Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi everyone.

I'm surprised that this thread has gone so far without anyone mentioning compressors.

I remember back in the 70s, mixing with the old guy who was my mentor and who taught me most of what I know about recording and who had mixed a fair few chart successes. The first thing he would do is to patch compressors into all the rhythm tracks. If you have too much dynamic range in your rhythm instruments then the tracks can combine in all sorts of horrible and unexpected ways, which will interfere with the vocal in exactly the way that CocoTex described. This technique gave rise to Malcolm's famous phrase - "When I put something in the mix, I want it to stay there". And generally it did! With the rhythm tracks tamed, mixing the backing track was a piece of cake and it left room for the vox and lead instruments to use dynamics to good effect without getting lost. Some years later, I was talking to one of the guys from the cutting room (mastering), who said that they rarely touched Malcolm's mixes - they just cut the copper master straight from the tape.

Don't get to thinking that the Realtracks don't need compressing - they are generally recorded without too much compression, in order to leave the choice up to the mixing engineer.

Finally, I'm not saying that automated envelopes aren't useful - they obviously are, but they aren't the full story.

Just trying to help with a few thoughts....

ROG.

Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks to all for the clarification. I just want to make sure I'm mixing my songs in a manner that gives me the best sound advantage. It's sort of like poaching eggs. You think you know what you're doing, until you see someone else do it. I take the information on these Forums seriously, and always listen with an expectation to learn something. Ha! It's a principle I wish I had adopted earlier in life. Thanks again for sharing.
-Carolyne

CocoTex Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Well...this outpouring has been amazing and helpful and a great sanity check.

As suggested, I did strip tracks off, starting with 2, and removed all bar and chord setting (many times, I'm always finding something here and there, and often the ending no longer plays correctly if I change much or certain things. I don't mean anything near the ending, but eventually I get it back on track).

Starting with 2 tracks and building is excellent, nod to DGA and others.

I've not even learned about compression yet, way over my head as it is. I did get 1 song the way I like it. I don't have formal music training, can't read it, so no note tweaks, just worked with what I had. I ran it thru LandR a couple of different ways, and the result was what I was looking for (just for Reverbnation, and perhaps later I'll use it to explain/show the studio/producer what I want in the song).

Here's something I could use help with, and I was able to accomplish this previously, but must have tweaked/set something up wrong. Let's say, for simplicity's sake.

I record 3 tracks on BIAB, guitar, drum, bass, get them where I like them, render to wav files, then I load the wav files on a separate digital recorder I use in my home studio, Zoom R16, which has worked great for me.

The 3 tracks play great on the Zoom, the settings from BIAB are generally preserved, the volume can be a little iffy for each, but the tempo is right on for them.

Then, using the Zoom, I'll record a vocal track (separate track, mono, 24 bit).

Zoom saves all files as wavs. I'll transfer the one vocal wav track back to BIAB, (File, Import audio wav etc files). I only do this so I can see if I'd like different/additional instrument tracks. This worked fine previously, but now the audio file loaded into BIAB is out of sync and the tempo is off.

To test, I loaded all 4 wav files (all 3 instrument wavs from BIAB, and the 1 vocal wav from the Zoom unit) directly into a couple DAWs and everything is in sync there.

Is there a fix for it in BIAB? Or can I correct something I've set improperly?

(I have rebooted and fully shut down all devices several times to see. Just in general, I do have to do this often with BIAB anyway for some reason, and the error at the time is missing once rebooted).

Also, while I'm begging for info, when I make a chord change, it is not recognized until I regenerate the entire song. Like if I just regenerate the piano, it will recognize the new chord, but the other non-regenerated instruments will not. I'm sure there's a better way to do this, hate regenerating when it's not required.)

Thanks everyone.

Andy

2016 BIAB UltraPlusPak HD
Windows 8.1
8 GB, 64-bit, 2 TB
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB 2.0 Audio Interface
M-Audio AV40 Monitors (powered)
Zoom R16 Recorder - Interface - Controller
ROG #342139 03/27/16 08:59 AM
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
I'm surprised that this thread has gone so far without anyone mentioning compressors.

