Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
An RB Newbie question.
Ive had RB for as long as I've had BB (years!!) and I'm finally going to try and use it as a DAW.
However, I fell jumping over the first fence. I have an arrangement which is on 2 BB SGUs. All the tracks will ultimately run together but there are are chord and timing variations between the 2.
If I open one SGU in RB it loads fine but it wont accept my second one. It looks like i have to make those tracks wave files and import one by one. Which is a bummer cos I'll lose the ability to re-gen those tracks.
Is there a workaround please?
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
RealBand
Expert
Expert
Hi Sixchannel,

being an RB newbie myself I'm not quite sure wether I should dare to post my first suggstion, but I'd love to help others for a change...

If I get you right, it depends on whaf your BIAB files consist of: If they're RealTracks, they're already audio wave files and you can't really change them anyway.

If they're not, you might export your BIAB files to single MIDI tracks which can then be imported one by one into RB where you still can edit them.

Hope I didn't misundersfand your issue.

Crossroads

PS: I love your 'old guys rule' (especially because I daily experience it to be true...)

RealBand
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
I have checked the following, and added a .mgu to the end of an existing .sgu by using the File > Import command. As my two files were different songs I was advised that I had to accept one set of Chord symbols only. The data did contain Realdrums.

Have a go.

LynB

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
HI
Yes - the SGUs tracks are ALL RTs (which are wma's). Within RB though I can re-gen just a section of those RTs for example where a section isnt quite what I wanted and it can re-gen that part over and over until I hit a bit I like.
Lyn - thats where the problem lies. I hadnt thought it through. Although the SGUs are for the same song, the other SGU has some different tracks and more importantly some chord changes. Sounds odd but they WILL work together once combined. RB cant cope with two sets of chord instructions.
I think my Workaround will be to run "SGU1" with all the tracks that I am NOT happy with and D&D to RB. Then I can mess with the tracks in RB. "SGU2" I will be the Frozen tracks that I am happy with and do not need to be re-genned and import those as wav tracks into RB.
Regards and thanks for the info
IAn

Videos-
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Export all tracks to wav files, load the second sgu, then import the wav files onto the next section of empty tracks one at a time. Not LOAD, Not OPEN, but IMPORT.

Last edited by eddie1261; 02/13/16 08:06 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
An RB Newbie question.
Ive had RB for as long as I've had BB (years!!) and I'm finally going to try and use it as a DAW.
However, I fell jumping over the first fence. I have an arrangement which is on 2 BB SGUs. All the tracks will ultimately run together but there are are chord and timing variations between the 2.
If I open one SGU in RB it loads fine but it wont accept my second one. It looks like i have to make those tracks wave files and import one by one. Which is a bummer cos I'll lose the ability to re-gen those tracks.
Is there a workaround please?
Ian

Well if you know the names of the realtracks, and intend to re-generate them anywyays, why don't you just repick them and re-generate them from within RB?

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 02/14/16 04:55 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
That's what I thought too ^
Also,
In RB you can easily change the chord chart to generate certain tracks or section of tracks without affecting others.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So basically you are saying that provided the tracks that are good in SGU1 have been Frozen, I then can add the new RTs I want and change the chords / timing within RB, re-gen them (ad nauseum probably!) and it wont affect the original tracks at all?
Ian

Videos-
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Yes! That's one of the biggest abilities of RB that nobody seems to get.

RB does NOT regen all tracks like Biab does unless you treat RB like it is Biab and why would you do that? You already have Biab if that's what you want.

RB is a DAW. Each track stands on it's own. Each track can have it's own chord grid if you want including drums. You can create several different drum tracks for example using different styles and different part markers in the chord grid. What does that do? Gives you control over placement of different drum fills that are taken from different RD sets. Then you can either use the nodes to automate volume on the different tracks for mixing or cut and paste sections of different tracks to make one good one.

It amazes me how many folks on this forum simply have no idea about any of this. They think RB is just another version of Biab and therefore use it like another version of Biab.

The confusing part is it can used like Biab if that's what the user wants but it certainly doesn't HAVE TO act like Biab. That's under your control. Part of it is when someone opens up a Biab file in RB and that makes the first bunch of tracks blue Biab tracks. The first thing you want to do in that case is check the box that says "Make all Biab tracks regular tracks" and then DO NOT check the box that says "Regenerate all tracks".

