Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Hey Floyd. You just keep excelling yourself with each song.
Thanks for listing buddy. Rob

Thanks, Rob...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Been absent from the forum for a while, again, so slowly catching and starting from the top gave me all the motivation I need. Great write Floyd and your productions keep getting better and better (if that is possible!)
Loved it!

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Floyd,

I read with interest about a "clash" in a familiar, straightforward chord sequence. Here's an easy to finger C#m7/B. In the picture below, the circled area is a C#mi triad, with the little finger playing B in the bass. So C#mi/B is C#m7/B with the mi 7 in the bass. Possibly this could be useful. Good tune.

Dean

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Csmi7B.jpg (4.96 KB, 88 downloads)
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
This one sits nicely in the Floyd Jane signature hit template. No two are ever alike but each song has a unique something that immediately marks it a Floyd Jane production.

You give us something comfortable to hang on to even when we journey with you into uncomfortable subjects. That is a particularly good talent to have and easily keeps you in the top 1% of lyricists and storytellers here on the forum.

Enjoyed this one a lot.

Charlie

Charlie - I really enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for that...

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Floyd,

Yes, another cool ballad with that typical Floyd signature.
Professional arrangement, very good choice of RTs, and of course beautiful vocal and backing vocals (TC Helicon?)

Rob and Anne-Marie

PS in our opinion nothing wrong with the bass smile

Thanks, y'all! Appreciate that....

Originally Posted By: RichMac
Very nice Floyd. Sounds a touch Jimmy Buffet to me. Smooth. Cheers.

Thanks, Richard. I was listening to JB before most of the world had heard of him, so there is bound to be a bit pop up now and then...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gibson
floyd
Quote:
i've walked my way across mexico
safaried the african plains
sailed the mediterranean
seen most of hemingway's spain

What a set of lyrics to start a song!
This is up to your normal professional standard with beautiful singing and an excellent production.

to paraphrase your closing remark
Keep at it laugh

Alyn

Thanks, Alyn. If only all "start lyrics" would come as easily as those did... they sort of just "fell outta somewhere"...(they did come from Buzz's stories - he actually did all that stuff...)

Originally Posted By: tommyad
floyd, That beach under the Ruins in Tulum is one of the prettiest places I've ever seen. I have been there several times. This is another gorgeous production and write. There is great melancholy and beauty in this song. I had to listen many times to the fourth chord in the intro. There is a clash with the bass and guitar that at first sounded quite odd, but I have grown to like it as it sets a tension up to dive into the 1 chord for the beginning of the 1st verse. I don't hear that one off note when that bar is repeated during the verse as the guitar plays the chord in a different position. I know this is being really picky. I know you are a perfectionist and I'll bet this didn't go unnoticed. So did you also grow to like way the intro hung on that clashing chord before it resolved? I hope these comments don't detract from the fact that I really love the song and am going back for more. All these words about one little chord choice. What the hell is wrong with me? Another Great Song! Tom

Tom - I mentioned earlier that I have changed the bass line to not walk down to the B, since the fingerpick guitar would not do it - and so clashed because it stayed on the C#... should have done it to start with, but you know how easy it is to "move on"...

When we were in Tulum in '81, the ruins weren't a tourist site (as they are now) - they were "just there" to walk around if you wanted... we camped in pup tents on the cliffs above the beach about a half mile south... there was a small thatched "gazebo" with a grill where some guy would cook whatever fish the locals caught that day - each night for dinner - our one meal each day, since there was nothing else there... heaven - best grouper I've ever had in my life! It would be tough to find anything like it anywhere in the world anymore...

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Thanks so much Floyd for your comment on Law and Order. It's much appreciated.

Now, what I was really hoping to hear is the workaround chord I suggested in the diagram turned out to be useful. Of course, whether that particular voicing will work inside the song is your call. As far as the "clash" goes, I don't hear it because my ears are used to hearing, say, the mi7 played by the bass. You can walk the bass all the way down just as it stands. I'm really not sure what folks are hearing, only that it isn't familiar.

Dean

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
A well written, well-performed tune. I've used that same perc realdrum in conjunction with another drum set -- it works very nicely in certain situations, like this one here.

In any case, another super song, excellent! You have a way with words that very few do.

