Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
It's been a while since I tried to solve this problem. Last time no-one, including PG, could solve it for me so I will have another go.

At the end of every song using a style with at least one RT there is an annoying audible "blip" at the end of the song. It happens at the end of the last bar assigned to the song, not when the last actual instruent plays. I have taken to assigning extra blank bars at the end that I don't need which means I have time to stop playback with spacebar beofore I hear the blip. It is happening when the sound card "switches off" if that is a correct term.

I have tried muting all instruments with F5 at the end of the actual sng but this makes no difference. I happens with Win 7/8/10 and BIAB 2014/15/16 and perhaps even earlier.

I had assumed it was something to do with my particular laptop but having just acquired a new W10 I7 machine it does exactly the same.

Any ideas?

Apprentice
Apprentice
Tony,

Have you tried increasing the output level of your computer and turning down the amp/mixer? Generally speaking, if your sound source is turned down low and your amp/mixer is turned up high, it would tend to make any undesirable, extraneous noises louder.

I have never heard the sound you describe, although in the early days of RealTracks, I sometimes heard a stray note or two at the very end of a BIAB-generated 2-bar ending. I have pretty much stopped using those endings and that was one reason why I decided to do so. Instead, I usually just use a final held chord for 2-4 bars, depending on tempo.

Jim
Psalm 33:3 Sing unto him a new song; play skillfully with a loud noise.

BIAB 2018 build 519; Dell Inspiron N4110, Windows 10 64 bit, Intel Core i3-2350m running at 2.29 GHz, Memory: 6 GB DDR3, SDRAM 1MHz
Veteran
Veteran
Tony, I believe you. This is not unheard of. Could you provide this info please:

Does the noise happen at the end of a song played not in BIAB, such as when using Windows Media Player?

What sound card are you using? Are the drivers for it up to date?

Are you using ASIO or MME in the BIAB audio settings? If you switch, does it still happen?

If it's ASIO, what is the buffer setting? Have you experimented with changing it?

Do you have any digital connections in your audio chain, such as SP/DIF or light pipe?

Does the noise appear on a recording of your BIAB song, and if so, is it in the exact same place?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Originally Posted By: 1manband
Tony,

Have you tried increasing the output level of your computer and turning down the amp/mixer? Generally speaking, if your sound source is turned down low and your amp/mixer is turned up high, it would tend to make any undesirable, extraneous noises louder.

I have never heard the sound you describe, although in the early days of RealTracks, I sometimes heard a stray note or two at the very end of a BIAB-generated 2-bar ending. I have pretty much stopped using those endings and that was one reason why I decided to do so. Instead, I usually just use a final held chord for 2-4 bars, depending on tempo.

I always have the computer volume set to max.
The sound is not a note - it's an electronic blip, similar the what you get if you unplug an audio input to an amplifier with the volume turned up. That's why I think it sounds like the sound card "turning off"

Tony

Veteran
Veteran
Is it reproducible? If so upload the song so we can try it on other users systems. That will confirm if it is unique to your systems. Seems like that would be a good start to finding the source. I can tell you I don't hear anything like that at this time.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Tony, I believe you. This is not unheard of. Could you provide this info please:

Does the noise happen at the end of a song played not in BIAB, such as when using Windows Media Player?

What sound card are you using? Are the drivers for it up to date?

Are you using ASIO or MME in the BIAB audio settings? If you switch, does it still happen?

If it's ASIO, what is the buffer setting? Have you experimented with changing it?

Do you have any digital connections in your audio chain, such as SP/DIF or light pipe?

Does the noise appear on a recording of your BIAB song, and if so, is it in the exact same place?

No, it never happens anywhere else but BIAB
I always use MME but switching to ASIO makes no difference.
Yes, my drivers are up to date but it also happens if I switch to a Soundblaster USB sound card and was exactly the same with my previous computer.
I have no other digital connections.
It is not recorded with a BIAB song. It only happens at the end of the last bar of any song with RT's even when the bar is empty and the audio has already finished. I can move the blip ahead by say 4 bars by simply adding four bars to the end.

You can see why I eventually gave up and lived with it!

Tony

Veteran
Veteran
I do understand and I do believe you, and your well-controlled frustration.

That's good info but you did not answer one question that may be the most important: what brand and model is your soundcard? This problem has been reported with M-Audio, Focusrite and Realtek, to name a few I have read about.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds like the buffer is unloading at EOF. That's my first guess.
For some users this happens at the start of a song when play is clicked again (the buffer stays loaded until then).
To test:
If you let BiaB play the song through once from start to finish, does it happen the next time you play the same file?
In other words, on some systems this only happens when you stop the song during playback (and thus leave the buffer loaded) so it is waiting for a point where it can 'unload'.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Thanks for the responses

Matt

The laptop soundcard is a Conexant Smart Audio HD and I also use an external USB SoundBlaster SBX-Fi-Go-Pro, I have no idea what the card was in my previous laptop. In every case the blip was the same so I wonder why it could be due to the particular card/driver.

Rharv

Your description "sounds like the buffer unloading" fits the symptoms and I have occasionally heard a blip at the beginning of a song. However I cannot reproduce it at the beginning.
The blip at the end happens every time I play the same song however I will recheck if I hear another starting blip.

