Page 1 of 2 1 2
#316454 10/31/15 07:33 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
P
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
I have found this forum very useful for nuts and bolts of learning BIAB and Real Band. I joined the BIAB yahoo group and it seems like I can find some already done cover tunes there (some pretty good some not so much) I realize this being a PG Music supported forum the use of cover music is not acceptable....just from my perspective I would think that is the primary use of BIAB....maybe I'm wrong. Are there any other sites that any of you know of where people share and help work on backing tracks? I know there are a lot of commercial entities that create backing tracks but I only use them as a last resort.

Veteran
Veteran
In the USA at least, the problem with copying cover tunes is primarily the melody, and secondarily the harmony and 'hits' that make the song recognizable. The demos by PG Music are often the same chord progression as a known song (in fact, it's a fun challenge to guess which song) but they contain a completely different melody and no 'hits'. Chord progressions are not copyright-able, so if you write your own melody to fit, that can be posted here. Just avoid using anything that would be clearly recognized as "oh, that's such and such a song". This includes but is not limited to key, tempo, hits, melody, harmony, title, etc. to be safest.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
S
Expert
Expert
S

P
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
As a quick example I did a Zac Brown tune that if you know it then it would be recognizable but it has none of the signature licks that I would add in live performance. It took a while using the ACW and picking proper style and instruments but once I figured out that the drums were Nashville2beat it fell together pretty quickly. I would gladly share it for anyone interested and then could possibly get feedback if I missed something.

Thanks for the links

P
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
Yeah checking out the links and they have a lot of the same songs as I found on the yahoo group. The guitarband guy has some pretty cool ones that are already converted to mp3 so you couldn't change key or tempo easily. He had a limited number of .sgu files. The other links had a lot of songs but pretty much really old or ones I didn't recognize. I am starting to realize that people must work on these on their own for the most part. I'm starting to get some really pretty good results on my own.......just every now and then I get totally baffled. ...especially with ACW.

S
Expert
Expert
S
Have you tried loading midi cover songs into RB and change tracks to RT/RD and VSTi.

P
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
I have done several midi tunes in Sonar using Sampletank and Jamstix. The problem with a lot of the midi tunes is they sometimes are a little too precise. I think if you have too much going on it starts sounding too karaoke. Because I have a guitar synth I can cover a lot of the signature stuff and my fiance plays keyboards so we can cover a lot of territory just using BIAB basic instrumentation.

I haven't found the need yet to pull them into RB yet. I have tried RB a couple of times and am still climbing the learning curve on it. So far ACW has been one of the coolest tools that I didn't even know existed.

Journeyman
Journeyman
SolidRock:

thanks for the links, very helpful.

DE

Win 10, 64 bit, love my Lenovo T420, BIAB 2019 (613), RB 2019 (2)

Short term memory is getting shorter.
S
Expert
Expert
S
Realband > Open > midi
just mute the midi tracks you don't want,
select an empty track below the midi tracks and > Generate > realtracks/drums

You can also highlight any bars in a blank track > Generate > MultiRiff

Last edited by solidrock; 10/31/15 03:54 PM.
P
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
Thanks for that. I'll give it a try. There are a lot of midi versions out there. It should make it easy because I don't want an exact replica of the song. I'm happy with decent drums, bass, and rhythm guitar.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Following the links in this post (solidrock) I trie the guitarband.com and being impressed with a lot of the titles, I went ahead and paid my $25 (£16) and purchased the SGU collection.

And have to say I am disappointed with the quality therein and the reasons being,...

There a lot of duplicates
Some are unfinished to the extent that only the initial chord is inserted
Some, if not most, are unrecogniseable, despite the fact that they are intended to be used with a live guitar player.

I will only be able to use these as "work in progress" files to improve on at a later date.

I realise this is only my opinion, but I thought I should air it here.

BIAB 2017 Everything, RB 2017
Lenovo All-in-One. i5, 8gb Ram, 1 TB SHDD, Windows 10
Presonus AudioBox,Studio One 3, Behringer Xenyx302,
M-Audio Axiom 61, Samson Graphite 49.
Lenove Flex 15, i3,Windows 10
Veteran
Veteran
I write aftermarket styles for BiaB and that has taught me a lot about the program, it's uses, it's strong points and it's weak points. I love BiaB and think there is a touch of genius in the minds of the developers.

However, styles tend to be a little more generic that what is required for cover versions. And there is a good reason for that. At the request of one of my customers, I did a style for Elvis Presley's "Don't Be Cruel." It has a signature guitar lick that is very identifiable. The style turned out well, but the problem was that every other song I tried that style out on sounded like "Don't Be Cruel".

But I also play in a duo http://www.s-cats.com and we've been working the same area since 1985. I make my own backing tracks, often cover tracks, sometimes our own arrangements and BiaB is a big part of that. And to last that many years in a competitive market, we must be doing something right.

I use MIDI styles, export to a sequencer like Power Tracks Pro, and then add the signature kicks and licks in the sequencer. MIDI allows me to match the comp instruments to the kicks and licks instruments because they are the same synth patch.

