Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
E
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
E
Hi,
I am in the process of going through a folder of BIAB songs from the internet, the folder has over 7000 tunes. I need a great sounding VST that recognizes GM and will load patches automatically, but also sounds as good as the Keytron SD2 or better. So I'm a little bummed out that Sonar doesnt work for me (windows 7) I have been using the TTS-1 from Sonar as my VST sound module. I don't mind the sounds in the Roland VSC, but i'm wondering if anyone knows of a great sounding VST library that I can use. I have Bandstand, Garritan Jazz and Big Band, etc. But none of these really cut it and they are a pain to program.

thanks for your help and suggestions as usual,
ED

R
Expert
Expert
R
Check out the VSTSynthFont. Works in BIAB and RB. I don't know what instruments you're looking for but plenty of Soundfonts out there, many are free. I have a post in this thread about the ones I like.

http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showfl...true#Post229074

Rachael

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I need a great sounding VST that recognizes GM and will load patches automatically, but also sounds as good as the Keytron SD2 or better.

This has been the holy grail for years and I don't think it exists. The problem is GM and loading the patches automatically. Really pro sounding softsynths don't use GM at all and the few that include a GM bank like my Emulator X sounds terrible. Before the SD2 came out, Mac had good success loading in his very expensive Gigasamples into the basic Forte player that most of us have but you need to be Mac to do it. Kinda tricky to set that all up. And, it only worked for him because he already had those Gigasamples. That library costs as much as a high end keyboard. All the big name softsynth/sampler developers feel GM is too restrictive regarding midi implementation and it's basically for amateurs. This is why when the Ketron and the Roland Sonic Cell came out a two years ago they created a sensation for us GM users because their GM banks sound pretty good and they also have a bunch of great sounding higher banks if you want to use them. Afaik, the only good sounding GM soundbanks are in hardware synths either modules or keyboards that cost over $2,000. Soundfonts are ok but they're not in the same league as the SD2.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

I need a great sounding VST that recognizes GM and will load patches automatically, but also sounds as good as the Keytron SD2 or better.

It is my opinion that such is unobtanium.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Yeah,
My feeling on that is if you want the sound of an SD2, buy an SD2. It's an investment that ends up paying for itself in the long run in your pleasure from hearing the music.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
You can try SoundStage from Sonivox (www.sonivoxmi.com). For the price, $100, it is a remarkably good GM module. I downloaded the free version and tested it out for a few days, and was generally pleased. My objective was to find something better than my 800MB soundfont collection, and it tempted me.

General MIDI never sounds perfect because it's a compromise of sorts. But if what you want to do is make your freshly-generated BiaB or RealBand tracks sound a bit better, this would do the trick. Because I am a song writer making demos, my goal is to get "close enough" to a good sound, then I will usually substitute selected instruments from a sampler (SampleTank, Kontakt, Kore, etc.).

SoundStage is about 1 gig, which is 4x the size of Sonivox's GM Soundfont set (250 MB), so I don't believe they just repackaged that particular beastie into a new wrapper.

Having said all that.... when I step back and think about what makes me the most productive in producing demos, it's RealTracks. For my money, I will almost certainly allocate any funds toward more RealTracks, rather than more samplers of any type.

Scott Emery
Journeyman
Journeyman
I just found a free 1.5GB soundfont, you might wanna try it .
The Crisis 3.1 Sf2 http://www.bismutnetwork.com/10Music/Crisis/Soundfont3.0.php
greetings from Holland

Rob de Klerk, Dutch singer-songwriter
https://www.robdeklerk.nl

Biab 2023, Cakewalk, N.I. Komplete 14, Win 10,64, Ozone 9 elements suite, Presonus studio 24c
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Use of Soundfonts can indeed represent a very good way to go when a software synthesizer, or at least a MIDI synth that lives inside the computer, is desired.

Use of one of the Creative cards that run the Soundfonts from their own external engine can open that up even further, emulating a hardware synthesizer in terms of latency (near zero when done right), plus you can try all sorts of available GM, GS and other banks of sounds without resorting to vast expenditure.

With a bit more self-research and education on the subject, one can even learn how to mix and match Soundfonts to create their own custom soundbanks, using programs like the good old (and somewhat complicated to master) Vienna program from Creative, or perhaps start out by finding a copy of the good old easier to use Drag 'n Drop "Soundfont Librarian" program.

