Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Pumps,

Realtracks never save as midi - they cannot because they are audio.

It's the Realcharts that save as midi. While Realcharts are generated in parallel to Realtracks, the Realcharts are created from a separate file. They have never been created by BIAB taking a Realtrack, electronically interpreting it and then converting it to midi.

If a Realtrack has a chart associated with it, it can be saved as midi. If it does not, then it cannot be saved as midi. That's why I created the pdf file for you. If you look down the "Chart" column, you'll see three possibilities. These are "N", "Gt" and blank.

If the cell is blank for a particular RT, then no chart exists and so that particular Realtrack will not be able to be saved in a midi. If the reference cell contains, N or Gt, a midi approximation of the RT (from the RealChart) will be able to be saved as midi information.

Hope this makes sense.

Noel

P.S. Activating the "Realchart save as midi" I mentioned a few posts back, tells BIAB that when you create a midi file, if any of the Realtracks used contain charts, you want that information saved as an instrument in the midi file. (This makes it seem like the Realtrack has been saved in a midi file even though that is an impossibility because RTs are audio).

Last edited by Noel96; 12/04/15 03:14 PM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
These fora frequently see questions from users who love the sound of Real Tracks and want to have an editable MIDI track that will sound that good.

The answer is no.

As VideoTracks mentioned, the MIDI capability that some RTs seem to have is a workaround. The MIDI data is created after the RT is recorded. It is kind of a translation, and the translation is for from perfect.

I would advise Pumps to look at the MIDI Super Tracks. These have much of the nuance and phrasing of the RTs. They are recorded as long phrases by live players. They are 100% MIDI-editable. I find they are preferable to RTs in cases where I want to retain a higher degree of creative control than RTs allow.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
P
Pumps2 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted By: flatfoot

users who love the sound of Real Tracks and want to have an editable MIDI track that will sound that good.

The answer is no.

Surely that is a matter of opinion and also a matter of the context of the job at hand. Please be aware that many of the advanced VSTis are able to impart some nuance of their own that makes for a more human sounding playback. And the overall control a person has with a MIDI base can allow a much better final product. After all, with RealTracks, the proposition is that you either accept 100% of what BIAB produces or else you can't use it. With a MIDI base, one has the ability to adapt the playback as needed, and in many cases, that can sound far better (or far more appropriate to the task at hand) than what BIAB produces on its own.

I would advise Pumps to look at the MIDI Super Tracks.

Yes, of course I use them when they will fit the groove I need. There just aren't very many of them. There are 2000 RealTracks and only 150 SuperTracks. The new release apparently adds only 3 more. Not very likely to cover what I need. So I end up using mostly the styles that have been out there since 2005 or earlier.

BIAB: 2023 UltraPak
DAWs: StudioOne 5 Pro, Cubase 12 Pro
Audio: Scarlett 18i20
OS: Win10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 Mem: 24 GB Vid: GTX-760Ti

sonocrafters.com
P
Pumps2 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted By: Noel96

Hope this makes sense.

Yes it does, and I appreciate it. Just to make sure I am not misunderstanding, there is nothing in the Style Picker that I could use to include styles that have charts and/or MIDI, but exclude the styles that are audio-only, is that correct?

sonocrafters.com
Veteran
Veteran
>>>... There just aren't very many of them. There are 2000 RealTracks and only 150 SuperTracks.... >>>>>

Me too.. I would like to see a lot more super tracks, and a picker window that makes them easy to use. Maybe if users post all the way they are using them, PG will give them more attention.

My BiaB lesson site:
Veteran
Veteran
There's a recent post by PG Music about the bonus 49-pak. That post says there are 11 more SuperTracks there. http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=322990#Post322990

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
P
Pumps2 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
There's a recent post by PG Music about the bonus 49-pak. That post says there are 11 more SuperTracks there.

I saw that. I was disappointed to see that I'd have to spend an additional $50 even though I have already been paying for the EverythingPak. For the jobs I do, there is very little in the 2016 base release that will help me. Honestly it is only those 14 supertracks that would motivate me.

That works out to about $15 per track, and in all likelihood, I wouldn't use most of them. I don't know how relevant they are for me because I can't find any descriptions or demos. (I don't do bluegrass, gospel, hard rock or techno.) So unless these are all killer tracks that I am likely to use, I'll probably just wait for 2017.

Last edited by Pumps2; 12/04/15 06:49 PM.

sonocrafters.com
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Yes it does, and I appreciate it. Just to make sure I am not misunderstanding, there is nothing in the Style Picker that I could use to include styles that have charts and/or MIDI, but exclude the styles that are audio-only, is that correct?

