Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#335871 02/10/16 08:30 AM
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Since I'm a newbie to RB I have a lot of questions - I hope I'm not getting on your nerves with my almost daily postings. At least I promise that before bringing up issues here I will search back postings, read the manual and ask Google!

Here are my 2 questions about volume automation:

1. Am I right: You can copy the volume tracks of MIDI files, but can't copy the volume track of one audio track to another audio track?

2. I always have horn sections in my songs, which I convert to audio files after the MIDI tracks are OK. To make the section sound exactly like I want it to, I have to find a very exact place for each instrument volumewise and of course panwise (can I use that word?). Mostly changing the volume by a very small value makes the difference. After that I'd like to throw in some (de-)crescendi. If I edit the volume track of each instrument accordingly I cannot change the volume later on with the mixdown.

If I automate volume changes by recording the respective fader moves one by one I will lose 'my' sound, because in order to get a crescendo I'll have to pull the fader almost completely down to zero and then up again - that way it's almost impossible to bring it back to the exact value it had before.

Of course I could leave the horn tracks untouched after editing their volume tracks and change only the other instruments to make them fit in, but that is pretty limiting, too.

The solution would be recording the fader moves of the subgroup I combine all horns in. But I do understand that this is not possible, because subgroups have no tracks on their own.

I am sure that lots of folks work with horn (or string) sections - how do you get along with that problem - are there any workarounds...?

Thanks in advance for your help.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Crossroads,

It appears few people are using RealBand as you describe. My thought is you might want to try multiple passes for each track.

During pass one the concentration might be on acquiring the best, most realistic midi to audio conversion possible. What does "best" mean in this example? Maybe it means an audio output with dynamics similar to what a human can produce. Maybe it means limited dynamic range like recording an instrument with a compressor insert on the track. It most likely will mean taking care of broad volume levels in midi. You'll have to define "best" but the goal is the best midi to audio conversion you can obtain so you don't have to do all the mixing in the audio domain. I'm thinking each midi instrument audio track should be a mono track since it is common to have mono instrument tracks. Even major tracks such as main vocal, lead guitar or sax solo typically begins life as a recorded audio track.

Once everything is rendered to audio then you can treat the song project as all audio. With most or all mono audio tracks, center all panning so you can work on volume levels and frequency separation. Get the best sounding mono mix you can. Once you have a good mono mix, then pan and start adding effects.

Try it.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yep.... Real Band is a very basic DAW and as such, does not have the full functionality one expects in a DAW.

I would suggest that you look into buying something like Cakewalk's Music Creator 7 for $20 from their website or what ever other DAW you might prefer. I use Sonar, also by Cakewalk and a few steps up from the MC series. I started with the MC series so I have no doubts it will do what you need.

I write my songs in Band in a Box and then use Real Band to render the audio tracks. I export those tracks one at a time into Sonar. So essentially, I am using 3 different programs to do what I do. You will find that many others also use a separate DAW to do their final mixing. It's also where I add vocals and my live played instruments and other synths.

In Sonar, I can easily add the volume and panning envelopes I need to control the sound of the instrument in the track. Sonar's envelopes are easily controlled by inserting nodes manually or it will follow "writing automation" in real time. Essentially, turn write automation on and during the playback it will record the fader and knob movements you make. I don't like doing it that way because it's messy ( one fader movement can easy deposit 20 to 30 nodes into the envelope) and not very accurate. I find I get the best control by surgically inserting the nodes exactly where I want them. Fades in and out are very easy to accomplish and by dragging the track vertically larger, you can get precise dB settings on those nodes.

The photo above is a typical look at a project I do in Sonar. Notice the bright yellow lines with dots.... those are the volume envelopes and the nodes. Panning envelopes are red where they are used. Whichever mode you are in is highlighted. This is volume mode.

By zooming in on the track, I can place my envelopes surgically to get one note in one track and the very next node in the track above it to make one piano fill.(<< That was done in a different song.) I can also easily fade instruments in or out as you can see in the photo.

NOTE: Always take your tracks into the DAW for mixing as full uneffected, dry tracks. Don't do any fades or edits in BB/RB. The edits that you "burn" to the tracks upon export from BB/RB become permanent and that's not the best option. Leave the tracks 100% complete and dry, and you can always do your edits in the DAW and those things are easily changed by adjusting the envelopes.