Perhaps I should mention that I nearly always use a "manual" song ending e.g. A... to hold all tracks, followed by B. to stop all tracks. I have tried using a two bar ending generated by BIAB but still get the blip.

BTW I have created hundreds of songs with at least one RT and every single one blips!!

Tony

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Tony. I agree with you; just trying to rule things out.

Veteran
Veteran
Interesting....

So.... if you render the BB song to a wave file... does the blip get recorded into the wave or does this only happen when you're doing a live playback inside BB?

I have had some weird things happen in BB and RB with tracks and some of those are with the manual endings as opposed to the BB 2 or 4 bar endings....

So the next aspect of this would be if you are planning to produce a finished song.... the blip can easily be edited out in a DAW. In which case, who cares about the blip in the track end in BB? It will never make it to the final mix anyway.

You should hear some of the stuff I edit out of my BB/RB tracks..... no, on second thought, no you shouldn't... that's why I edit it out.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/25/16 06:28 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
So.... if you render the BB song to a wave file... does the blip get recorded into the wave or does this only happen when you're doing a live playback inside BB?

Exactly, and I asked him that. He said it does not get recorded into the song. It occurs when the audio stops playing. Quite a puzzle.

Veteran
Veteran
If it's not recorded into the wave at rendering .... that means it's not in the song's music... either data or audio.

That means it has to be computer related. Very likely related to the driver, the audio card and the settings being used.

I saw that Tony is using a Sound blaster card and MME drivers. Those are not the best cards or drivers to use. If the buffers and latency are not set properly, that could be introducing problems.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Exactly. That SoundBlaster is not a home studio recording interface, it's a consumer grade item sold at Fry's or Best Buy for gaming not for musicians setting up a home studio. Could it be made to work properly? Maybe, I don't know. What I do know is I would never consider it in the first place.

I can't guarantee that's the problem here but just as a matter of course I would go to a GC or Sam Ash and pick up a proper interface and see what happens. It might cost you $150. If you still have the same problem, return it.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Please don't pick up on my mention of SoundBlaster as the reason for to my problem. I know there is a lot of negative opinion about this brand.

I have normally used the built in sound card on two different laptops and BOTH exhibit the same problem. I would bet that many, many people do it this way this without my blip problem. I just happen to have a little SoundBlaster USB card which I tried to see if there was any difference. I'm not prepared to buy another piece of equipment just yet since I seem to be the only one with the problem.

I will give ASIO another try but I abandoned it years ago because of strange clicks, latency problems and general bizarre behaviour. MME has always been very stable and predictable, apart from the blips. I should mention that I don't use DXI because I have an hard synth and the BIAB FAQ says you may need ASIO if you use DXi.

Thanks
Tony

Last edited by Tony Wright; 01/26/16 02:12 PM.
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
OK I seem to have solved the problem, at least for now.

I downloaded the latest version of ASIO For All and it seems to have solved the problems. I couldn't get it to work properly at first but turning off "always on" seems to be working. I have given up on ASIO in the past so my jury is still out.

Thanks for your help

Tony

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for reporting back.
It can't be said enough; drivers drivers drivers

If it happened at the beginning of a song (even if occasionally) it was likely the drivers having buffer issues. You probably could have narrowed this down with testing (stop in middle of song while buffers are loading, rewind to beginning, hit play and listen .. can you cause it to happen reliably).

Whatever drivers work for your system are the best ones to use.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
This whole thread reinforces why troubleshooting digital audio can be challenging. SoundBlasters do get a bad rap, but for playback only, I believe that bad rap is undeserved.

The most interesting thing about the solution is that most advice now suggests to not use ASIO4ALL. ASIO4AlL is not ASIO; it is a utility that fools the system into thinking it is ASIO when it really uses WDM. Although it rarely solves problems and often causes them with other soundcards, perhaps it is a better match with the SoundBlaster.

Always fun, isn't it?

T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley

The most interesting thing about the solution is that most advice now suggests to not use ASIO4ALL. ASIO4AlL is not ASIO; it is a utility that fools the system into thinking it is ASIO when it really uses WDM. Although it rarely solves problems and often causes them with other soundcards, perhaps it is a better match with the SoundBlaster.

Always fun, isn't it?

Thanks Matt

So what is a better ASIO to use than ASIO4ALL?

Tony

Veteran
Veteran
If a soundcard has its own ASIO driver, it is likely better to use it than to use ASIO4ALL. Even the descriptions of ASIO4ALL say that. However, there are exceptions and you still have to try whatever you have and find out. As an example, for the Tascam FW-1884 I had for many years, the company even recommended not using their own ASIO driver! They said to use their WDM driver instead.

In other words, try everything and then use whatever works better.

There is a benefit to NOT using ASIO. Most ASIO drivers still work with only one sound source at a time. There is a new multi-client ASIO standard now, but not all equipment has such drivers. When you wan to run, say, BIAB and an audio editor like Adobe Audition at the same time (and I do that), and both use ASIO, you can't output both to the same device. As a result, many here use the MME driver for BIAB. Unless you are recording AND want to record a keyboard along with existing sound, you don't really need ASIO anyway. The benefit of using ASIO in that situation is to reduce the latency of monitoring your own keyboard playing so you don't get confused by the delay as you record.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,584
Posts734,712
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197