Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
I'm on a roll, why stop now.

I might as well tap everybody for their soft-synth experience.

And why stop there - same question for hardware synthesizers.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Joe your question is too open ended. Need to narrow it down some. There are thousands of pay for VSTi.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joe, your question didn't mention General Midi so I'm assuming you're just asking about the overall sound quality. You also didn't mention budget so I'm listing what most people with good home studios have or wish they had or are planning to get.

I don't have any expensive software libraries but I do have a bunch of them for SampleTank 2. They sound pretty decent but ST 3 is supposed to be a big improvement.

Otherwise I keep hearing about Kontakt for lots of bread and butter sounds but when it gets to the biggie, acoustic piano I keep hearing about the new Pianoteq and a few others like Alicia Keys and Ivory as plugins.

Hardware is where I'm really at, I have a Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Roland 760, Korg Pa1XPro.

Already the PC3 which was considered one of the best just a few years ago is surpassed by the new Kurz Artis. Also most keys players still say a Kronos is the absolute best as far as all the bread and butter sounds are concerned. None of the big name workstation keyboards have a B3 emulation that is close to the Hammond SK1, the Mojo or the Nord CD2.

Then there is the brand new Yamaha Montage that is getting a lot of press after NAMM. That or the Kronos keyboards will cost you $3-4,000 the others maybe a grand less.

I still read about how the best software libraries sound better than the best hardware for maybe half that cost but then you don't have the whole physical keyboard itself with all it's controls to use, you're stuck with a third party controller and your computer.

The best third party controllers like the Kawai K1 or Physis are about $1,800 by themselves. To me if you're going to spend that for a controller might as well get the Kronos. It's a great controller too and you have it's awesome sound engine. Non keys guys may not know but the Korg Kronos has SSD's on board for internal real time sample streaming and nine separate and discrete sound engines. It's a killer system for studio and stage use.

You asked about what's good. Good ain't cheap but it depends on how picky you are.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Rockstar - I'm a tinkerer that likes the best products to tinker with at usually a price under $500 - up to a grand for the higher priced stuff.

My personal musical preferences are rock and pop from the 70s through 90s - but I'd like to be able to play some more modern pop and rock (e.g. < 10 years old. Locked in my era, I especially love the fat analog sounds as well as the Pink Floyd psychedelic sounds - and I LOVE good horn sections.

Ideally - I'd like to be able to find a song I like - any era, and try recording it as close as possible to the mix I hear on a record, CD, or MP3 : )

I like downloading Karaoke CD3 files or MIDI files of old bands and playing along with them through BB - and would of course like to change the VST's to sound more like the records I like.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
If I need to get a certain job done and I need tools to accomplish that, I borrow, rent, or buy the tools.

Sometimes I have to swallow the bitter pill, sometimes life treats me good. If I ever need that certain bass, I'd buy Trillian, currently every bass I already have suffices to not buy Trillian.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joe, it's hard to tell someone how picky they are but it sounds like you know what you like and are trying to recreate it.

The big question is are you willing to manually assign the instruments to the tracks? I say that because most here prefer to use GM because it's brain dead simple.

If you prefer software tell is what you have now and what you think of it. Tell us what instruments sound good and which ones sound weak.

Otherwise check this out:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/

I hear lots of people raving about the Komplete 10 bundle. At $599 it's very affordable.

The next one is the new ST 3 here:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/totalstudiomax/

This total studio package is the same price. $499. Gee you think they check each other's websites out?

You haven't told us what system you have. These latest and greatest software packages all require a pretty robust system.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joe, it's hard to tell someone how picky they are but it sounds like you know what you like and are trying to recreate it.

The big question is are you willing to manually assign the instruments to the tracks? I say that because most here prefer to use GM because it's brain dead simple.

If you prefer software tell is what you have now and what you think of it. Tell us what instruments sound good and which ones sound weak.

Otherwise check this out:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/

I hear lots of people raving about the Komplete 10 bundle. At $499 it's very affordable. Of course where they get you is with the other libraries that everybody wants like Session Horns for another $300 or so.

