Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
gibson Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It is possible to have 2 instances of BIAB running independently at the same time and I thought last night that it would be great to be able to have one as the master and the other as a slave so the transport buttons on the master, including generate, control the other instance.

I know Real Band can have many tracks of RTs but I cannot get my head around that program. I am trying but my brain won't let me blush as I am so used to BIAB's gui.

What do other forumites think?

Alyn

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Hmmmm. That's actually got some merit. For those who run out of tracks in BiaB and are unable to use RB, this could be a great solution.
Definitely worthy of looking at.
+1

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Alyn, a while ago I suggested that BiaB open up all 16 tracks. Right now 5 are open for RTs/MIDI, 1 for Melody and 1 for soloist. These are the only ones open, all the rest are dedicated. Why not let the user use any track anyway they want. If they want 16 RTs/RDs, 16 tracks of MIDI or 16 tracks of RTs/RDs and MIDI why not let them.

I bring this up because I think we both would like more tracks and as I can not get and/or do not want to get into RB.

YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Actually, Mario, I'm not sure why we need to stop at 16. Sure we could have 16 MIDI tracks, but we should be able to have any number of additional audio tracks (for RealTracks, RealDrums, or your own recorded instruments and vocals).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Like others have mentioned, I think the 7 tracks is a Byte limitation thing, and probably requires a major rework. That single byte of storage probably gets allocated all over the place.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
As I mentioned in earlier posts about this, BIAB uses more tracks for behind-the-scenes things than most people realize. This includes tracks for harmony and for guitar strings. It adds up to the MIDI standard limit of 16 quite quickly. Now, if they got a second bank of 16 going...

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
Actually, Mario, I'm not sure why we need to stop at 16. Sure we could have 16 MIDI tracks, but we should be able to have any number of additional audio tracks (for RealTracks, RealDrums, or your own recorded instruments and vocals).

Very good point John, I agree.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
As I mentioned in earlier posts about this, BIAB uses more tracks for behind-the-scenes things than most people realize. This includes tracks for harmony and for guitar strings. It adds up to the MIDI standard limit of 16 quite quickly. Now, if they got a second bank of 16 going...

Yes Matt that is my point. If all of these were open we could assign them to meet our needs. Questions like why set assign 6 tracks for a MIDI guitar controller? Why do keyboard and other players need this? Every guitarist with a guitar MIDI controller knows or should know how to set up his controller to a program regardless if that program is BiaB, a DAW or a stand-a-lone sound source.

I believe that PGMusics costumer base is a lot smarter that they them credit. Plus setting up tracks and channels for additional instruments would be a lot easier that using jBridge with 64 bit VSTis.

This is just my views and YMMV.

No wars please. These are just my thought, right or wrong.

PS - unless as Video Tracks states it's in the code. If it is this is just another justification for a complete rewrite IMHO.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Mario -

The six channels for guitar (which you have to select to use, or depending upon certain styles) use a different channel for each string. That way, for example, you can have one string playing with different settings than another string.

This feature was introduced way back in version 10 (not 2010, but version 10 from 2001). The feature description is:

Quote:
Six Channel Guitar files - MIDI guitar performances for Rock or Country involving bends and slides sound best when output on 6 MIDI channels at once (i.e. a separate channel for each string). This mode is fully supported in Version 10 so that these types of files can be played back perfectly. The "Master Country Guitar Solos" files are good
examples of the need for this feature. Furthermore, "bent notes" can be displayed in blue, and there's even an option to convert the pitch bend range of any guitar tracks and to Insert Visual Bent Notes as a controller event option.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Yes John I know but like I indicated what good is this for anyone other than a MIDI guitar controller? Like I also indicated anyone with a MIDI guitar controller should know how to set it up, regardless of the program they are using. Note that I have a MIDI guitar controller.

Again, just my thoughts, right or wrong.