With a good, fully functional DAW, you will be able to do everything you are asking for, and do it easily.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
RealBand
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
In Sonar, I can easily add the volume and panning envelopes I need to control the sound of the instrument in the track. Sonar's envelopes are easily controlled by inserting nodes manually or it will follow "writing automation" in real time.

Volume envelopes are also offered in RealBand, and have been since 2014 (I believe). Here's the PG Music tutorial:

https://youtu.be/Z5kKx5ThpSY

I have worked in lots of other DAWs in the past (including MC7, as Guitarhacker suggested). However, I am currently working entirely in Realband to really wrap my brain around all that it has to offer. So far, I have found that it does most everything as other DAWs if I just do a little digging to find it.

Last edited by railway mark; 02/11/16 05:58 AM.

Mark
2020 BIAB Audiophile, Mixcraft Pro 9
Band: http://www.midwesternlull.com
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
So far, I have found that it does most everything as other DAWs if I just do a little digging to find it.

Yep, people just don't take time to learn it.
Regarding original post;
I believe you can indeed cut/copy just volume nodes for audio or MIDI.
Don't have it open right now to verify.
And yes it has automation, though some (who are used to other DAWs) feel it could be improved.

OK, opened it for image below.
Highlight section of audio, then click Copy.
Check what you want, uncheck what you don't.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
NodeCopy.jpg (49.72 KB, 58 downloads)
Last edited by rharv; 02/11/16 02:58 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
This is the major point about RB that gets missed ALL THE TIME. RB does much more than people realize.

Sometimes when someone becomes part of the PG family they are already familiar with and invested a lot of time and money in another DAW so they don't want to switch and I can't blame them. Just don't make assumptions that RB can't do something without testing it out first. I just made that mistake about a hardware synth with a GM soundbank and Notes corrected me. This stuff is tricky.

The thing to keep in mind for people reading this is if you already have a $4-600 big name DAW great. For that price it better do stuff that RB can't or if it can it does it better, easier with prettier looks, whatever.

BUT, if you don't already have another DAW and you're thinking you might need one, FULLY check out what RB can do FIRST. Depending on what your needs are it could easily be all you need.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
rharv #336365 02/12/16 10:29 PM
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks rharv,

that's exactly what I tried, but it didn't work with thd nodes of an audio track...

RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Bob,

although I don't have too much experience with other DAWs that's exactly my impression so far: RB is much more powerful than it seems to be at first glance, you just have to find out. And I really do prefer it's clear GUI to that of other DAWs, OK, that's a matter of personal taste.

Of course there seem to be a few things lacking, but I am convinced that you can get stunning results with it. And then there's this great forum with so much helpfulness and, of course, the wishlist.

Yes, you are perfectly right: With the X-mas special I paid less than 200 bucks for the UltraPlusPak with thousands of MIDI and RealTrack styles, which summed up to about 90 GB I believe - if that's not value for money...

I just got the forum title 'Enthusiast' and that's exactly what I've become during tbe last six weeks!

RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi guys,

thanks a lot for taking the time for your elaborate replies.

I read your suggestions and descriptions very carefully - it's' really interesting to get to know the different approaches you have. But I am sure that I will benefit from either one; in fact I already tried some of the things you mentioned in order to find out what suits me best.

Inspired by JimFogle's opinion I meanwhile figured out how I can solve my "crescendo problem': Since these crescendi will not be changed once I threw them in, I can prepare the volume track of one horn MIDI track first, then copy its nodes to the other horn MIDI tracks and render the four horn section tracks (be it EQed like JimFogles wrote or' dry' like Guitarhacker prefers it) afterwards. Either way I can change their final volumes during the mixdown to any value without having to take care of the crescendi.

So thank you very much again.

Stefan

rharv #336419 02/13/16 05:16 AM
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi rharv

I just tried it once again - the volume track of an audio track can only be copied when you copy the whole track including the audio part (thus by checking "Events" and "Nodes"). Copying solely the volume track (by checking just "Nodes") doesn't work with me...

Stefan

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,608
Posts735,031
Members38,514
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716
38,513 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186