Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I think my comment when you announced the coming of this project was.... this should be interesting.... and yeah... it is.

It's always good to get out of our self-imposed boxes and write stuff that we're not really 100% up to speed on or comfortable with. That's the kind of experience that helps us grow as writers and musicians. So.. kudo's on doing that with this song.

I really liked the musical bed. That is my favorite part of the song. Really rocking stuff going on musically. Guitars chugging away, off the wall picking, driving drums..... there's a lot to like and appreciate here.

Nits and crits:

On this playback system the drums and bass were lacking a bit. So I fired up the lappy and used cans..... not much difference actually. Wondering about the compression levels on this since when the drums and bass does come in, you can hear it's there but it really doesn't make a big difference in the levels. It's kinda boxy and perhaps a bit subdued sounding rather than laying a solid foundation. You need to "open up the sound" a bit with respect to the low end. Put some dynamics back in the mix. Just because it's punk rock, don't kill it with compression and limiters. Let the mix breathe.

Singing is first class as always.... but it's easy to listen and say, yup.. that's a country singer right there.... That's not a crit.... just an observation. Our learned and practiced habits are hard to break. Like going to another part of the country and about 15 seconds into a sentence, the other party looks at you and says.... "You ain't from around here, are you?"

Good song....not my favorite genre but heck... keep writing these kinds of songs that are out of your normal style.... it certainly makes for interesting listening and will aid you on your songwriting journey.

It's all good....!!!

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well. That really blew away some cobwebs. grin

I listened on my studio computer through my Senn's and I think the low end holds up really well, as does the rest of the mix.

Outside the box? There ain't no box on this one. laugh

"Punk Floyd" - love it.

Regards,

Bob

SRP #331850 01/18/16 04:16 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Punk Floyd
Oi!
Nailed it.

HA! Thanks, Peter...

Originally Posted By: RnAM
A cool one Floyd! Nice to see that you're experimenting with new styles, so to speak ;-)
Very nice lyrics on this one too!

Rob & Anne-Marie

Thanks, y'all. Not sure I would call it "experimenting" - it will likely be a one-time deal. When I heard the Punk RTs I thought they worked well, so figured I'd try them out. I did little to them other than manipulate the solo track to provide that repetitive punk feel. The tracks are much as they come out of BIAB - nothing added... Actually spent more time listening to how punk is created and mixed than I did working up the song...

Originally Posted By: SRP
Floyd I like your versatility and that you aren't afraid to step out of the box and use all the goodies that BIAbox has to offer. Great job! I can't wait to see what else you will come up with in the future. Enjoyed it!
Sonny

Thanks, Sonny. Ya gotta mix it up once in a while, eh... Appreciate your support... I always look forward to what you do next as well...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Well that was different.... an experiment by a versatile explorer's expedition as you fell back to earth out of an old man's mind.....

Thanks for listening and commenting...

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
You put sugar back into your diet didn't you? That sh*t will mess you up! True to punk form it clocks at 2:38 by my eye, that's good.
Seriously it shows range, you can stretch and write something pretty
credible outside yer comfort zone, and you have a big comfort zone, now it's just humongous! I've been entertained, thanks. Some very nice guitar
playing going on here, managed to include just about every family member, extra points for that.

Kenny

Thanks, Kenny. The Punk soloist RT is very cool - wild, almost - a lot going on... there might be a chance to use it for other styles if you grab small snippets... I use a single phrase several times in order to get the repetitive lick that I wanted... about the only "work" involved in putting this together...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: critter
I think it's time to move to Florida, my son lives in Tampa, we could have a hell of band with that kind of tunes. We could call the band The Geezers. Great song, love it, I will have to check out the style and make one too. Another FJ winner!!!!!

Critter - always nice of you to drop by...HA! Not sure that my voice could handle more than one of these every so often... I think "Zeegers" would be a better name - confuse people a little...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd !

Way out of left field, but you just managed to absolutely demonstrate the power of this system when placed in good, professional hands.

Your formidable vocal delivery took everything to a new level (again).

(Not sure about the abrupt ending, was that intentional?)

Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

(Not sure about the abrupt ending, was that intentional?)
Trev

Me either... but, if it's there, Floyd meant it to be there.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gibson
floyd,

never thought I'd hear you rawking punk style and then that ending haha

great stuff as usual

Alyn

Thanks for giving it a go, Alyn...

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Floyd,

I could listen to that only twice. And now
I'm depressed! By the music and by the lyrics.
In this song you totally changed your personality.
Even the name: Punk Floyd.
You are a master of disguise.
I enjoyed the experience.

Guenter

Sorry to depress you, Guenter... Just felt like stretching a bit... got to stay young at heart if nothing else... thanks for the listen and comments...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
LOL, OMG, WTF, Cra-Cra! It's like getting hit by Floyd Patterson and then continuing to take punches from Floyd Mayweather.Somehow I don't think this will play well at Floyd's Barbershop in Mayberry. Mucho kudos for digging deep into the box in order to get outside of the box. Some great lines and a fabulous listen. Tom

HAHAHA! You don't know...those guys at Floyd's Barbershop are pretty hip... thanks for the fun review.

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Nice one Floyd.

your voice goes well with punk too.
Great guitar solo

Great work.

Sergio

Thanks, Sergio... nice of you to say. I think the solo is certainly appropriate...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"Punk Floyd" LOVED IT!!!

Bob

ROG #332780 01/23/16 06:11 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Whoa, what WAS that?

Umm... we don't label it, man. We just throw it against the wall and see if it will stick, eh?... ( smile "Punk response")

Quote:

That took me completely by surprise, Floyd! I never knew you could sing like that.

I never have before. It will be some time before I do again... that hurts.

Quote:

What a fabulous piece of fun music. All credit to you to break away from from what we've come to expect and then make it sound like you'd been doing it forever.

What a nice thing to say! I thought that if anyone would "get this" it would be you...

Quote:

And what a mix. I turned it up on the old Tannoy Reds until I could see the cones moving and believe me that's LOUD. Thought I was going to cause structural damage at one point. Needless to say, it still hung together and sounded fantastic.

All Right!!! Just what I was hoping for...

Quote:

Whatever next?

ROG.

Likely something a bit "gentler". But, you never know. The boys in The Band will do whatever you ask of 'em...

Thanks for the fun review.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Okay FJ, I'm not going to lie and say this is my fav FJ genre - not by a country mile. But dang it, you sure went for it and I've got to give you some MAJOR kudos on the way you came busting out of the comfort zone. Especially those vocals. Total transformation and did it well. FJ Hyde.
Salute!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Someone contact PG Music! Floyd's account has been hacked!!!!!

Just let them know, that someone with A LOT of talent hacked his forum account is using PG products to put out some pretty awesome music!

Also, tell them that they somehow morphed Floyd's voice into a TOTALLY different style...AND...that is works surprisingly well!!! As in...perfect for the style.

Listen buddy, I don't know who you are, but rest assured when FJ gets ahold of you, there are going to be some great country songs to be written about the encounter. You've been warned!

Now, until that happens, I'm going to have another listen. Whoever you are, you did a great job!

HAHHAHAHAHAHA! One of my favorite reviews.

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
On a different note, the melody is VERY catchy. By brain has been trying to read all of the comments in that melody with your voice! I've never had THAT happen before. Nice!

Are you hearing voices again, Caaron? smile ....It makes for refreshing comments!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I woke early bent on catching up on posts in the showcase. Just sat down with my first cup of coffee & chicory, but I don't need it now 'cause after that song, I'm awake.

Very creative and courageous. A bold step into unfamiliar territory and one which really demonstrates the possibilities with PG Music's software.

I need to look at the lyrics again...they're as in-your-face as the music is.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Wowser. What an awesome tune. Jumped right out the gate. Awesome vocal and guitar work. Hit me dead center.

Thanks, Scott! Good to know this resonated with you in some way...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dani48
Floyd !:))

Isn´t it just great, to step out of
the box and find yourself in that
uncharted territory where everything
is allowed and anything can happen ?

I love it when you step out of
that box to make these experiments
and I´m waiting for your dip into
the Bacharachian world !

I loved this because I also
love to step out of the box every
now and then and I know how invigorating
that can be not only for you and me, bbut
for everyone !