Last edited by MarioD; 10/20/15 09:39 AM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Exactly John; that's describing part of how it is designed now.

Mario I fully support the request to allow the user to put whatever is desired on each track! Then the original request of this thread, to chain copies of BIAB, would not be needed. And I agree with you also on the sophistication of much of our consumer base (even our "costumer" base, at Halloween).

+1 for whatever works, absolutely.

Afterthought: in some other software, limiting tracks appears to be a marketing function, not a technical one (assuming you have sufficient RAM and storage). The more you pay, the more tracks become available for your use in each version. I would pay for more in BIAB.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 10/20/15 09:53 AM.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
The six channels are also used by what BIAB calls "Guitar Styles", styles that use the "guitar macro" to create riffs (no MIDI guitar controller needed). These are the styles in stylepicker that starts with an exclamation point.

John

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
The six channels are also used by what BIAB calls "Guitar Styles", styles that use the "guitar macro" to create riffs (no MIDI guitar controller needed). These are the styles in stylepicker that starts with an exclamation point.

Thanx John, I had forgotten about that,

CRS strikes again!

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Expert
Expert
S
More tracks ? BB will end up becoming a DAW, we wouldn't want that ?
If the VST Sync was working you could easily add more tracks with VSTs like Temper as you just drag the tracks in from the drop station.

A lot of difficulties arise when people buy Biab not realizing there is RB as all the Marketing is all about "BB" so they have spent all their time learning BB and by then it is too late to drive a manual car so they are stuck with only being able to drive an auto.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
gibson Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wow!! I should have explained a bit more:
On the night I thought of this I had 2 copies of BIAB running at the same time, same song, slightly different chords but both all RTs, and I noticed the arrangement seemed incredibly busy when I pressed play on the top copy. I pressed stop and "the song carried on" as somehow the 2nd copy had also started playing, nearly in time but not quite. I could tell that from the drum track.
The "front" copy had needed to regenerate but I don't remember about the "back" copy.
I have tried to duplicate but with no success of course smile

I remember reading about the subject mentioned by Mario and this is why I started a new wish as somehow my computer showed that linking 2 BIABs could be done; it worked by accident so maybe it could work by design.

Alyn

Last edited by gibson; 10/20/15 11:02 PM. Reason: clarifying myself
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
In my view you are better off using a separate sequencer, and merging the 2 together, most of mine use all 16 tracks by the time they are done.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Back to the original request: Alyn,I don't understand how your 'accident' could even have happened. Only one window can have focus at one time, so I can't see how the same song could play in time (or close to it). Was the song frozen? Is there an audio track with the same name?

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
gibson Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Cheers sonic,
I usually use drag n drop from BIAB to my DAW

Alyn

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
gibson Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Matt,
Quote:
Alyn,I don't understand how your 'accident' could even have happened. Only one window can have focus at one time, so I can't see how the same song could play in time (or close to it). Was the song frozen? Is there an audio track with the same name?

I too do not understand how this happened hence my saying "it worked by accident so maybe it could work by design".

None of the tracks on either instance were frozen and there is no audio track with the same name. The song in focus was named "myname.mgx" and the "out of focus" was called myname2.mgx but hadn't been saved for a while. I had the original BIAB file from last century in the sequencer tracks hence the extension. Both saved in a folder called "myname 2015", on an external 1 tb usb drive. BIAB is fully installed on my 1/2 tb C drive running XP.
I had 2 instances of BIAB open and one instance of Cubase, mme for the BIABs and asio for Cubase and I work like this most of the time except usually just one instance of BIAB. All midi in BIAB is played by the standard built in driver
I have used BIAB since Atari days and was just as amazed as you are, Matt.
I cannot replicate it though.

Another of life's great mysteries.

Alyn

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
So back to Alyn's original request, and without going through the technicalities and tribulations of the limited number of Tracks in the current version, would a Master/Slave arrangement allowing 2 copies of the program to run "In-Synch" be a good idea?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195