Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
Expert
How do you use the Sound Canvas VA in BIAB, it is a VSTi ?
The DXi synth works fine as Default Synth, but the Roland Canvas don't work. According to the display, the tracks are well fed with MIDI data but, no sound get out.

Reach for excellence
G
G
Well, folks, it is very simple task to link VST-plugin and MIDI-output of any program.
1. You need a free program called MidiYoke. It gives you several virtual MIDI input and output devices. Every version of windows is supported, even Win 2016 Server TP4 smile
2. After that you set the MIDI-output of your favorite program to "Out To MIDI Yoke: 1".
3. You also need any of programs called "VST Host". "VST Host" from Hermann Seib, for example. Or SAVIHost. Or any other free utilities. This kind of "VST Host" programs can load VST-plugin and then you can set its input to "In From MIDI Yoke: 1".

Expert
Expert
OK with MIDIYoke.
I would dream of a direct integration of VSTi in BIAB without any additionnal software....

Reach for excellence
Veteran
Veteran
No MIDIYoke or LoopBe app needed you can use VSTi's directly in BIAB . But those apps are useful to have for different reasons and in complex config's.

BTW that New Roland VA comes with too many restrictions - you need to click on the buy button and then read the "reminders"

The old Roland sound canvas plugin/app was good but these days $125 is too pricy you can get Coyote Forte for a third that or buy Cakewalk Music Creator here and it comes with TTS-1 a Roland SC like plugin ( sound clone) a lot cheaper. And I am a Roland Fanboy

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
No MIDIYoke or LoopBe app needed you can use VSTi's directly in BIAB .

Larry, could you please detail how you proceed to get the Roland Sound Canvas VSTi as default synth ?

Reach for excellence
Veteran
Veteran
I think this new SC looks interesting. It's more than just a GM synth because they say it has 1600 sounds with lots of editing.

I'm going to DL the trial and I'll report back but it will take a few days.

Just watch the Biab set up video to see how to set it up. It's simple and no problem at all.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
G
G
Just added VST Hyper Canvas by doing:

Upper Menu: Opt. -> MIDI/Audio driver setup
Check: Use VSTi/DXi Synth
Button: VSTi/DXi Synth Settings ()
Button: ADD VST...

But i'm agree with
Originally Posted By: John-Luke
Roland Canvas don't work. According to the display, the tracks are well fed with MIDI data but, no sound get out.

This new-year-2016 Roland Sound Canvas is silenced in a BIAB-VST mode. The channel charts are moving up and down, but no sound cannot be heard.
The MIDIyoke does a job though! Thank you folks, for mentioning new ROLAND module!!

Last edited by glossum; 01/05/16 07:44 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Love to hear your report (i am on phone today so internet crippled)

But sounds like its a vsti version of most Roland GS Sound Canvas 's (for those who don't know GS is an expansion of GM thst allows variations of base 128 GM sounds as weel as other functions - Bob i kniw you know that but i think some reading this thread might not )

So suspect it 's like your Sonic Cell or my sc-8850 (1640 sounds) or SC-880 or SD-80 or 90

Don't get me wrong a good GM with GS expansion sounds/functions plugin is welcome and the "street price" will probably be closer to 100'ish but the listed restrictions by Roland was like a cold shower

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 01/05/16 07:41 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Don't get me wrong a good GM with GS expansion sounds/functions plugin is welcome and the "street price" will probably be closer to 100'ish but the listed restrictions by Roland was like a cold shower

And, I just read all the specs, what restrictions?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
I use soft synths as well (Dimension Pro-Cakewalk) which has some excellent sounds), as well as several already mentioned that come with Sonar. But, to echo what JazzMammal said regarding hardware synths/keyboards, I use a first generation Yamaha Motif keyboard, as well as second generation Yamaha ES Motif Rack unit more than soft synths. The advantage of hardware synths is much less overhead on the computer, and, I might add, pretty amazing sounds and replication of various instruments. While not quite as flexible as soft synths, most modern day (and even my hardware synths) can be updated with new sounds/patches, etc., as well as creating customized sounds. Whether playing the keyboard or using the rack synth with my synth enabled guitars, I can capture (mostly) what is played both audio and midi through the instruments and bring it right into notation.
Richard

Veteran
Veteran
Bob -

I think these are the restrictions he was referencing (from the Roland web site):

Quote:

Due to host application specifications, system exclusive messages cannot be sent from tracks to SOUND Canvas VA in the following hosts.