The tradeoff is learning curve.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Ed,
Am I miss reading this or are you satisfied with the TTS-1 ? It can be used in BIAB.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
E
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
E
Hi,

Thanks so all of you for your suggestions. I did download the Sonivox demo, but I found out it has 1 channel only, so that wont work either.

Silvertones, I do like the TTS-1 very much, and if I could just get Sonar to work for me in Windows 7, I would use it again. I only need sounds for a quick review of a tune, once I like it I always use Real Tracks before finishing and converting to MP3.

Take care,
Ed

S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
OK, not as good as Ketron SD2 (which I own) but Prodipe VE is a relatively new GM software synth. Honestly, I don't use it much but I have it working on the computer we're using just to try Windows 7. I haven't tried BIAB on that computer but the Prodipe works fine with Windows 7 and another sequencer.

The Prodipe box includes a usb dongle which is also a simple audio interface. That turned out to be an advantage because Windows 7 doesn't recognize the computer's internal soundcard. As is recall, Prodipe VE cost around $90 US.

Susan

Veteran
Veteran
I am way behind and haven’t checked in at Cakewalk in a while so I also bummed to hear about Sonar – not working in Win 7?? (but I’m still in Win XP SP 3 so don’t really care yet and won’t for at least a year)

But since the subject is broached can anyone here give a fairly objective “how does the Ketron SD compare to other GM dedicated boxes like the RolandED SC-8850?” Which I do own and use for scratch work and quick work-ups (I like it better than messing with VSTs or soundfonts – cause I just twist a dial - two feet away) [But since this past Christmas I find myself using more and more realtracks/Realdrums <G>)

Edited- Strike those PS's (I deleted them) I found the samples I think I know the answer to above question

Thanks for any insight here.

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 08/19/09 03:49 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Larry, who told you SONAR doesn't work in Windows 7?

It works fine for me.

I am running Win 7 RC 32-bit. If you have Vista drivers for your soundcard, things should be fine. If your soundcard is a firewire device, there is a 'trick' involving legacy drivers; you can write back if you need that info.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
Susan,
thanks for the heads up on prodipe VE. I hadn't heard of this device but it looks like a really promising product. I wonder if anyone has experience of using it with BIAB? In particular I would like to know whether it will automatically respond to BIABs Midi instructions to change patches for new songs or new sections of songs (a lot of synths with GM capability won't do that). Also any opinions on sound quality versus the VSC and Forte woud be welcome.

The prospect of a better quality GM synth with no latency which works with BIAB as seamlessly as the VSC, and all for 99 Euros would be extremely appealing.

I don't often end up using the VSC sounds in my final compositions (usually substitute them with Sampletank or Halion voices once I move the project to Cubase) but I think that I sometimes might be dismissing some of the midi based styles just because of the quality of some of the VSC voices (particularly guitar).

The long term solution definitely resides with realtracks which are awesome, but I think that the midi styles will still be important until the realtracks library builds out more (2009.5 was a great step in that direction).

Many thanks

Regards, Aubrey

If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor.
E
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
E
Matt,

I'm the guilty party, I mentioned in my original post that Sonar wasn't working for me in Windows 7. I should have added "Because I can't get my interface (Tascam Fireone) to play nice with Sonar."

Actually, I just reinstalled Sonar and I am able to use the TTS-1 with BIAB (Thank God!) I just can't do any further editing in Sonar.

I still want to pick me up one of those way cool Keytron SD2 units. It seems I have to have an emergency meeting with the War Department (Wife) before I can do so.........

Ed

S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
Aubrey, the Prodipe VE does handle GM patch changes automatically. Keep in mind that I use GM synths primarily for playing midi files written to accompany piano teaching pieces, so my opinion on the sounds may not be entirely relevant to most BIAB users. FWIW, I like the Prodipe VE better than VSC-DXi/VST and Forte but not nearly so well as I like my Ketron SD2. (Except for REALLY HATING the vibrato on the SD2's clarinet and trumpet and not liking the pizz strings very much either, if anyone from Ketron is reading this post).

Susan

A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
Thanks Susan,
I have set aside the next few weeks for enjoying the 2009.5 realtracks, but after that I think that i might get Prodipe VE and give it a spin (I have found it for only £38.00 sterling on Thomann.com).

Best regards, Aubrey

If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,499
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195