Go To
#322835 12/03/15 03:01 PM
User Showcase
D
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
The "surprise" part is the distortion wah-wah guitar used in an otherwise New Age -style song!
Recorded and mixed in Reaper; portion recorded was the wah guitar, which is me flailing clumsily on a Fender Squire II Strat through a Korg AX1G

My process was to take each track and export as .wav (File> Export Song As Wav)
Load these wavs into Reaper, record the wah wah guitar, and mix.

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Slow New Age with Rain & Thunder Loop
File:THUNDER
Key=B minor (file says C, but this ain't right), Tempo 109, Length (m:s)=1:54

This style (=THUNDER.STY) uses the new Loops feature in Band-in-a-Box 2012. The style consists of our previously released "CALLING.STY" MIDI, along with the Thunder_Storm_2 loop, which plays the sound of rain with occasional thunder claps.

Here are the tracks I ended using in Reaper: Warm Pads, Choir Aahs, Orchestral String Hits, Pizzicato Strings, Storm Loop, Trombone, HiQ Bass Acoustic Upright N (SampleTank), Hi-Q Koto (Sample Tank), String Ensemble, Chamber Strings, RealDrums: SmoothJazzCoolSw16 , and 2 tracks of the wah guitar.

https://soundcloud.com/eric-ryser/thunder

Thundering New Age Surprise

Last edited by DIOECHOOTO; 12/04/15 01:43 AM.
User Showcase
D
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
I think PG Music artists did a great job putting this style together, and was captivated by the melody sufficiently to want to leave it alone and let it do the talking. When listening to the tune after I felt like I was done with it, it occurred to me that many times, unfortunately, the sounds of thunder storms are accompanied by sirens, so that's what I'm now thinking the wah guitar may represent, if you like, even though I did not do that on purpose. The sound of sirens and the events they represent are of course unsettling and surprising (unless it's perhaps coming from the Isle of Anthemusa), not to mention the surprise of being attacked by distortion wah-wah git as you are minding your own business enjoying a relaxing little New Age tune... and thus the title. Enjoy!

Last edited by DIOECHOOTO; 12/04/15 01:46 AM.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That is an interesting listen, Eric. You have described it well.

Brought to mind something that Phillip Glass might have done...

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Good use of real tracks and I think your mix was excellent.

This was a fun listen.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Eric,

interesting listen.
I wonder what your nickname means?

Guenter

User Showcase
D
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Thanks for the feedback, all!
Quote:

Brought to mind something that Phillip Glass might have done...

Thanks, Floyd! I wouldn't have thought of that. It's been a LONG time, but I have enjoyed Phillip Glass albums (and of course, probably it hasn't really been all that long, since his music is in so many music and shows) so maybe some of his sensibilities rubbed off? Of course, it all sort of rubs off...hard to say...

Quote:
Good use of real tracks and I think your mix was excellent.

This was a fun listen.

Thanks, Charlie. Fun is good. I appreciate the comment about the real tracks, because I learned something: even if the picker says there's no match, go ahead and try it if you have a mind to. The one Real Track used on the tune was the Real Drums, which wasn't "matched", but I think it works nicely!

Quote:
Hi Eric,

interesting listen.
I wonder what your nickname means?

Hi, Guenter, thanks! My nickname was a spur-of-the-moment choice. It's an acronym for deaf in one ear can't hear out of the other. I'm probably "allowed" the "humor" since I was fit with my first hearing aids when I was just 5. It seems like if one tries to pronounce the nickname, something evocative of Japanese (Nihongo) might emerge.

User Showcase
SRP Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Eric,
Wow what a nickname! I enjoyed your song and I hope to hear more from you.
Sonny

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Eric,

This is very special and interesting music.
Nice mix and choice of RTs.
By the way, if you want to export the separate tracks, you can do it simply by using "Save all tracks as WAV file - choose (folder) - click "One WAV per track" and "Normalize", then click "DXi-Direct Render" and BiaB will do the work for you. You'll get the total mix as well as all the tracks seperately smile

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Expert
Expert

Hello,

I like your music.
Good real tracks used and great wah

Sergio

Sergio
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Eric !

