Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
U
OP Offline
U
I'm sure most of us would be aware of the development that iTunes Radio doesn't come FREE of cost anymore. I do understand that making music isn't cheap, but I'm not going to listen to a radio station that chooses what songs I can listen to. What is your honest opinion? Is it actually worth it?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Undertaker
Welcome to the forums
I don't use iTunes. But there are other service providers that give you a huge variety of streaming content, and let you select what you want to listen to for a very reasonable investment. Google play is one of them, but there are many more. (Maybe Google Play is an Android only thing?)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I would pay $19.99 a month for it. You have access to the entire iTunes downloadable catalog of 35,000,000 songs to play on demand. You have the radio channels and the opportunity to create your own stations and fine tune them. Everyday you have access to For You playlists curated by humans and they are great. We stream it at home and in both vehicles -- all the time.

30 cents a day.

Bud

Off-Topic
U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
I would pay $19.99 a month for it. You have access to the entire iTunes downloadable catalog of 35,000,000 songs to play on demand. You have the radio channels and the opportunity to create your own stations and fine tune them. Everyday you have access to For You playlists curated by humans and they are great. We stream it at home and in both vehicles -- all the time.

30 cents a day.

Bud

That's true. But I really doubt whether it's actually $19.99? My problem is not about the money, but the fact that I would not have the freedom to choose what I can listen to. Don't you agree?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Undertaker
... You have access to the entire iTunes downloadable catalog of 35,000,000 songs to play on demand.
30 cents a day. ...

Bud

That's true ... My problem is not about the money, but the fact that I would not have the freedom to choose what I can listen to. Don't you agree?

I don't understand your intent here.
One member assists you with a reply that mentions "You have access to the entire iTunes downloadable catalog of 35,000,000 songs to play on demand." and you state "My problem is not about the money, but the fact that I would not have the freedom to choose what I can listen to."

Obviously you want to listen to something far more esoteric.
My advice, forget iTunes, just go and buy the LP.
Case closed.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
For a time I was using Pandora. You can set up "radio stations" based on a given artist or a song. The rotation of songs would favor that artist or that song style. It wasn't all that bad and I got to hear lots of songs that I hadn't heard in years.

At some point, they stopped using the video advertisements and started using audio adverts just like a terrestrial radio station... you could buy the plan and the commercials would go away.

Between the data it used and my daughter burning through the shared data..... we were running low on data with several days still remaining in that billing cycle. I eventually stopped listening

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
First as mentioned your choice is not just iTunes radio. There are now several streaming content providers and they provide more than just a pre-programmed radio station. My provider allows me to download in a compressed format to my phone any song in their library. That means no data streaming when traveling which for me is a great benefit and it still sounds great.

The question of is it worth it is easy to answer. If I had to pay for every album or single I currently have access too in my library it would cost me a ridiculous amount of money not to mention I would have to rip, compress and file all that music. That alone is worth it.

However there is another reason and perhaps the most important. Copy right protection for the artist. By paying a monthly fee to a streaming content provider you are allowing them to pay royalties to the artist or whoever owns the rights to the music. The royalties received by the artist are negotiated between the artists and provider and can range from royalty for each time the song is played to just a flat one time royalty. The bottom line is that it is good for the artist.

This is the new model the music industry is adopting and it makes sense. It's reasonably valued maybe even undervalued depending on ones consumption and it's fair. I love my service and what it provides. I have a library of music that I could never dream of having growing up.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
...That's true. But I really doubt whether it's actually $19.99? My problem is not about the money, but the fact that I would not have the freedom to choose what I can listen to. Don't you agree?

Uhhh no.

Clarifications:

- when I said Apple Music was worth $19.99 a month my point was that I would pay ten bucks a month MORE than the asking price and still be satisfied.

- some folks don't seem to realize that you can permanently download any iTunes album or single to your mobile device or computer and play them from it if you choose not to stream. The only caveat is that you cannot burn them to CD.

- we have no data issues with streaming audio. We stream daily and it hardly makes a dent in our AT&T small shared 5meg monthly plan. Video eats up the data not audio. We love streaming. If we are listening to an album or playlist on our living room audio system streaming from my iPhone and then leave...the music picks up in the vehicle right where where we left it. Same thing when we are mountain biking.

- the curated playlists and stations on iTunes are IMO far superior to pandora. And if like us you have a large iTunes library (we have 9K+ songs) then the stations and playlists are able to base their songs on the usual variables plus what you have listened to and purchased over the years. Their ability to find an artist whom you are not familiar with but will like is uncanny.

All of those features including owning every freakin' thing in the iTunes audio store is $9.99 a month. And yes they pay the artists more than the other streaming entities.

Again 30 cents a day for folks like us who love and listen to music all the time it's a heckuva deal. Reckon I'm just a 70 year ole phart trying to live out on the digital cusp smile

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have an old version of ITunes on my computer 10.6.3 and radio seems to play ok without asking for any subscription, though does ask me to upgrade which I declined.