MIDI also allows me to combine different styles and change the instrument sounds so that there is continuity throughout the song.

MIDI also allows me to change the dynamics of the song to be a live performance balance instead of a recording balance, and there is a difference. For example, boosting the snare drum on the 2's and 4's, increasing the crash cymbals, and a few other things like that, add the punch in a live performance that the Real Tracks and even the Karaoke tracks you get from other vendors don't give you. There are other tricks with the bass, horn stabs, and so on. Your ears will tell you.

That extra crack of the snare drum will sound out of balance on a recording, but live it sounds dead without it. (I also might mix a little high timbale on some of the snare hits to get the crack of the drum shell.)

True, MIDI tracks don't have the same tone as the Real Tracks, but IMHO with good MIDI sound modules, they can sound up to 99% as good, and with hundreds of times more editing power, you can actually make the MIDI track sound better for live performance than the Real Tracks. Of course, that depends on your MIDI synth(s), your skills, and your ears. It's more work, but if you are lucky enough to be able to play that song hundreds of times in front of an audience, it's worth it. And here is something I learned, the audience doesn't care if the tone isn't quite right, they respond to the expression more than the tone.

I've been asked "How do you make backing tracks that sound better than karaoke tracks?" so many times that I wrote a web page about it. http://www.nortonmusic.com/backing_tracks.html Check it out, take what you like, and leave the rest.

Now don't get me wrong, I like the Real Tracks too, but each method is good for different uses. If I were to write a songwriting demo to send to Nashville or LA, I'd probably use mostly Real Tracks or a predominantly Real Track mix. You can use a crescent wrench as a hammer, but a hammer works much better.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Originally Posted By: ovation99
And have to say I am disappointed with the quality therein and the reasons being,...

Some, if not most, are unrecogniseable, despite the fact that they are intended to be used with a live guitar player.

What - a backing track that has only one chord?

In my experience the cover backing tracks that can be downloaded are mostly pretty bad and you can do a lot better by inputting the chords yourself. I also find that you can get quite close to the cover sound using the thousands of PG and other midi styles especially substituting RT styles and tracks. I think it is most important to imitate the original performers overall style rather than the individual cover sound. I guess it depends on how much of a perfectionist you need to be.

Tony

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tony Wright
Originally Posted By: ovation99

In my experience the cover backing tracks that can be downloaded are mostly pretty bad and you can do a lot better by inputting the chords yourself. I also find that you can get quite close to the cover sound using the thousands of PG and other midi styles especially substituting RT styles and tracks. I think it is most important to imitate the original performers overall style rather than the individual cover sound. I guess it depends on how much of a perfectionist you need to be.

Tony

Exactly my feeling. There aren't many covers that can't be approximated in BIAB/RB. I did a version of Nights In White Satin that is incredible. Of course, nobody wants to hear it! grin

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran

Tony

It must be the song Land of 1000 Dances!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Tony

It must be the song Land of 1000 Dances!

Or "Born In The USA" grin

Apprentice
Apprentice
If nothing else, I can use the chords already input, with the exception of those with one chord of course, and tweek them so they sound half decent.

Never mind, you live and learn.

BIAB 2017 Everything, RB 2017
Lenovo All-in-One. i5, 8gb Ram, 1 TB SHDD, Windows 10
Presonus AudioBox,Studio One 3, Behringer Xenyx302,
M-Audio Axiom 61, Samson Graphite 49.
Lenove Flex 15, i3,Windows 10
P
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
P
I used RB and pulled in a midi file.......worked great only issue is when it did the chord chart it pulled it from the honky tonk piano so the chords were all over the place. When I tried to use a guitar real track using the chord chart it sounded way too complicated. I had to simplify the chords and this seemed to calm down the guitar. When I used ACW with the original song it got the chords closer than the midi file I used. So I guess the jury is still out on which way works the best.....I guess it depends on the midi file. Thanks again for all the advice I am really starting to get some great backing tracks.

S
Expert
Expert
S
Yes it can be a pain, even a single midi track with held chords that was generate in RB to some chords when you open it in RB it detects different chords. You can right click on the Chord Window > Custom Midi Chord Wizard:

L
Expert
Expert
L
Hi PEdwards2932

Just wondering what sort of backing tracks you are doing? I've been putting together backing tracks for my guitar playing and singing using BIAB. I'm only using them on streetjelly.com at the moment and I don't try to follow the originals too closely.

Following comments on this forum, I've simplified mine a lot and I must admit that I'm starting to take far more notice of what songs I choose to play now than I did before. My favourites are going and I'm replacing them with classic crowd pleasers and 2010 - 2015 songs... That's been the hardest lesson for me to learn so far. I find my vocal effects unit has taken a lot of the complexity out of the newer songs. Hardtune, harmony, delays etc are just a button press away. What's been your experience so far.

Playing to the discipline of backing tracks has certainly improved my playing and performance. shocked

Last edited by lambada; 11/02/15 07:27 PM.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,590
Posts734,778
Members38,501
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 189