Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
So we are all settled on a vsti version and a 64 bit c++ audio workstation version I will mark that as confirmed. The existing delphi32 version as stated will still be available for the older users and the 64 bit c++ audio workstation will also be ported to Macintosh.

Nothing wrong with ambition.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: JimFogle
RealTracks ARE awesome! But comparing them to a VSTi program is not a fair comparison. By definition VSTi is a sound generator and can only sound as good as the midi commands let it sound. RealTracks are a collection of audio phrases. The genius is not just the sound but the arrangement the musician follows, the recording and mixing engineers dedication to creating the right sounds AND the (BiaB) program's audio engine capability to compile the phrases into something that is both pleasing and coherent. To me that is truely magical.

Would a laser focused VSTi with the capability described above be great? You betcha'. Would it be the equal of megabucks VSTis like Kontakt? Perhaps but it would be a huge gamble for a small music company like PG Music. But, I don't think the VSTi program would be compared to another VSTi. I think it would be compared against audio loops and against loops RealTracks and a VSTi does not fare as well because loops and RealTracks both rely on audio phrases.

Compare RealTracks and BiaB against VSTi and PG Music "wins" because it is an apple versus oranges comparison. Compare RealTracks and BiaB against loops and you have a much more level match up. PG Music doesn't "win" but it doesn't lose either. They just get to compete against every other company that makes Acidized and Rex loops.

Some good points but not sure what your overall position is!

In my growing collection of virtual gear I have some plugs that feature totally synthesized sounds and I have some that are digitized samples. Some of the synthesized sounds have no real-world equivalent while others are intended to model and synthesize a real instrument.

What they all have in common is they can be "played" using a MIDI controller or by inputting the notes on some version of piano roll software.

Some of these plugs are very simple with only a note-for-note match between the MIDI controller and the samples being played. But others have quite extensive functionality such as loops or strum patterns, or drumming patterns, etc.

I understand that BIAB/RealTracks are not created, stored and manipulated note-by-note, rather, they are complete musical phrases a bar or more in length. So clearly there would be some difference between playing notes on a MIDI controller and having the plug select the proper samples from the library.

But given all of that I see no reason why it would not be possible to implement RealTracks generation via a VSTi interface that would work inside any DAW!

And yes, there would be technical issues to work out and also possible issues with assumptions of users who are familiar with how samples work and unfamiliar with the RealTrack phrase approach.

So, I acknowledge it will be a fairly steep learning curve if the PG team has not programmed VSTi before but I cannot imagine the curve to be any steeper than a complete rewrite in a modern framework! And of course there will still be GUI elements required but all of the stuff the DAW already does can be left out.

At the end of the day, if PG could create a RealTracks plug that follows the standards and works in any DAW it would be a KILLER product!

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

Some good points but not sure what your overall position is!
At the end of the day, if PG could create a RealTracks plug that follows the standards and works in any DAW it would be a KILLER product!

I agree a VSTi that can use RealTracks to create an audio file within a DAW environment is a wonderful idea. I support the thought.

But I don't think PG Music has any desire to create a VSTi.

That's one of the great things about PG Music, one never knows in advance what they will do. I never would have guessed a Band-in-a-Box foot pedal or partnering with Roland and Microsoft on Songsmith. PG Music follows their own path.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Roland helped with Songsmith? I didn't know that, where'd ya hear it?

It truly is surprising how much PGMusic gets done every year.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
It was on the Songsmith website. Roland provided different instrument samples from those used in Microsoft software. Songsmith also had a modeled based versus sample based instrument set for a short time years ago.

The project seems to be pretty stagnet but every now and then you can visit the website and scroll through the pages and find something new. I don't think there have been any changes to the program itself since 2012 but the forum area still has some activity.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
...... Delphi, C++, who cares? Just get that GUI fixed! Better yet, get the whole thing converted to a VSTi that I can use in my DAW!

VSTi youpee; we're waiting for that train quite a while now ... !!