Maybe its a location thing and hasn't reached here yet.

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover
I have an old version of ITunes on my computer 10.6.3 and radio seems to play ok without asking for any subscription, though does ask me to upgrade which I declined.

Maybe its a location thing and hasn't reached here yet.

Musiclover

Although the original poster said iTunes radio I assumed he was talking about the radio section of Apple Music that was released last fall...but I could be wrong. Apple Music gives you radio stations, for you lists and the ability to play music from your personal iTunes collection or from anything in the iTunes store. It is built into the IOS release for mobile devices since last fall and runs under iTunes 12.2.3 on my Mac so it would appear that you would have to update in order to access it.

Bud

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The only caveat is that you cannot burn them to CD.

Hey Bud, I burn all my iTunes downloads to CD to archive them. Just create a playlist folder, put your songs in, and right-click to choose, "Burn to CD".

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta
The only caveat is that you cannot burn them to CD.

Hey Bud, I burn all my iTunes downloads to CD to archive them. Just create a playlist folder, put your songs in, and right-click to choose, "Burn to CD".

Yes, you can burn iTune purchases to CDs but not downloads obtained via the Apple Music monthly subscription. You can physically download them to any one of your devices. They'd never make a dime if you could give away anything in the store for a few bucks a month. It's two confusing and different paradigms.

Bud

Off-Topic
U
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
... You have access to the entire iTunes downloadable catalog of 35,000,000 songs to play on demand.
30 cents a day. ...

Bud

That's true ... My problem is not about the money, but the fact that I would not have the freedom to choose what I can listen to. Don't you agree?

I don't understand your intent here.
One member assists you with a reply that mentions "You have access to the entire iTunes downloadable catalog of 35,000,000 songs to play on demand." and you state "My problem is not about the money, but the fact that I would not have the freedom to choose what I can listen to."

Obviously you want to listen to something far more esoteric.
My advice, forget iTunes, just go and buy the LP.
Case closed.

Oops. My intention was not to belittle anyone's opinion. I use a Mac and hence iTunes is definitely my best option. I was just looking for cheaper options, if any. Peace out. smile

Off-Topic
U
OP Offline
U
...That's true. But I really doubt whether it's actually $19.99? My problem is not about the money, but the fact that I would not have the freedom to choose what I can listen to. Don't you agree?

Uhhh no.

Clarifications:

- when I said Apple Music was worth $19.99 a month my point was that I would pay ten bucks a month MORE than the asking price and still be satisfied.

- some folks don't seem to realize that you can permanently download any iTunes album or single to your mobile device or computer and play them from it if you choose not to stream. The only caveat is that you cannot burn them to CD.

- we have no data issues with streaming audio. We stream daily and it hardly makes a dent in our AT&T small shared 5meg monthly plan. Video eats up the data not audio. We love streaming. If we are listening to an album or playlist on our living room audio system streaming from my iPhone and then leave...the music picks up in the vehicle right where where we left it. Same thing when we are mountain biking.

- the curated playlists and stations on iTunes are IMO far superior to pandora. And if like us you have a large iTunes library (we have 9K+ songs) then the stations and playlists are able to base their songs on the usual variables plus what you have listened to and purchased over the years. Their ability to find an artist whom you are not familiar with but will like is uncanny.

All of those features including owning every freakin' thing in the iTunes audio store is $9.99 a month. And yes they pay the artists more than the other streaming entities.

Again 30 cents a day for folks like us who love and listen to music all the time it's a heckuva deal. Reckon I'm just a 70 year ole phart trying to live out on the digital cusp smile

Bud

Hey Bud,

Thanks for detailing it out. 30 cents a day isn't too much and Pandora is negligible in front of iTunes directory. It's just that I was disappointed with the fact that I would have to pay for something I've been using for FREE. laugh

Off-Topic
U
OP Offline
U

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, I occasionally use iHeart Radio from the phone to the car stereo.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ditto, I use iHeart Radio a lot on walks, in car, at home - plus I can get political talk I prefer as WELL as music, and now with Amazon Prime I get a lot of "free" music.

Besides, I wouldn't, and HAVE NOT, given Apple "Co" a penny, knowingly at least, since the first and last Apple product (the Apple II) I bought in the mid-late 70's (~77 or 78).

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
U
OP Offline
U
True. iHeart Radio is cool, used it yesterday.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl

Besides, I wouldn't, and HAVE NOT, given Apple "Co" a penny, knowingly at least, since the first and last Apple product (the Apple II) I bought in the mid-late 70's (~77 or 78).

Larry

Sounds like me with Apple AND Sony .. <grin>

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,622
Posts735,187
Members38,519
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61, TonyInManchester
38,519 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185