Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#337986 - 02/24/16 04:15 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
Loc: Hong Kong
lambada Offline
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
Agree. I think BIAB was a bit louder than it sounded, in retrospect, it was too quiet so I'll bring the mix up next time. It's a shame cos BIAB sounds great (sigh).

Yes, re the video, I didn't want people tripping over it as I was near the entrance. I sort of sound checked but the room was empty and I should have been more thorough or had the experience to know what to look out for. To be honest loosing the guitar strap really stuffed up the timing of several things! cry

I'll start a regular show on a weeknight in a local bar or pub to fine tune that side of things. grin
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 2, Nova, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#338002 - 02/24/16 08:08 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
J. Larry Offline
Journeyman

Played a live gig today on guitar and vocals with BIAB 2016. First time in a couple of years, since I had switched to gigging with arranger keyboards. Got another job tomorrow using BIAB. Today went well. A mixture of standards, country, and latin. Setup was BIAB on a laptop (Windows), running straight to a small Yamaha mixer, then to a pair of Bose L1 Compact speakers. Great clarity and fullness in the sound. No problems or complaints. Two big issues were apparent: one, the need for me to better mix/balance my tracks so that the volume levels are consistent across songs and styles. And, two, the need to have the capability of larger fonts (in bold) for the bar lyrics. If possible, I’d be willing to split the difference between lyric font size and size of the chord symbols within the given space that’s allowed.

#338010 - 02/25/16 02:06 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: J. Larry]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: J. Larry
... And, two, the need to have the capability of larger fonts (in bold) for the bar lyrics. If possible, I’d be willing to split the difference between lyric font size and size of the chord symbols within the given space that’s allowed.

What version of BiaB are you using? Some of these features are changeable in the 2016 version. Here's an example:

Attachments
2016-02-25_21-04-38.jpg

2016-02-25_21-03-26.jpg

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#338015 - 02/25/16 02:45 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: VideoTrack]
Loc: Jenks, OK
1manband Offline
Apprentice

Will the change demonstrated above also change the font size on the "bar lyrics"? That was J. Larry's concern...
BIAB 2018 build 519; Dell Inspiron N4110, Windows 10 64 bit, Intel Core i3-2350m running at 2.29 GHz, Memory: 6 GB DDR3, SDRAM 1MHz

#338045 - 02/25/16 08:33 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
jazzmammal Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
A comment on sound systems. People have referred to Fender Passports, Mackie Thumps and the like. Those things are crap.

Why would someone spend good money on Biab with all the studio recorded RT's, good quality midi synths/samplers then use a cheapo sound system? That kills the whole thing.

The person who auditioned the QSC K10 and bought it has the right idea. Good sound isn't cheap so don't cheap out on it. It has to be the biggest part of your budget, not the smallest. You START with a good solid sound system first and go from there.

I'm also using a CPS Spacestation but not for one man band gigs, just for my keyboards. When I first got it the first thing I did at home was run some Biab songs through it and it sounded very nice. On the CPS website there are a ton of vids demoing that unit in small group situations and it sounds great. Another good possibility is EV powered PA speakers. I think those are very good for the money. I have the ELX112P and it also sounds great. The new series are ZLX I think. A pair of those is around $800 or so. Those and a GOOD mixer, again not some $100 cheap thing, can sound really good with Biab tracks.

Don't go bottom fishing with your sound system after all the time and effort you've spent on getting your tunes just right.

Bob

#338051 - 02/25/16 08:59 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: jazzmammal]
1manband Offline
Apprentice

I completely agree with Bob on sound systems. If you want or need something lightweight that still sounds very good, I recommend the Bose systems. They come in 3 or 4 sizes now so you can get one as small or large as you need.

I have the original Bose L1 Classic with one subwoofer and it sounds excellent yet is compact to transport and won't hurt my back to lift any part of it. I have used Mackie and Peavey mixers with it and both sound good. I run BIAB, my guitar, and 4 vocals through the system and it has always had more than enough clean power and good distribution of sound throughout the room.
BIAB 2018 build 519; Dell Inspiron N4110, Windows 10 64 bit, Intel Core i3-2350m running at 2.29 GHz, Memory: 6 GB DDR3, SDRAM 1MHz

#338096 - 02/25/16 04:27 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: lambada
Agree. I think BIAB was a bit louder than it sounded, in retrospect, it was too quiet so I'll bring the mix up next time. It's a shame cos BIAB sounds great (sigh).

Yes, re the video, I didn't want people tripping over it as I was near the entrance. I sort of sound checked but the room was empty and I should have been more thorough or had the experience to know what to look out for. To be honest loosing the guitar strap really stuffed up the timing of several things! cry

I'll start a regular show on a weeknight in a local bar or pub to fine tune that side of things. grin

In the event you want to video future shows, to get the best audio sound, record the sound and video separately. It's quite easy to do and inexpensive. Separate recordings of the audio and video allows you much more flexibility in camera placement as will as the opportunity to use multiple video sources to edit your video with various camera angles. There are many good YouTube tutorials with step by step instructions to show you how to everything from setting up through burning your DVD.

