Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
mad
It used to be, when I selected "Print song-chords and melody," I could get a nice lead sheet that any instrument could read.

Now what it gives me is something entirely useless. It puts a bunch of chords all over the melody line.

The top note of the chord does not even correspond with the melody note I originally had. So NO ONE can make use of it any longer.

Why would a tenor sax, vocalist or trumpet player want this ?
Its just a confused MESS.........

Furthermore, some of the chord notes are WRONG - they don't match the chord that I used.

Maybe you have good programmers there - but how about getting people that know something about music ?

Is there any way to get a regular lead sheet like we had before ?

Wm. S. Sinclair
Veteran
Veteran
Your post is puzzling. I haven't experienced any change in the ability of BIAB to print lead sheets.

Would it be possible for you to post some screen shots of your song, or post the song itself, and then post a JPG of what your lead sheet looks like so we could see what you are talking about?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Working perfectly here.

What version of BiaB?

What happens if you select Print Notation form the Notation window? Is that also problematic?

Re:
Originally Posted By: BillSincl
Maybe you have good programmers there - but how about getting people that know something about music ?

I actually have to presume that the programmers know a good bit about music. wink

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
Expert
I am having problems making any kind of a lead sheet myself using either the Print Notation button or the Leadsheet Window. The problem only occurred since taking the last update 432.

After making the entries for the type of lead sheet you need, when you press the OK 'Preview Graphics button', the program freezes and you get an Access Violation 007AB4B6 in module 'bbw-exe'. Next you get a crash report to fill in for support - which I did twice. Even though the program has crashed it is almost impossible to get rid of the crash advice notes and start again. One has to resort to CTRL ALT DEL to get out.

There is something terribly wrong here and without the ability to produce lead sheet, Band-in-a-Box is useless to me.

I can appreciate the OP frustration at not being able to produce lead sheets and would suggest that part of his problem may be that he has not killed off that new feature of putting lyrics on the chord sheet. It took me a lot of effort to remove those popup notes from my normal work pattern and get back to using the program for the purposes I always have - with NOTE lyrics! If you can find the menu items - sorry, but that's another frustration. The current menus do not make any sense to me with multi layers that require many extra clicks to achieve something that was very straightforward before.

For reference, I use Audiophile version with Build 432 on an external Hard Drive on a Windows 7 computer.

Grah Jive Talk
"Don't worry baby, they'll swing their arses off."
Veteran
Veteran
The printing process works ok for me (Win 7, 64 bit).

I suggest trying the following...

1. Return to factory settings and restart BIAB for the settings to load.

2. If the problem persists, download update 431 (from here) and install it. This will take BIAB back to the previous update (which I'm assuming was working).

This way, you shouldn't be disadvantaged in relation to printing music while PG Music tweak build 432.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
I dont see any way to attach a file.

How is that done ?

I am using BIAB 2014.

I dont understand why anyone who says they know music,
Would ever give us something so DUMB.

Last edited by BillSincl; 03/02/16 03:00 AM.

Wm. S. Sinclair
Journeyman
Journeyman
Switch to Full Reply Screen, at the bottom is File Manager.

DE

Win 10, 64 bit, love my Lenovo T420, BIAB 2019 (613), RB 2019 (2)

Short term memory is getting shorter.
Veteran
Veteran
Bill, I do not doubt you are having a problem. I hope you can provide us with specifics. The difficulty we may have is that everyone else in this thread has upgraded to version 2016, so we will have a difficult time verifying your problem even when we get to understand it clearly. May I suggest you contact PG Music Support, who do have a version 2014 (and tell them which build you are on - Help, About).

For what it's worth, my experience as a music prof and a pro musician for well over 50 years is that PG Music does indeed have an excellent grasp of music theory.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
You said you are using version 2014 and that it used to work. So what changed? Did you apply a patch to the working version (hopefully not the build 432 patch, as that is specifically for BIAB 2016)? Or perhaps a Windows update messed with it. Which version of Windows are you using? It's weird that it was working but stopped working, especially if nothing changed with the program.

As has been said, if you switch to the Full Reply Screen, you can post JPG images of what you are seeing. You will not be able to upload an SGU or MGU file, however. For that, you'll need to upload it to something like DropBox, and then post a link to the file.