Cheers
Norman

What do you mean? This is the real me. I've been faking all that other stuff... smile Thanks, Norman!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd I have run out of verbs, nouns, adjectives and adverbs to express how good I think your music sounds. I wish that I had your talent because everything you touch, regardless of genre, turns to gold!

Super song as usual.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Man I played this really loud and I loved it, but can you buy me a new set of speakers??? I will send you my address.

Just kidding.

Old school head banging man. Loved it. Makes me want to put a ring in my tongue.

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Very nice! I enjoyed it. Hiroshi

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I think my comment when you announced the coming of this project was.... this should be interesting.... and yeah... it is.

It's always good to get out of our self-imposed boxes and write stuff that we're not really 100% up to speed on or comfortable with. That's the kind of experience that helps us grow as writers and musicians. So.. kudo's on doing that with this song.

I really liked the musical bed. That is my favorite part of the song. Really rocking stuff going on musically. Guitars chugging away, off the wall picking, driving drums..... there's a lot to like and appreciate here.

Nits and crits:

On this playback system the drums and bass were lacking a bit. So I fired up the lappy and used cans..... not much difference actually. Wondering about the compression levels on this since when the drums and bass does come in, you can hear it's there but it really doesn't make a big difference in the levels. It's kinda boxy and perhaps a bit subdued sounding rather than laying a solid foundation. You need to "open up the sound" a bit with respect to the low end. Put some dynamics back in the mix. Just because it's punk rock, don't kill it with compression and limiters. Let the mix breathe.

Singing is first class as always.... but it's easy to listen and say, yup.. that's a country singer right there.... That's not a crit.... just an observation. Our learned and practiced habits are hard to break. Like going to another part of the country and about 15 seconds into a sentence, the other party looks at you and says.... "You ain't from around here, are you?"

Good song....not my favorite genre but heck... keep writing these kinds of songs that are out of your normal style.... it certainly makes for interesting listening and will aid you on your songwriting journey.

It's all good....!!!

Thanks for the time that you spent with this and the thought that you put into it.

Since I have posted Country, Pop Country, Country Rock, Hard-Core Country, Lite Rock, Rock, Latin Rock, Singer-songwriter waltzes, story songs, a John Prine "tribute" (or ripoff if you choose), Pop, Pop Ballads, Pop Rock, Americana, Alternative Rock, Folk, Reggae-influenced rock, Waits-style "jazz", Piano Ballads, Blues, Ensemble Rock with horns, and now Punk, I don't think you can really lump me in your "self-imposed boxes".

Regarding your nits and crits...Since there is no compression on the bass it's interesting that you "hear it". There are no limiters on anything. There is a multiband compressor on the drums with a standard configuration for stereo drum tracks. It is a preset in Studio One that is very well done. I do not modify that at all. There are no compressors or limiters on any of the other tracks. Or eq, for that matter. They are all exactly as they come out of BIAB. That was intentional. I wanted this to be a demonstration of the BIAB Punk tracks because I thought they did a good job of giving us that option/style/choice....

If you take the time to listen to some punk songs, you will find that the bass guitar is (generally) used differently than in the type music you are accustom to. It is not a booming, bottom heavy root-5 bass. It is generally used like an additional rhythm guitar. Listen to the 2588:Bass, Electric, PunkFuzzPicked8ths Ev 165 RT by itself. It is exactly what you will hear in many punk recording (not all - they vary widely). It is not a country bass. It is not a rock bass. You are likely missing it because your ears are not attuned to it. Punk song are generally "all about the guitars". The drums are generally mixed to blend into the guitar bed. Drums seldom "take center stage" as they do in Country Rock or Pop.

Others - with good systems and good ears - have mentioned that the mix is good (even the bottom) and holds up well even when cranked to max levels (which a song like this is designed for).

Some classic punk for your edification.

Green Day - Basket Case
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUTGr5t3MoY

The Clash - Complete Control
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TcKiC2yB0s

Sex Pistols - God Save the Queen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvMxqcgBhWQ

American Idiot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee_uujKuJMI

Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the U.K.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc89WTEh-jE

The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPxsS_-LTe0

Thanks for listening.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,554
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199