The next one is the new ST 3 here:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/totalstudiomax/

This total studio package is the same price. $499. Gee you think they check each other's websites out? Same as above there are more separate libraries you can buy that ups the cost.

You haven't told us what system you have. These latest and greatest software packages all require a pretty robust system.

Bob

Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Thanks very much gentlemen, and I'm looking forward to Rocstar's opinions - I know there are thousands of VST's out there, but when people that frequent this website share their favorites - regardless of application, I know I'm learning about products that deliver : )

Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
I suppose I should have added - and what are your favorite freeware synths, along with your favorite sounds on those synths ?

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
For 70s era stuff then GSi are hard to beat for old school electromechanical keys. They have both freeware and pay ware as well as some hardware like the Burn Leslie simulator. I used the VB3 simulator on this one take per track quickie recording last month.
https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/straight-back-to-the-seventies
A proper B3 player could do much more with the VB3. The synth is the freeware mimimogue va

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Kontakt and the Komplete Suite

Garritan Personal Orchestra (GPO)

East West

Miroslav

Jamstix : intelligent drum synth

These are the ones I have spent money on

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/26/16 02:20 PM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I have Kontakt 5, but not Komplete. I had been using Kontakt for nearly everything, but over the years I've moved more toward hardware again instead of software. I can get better sounds from my yamaha and hammond on most things than I can from Kontakt or any other softsynth.

the exceptions continue to be brass. I have yet to find really good brass from a keyboard. strings...yeah, I'll still use softsynths sometimes. but for any kind of keyboard sounds (rhodes, clavs, wurl, etc) I'll use my yamaha moxf and for organ sounds, nothing beats my hammond xk-3c.

so really what I'm saying is...I started buying into the softsynth deal when I first started using recording software, but then I decided hardware was really the better way to go.

to each his own. Your Mileage may vary.

Last edited by Beagle; 03/28/16 05:04 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Beagle, so what have you settled on for brass?

My Kurzweil digital piano has some decent brass (trumpet and trombone, but the French horn isn't exactly right), but it's a pain to record from, since it's the "piano" in the living room.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey John,
Currently I use Kontakt for brass. Out of the keyboards I have (mostly yamaha and Casio) I don't have a Kurzweil, so I haven't had a chance to try it.

yeah, being in the living room would be a pain to record without a portable setup (or a LONG set of audio cables! laugh )

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
General rule of thumb is that where there is expression which changes the physics of the pitch source or timbre source, synthesis does not measure up to the task very well. This is why there are great syntheses of piano and electric piano and vibes and xylophone and harp and other pitched resonant instruments but not so much for brass and strings and voice where modulation of pitch and timbre is part of the regular sond of the instrument.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joe, for the 70's -90's music I have and suggest the following, however these VSTis can be used in any era and genre:

Kontakt - for the basics
There are a lot of patches you can buy for Kontakt, including Vintage organs , Vintage horns for funk and a ton of others

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/samplers/kontakt-5/

Korg M1 and Korg Wavestation - obviously for the Korg stuff
These contain all of the cards for both instruments

http://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_legacy_collection/

Fm8 - for the Yamaha stuff.
FM8 will read most all of the Yamaha synth patches, i.e DX7, TX 81z etc

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths/fm8/

Samplemodeling - for brass and woodwinds - best if used with wind controller or keyboard with either breath controller or expression pedal

http://www.samplemodeling.com/en/products.php

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joe, this thread can go on forever but since you started it it would be nice to fit our responses to your needs, not just general info about all the gazillions of synths out there.

Please tell us exactly what you're looking for, what you're using now and most importantly why you're not happy with it. It would be good to give us some song names too.

Oh, and your system specs.

Bob

Off-Topic
D
Apprentice
Apprentice
D
If you are interested primarily in playing realistic sounding instruments (wind, brass, and strings) using a keyboard, or a wind controller you should check out:

Look here for specific virtual instruments, pricing and most important of all, the audio demos for each instrument:
http://samplemodeling.com/en/products.php

Also look for other demo's in the forum here:
http://samplemodeling.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

Finally, you can check out my stuff too, with the link shown below.

Last edited by Dan Tong; 03/28/16 03:09 PM. Reason: added stuff
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195