[Windows]
Windows® 7 SP1/Windows® 8/Windows® 8.1/Windows® 10
- Cakewalk SONAR PLATINUM/Professional/Artist(32-bit Edition/64-bit Edition)
- Ableton Live9 (32-bit Edition/64-bit Edition)
- Ableton Live9 Lite (32-bit Edition)
- Presonus Studio One 3 Professional (32-bit Edition/64-bit Edition)

[Mac]
OS X 10.8.5 or later/OS X 10.9/OS X 10.10
- Apple Logic Pro X (64-bit Edition)
- Apple GarageBand (64-bit Edition)
- Ableton Live9 (32-bit Edition/64-bit Edition)
- Presonus Studio One 3 Professional (64-bit Edition)
- MOTU Digital Performer 9 *Only VST Plug−in

Due to host application specifications, you cannot use control changes to make correct bank selections and program changes in the following host application.

[Windows]
- Cakewalk SONAR PLATINUM/Professional/Artist(32-bit Edition/64-bit Edition)

Due to host application specifications, there is a limit to the parameter that can use automation in the following host application.

[Windows]
*Compatible with only parameters that knob is attached.
- Ableton Live9 (32-bit/64-bit Edition)

[Mac]
OS X 10.8.5 or later/OS X 10.9/OS X 10.10
*Compatible with only parameters that knob is attached.
- Ableton Live9 (32-bit/64-bit Edition)

The SOUND Canvas is not normally recognized as a plug-in in the following host application.

[Windows]
- MOTU Digital Performer 9 (32-bit Edition/64-bit Edition)

We do not confirm compatible with SOUND Canvas VA other than that above the DAW software.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #329625 01/05/16 09:41 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah but that's just normal CYA stuff. You know, "Hey I just tried to play this wonderful midi file I downloaded from a free website and it sounds like crap, what gives?"

When they talk about all those exceptions, it won't read this or that what they're saying is if you load in a midi file that was created say in Kontakt using non GM controllers to get the performance nuances those little nuances won't play correctly because this synth isn't Kontakt. Many users especially here have no clue about those sorts of things. Many folks here simply want brain dead plug and play and once you get above the basic GM synths we've talked about, it doesn't work that way. The better synths require some tweaking from the user.

The one thing I saw was the minimum computer requirements. the CPU should be no problem for older systems but it says 4 gigs of ram. There are still quite a few users here running old XP systems with 2 gigs ram. That apparently won't cut it.

As far as the listing of compatible software, nobody ever lists Biab but Biab handles VST's just fine so it should work but that's why they have a free trial which I will try soon.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 01/05/16 09:50 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
What John said.

NOT trying to discourage, as matter of fact I just re-looked on the spec page and this just confirmed that THIS plugin is IDENTICAL (sound wise and part/poly wise) to my SC-8850

From Roland spec list:

"Number of parts 16 parts

Maximum Polyphony 64 voices

MIDI Format Conforms to GS, GM2, GM

Sound Maps 4 types (SC-8820, SC-88Pro, SC-88, SC-55)"

The SC-8820 and SC-8850 had same sound sets (analogous to how SD 80 and sd-90 have same sound sets) -
(look here to see who supplied the SC-8850 patch map to PG.)

Which makes it really good GM (GS/GM2) plug-in but sounds will be little dated. And PERFECT for BIAB and fast song generation for all non-real track parts!

I USE my SC 8850, I also use my old Alesis Nanosynth but when serious "endgame" is needed I use other rack gear or other plug-ins than SC, or TTS-1, or Forte, or even "plug ins" like Dim Pro!

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 01/05/16 09:48 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
actually the biggest gotcha for ME would be this one (Sonar is my goto DAW)

"Due to host application specifications, you cannot use control changes to make correct bank selections and program changes in the following host application.

[Windows]

・Cakewalk
SONAR PLATINUM / Professional / Artist(32bit Edition / 64bit Edition)

"

but I WILL DOWNLOAD AND TRY TRAIL in spite of all this. But will (probably) wait till price comes down for me to seriously consider buying (mainly since it's duplicative to what I already have in HW and other SW)

but your report will be useful to others here - so please ignore my doom and gloom

Veteran
Veteran
actually to beat this horse to death

Looking at list of patches they are one for one identical to SC-8850. Sound maps use same banks with same names - ditto drum maps to an SC-8850. BTW it DOES sound IDENTICAL to the SC-8850, here is a youtube on this it shows some sounds/patches with VA and then again with SC-8850.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP_67GQkKn4

But if want a BETTER review of what it does well and not well (this is for "iStuff" which I don’t own any of but same sounds/app) actually go to around 13 min if you like "voices" and especially jazz scat (~15:30+ min)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v24enzx3Beo

the included SC-55 maps even include the CM-64 LA and CM 64 PCM sounds (which for gamers might come in handy - if you use the right VSTi .dll wrapper - TBD).

So if it were cheaper I might buy it as a SW substitute to using/carrying my SC-8850 and cables.

SIDE BAR: Since folks here that have a Ketron and swear by them for acoustic sounds - it would be nice if they had a Ketron plug-in counterpart to this one!

