Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My old Roland MT-32 synth comes tuned at 442Hz. If I want to use it with my other synths, I have to manually re-tune it to 440Hz.

Sometimes I just leave it at 442 and it really doesn't seem to make a difference.

I don't know if I can hear the difference, after all, it isn't even 1%.

We use equal temperament so our instruments a not really in tune with themselves anyway.

I do know that orchestras tune up to whatever the oboe is tuned to though.

So if the orchestra (and the oboe) is tuned to 440Hz and the piano playing the concerto is not (445Hz), is it going to cause a problem? Can anyone really hear the difference?

I also know that sometimes when making a backing track, I'll detune the highest horns in the brass section a but sharp to make them sound brighter (it's like stretch tuning a piano). But are they sounding brighter because of their native frequency, or because they are a tiny bit higher than the rest of the band?

I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud here.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Most people cannot hear a difference of less than 6 cents.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I came across this article today and found it very interesting.... Maybe all we need is a bit "deeper" understunding of the whole subject?;

Recreating Balance

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2014
How to easily convert any music to 432hz and why
"If you want to understand the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration"
Nikola Tesla

What do these words mean ?
A vibration is a movement up and down :

A frequency is the number of movements up and down per second, called hertz.
Energy is the ability to move, it is what fuels the movement up and down.

Sound is created by this motion up and down, when our vocal strings vibrate or when the wings of an insect go up and down, it creates a sound. A guitar tuned to 432hz means that when one of its string is plucked it will go up and down 432 times per second. Since frequencies spread in their environment, the body of the guitar will start to vibrate along with this frequency, and so will the surroundings of the guitar, including people.
This is a powerful force, see how a voice can shatter glass.
Many studies have proven the effects of music on our physical, mental and emotional health.

There are several aspects in music : the emotional and mental energy in it, the intention behind it, and the physics of it : its frequency, geometry, etc.
Positive intentions, emotions and thoughts in music can provide healing regardless of its physics, but proper physics can take the healing to a whole other level.

The 432hz tuning means that the middle A note will have that frequency. Then all the other notes will tune accordingly on different frequencies along the scale. So 432hz is just a reference point.
If you watch any orchestra or band, they will always tune together to the exact same reference point frequency. If even just one instrument is out of tune with the others, the whole thing will sound off.

Jamie Burtuff explains that European music before the early 50s, ancient Egyptian music, traditionally made Tibetan bowls and digeridoos, sitar Indian music, and many others, have been tuned to 432hz. I have also measured sounds of Wolves, Whales and Dolphins singing and some Amazonian shamans and they were all using these frequencies.

Around the second world war, the cabal studied which tuning would be the most harmful for humans, and as a result imposed the 440hz tuning via Goebbels (who thought it was the best for war marches), and JC Deagan. Musicians at the time protested against it but it was pushed through anyway. Almost all music has been tuned to that since then.

Since the new age movement, there has also been another tuning circulating called solfeggio, based on a middle C note of 528hz. This corresponds to a middle A of 444hz.
Although the numbers used for these frequencies do correspond to geometrical patterns found in nature, it appears they do not correspond to frequencies : as you can see in this video at the 6min6 mark, these frequencies are not harmonious between themselves, which means that it is not possible to play any music with them. So when you listen to music made with these frequencies, there can only be one note that will be part of this solfeggio frequency scale, and the rest of the music will not be part of it, which raises questions about its validity.

John Stuart Reid has shown the shape created by 432hz with cymatics (the science of making sound visible by vibrating water or other types of particles) :

It encompasses the shape in the center of a tri Vescia Pisces :

This is the basis of so much universal geometry, if not all. This is where the flower of life pattern is born, from which all platonic solids can be derived among other things :

This means that, as the cymatics show, 432hz will create this geometry in physical matter, which include our own bodies.

A very professional 28 pages scientific study has been published showing clear reducing of inflammation, stress levels and other symptoms by listening to 432hz music in Pythagorean tuning only three times, for 35min each time, in a period of 7 days. You can read the whole study here :

http://fr.scribd.com/doc/202351974/Spiritual-Results-

(Note : The Pythagorean tuning (also called just intonation), is a separate, independant and complementary aspect than the 432hz aspect. The 432hz is the reference point, and the Pythagorean aspect is the space between the different notes in the scale. Click here to learn about it)

Scott Onstott in Secrets in Plain Sight has shown how our measurement systems such as miles and meters are not random but correspond to natural distances found in nature. Therefore they resonate with sacred geometry.
In music, the same note on higher and lower octaves is found by dividing or multiplying the frequency by two.
Scott Onstott also showed that the number 432 and its octaves are found frequently in measurements of space and time throughout our galaxy, for example in the dimensions of our Sun (432 000 x 2 = 864 000 miles diameter) and Moon (4320 ÷ 2 = 2160 miles diameter), and in the 25920 years of the galactic cyle/procession of the equinox : 432 x 60, 60 being at the basis of how we measure time. This seems to me to be the basis for the music of the sphere. Additionally the speed of light is 432 x 432 miles per second, there is 43200 x 2 seconds in a day, and our solar system is travelling inside the galaxy 43200 miles per hour. (More info about this here)

Everything in creation, all matter is in a state of vibration. 432hz is in tune with the frequency of nature throughout the cosmos. If humans are out of tune with it, it creates discomfort. Listening to music in 432hz helps us realign with our environment and the natural geometric patterns of the universe, promoting well-being physically, mentally and emotionally.