Really nice tune this one 1

Liked it very much 1

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Intriguing, and just as I was getting into it, it stopped, the song deserves to be longer IMHO.

You wrote
Quote:
I appreciate the comment about the real tracks, because I learned something: even if the picker says there's no match, go ahead and try it if you have a mind to.
That is something I totally agree with no RealTrack or RealDrum is out of bounds 3/4 and swing sometimes go well together in a 4/4 even song.

Great nickname grin

Alyn

User Showcase
D
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Hi, SRP

Quote:
Wow what a nickname!

There's more. I noticed after I coined it that embedded are Dio (Old Italian/Latin for God, deity, godlike, divine, bright, resplendent) echo (A reflected sound that is heard again by its initial observer) , and oto (anatomy: ear). So, a tad loftier interpretation of my nickname is available, if desired. For example "with the echo of divine sounds in our ears, we make music"... hear's hoping no one minds the pretension...

Quote:
I enjoyed your song and I hope to hear more from you.

Thanks, chances are good!

Hi, Rob and Anne-Marie

Quote:
By the way, if you want to export the separate tracks, you can do it simply by using "Save all tracks as WAV file - choose (folder) - click "One WAV per track" and "Normalize", then click "DXi-Direct Render" and BiaB will do the work for you. You'll get the total mix as well as all the tracks seperately

Thanks, that's a great tip, I didn't know that! On this project, I used several different voices for a couple-few of the midi tracks, but it still would have saved a couple steps.

Quote:
This is very special and interesting music.
Nice mix and choice of RTs.

Thank you kindly for saying so!

Hi Sergio

Quote:
I like your music.
Good real tracks used and great wah

I appreciate the feedback, thanks!

Hi, Dani

Quote:
Really nice tune this one!

Liked it very much!

Thank so much...cheers!

Hi, Alyn

Quote:
Intriguing, and just as I was getting into it, it stopped, the song deserves to be longer IMHO.

I'm beginning to agree, and am currently putting some thought into how best to extend it. I'll probably leave it pretty much just as it is, and then add a second part that carries forward some aspect/motif, yet is very different, in order to lengthen it.

Quote:
Great nickname

Thanks! I'm looking at it in a new light smile

Last edited by DIOECHOOTO; 12/05/15 12:56 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very enjoyable listen well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Eric, This was an interesting listen and yes a lot of real tracks work well together regardless of the style. Keep writing and posting. Tom

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Cool music!! Sounds like soundtrack stuff to me-be great in a film. The guitar is really cool!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
D
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
There was at least one suggestion to make the song longer, and so I did. The first part of the new version is simply the old version, nothing at all changed...I basically just "tacked" on a second movement.

The basic details of the first hold true, but I did a lot more playing with getting tracks out of BIAB, taking into Reaper, and getting jiggy with effects; plus, obviously, I added more of me noodlin' on guitars...I think it sounds pretty nice, actually... within certain limitations. It took me just a handful of hours to accomplish this. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/eric-ryser/thundering-new-age-surprise-finished

P.S. thanks for the continued nice remarks, I suppose it might be prudent at some point to hope people read this and know I mean it when I say I appreciate them VERY much, rather than to answer every single post unless something specific in the post calls for it.

P.P.S. Yeah, posted that last night all bleary-eared. This morning, I realize that new mix (the second part) is far from finished...it's crap...but at least the ideas are flowing...and the first part is fine, I'm perfectly satisfied with that...

Last edited by DIOECHOOTO; 12/08/15 06:23 AM.
User Showcase
D
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
D
Here's the finished extended track that I'm happy with. The other tracks have been deleted, apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

New title ThunderDone has a nice ring to it. An additional Real Drum track was used, Rock Even 16 (I think...pretty sure...the uncertainty stems from not taking notes and having renamed the tracks for simplicity during the process of bringing into Reaper)

Last edited by DIOECHOOTO; 12/14/15 04:46 AM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195