I don't know if I can get to it today, but I think I still have 2014 loaded in a virtual machine, so I can take a look at it (and if you can post the file giving you problems, that will help).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
I cannot do a "full reply,: my only choice is "reply."

BTW, is there a way to select a more friendly password?

If you have an E-mail, I can send you a a file of the
crappy lead sheet I keep getting.

Wm. S. Sinclair
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
Ok, here is what it produces -

It messes up the melody, since the melody is buried inside these big fat chords.

In my 50 years in the music biz, I have never seen anything that looks like this - -

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Sanova Beach.JPG (106.52 KB, 108 downloads)
Screwed up lead sheet

Wm. S. Sinclair
B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
It also destroyed the rhythm of the melody, because it put a new melody (chord) every time there was a new chord.

And someone asserts that the programmers know something about music? Really ?

Wm. S. Sinclair
Veteran
Veteran
I agree, upon printing a large-sized version of this printout, that there are several musical theory errors here, but it's so hard to see that I'm not completely sure. Now, how did you create this? Could you give the exact steps you followed in BIAB to create this leadsheet? I ask because I've never seen anything that looked like this. Was this a song you created in BIAB, or perhaps an imported file from elsewhere?

B
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
B
I think I got this resolved.

Apparently the MIDI file I used to insert the melody got corrupted.

So even though it was set to "single track," it still allows other stuff to get stuck in there without warning us.

Thanks for your attention ! !

Last edited by BillSincl; 03/02/16 09:49 AM.

Wm. S. Sinclair
Veteran
Veteran
That's great. Perhaps you could edit the subject heading to say "Solved"? Other people do look at these forums, and the musical ability of PG Music staff was never an issue here.

Expert
Expert
Thanks for your suggestions Noel.

I tried your suggestion '1.' and the program still crashed when trying to Preview or Print a lead sheet, either with the Print notation button or the Leadsheet window button.

When I tried your suggestion '2.' and went back to the previous update 431 everything returned to normal and I am back in production.

My conclusion is that there is something radically wrong with the print function as far a lead sheets are concerned when it comes to my setup, which is the same as yours as far as the basics are concerned - Win 7, 64 bit.

I guess the lesson learned is not to take new Updates until the bugs have been discovered. I am just a bit surprised that nobody else has encountered my problem.

Grah Jive Talk
Veteran
Veteran
Glad to read it's working Graham. One of the great things about BIAB updates is that it's very simple to return to the previous update if needed.

Updates are beta tested and when they are released into the public arena they've gone through many tests and many people. Given the tens of thousands of possibilities for computer configuration (operating system, CPU, hardware, firmware, etc.), I can't see how it would be possible for beta testing to cover every possible set up situation that BIAB might be exposed to. For this reason, when an update is released, it enters the phase of gamma testing (at least that's what I think of it as). This is the last hurdle and the most demanding testing. Thousands of people will put the software build through it's paces.

That #432 didn't work properly for you is valuable information for PG Music. Your experience will help refine the software even more smile

I encourage you to keep on trying updates when they're first released and, if they don't work properly, simply revert to the previous build after letting PG Music know about the problem.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
That's great. Perhaps you could edit the subject heading to say "Solved"? Other people do look at these forums, and the musical ability of PG Music staff was never an issue here.

I sympathise with Bill. It's very frustrating when things don't go according to plan. I hope he can appreciate that it's often very challenging to solve a problem like his when not all the details are supplied. Had he said at the outset that it involved a third-party midi file (alarm bells are already ringing) and BIAB 2014, I suspect that he may have achieved resolution much, much earlier.

It reminds me of the saying "The devil is in the detail".

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Glad to read it's working Graham. One of the great things about BIAB updates is that it's very simple to return to the previous update if needed. smile

I encourage you to keep on trying updates when they're first released and, if they don't work properly, simply revert to the previous build after letting PG Music know about the problem.

All the best,
Noel

After 15 years of using Band-in-a-Box you might find it surprising that I did not know that! blush But I don't think I have experienced such a bad result from an update previously. It was such a relief to get it back working properly in my primary area of use i.e. Lead sheets and arrangements in all keys and clefs for the musos in the band.

Grah Jive Talk
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Graham, We've spotted that error, and it will be fixed in the next build. For now, you should open the leadsheet window first, and then print.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,626
Posts735,221
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
SYOTR, Steve Smith, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh
38,522 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185