P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
the mac guys are complaining about not having the same features as the win version and having to wait 6 months more

cross platform development in c++ might be a way to get both apps released at the same time with the same features
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cross+platform+development+in+c%2B%2B
Originally Posted By: wbe
There is still a big difference between the Mac-version and the Windows-version. Mac-users are missing a lot of Windows-features. When will there be an equivalent version? PGMusic should list the differences on their website. I didn't know them and was quite disappointed.

Veteran
Veteran
I say let the Mac users "eat cake"

Veteran
Veteran
LOL!

Isn't one of the main reasons behind the differences between Mac and Windows BIAB versions due to the fact that Apple changed their OS significantly a few years back without consideration for those programs that were designed for the previous system? I'm not sure about this but I seem to recall a discussion a year or two ago.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
I understand that BiaB current version and RealBand can run on Mac computer hardware, just need Parallels or Boot Camp etc and run it on a Mac under Windows O/S

Trouble is, many Mac users refuse to do that. That's really their decision. There is a choice.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
I would say that all the other cross platform audio applications are released at the same time but I could be wrong you would have to have a look and let me know. When you fix a problem with one version you would also be fixing the problem for the other version. Just trying to lift the awareness up.

this is some information on the Macintosh version

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
DIE Mac.jpg (88.34 KB, 387 downloads)
DIE Carbon.jpg (146.71 KB, 386 downloads)
DIE Cocoa.jpg (105.31 KB, 385 downloads)
DIE gcc.jpg (70.57 KB, 385 downloads)
Expert
Expert
I have not coded for a long time, did it at UNI, then some years in program design. Old school as a programmer, modular 2, Pascal.

As you guys know, I support a total rewrite and a VST. I believe that a new product will come with time (perhaps a loooong time) .

In regards to programming language I don't really know OOP, but I would have thought that major considerations would be what code was available off the library shelf, if there were good interfaces to work in, whether their was sympathetic development tools, enabling stuff like dockeable drag and drop widows, good sound, low latency.
Programming from scratch is always possible but it can be expensive and their are better ways to use time.

Big plus for VSTS

Z

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Journeyman
Journeyman
I recently retired as a software developer after 30 years in the trenches. I've written everything from Assembly to C#.
I worked freelance for the last 15years. I don't know how many tons (all code is measured by the metric ton) of code I have written.

A good friend (and decent enough programmer) once told me that
Programming is easy, good Ideas are difficult.

Inexperience sometimes makes people believe a particular tool or technology will instantly solve a problem. Experience shows us mostly this is not true. It is people who take the tools and make the product what it is.

In the hands of Stradivari a chisel is a formidable tool. In my hands it is but a pry bar.

The boys and girls at PG Music have put together a first class piece of code for over a decade now. This is MUCH longer than most programs survive.

Hats off to them.

They never could have done it in JAVA!!!

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Veteran
Veteran
All excellent points mrgeeze. Actually, BiaB just celebrated its 25th anniversary. An eternity in software applications.

Joel Spolsky is a New York software developer with some excellent ideas. I've long been an admirer of his work.

I remember he wrote this article - a long time ago now, but I kept a link to it because it's great advice and this advice is still current. The article discusses rewriting code from scratch. The line that caught my attention was: "It’s harder to read code than to write it." How true.

If PGM ever decided to port to a different development platform, don't expect the next release for a long time. A very long time. And what would be delivered after that extraordinary wait? Exactly what we have now, except with a whole new set of bugs thrown in that need to be painfully sorted out.

Joel also makes other excellent points:

"When you throw away code and start from scratch, you are throwing away all that knowledge. All those collected bug fixes. Years of programming work.

You are throwing away your market leadership. You are giving a gift of two or three years to your competitors, and believe me, that is a long time in software years."

I expect Peter and his team are aware of this too.

While I'm sure the intentions are all good, the O/P should definitely read Mr Spolky's article. I have no intention of being confrontational, but the line: "if they changed to c++ would get less errors and run smoother" is just utter nonsense.

Trevor

Veteran
Veteran
Excellent article, Trevor.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
... I remember he wrote this article - a long time ago now, ...

That's a cool series of essays and it brings back memories -- yes reading code is hard and developers knowing what they have written don't devote time to comment what the code means. Later they take weeks to analyze what they presumably have thought writing this mess within an hour.