Hi again, Pumps.

I've had a play around with the new Stylepicker and I can't see a way of filtering styles with/without charts.

That being said, where Realtracks are concerned, they do not rely on a particular style to define them. A realtrack's feel/style is determined by the recording artist when s/he plays them. When I create songs, I load a style as a starting place and then I change a number of the tracks to suit. In Realtrack picker, it's definitely possible to sort by the Charts column and isolate those Realtracks with Gt or N.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps the idea for the stylepicker to search and sort by midi notation can be reposted to both the RealBand and Band-in-a-Box wishlists. The stylepicker is new so ideas to make it more useful are good.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Pumps2

users who love the sound of Real Tracks and want to have an editable MIDI track that will sound that good.

The answer is no.

Surely that is a matter of opinion and also a matter of the context of the job at hand. Please be aware that many of the advanced VSTis are able to impart some nuance of their own that makes for a more human sounding playback. And the overall control a person has with a MIDI base can allow a much better final product. After all, with RealTracks, the proposition is that you either accept 100% of what BIAB produces or else you can't use it. With a MIDI base, one has the ability to adapt the playback as needed, and in many cases, that can sound far better (or far more appropriate to the task at hand) than what BIAB produces on its own.

I would advise Pumps to look at the MIDI Super Tracks.

Yes, of course I use them when they will fit the groove I need. There just aren't very many of them. There are 2000 RealTracks and only 150 SuperTracks. The new release apparently adds only 3 more. Not very likely to cover what I need. So I end up using mostly the styles that have been out there since 2005 or earlier.

FWIW from a new user, I want MIDI for everything. RealTracks hold little value for me.

Win10Prox64/i7-6700@3.8G/32G / Studio One Pr 4.1.1
TASCAM US-16x08 / FaderPort / Fishman TriplePlay / Nektar LX61+
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting comment from BobF

>>>...FWIW from a new user, I want MIDI for everything. RealTracks hold little value for me....>>>

BiaB styles were all MIDI for years. Real Tracks are pretty new. They sounded revolutionary when they first came out.

Just curious - What is it about what you do that makes you want MIDI? Are there enough MIDI styles now to suit your needs? Do you think that more MIDI supertracks is going to be useful for you?

I use just-MIDI for one of my BiaB setups: My synth/keyboard has its own laptop, and there I only use MIDI because all this setup does is drive the keyboard. This setup is for playalong, singing, and keyboard practice.

My BiaB lesson site:
P
Pumps2 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
What is it about what you do that makes you want MIDI?

The need to transport content to other programs (DAWs and notation programs. The desire to use the best VSTis out there. The requirement to edit (usually simplify) some of the content.

Are there enough MIDI styles now to suit your needs?

One would think 2000 would be enough, but 90% of the styles are musical genres I would never use and the remaining 200 include lots of near-duplicates. The later styles tend to be better than the earlier ones also.

Do you think that more MIDI supertracks is going to be useful for you?

The MIDI supertracks are very good, but limited in range. That's the issue. The company seems to be putting 90% of its efforts into the "walled garden". I would much prefer to see those efforts go into MIDI supertracks, but I may be a minority view.

sonocrafters.com
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Interesting comment from BobF

>>>...FWIW from a new user, I want MIDI for everything. RealTracks hold little value for me....>>>

BiaB styles were all MIDI for years. Real Tracks are pretty new. They sounded revolutionary when they first came out.

Just curious - What is it about what you do that makes you want MIDI? Are there enough MIDI styles now to suit your needs? Do you think that more MIDI supertracks is going to be useful for you?

I use just-MIDI for one of my BiaB setups: My synth/keyboard has its own laptop, and there I only use MIDI because all this setup does is drive the keyboard. This setup is for playalong, singing, and keyboard practice.

When I have an idea pretty well firmed up, moving the tracks into a DAW as MIDI gives the greatest flexibility for further refinement of the arrangement; different instruments/variations, etc.

In the end, very little if any of the original BiaB material will still exist without being heavily modified.

I'm not against RealTracks. I would just hate to see the MIDI side get abandoned. As it is already, a fresh install is very RealTracks focused as the default.

As far as whether or not there is already enough MIDI goes, I'll let you know. The question does make me curious though. How much of anything is "enough"?

From what I've seen so far, it will take a while to get bored with what's already included (Mega).

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pumps2

The MIDI supertracks are very good, but limited in range. That's the issue. The company seems to be putting 90% of its efforts into the "walled garden". I would much prefer to see those efforts go into MIDI supertracks, but I may be a minority view.