#338115 - 02/25/16 08:53 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Using BIAB live [Re: lambada]
J. Larry Offline
Journeyman

Video Track: I’m using BIAB 2016. I’ve got the chord fonts adjusted just fine. I think it was your postings that helped get that adjusted. It’s the size of the bar lyrics that’s the problem. I haven’t figured out if they can be increased in size, made bold, or whatever. I can change the color, but not the height of the horizontal box they appear in. Maybe it’s there and I’ve not found it as yet. I agree with others on the comments about the need for high quality speakers with BIAB. Like others, I’ve been through Peavey, Mackie, EV, and a host others over the years. Bose has worked out best for me. I really liked the larger L1 model; but, it just got too heavy for this senior player. So, I sold it and went with two Bose Compacts. They fit my needs better; but, the Compact doesn’t sound as good as the larger model. Guess we have to live with trade-offs. Some of the arranger keyboard players are singing the praises of the latest Maui 5 speaker system. It’s less costly than the Bose and some say it sounds better, with more features.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

PG Music News
Article: The History of Play-A-Long (and More)

We came across this JazzTimes article, published today, called The History of Play-A-Long (and More), which highlights how technology has "blown the options for interaction music education wide open" in the last 50 years - and they mention Band-in-a-Box®!

Check it out! Click here to read...

Band-in-a-Box® - Freezing Tracks

Like what you hear in Band-in-a-Box®? Make sure to Freeze the track(s) or song! Once frozen, it won't be regeneraged or change when you play it again - and your choice isn't final, since you can unfreeze them just as easily:
-press the blue snowflake button within the track name of the mixer window
-press the blue snowflake button within the expanded toolbar of the program (Ctrl + T will swap between the two toolbar views), and select the track(s)

Note: If you want to force Band-in-a-Box® to generate tracks without adjusting the Freeze settings, hold down the Shift key as you press the [Generate and Play] button (the fly-by hint will remind you of that) or choose the menu command Play | Play Special | Generate (even if tracks are frozen).

To learn more about freezing your Band-in-a-Box® tracks or songs, visit Chapter 5: Playing Songs | Freezing tracks of our Online Manual.

With Band-in-a-Box®, Making Music Has Never Been Easier!

We came across this recent post, Music Making Software: Record, Edit, Create and Share Your Own Songs, which includes Band-in-a-Box® in their list of software you'll need to record and edit your own songs!

One of our favourite products, and one that doesn’t seem to come up much in discussions about music making software, is Band-In-A-Box from PG Music. This is probably the longest established and certainly one of the most popular music making software packages of all time. Already packed with features, the latest version has added functions that in our opinion make this an essential buy for musicians in any genre, for keyboard players, guitarists, singers, in fact any musician looking for an outstanding tool to make the most of their creative ideas.
-www.musicrepo.com

The Download Manager - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

The "Download Manager" within Band-in-a-Box® for Windows is a great tool to confirm or help with the installation of your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows program!

What does the Download Manager do?
Automatically installs Band-in-a-Box® content (RealTracks, RealDrums, etc.) in the background, so you don't have to sit there the whole time! It can also confirm that you've completely installed your purchase.

How do you use it?
Within the program, go to Help | Utilities | Run Download/Install Manager now. Using your activation code, the program will analyze the installation folders, and list anything that still needs to be downloaded and installed.

Learn more about the Download Manager with this tutorial, or check out the topic within the Online Manual.

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Online Manual - Chord List & Shortcuts

Visit the Chord List of our Online Manual, and you'll see all the chords that can be used within the program! The list includes a few Tricky Chords and Shortcut Chords that you may find useful too!

Tricky Chords:
C5b This is "C flat 5." It is spelled this way to avoid confusion.
C2, C5, C4, C69, C7alt, Cm7#5
You can type C-7 for Cm7 (i.e. use the minus sign) or C7-9 for C7b9.

Shortcut Chords
If you enter a lot of songs, you will appreciate these shortcut keys.
J = Maj7
H = m7b5 (H stands for Half diminished)
D = dim
S = 7sus

There's even information on how to add your own chord shortcuts - check it out!

Video Request Answered - Creating Intros, Bridges, and Endings in Band-in-a-Box®

Check out the newest support video created by Kent that explains how to create intros, bridges, and endings in Band-in-a-Box®! Click here to view...

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker Feature

If you have a folder of songs that you'd always like easy access to within Band-in-a-Box, make sure you familiarize yourself with The SongPicker feature, which access the folder that you choose and lock it to!

Access the SongPicker by clicking on the [Song] button next to the title of the song within the main screen of Band-in-a-Box. The first time the SongPicker is opened, you can choose the folder to use to create the list by selecting [Change] and navigating to your preferred directory. Once chosen, select [OK - Make Song List], and Band-in-a-Box does the rest... the next time you click on [Song], you'll be taken directly to your preferred folder!

Learn even more about this feature within Chapter 5 of our Online Manual, here.

Forum Stats
28234 Members
58 Forums
54335 Topics
453585 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Aud10, bob jones, Gtbuba, crisjazz74, JungleDrum

28234 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 174
Pipeline 165