It's a good read for everybody who has master solutions to better software.

Last edited by GHinCH; 01/08/16 09:47 AM.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I have followed Joel for years as well and I totally agree a complete rewrite of software as complex as BIAB would be an enormous undertaking. But there comes a time with every piece of software where you must bite the bullet and do it! Lots of folks here are always wishing for true 64-bit and except for a few die-hard EGA/DOS/WIN95-fans, everyone agrees the GUI is overdue for real modernization. Those kinds of changes done right will likely necessitate a pretty serious rewrite.

But I will come back to my VSTi mantra! If I were PG I'd plan to keep patching up BIAB indefinitely but on a parallel track I would hire a crack team of modern software architects & engineers to connect the brilliant RealTracks engine into a modern VSTi interface. Now that is a Killer Product!

P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
"They could keep the existing band in a box how it is 32 for the older users that have been accustomed to it's interface for the last 20 years and make a new modern version that can be used like band in a box but in an audio workstation like real band in a new c++ 64 application."

Hey guys don't miss the point i'm trying to make - the writing is on the wall - have a bit of insight. You don't want to hold things back.
Can you really see band in a box being still having only 32 bit in 2020 2030.. ?
I always see things long before they happen but they still always happen.
Lift up your consciousness, come up with some transcending ides - new concepts.

This is a good place to bring these to fruition.
Don't just sit back and wait n hope pg comes up with some good thing at the end of the year like chickens waiting to be fed, make it happen !

Don't hold back and knock things - get into it. You guys have got to aim a bit higher. With all the vast programming knowledge you guys have it should be possible - not impossible.

If another company decide now to do the same thing, how quick do you think it would take pg to change things ?

LISTEN to johnjohnjohn - get that "VSTi interface" happening NOW !

P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
I found this http://sourceforge.net/projects/delphiasiovst/ so you delphi programmers might be able to incorporate the bbw.exe into a vst as is done something like in realband that calls on c:\realband\data\bbw2.exe (initializing accompaniment)

you could set up a main instance of the plugin on track 1. and set it to track 1. in the vst, with track 2. set to track 2. in the vst and so on or allow the next track as a midi track for the midi notation of that real track.

so the plugin will follow the host synchronization n bpm TPOPSTRINGDIALOG

the vst would need to show the chord window TSSWINDOW and other necessary windows that could be in tab form, might be easiest to follow if you have the chord window like real band continuous unfolded - but basically you just need it for generating up the tracks then move to the daw functions for any further editing.

you should be able to select any bars then click the generate track No.X button on the main plugin window to render a new piece if you don't like the section, without having to generate the entire track.

so the generate buttons would need a drop down menu with real track - drums - user track - super midi and so on with recent generation to choose from could be something like the drop down generate in real band.

you would still need the open save as to import and save an sgu

you can set a bar offset in your daw to allow for 2 bar count off and pickup intro notes.

That is just a startup idea any other users with suggestion, improvements and ides for the vst please post! *

There is a cross platform c++ VSTGUI to create for Macintosh also but by the responses you guys weren't too worried about them. http://sourceforge.net/projects/vstgui/?source=recommended

* again please note "They could keep the existing band in a box how it is 32 for the older users that have been accustomed to it's interface for the last 20 years"

Veteran
Veteran
Stimulating conversation that I've been following from the beginning. Been reading, but held my fingers in check, but feel the need to write something regarding this subject.

I'm sure that PG is way ahead of you. As development takes time and knowing how 'secret' PG is about upcoming releases, I am not at all surprised to not see any PG staff responding to this interesting thread.

Do any of you seriously believe that Dr. Peter Gannon is still living in the DOS ages? I think not. Bide your time, fellow BIAB'ers.... As has been adequately mentioned, a complete rewrite of what we have today is a HUGE undertaking and will take a lot of time and resources (therefore, money!).

Things will come to fruition in time. And time is what it will take.

Keep on keeping on! laugh

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,604
Posts735,001
Members38,512
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
BroDon, Xtian, michael07716, Ronsei, McYann
38,511 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186