Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#321600 11/29/15 07:55 AM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Howdy, guys 'n' gals!

Please have a listen to the track below.

God Is Here In You And Me

These are the initial track settings for the song, but David might have substituted some tracks on later production.

****** Song Summary *************
Title: God Is Here In You And Me
File:God Is Here In You And Me.SGU
Key=C , Tempo 140, Length (m:s)=3:27
8 bar intro, 109 bar chorus, from bar 9 to bar 117. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _THRAAMP.STY (Amplitube Thrash Electric Bass)
BassCustom Synth is SuperFuzzBass CompODEQStomp,SldStBsAmp,EQRack.tgs

RealTracks in style: ~~686:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 639:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockThrash Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 642:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockThrashHollow Ev 085

These were replaced later, but originally helped make the song:
RealTracks in style: 1009:Bass, Electric, HardRockThrash Ev 085
RealDrums in style: RockThrashHalfTimeEv16^1-a:Snare, Bell Ride , b:Snare, Crash Ride

Hoping to get this radio-ready, so welcoming all critiques and compliments. :-)

Thank you!

P.S. Another @dcuny collab mix in the house! :-D

Last edited by cklester; 11/29/15 03:51 PM.

BIAB Audiophile 2016 for Windows, Cubase LE AI Elements, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Axium Mini-Air 32, UR22, Alesis Monitors, AT2020
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Nice work!! Cool song, and the production and mix sound great to me. Vocals are killer. Enjoyed much!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi ck,

can't find any critiques. I enjoyed
this production a lot.

Guenter

User Showcase
Expert
Expert

Very energetic music well played. Great voice and instrumentals mixing.

Sergio

Sergio
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Since I've put this mix together, I'd like as much feedback - negative as well as positive - as people are willing to give so I can get this right. I've got some specific questions about this mix, but if I've missed anything else, I want to hear about that, too!

• I've tried to get the vocal out front without it being overbearing. I think it's there... but it's a fine line, and I might have crossed over it.
  • Where should the bass be in a mix like this? I've dialed it forward, back, and everywhere in between. I suspect that it's a bit too quiet in this mix.
  • The cymbals. I thought I brought them back enough, but I've been hearing that they're still a bit too forward.
  • Anything else you might be hearing, good or bad.

In case anyone is wondering, The drums are EZDrummer 2, and most of the bass is from Bass on Demand loops. All the rest is BiaB, with a bit of extra distortion added.

And yes... it probably does need cowbell. wink

Thanks!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
c.k. (and David)...

A good write - though pretty far outside my areas... I'm not that familiar with heavy metal Christian rock... but interesting...

An absolutely top-notch vocal! Start to finish. And especially when you "really go for it".

The mix during the rockin' metal part is solid. The cymbals ARE too out front - too "present" - I think they need to be dropped and have some reverb added to set them back.

As you said, the bass is FAR too quiet. I can barely hear it. For a metal song it should be a huge part of the sound - this is all just my opinion, of course... as you know... and, as you know, I do not do metal... But, I think bringing the bass up enough to really be noticed would really add the icing the your mix...

In the "softer parts" the guitars drop away too much - so that there is a sense of "a different mix idea". I think if you brought the arp guitar up (significantly, and give it some "beef") it would avoid that feeling. Again..an opinion..

Same thing in the bridge (I think it's a bridge - hard to know without a lyric)... the guitar gets set way back - so it's like another mix change. The "chunk guitar" (not sure what that is since there is no RT list) has super drive and is the perfect sound there, but its low level losses some of what it should be adding to the song...

Not trying to be negative - because this is a very cool project - quite ambitious, actually - and pulled off well. Just a bit "uneven" between the different parts. Tame the cymbals, give the bass some meat (it should really be pumping!), make the transitions flow better... little things in each case...

Have to say again... Wow!! What a vocal!

A HUGE song.

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
c.k. (and David)...
Not trying to be negative - because this is a very cool project - quite ambitious, actually - and pulled off well. Just a bit "uneven" between the different parts. Tame the cymbals, give the bass some meat (it should really be pumping!), make the transitions flow better... little things in each case...

Thanks! Nothing negative here at all - this is exactly what I needed to know! laugh

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello CK and David,

In addition to Floyd's comment:
We think it's a very good song, very well sung.
The mix: the vocal is slightly too loud and could use a little more reverb/delay.
The music itself could use a little bit more punch (mastering like Ozone or any other mastering suite).
Apart from all that: great work!

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
David, although I do not have golden ears here is what I heard:

The vocals are perfect. Great job on them plus the lyrics are fantastic.

I think the bass should come up some.

I also think the cymbals should be brought back but I'm not sure about adding reverb to them as Floyd has mentioned. But Floyd has much better ears than I do.

I also think the guitars should come up some.