P.S. I was on the later side to Jimmy Buffet, didn't find out about him until Living and Dying in 3/4 Time. But White Sports Coat, 3/4 Time and A1A were a major part of my mis-spent youth. I started drifting away from his albums after Changes in Attitudes, though. My friend got his first Nashville album at some point in time back then.

Last edited by Kemmrich; 10/22/15 10:33 AM.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: aleck rand
Thanks so much Floyd for your comment on Law and Order. It's much appreciated.

Now, what I was really hoping to hear is the workaround chord I suggested in the diagram turned out to be useful. Of course, whether that particular voicing will work inside the song is your call. As far as the "clash" goes, I don't hear it because my ears are used to hearing, say, the mi7 played by the bass. You can walk the bass all the way down just as it stands. I'm really not sure what folks are hearing, only that it isn't familiar.

Dean

Hi, Dean. By the time you got here, the "clash" no longer existed - that's why you did not hear it. I had "asked" BIAB to play that slash chord for me - which it doesn't do - it will do many slash chords, but the 6m7 with a bass a full step down is one the fingerpick RealTrack won't do...I tried a few substitutes, but never found one that worked. I recoded a track myself, but it would not sit right in he mix - so finally, I simply eliminated the slash bass note since that was where the clash occurred...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Another fj keeper! A departure from your usual, but a nice one.

Regards,

Bob

Thank ya, Robert!.... there are departures all over the place smile

Originally Posted By: SRP
I like the smoothness of your vocals and the band put me in the right mood for this song. Very enjoyable.
Sonny

Thanks, Sonny...

Originally Posted By: Elliott Kayne
Nice lyric, great mix, good song, good vocals, nice use of real tracks. Great Work!

Elliot - appreciate that - have not seen you around in quite some time thanks for dropping by....

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Floyd, I get it. It's fairly typical for BIAB not to have certain chords in the vocabulary of any particular style and I worked out a million tricks to get it play what I wanted - and all of them used slash chords. It turns out that the freakiest chords you've ever seen can always be rewritten as "stacked triads," which generalize slash chords. Instead of a single note in the bass, you have entire triads. Will BIAB will ever advance to that stage? I doubt it because there's likely to be little call for them.

In any case, I see your name all over the Forum page. You seem to have unlimited imagination and all the necessary chops to bang across whatever's in your head. You're one of a kind.

Dean

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
One of my favorites ever from one of my favorites ever!! Beautifully done. I love songs that are reflective and poetic. This one hangs in there with the greats of Jimmy Webb, Floyd. It is just a pleasure to listen to. From an art of songwriting perspective, this is a wonderful lesson. It is crafted by a fine artisan with each word and note placed with tenderness and care. Absolutely love it!! Take care. Greg

Greg - excuse me... while I SAVOR this review....

Thank you for that..... (Jimmy Webb - HA!)

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Been absent from the forum for a while, again, so slowly catching and starting from the top gave me all the motivation I need. Great write Floyd and your productions keep getting better and better (if that is possible!)
Loved it!

Thanks for dropping by, Joanne...

Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
A well written, well-performed tune. I've used that same perc realdrum in conjunction with another drum set -- it works very nicely in certain situations, like this one here.

In any case, another super song, excellent! You have a way with words that very few do.

P.S. I was on the later side to Jimmy Buffet, didn't find out about him until Living and Dying in 3/4 Time. But White Sports Coat, 3/4 Time and A1A were a major part of my mis-spent youth. I started drifting away from his albums after Changes in Attitudes, though. My friend got his first Nashville album at some point in time back then.

Thanks, Kevin. I heard "Sport Coat" before it was released to the public - my buddy and I used to rummage through LPs at our local radio station - Easy Listening, so all the good stuff went to boxes in the basement - When we started playing in bars at 17, we called our duo "Pencil Thin Mustache"...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Man, what a write. A literate but not at all pretentious love song. That's
a hard target to hit. A veritable clinic in how to write this type of tune.
The RT/Drums/Percussion choice is both interesting and very
supportive of the lyric and the typical fine vocal. With an instrument
like your voice mixing it up front like this is perfect. The harmony
is as lush as the strings.

Another great tune rolls outa the palatial jane studios!

J&B

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,306
Posts731,341
Members38,410
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213