Since we got off topic a little wonder why PG doesn’t pursue selling Ketron's SD-2's or one of the other Ketron variations here?

Larry

(I'm probably talking myself in to buying it after all)

Veteran
Veteran
actually to beat this horse to death

I don't think you're beating anything Larry, this is good info and it's great that you have the hardware version to compare to, I always heard good things about the 8850.

I think the real question regarding cost, is this significantly better sounding than the Forte Dxi or TTS-1? Those two are $40 each, if this is that much better I think it's worth it because what's the next step up? Not $2-300, it's more like $4-500.

The cool thing about having this as a plugin is the fast rendering of your song to audio. Software can render a song in 15-30 seconds while a hardware module has to be routed back to your computer using the audio ins and you record the playback in real time, there's no "rendering" with a hardware synth. A six minute song takes six minutes to record to audio.

Bob

Expert
Expert
Some users have comments about the sound of this VSTi, so how have you tested this VSTi in BIAB ?
Has anybody get Roland Sound Canvas VA working in BIAB as default synth without MidiYoke or other virtual cable?

Reach for excellence
Veteran
Veteran
Yes I was just about to comment

But you NEED JBridge. As dumb as it sounds I cannot get the 32 bit trail version to work in BIAB (or even Powertracks) (more later once I figure it out - it seems to be a sample rate issue interfering with BIAB BUT I'm still investigating so don't quote me, it could be ANYTHING (including "short between headsets") - remember it's a TRAIL version)

The 64 bit trial VERSION DOES WORK (via JBbridge).\

as with adding any VSTi/DXi as default:

1. click on the "Plugins" button

2. Click on the "Realtime VST/DXi Plugin in settgins

3. Click on the "default Synth"

4. at the top of the window that opens click on the TOP (first) slot and run scroll bar doe top bottom that says "add VSTi plugin"

5. POINT to the 64 bit version of the Sound Canvas .dll if you installed the trial with defaults than it is at

"C:\Program Files\Roland\Sound Canvas VA\SOUND Canvas VA.dll"

If you ALREADY added the 32 bit version (it has same name as 64 bit) you must FIRST delete it from the list in BIAB becasue the .dll's have the same name BIAB won't try and load the second version even though it's different (it's the 64 bit one) but BIAB sees the same name so it doesn't try to "reload" it.

You need to delete 32 bit one using the Options button in the VST plugins pull down window and you will see the remove VST button.

NOTE the FIRST time you open the Sound Canvas window in BIAB the "Parts" (or "FX' or "Options") portion of screen is cut off and you need send at least one instruments change to it then close BIAB and re-open to get the full Sound Canvas screen.

It is a BIAB display issue I will document it and send to PG support. I've had previous issues with large VSTi screens that BIAB wouldn't show whole "window" for in the past.

The output VOLUME of this VSTi (even at MAX for each part) seems to be low. And the total mix needs to be adjusted to level it all.

The 32 bit version of Sound Canvas VA works in 32 bit Mixcraft - but when I load a GM song ("Saturday in the Park") it sends the GM set to the Sound Canvas - it seems to ignore this - the parts play but are all the default Piano - also investigating that issue.

However the same song in 32 it Reaper works as expected and compared to my external SC-8850 sounds identical (when levels are set the same)

In 32 bit PowerTracks (2014) it loads up, has same display issue as BIAB (initially), and song sends all the right parts to the Sound Canvas VA VSTi but can't get any audio with - it causes no issues with running PowerTracks like it does in BIAB - just no audio.

STILL investigating (call me a geek)

the

Journeyman
Journeyman
I've read most of the responses here. I have to agree with some and disagree with others. smile

Coyote Forte is decent enough for an inexpensive GM soundset, but it is not "great", IMO.

TTS-1 is about the same as Coyote, IMO.

Hardware CAN be better in a lot of cases, but it depends on the hardware. I do tend to use a Yamaha MOXF on a lot of sounds, but some of its sounds are not great, either.

I also use Kontakt on some things, and on some things I use some of the cakewalk softsynths; SI Strings, SI bass, Soundcenter, DimPro, Rapture.

Mostly what the answer to this thread boils down to this:
it's about what you can afford for your level of satisfaction with the sounds. if you can afford Kontakt and can hear a difference between it and Coyote, then get it! if you can afford a hardware synth and can hear a difference, get it! if you are satisfied with Coyote and don't want to spend any more money, then don't!

just my 2 cents

Beagle #329963 01/07/16 04:44 AM
Expert
Expert
Larry,
In my mind, I was speaking about the 32-bit version!
yes the 64-bit is very functional.
Thanks for helping !

Reach for excellence
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,604
Posts735,001
Members38,512
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei, McYann
38,511 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186