Now you've taken RB back to it's DAW roots. Remember a DAW is designed to replicate what happens in a studio. Everything goes on it's own track and is handled individually. Think of it. What does recording a new part in the studio have to do with changing other tracks that have already been laid down? Absolutely nothing.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Ian,
You can not only do that, but you can highlight a section of one track, and generate/regen as many times as you like, and better yet is a feature called Multiriff where you can generate 8 variation of the same section at once to pick through (as long as you have 8 blank tracks of the 48 available) ..
or highlight a section for all tracks, change the chords and generate just that section on all tracks.
There is a ton more flexibility in RB.

As Jazzmammal mentioned, I also change the BB tracks to regular tracks right away for more control.
Then (important) Save As a seq file format, so you don't lose your work. If you click Save it'll save it as a BB file (if you opened a BB file). So make sure to save as a SEQ file and RB will take it from there.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Originally Posted By: sixchannel
....I have an arrangement which is on 2 BB SGUs. All the tracks will ultimately run together but there are are chord and timing variations between the 2.
......]Is there a workaround please?
Ian

Well if you know the names of the realtracks, and intend to re-generate them anywyays, why don't you just repick them and re-generate them from within RB?

Musiclover

BEST ANSWER award goes to Musiclover!

Yes, just go into one of them.... get the real track, track numbers, write them down.... close that SGU and open the next one.... go to the unused audio tracks and select GENERATE REAL TRACK and enter that track number. DO that for all the tracks.

Use a SAVE AS function after you add the last one and use a different name for this new project.

That will eliminate the
Quote:
Chord and Timing variations between the 2
that you mentioned as well as seamlessly blending the 2 different SGU files into one.

All problems you mentioned are solved with this solution.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 02/16/16 03:25 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
RealBand
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
The first thing you want to do in that case is check the box that says "Make all Biab tracks regular tracks"

Thanks for the tips Bob.

If anyone is having as much trouble as I did finding this menu option (on Windows 2015 anyway) it is under "Edit->Track->Make All BB tracks regular tracks" it isn't a checkbox.

As far as the Generate All option your would have to select it from the Generate menu. There isn't a checkbox.

Cheers,
Tim

Band-in-a-Box PlusPAK Upgrade (2018) on Windows 10
Live instruments: Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Fender Mustang III v2.
RealBand
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Yes! That's one of the biggest abilities of RB that nobody seems to get.

RB does NOT regen all tracks like Biab does unless you treat RB like it is Biab and why would you do that? You already have Biab if that's what you want.

RB is a DAW. Each track stands on it's own. Each track can have it's own chord grid if you want including drums. You can create several different drum tracks for example using different styles and different part markers in the chord grid. What does that do? Gives you control over placement of different drum fills that are taken from different RD sets. Then you can either use the nodes to automate volume on the different tracks for mixing or cut and paste sections of different tracks to make one good one.

It amazes me how many folks on this forum simply have no idea about any of this. They think RB is just another version of Biab and therefore use it like another version of Biab.

Bob

Can explain how this is done? Is there a video explaining this? I would love to know how to do this! (each track having it's own chord grid)

RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
>>>"Can explain how this is done? Is there a video explaining this? I would love to know how to do this! (each track having it's own chord grid)"<<<

Simple Explanation:

Open first sgu file in RB
Save file as RB seq
Generate RB tracks with instruments you want to follow the sgu 1 chord chart.

Open your second sgu file in BB so you can note the differences between sgu 1 chords and sgu 2 chord chart. (This is for reference, changes are made in RB)

In the chord chart of RB, make the changes in the chord chart so the RB chord chart matches the chord chart of sgu 2.

Select and generate the Realtracks that you want to respond to the sgu 2 chord chart. Do not use the generate all function, because it will of course Generate All which will alter the audio files that were previously generated to the sgu 1 chord chart. To avoid this, select and generate these either one at a time or you can also select multiple tracks (which would be the instruments you want to follow the sgu2 chord chart.)

You can easily continue to build as many tracks as you want by repeating the above process.

Your RB song now has some tracks that follow the sgu 1 chords and additional tracks that follow squ 2 chords.

It's not as hard as it appears and an easy and simple way to practice before you are working on a actual project is to write a simple chord chart in a new RB project. Select and generate a track that follows that first chord chart. Once that track has generated, make any change you want to the chord chart, select and generate a second audio/midi track and it will generate a track that follows the changes you made. Doing this will let you see exactly how RB responds to your changes.

All that to say that in RB create or import a chord chart, generate the tracks that will follow that particular chord chart.

After generating the tracks, make whatever changes or additions you want to the chord chart.

Select and generate new instruments that follow the altered chord chart. Each track now has its own chord grid.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199