We both are!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
P
Pumps2 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted By: BobF

When I have an idea pretty well firmed up, moving the tracks into a DAW as MIDI gives the greatest flexibility for further refinement of the arrangement; different instruments/variations, etc.

In the end, very little if any of the original BiaB material will still exist without being heavily modified.

I'm not against RealTracks. I would just hate to see the MIDI side get abandoned.

I just want to echo Bob's comments, as this is almost exactly the same way I work. I am perfectly comfortable with the idea that we all may have different goals and we all may have different work flows that get us to those goals, so I am not trying to say that how I work is "the right way" or more respectable than how anybody else works.

For me, writer's block can be a major factor, and compositionally, I am very intuitive and iterative. A concept has to tr grow on me. I am simply not one of those people who can sit down and crank out a great song or arrangement just by writing it down directly.

BIAB has always been an invaluable tool for me. For my arrangements, I really need to feel the groove before orchestrating the wind parts, and the MIDI tracks let me do that. And for me, it turns out exactly as Bob says almost every time. I use BIAB to get the harmonic scheme and the song structure in place. That may take a bunch of iterations before I am happy with the overall concept. At that point, I put those BIAB tracks into Finale which gives me a "canvas" to work on. From that point forward, all my editing is done either in Finale or Sonar, never in BIAB.

As various parts of the arrangement fall into place, I might go back and either simplify the rhythm parts, or rewrite parts of that altogether to make the whole chart work. Probably less than 65% of the original BIAB MIDI remains in my completed Finale project, and any if the original BIAB that does remain is hidden under slash notation, used only for playback, not for notation.

Even though I have used BIAB for at least 15 releases, I have learned some useful things from this thread. These tips will help me make better use of the MIDI-capable tracks that are there already. I do think that clutter has always been one of the biggest problems in BIAB, and even though they have reworked the style picker in 2016, it seems to me this needs a lot more work to help people who really only want MIDI-capable output.

Last edited by Pumps2; 12/06/15 10:47 AM.

sonocrafters.com
Veteran
Veteran
I find it very interesting that here are a couple of people who prefer everything to be midi.

To answer that you have to look at PGM's primary market. That market is for average folks who may or may not be good players, to create good backing tracks to play along with either for fun or to practice. That's it. That market went absolutely crazy for first the Real Drums, then the Real Tracks. It was the biggest thing to hit the Biab user base since the program was first created.

Backing tracks are exactly that, no more no less. Biab is not designed for higher level pros to write their next movie soundtrack with or to create good covers of hit songs.

What composers do with it is use it to get the overall feel, structure and chords correct. It really doesn't matter if it's audio or midi and it doesn't matter if you're using the best VSTi's or not. You're simply putting the thing together. At this point you don't focus on the best sound, any half decent GM synth is good enough. Then the project gets moved to a DAW and that's where you get to go crazy with multi thousand dollar sound libraries and spending days deciding just which piano, guitar, bass etc out of several dozen of each to choose from and using the the best controllers to get that perfect nuance plus some live recording or whatever else.

Biab can't work with all that stuff and was never designed for and cannot operate at the level you guys are talking about. A few years ago when this subject came up (again) I suggested that there could be two versions of Biab. One would be the standard version we have now and the other one the Awesome Cool Dude version that will sit proudly in a million dollar studio and do all this stuff. Alas, I never heard back on that...

One last comment about people asking why can't they get a midi file from an RT. The answer to that is to simply have a listen to your favorite commercial recording of your favorite artist and ask that EXACT SAME question. How do I get a midi file of that performance? Not just a midi file of that song, those are available all over the web. No, you want a midi file of WHAT YOU'RE HEARING ON THAT RECORDING.

People keep making this mistake all the time when they don't realize an RT and a studio recording of your favorite artist is the EXACT SAME THING. They're both audio files, simple as that. So the question should is this:

How do you make a midi file out of an audio file?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks for deciding for me that I don't really want MIDI. Everything is flowers and butterflies now.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
We do have 3,000+ MIDI styles included in the UltraPak.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Why do people continually read something into a post that isn't there? Where did I say you or anybody else doesn't want midi?

If you want to work with midi, there are thousands of midi styles from PGM and Norton Music has thousands more. Plus, don't forget you can roll your own and create as many as you want. Where's the problem?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
P
Pumps2 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Why do people continually read something into a post that isn't there? Where did I say you or anybody else doesn't want midi?

Maybe it had to do with the fact you began your commentary with "I find it very interesting that here are a couple of people who prefer everything to be midi."

I would humbly suggest that are a few more than "a couple of people" who work as we have described.

sonocrafters.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,122
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182