This is a great song that only needs a few minor tweaks to take it over the top IMHO.

PS - you may have to decide it this should be a metal song (big drums and bass and heavily compressed) or a rock song (more balanced with less compression), again just my opinion, YMMV.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RnAM
The mix: the vocal is slightly too loud and could use a little more reverb/delay.
The music itself could use a little bit more punch (mastering like Ozone or any other mastering suite)
I've got a limiter on the mix buss, but I've dialed it back a bit so there's a bit of headroom.

I might push the threshold a bit a bit more and see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks, everybody, for the great input. I appreciate the compliments and the critiques! We all want to make music that other people can appreciate, right? And you guys have the experience and skills to help in that cause. Again, I'm very thankful for everybody's comments.

MarioD, I'm wanting to stay in the "rock song" genre instead of "metal."

I will update the original post with more details about the BIAB/RB tracks I used.

BIAB Audiophile 2016 for Windows, Cubase LE AI Elements, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, Axium Mini-Air 32, UR22, Alesis Monitors, AT2020
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
PS - you may have to decide it this should be a metal song (big drums and bass and heavily compressed) or a rock song (more balanced with less compression), again just my opinion, YMMV.
Yeah, right now it's more the "rock" song instead of metal.

I'd actually taken all the cymbals out of the mix (editing MIDI is a lot simpler than audio!), but it was a bit too barren. I'd hoped that dialing them back would be enough, but reverb might be the trick to take some punch out of them. I'll try it both ways.

Hopefully this can be pushed over the top, thanks!

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
RUSH!!! The band, not the radio personality.

Switching to the laptop to listen....

Guitars need to come up through out and especially in the chorus. Way up.

Same thing with the bass.

This is essentially a guitar song.... bass and guitar should be carrying this. Currently both are way too low and subdued in the mix.

OK, I looked back at the tracks listing.... I was listening to the guitars and thought to myself they sounded like they were not cranked..... but instead were distorted from pedals and recorded at lower volume/gain levels. They lack the crunch of cranked tubes and it's evident in the sustained power chords. They don't last.

Having at least one live cranked guitar would fill this out wonderfully and mix well with the BB tracks.

As far as the song itself, man, I really like this. Nice job.

dcuny: please no cowbell. However, listen to some RUSH tunes and then remix this with THAT style in mind. All 3 of the instruments..... BASS, DRUMS, and GUITAR are critical and need to be proportionally loud enough and have the proper EQ to make them stand out yet blend. Consider getting a live chorded track and get it recorded 2 times so you can also double it into a wide stereo field. I see where there's a B3 in there..... keep that low like you have it. Don't really need to hear it and if you layer the guitars, it's not really needed at all. 3 instruments can carry this nicely.

Use some compression to get the kick and bass really working together. Multi-band lets you kick the bottom and keep the top open. Getting a good EQ on the drums is critical and the cymbals absolutely need to be there in this genre. Drums should be fat, full, crisp and HUGE. The kick should work with the bass and should give the listener the sensation of having CPR performed on them..... (well...kind of.... I think you get the idea) We need to feel the drums.

This is a good 89% of the way to being ready to go.

I'm looking forward to hearing this finished properly.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 11/30/15 03:30 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
SRP Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
Once again I like the lyrics! Excellent vocals and Floyd and other comments should help you to get it where I think you would like it to be. Great song!
Sonny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

Thanks, I've been using the wrong reference tracks, apparently.

Guitars need to come up through out and especially in the chorus. Way up.

Same thing with the bass.

Yep.

Having at least one live cranked guitar would fill this out wonderfully and mix well with the BB tracks.

I thought the point of having BiaB was not having to do live tracks. wink

Seriously, though, I'll give it a try and see what happens. I've got enough guitar skills to crank out some rhythm parts.

Thanks for all the tips! I'll can split the kick out pretty easily, and the right reference tracks will help.

-- David Cuny

User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast

Ha! :-D

Thanks for the great feedback! We should be making a few adjustments over the next couple of days.

User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Great song! Well written and performed vocally. Mix is superb; but the message is what is important and so true. Christ message to us

Matthew 5:16
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

Thanks for sharing!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent vocal. I do see the reference to Geddy Lee. Good job

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny

I thought the point of having BiaB was not having to do live tracks. wink

Seriously, though, I'll give it a try and see what happens. I've got enough guitar skills to crank out some rhythm parts.

Using straight up BB/RB tracks can sound good,no doubt, but adding live tracks to it, if they are well performed, and well recorded, can take the project over the top in a good way. That's how you make a good project, great.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent vocal! I like the lyrics and the song itself. The Bass and Drums need to come way up. The guitar also. The overall volume is really very low. The bass should match the kick in volume. A little work on the mix and it will be a great one. Nice job both of you. Tom

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,570
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200