Here's a song from my 432hz and 'music of the sphere' sound healing CD :

Click here to learn and hear more from it

Now, here is how to convert any music from 440hz to 432hz

(Note : This protocol is to convert music from 440hz to 432hz. If the music was originally made in 432hz then using this protocol will make it out of tune. Almost all music nowadays is in 440hz, except a lot (but not all) of Indian traditional music which is still made in 432hz, as well as some traditional Tibetan or didgeridoo music, and a few other isolated cases.)

Download the free software Audacity here
Then download this little plug-in here in order to be able to save files in mp3

First we need to create a protocol, and then you will be able to apply it quickly and easily to any file or group of files.
Open Audacity, click on the 'File' tab on the top left corner, then 'Edit chains', and then 'Add' on the bottom left corner.
Enter the name you want for the protocol, for example 432, then click on insert. Then double click on 'TimeScale', and then edit parameters.
Then type -1.818 in both (%) boxes and click Ok :

Then click ok again, then click on insert, and double click on 'Exportmp3', and click Ok.

That's it ! Click ok to leave this box, and now anytime you want to convert a file, click on 'File', 'Apply chain', select the 432 protocol, and click on 'Apply to files', select the music files you want to convert and it will be done automatically. You can select as many files as you want and the converted files will be placed in a new folder named 'cleaned', inside the folder where the original file was.

And here's a video tutorial if you need help

You can also use certain music players for computer and phones which will play your music in 432hz automatically without needing to convert the files. However the files will not be converted so if you play them anywhere outside of these players, for example if you upload them on a website or on another device or physical CD, they will be in 440 again. They are still good alternatives as they will automatically play any 440hz tune in 432hz without requiring any work from you.

Last edited by Trygve Larsen; 03/24/16 10:51 PM.

Forever Grateful, BUT, sometimes pissed of. wink
Trygve "Leo" Larsen
BiaB 2020, Windows 8.1, Intel Core i5 CPU, 270GHz, 32 Gb RAM
My OLD tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen My NEW is unpublished
The Universe = Uni-verse ie one song.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I'm missing the links in your post (click here), except one.

There are many reasons why we use the tuning that we have now. And I don't believe music will sound the same when one plays it based on the 432 Hz reference point versus the 440 Hz reference point.

If that 432 Hz frequency is that natural -- I don't have neither knowledge nor means to prove it -- I suspect my guitar should sound different when recorded while played tuned to the 432 Hz based scale compared to a recording that was played tuned to the 440 Hz based scale and then the recording would be electronically tuned to the 432 Hz based scale.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Trygve,

An interesting article.

Here's an article on concert pitch that you might also find interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concert_pitch

In relation to the above figures in your post...

• Light travels as 186,000 mi/sec and 432 squared is 186,624. The values are of the same order but disagreeing by 624.
  • The sun's mean diameter is 864,938 miles.
  • The moon's diameter is 2,195 miles

It seems like the article's author has bent the figures a little to suit his argument. He is correct with his statement about a 24 hour day.

Here in Australia, we work in kilometres and that means all values quoted will be quite different.

Lastly, I wonder which mile the writer is using as his reference? There are many possibilities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Since we use equal temperament, I wonder if it even matters?

If middle A is tuned to 432Hz, then most of the other notes are still off.

Just thinking out loud here.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Quote:
A vibration is a movement up and down

Up and down? !!! Heck, whatever does that mean?

Quote:
It seems like the article's author has bent the figures a little to suit his argument.

Good story tellers can put words together to create any amount of credibly sounding scientific argument, and challenging conventions with separate unsubstantiated beliefs.

Thanks for pulling things back into line a bit Noel. I'm not re-tuning my piano for anyone.

(PS: And certainly no disrespect to you Leo for bringing this to the discussion, only questioning the original 432 author.)
Trev

Last edited by VideoTrack; 03/25/16 03:16 AM.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Quote:
A vibration is a movement up and down

Up and down? !!! Heck, whatever does that mean?

It means that a vibration is a movement that doesn't know where it wants to go.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
I guess that would make my hi pitch 1889 Bari Sax even more obsolete.

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: GHinCH
I'm missing the links in your post (click here), except one.

There are many reasons why we use the tuning that we have now. And I don't believe music will sound the same when one plays it based on the 432 Hz reference point versus the 440 Hz reference point.

If that 432 Hz frequency is that natural -- I don't have neither knowledge nor means to prove it -- I suspect my guitar should sound different when recorded while played tuned to the 432 Hz based scale compared to a recording that was played tuned to the 440 Hz based scale and then the recording would be electronically tuned to the 432 Hz based scale.

Yeah, sorry for that, forgot to put in the link at the end.. But here it is... http://recreatingbalance1.blogspot.com/2014/09/how-to-easily-convert-any-music-to.html

Forever Grateful, BUT, sometimes pissed of. wink
Trygve "Leo" Larsen
BiaB 2020, Windows 8.1, Intel Core i5 CPU, 270GHz, 32 Gb RAM
My OLD tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen My NEW is unpublished
The Universe = Uni-verse ie one song.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195