjoyed that one.

Loved how you took Abe's quote and wrote a song about a fading star.....

Nice, tasty stuff.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
This is a true A-+ in every sense of the word. It is a privilege to even be able to comment. WOW...

This is an A-game production if ever there was one.

Lovin' this one.

Charlie

Charlie, we are humbled by your remarks. Thank you so much. And thanks to floyd and Tom for helping us so much with our work on this tune.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Well Team, you've nailed another one for sure. What a great arrangement, and what fantastic subject material for the song. I really like the way you took that line and developed it into something else.

A great collab by four pros.
I enjoyed this a lot.

Guenter

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
An excellent composition and arrangement performed perfectly. i especially loved the acoustic guitar fills. Thanks for sharing.

Chris
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
First of all, my thanks to the three of you for the invitation to play on this. I am seriously in love with this song. I think it is at the top of what y'all have done. The line "Mystic Chords of Memory" is a powerful statement filled with many meanings and images far beyond what four words can usually convey. A tremendous write, a tremendous vocal, and a tremendous arrangement and production. I also love the connection here- March 4[the date of Lincoln's speech] is also the date of my birthday and floyd's birthday! Congratulations you three on a brilliant song. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
The fab three. I'm also a civil war buff and this poetic tune paints many a picture.
I can see that battered Martin, it has a crack near the bridge and the the top E string is missing but still plays magnificently.
Well done you guys

Appreciate that Rob! I like your description of the old Martin. I've seen a lot of them over them over the years in all kinds of disrepair. I'm glad I bought Janice's waaaay back before the market went nuts.

J&B

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Thank you. We ALL fun with this one!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

What a gorgeous production, great acoustic guitar and vocals. Wow! Sounds really pro!! Love it love it love it.

By the way, I have bookmarked your sound cloud channel and am trying to do the same with all the regular contributors to this forum. Anyone reading please send me your channel or url of you want to so I can bookmark it. I am making a BIAB library so I can study everyone's "body of work" and have instant access. Thanks!!!!

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
What a beautiful song!!! The forum A team has captured "that sound" that made it my favorite era (a little Bonnie Raitt, a little Jackson Brown, a little Little Feat). Wonderfully organic and heartfelt. Vocal and mix are awesome and Tommy's guitars bring it right into your own living room. Truly a gem!! Great job guys! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: SRP
Fantastic you guys! Should be playing on the top ten radio charts. I love the clean strong sound of your recording process and such a great performance from Janice and Floyd. All of you together have produced a great song! Great writing and story line and I will add that I agree with the other comments. It will be hard for you guys to top this one but with your talent I know that you will.
Sonny

Thanks Sonny. Nice of you to say that and thanks for mentioning the mix, etc. Tom and floyd are so easy to work with and the best half of my marriage, Janice, makes it all so easy that I feel like I'm just along for the ride.

Bud

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
you had me at the first 5 notes on the guitar... SO glad you used it as a recurring motif! Lots to say here, but I want to start by saying that it reminded me of James Taylor's SEPTEMBER GRASS in some way.

I really like the chord progression on this song! I know you are a bass player, and the bass (upright especially) is not an instrument that is played with chords... so it is especially impressive to me that this song (and really ALL of your songs) tend to have very interesting chord progressions. Although some of your songs are public domain, and you inherited the basic chords... you wrote this song from scratch. I'm impressed.

All things considered, I like it a lot! As always, Janice's voice is just perfect.. no doubt she did this in one take... no punch-ins or re-takes... (am I right?) ;-)

Floyd's harmony adds a whole new layer of awesome, and the final combination of tracks work so well together, I'm not surprised to see the positive remarks being made by everybody!

Tommy played guitar?? Cool! Which part? Did he play the recurring acoustic motif that started everything off? Or the electric decorations later in the song? Doesn't matter... it's all good!

Y'all sound so good together, if you moved to Florida in between Floyd and Tommy y'all could be a band! I Knowwww... you don't want that... but I had to say it)

It is a touch of irony that the date of the speech from which you took your title was the same date as Tommy and Floyd's birthdays. Interesting.

Great job everybody!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,448
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195