Wow, yes, excellent point. They really can be a very important go-to tool. A must for getting some dynamic balance into the mix.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
D
dga Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Andy why aren't you using RealBand to open up your BIAB files?

"When you help somebody else you are really helping yourself"
D
dga Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
If you don't want an instrument to regenerate with the others Freeze the track/instruments. However, if you make a Chord change with frozen track/instrument the chord change will not effect that track. You can change a C7 to a C9 freeze the piano, Drums and Bass leave the guitar unfrozen that will sound OK. But if you change a C to an F that will not sound at all correct. Look up substitution chords and you can see what chord changes you may try making for only one instrument while others are frozen.
I freeze the drum track when I like the sound of the drums.

I also freeze my guitar/piano track when I change a C to a C/G(or Cmaj with a G Bass that is what this notation represents) C/B, C/A and I only want the BASS to pick up the change. I'll make a series of slash chords after freezing the Guitar track (or piano) and then regenerate the Bass. The bass pattern follows the bass notes indicated in the cord, most of the time. The Guitar and/or the Piano stay on the basic chord.

D
dga Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Originally Posted By: CocoTex

Also, while I'm begging for info, when I make a chord change, it is not recognized until I regenerate the entire song. Like if I just regenerate the piano, it will recognize the new chord, but the other non-regenerated instruments will not. I'm sure there's a better way to do this, hate regenerating when it's not required.)

Thanks everyone.

Andy

The Snowflake is the Freeze button next to the solo and mute buttons. Turns blue when its frozen, grey when it is unfrozen. I freeze all tracks when I like the arrangement that the instruments are playing. And I freeze all track on a song when I am finished with it. If you accidently enter a chord or push the generate button, you may never hear that super arrangement you once had.

dga #342216 03/28/16 02:28 AM
CocoTex Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks, DGA.

I've rarely opened RB. My head's about to explode as it is. But I'll try that with the "new" audio vocal track. Still it's weird that once I could, but now I can't get an imported audio track to play in sync.

I knew that about freezing, and that's why I asked. I did not know if there was a work-around when changing a chord other than regenerating an instrument, or all instruments to pick up the new chord, but then losing all the frozen arrangements.

I'd never thought about singling out instruments for chord tweaks, though. Cool idea.

Thanks for your help.

Windows 8.1
8 GB, 64-bit, 2 TB
Veteran
Veteran
CocoTex,

When you record a track on your Zoom R16 are you creating space for the two bar lead in BiaB requires? When you listen to a BiaB recorded track on the Zoom R16 while you are recording a new track you will hear a two bar count-in generated by the R16 and a two bar count in generated by BiaB. Even if you do not include the BiaB generated two bar count in when BiaB renders the track, two bars of empty space need to be present at the beginning of the R16 created track if the R16 track is going to be imported into BiaB.

Another thought is your R16 recording settings may not match BiaB settings. BiaB uses 16 bit depth at 44.1Khz sample rate. You indicated the R16 bit depth is 24 bits. That's fine as BiaB just ignores the extra bits but what sample rate do you have the R16 set at? A mismatched sample rate can cause pitch or timing error.

Here's another approach to mixing you may like:

Lower all track faders to 0 volume.

Raise the drum fader until the drum volume level is comfortable.

Raise the bass volume level until the sound of the bass blends well with the drums. Can you clearly hear the kick drum? Does the kick drum hide any of the bass notes? If so then you need to adjust both track EQs until everything can be clearly heard then adjust your fader levels again to blend the tracks.

Add another track and repeat the last step.

By the time you're finished adding tracks everything should still be clearly heard and at the correct volume level relative to each other.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
CocoTex Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thank you, Jim.

The R16 allows a choice of either 16 or 24 bits, and the depth is 44.1Khz, no changes allowed for this sample rate. I'll change it to 16 just in case it accidently has an effect. But you may have hit a spot for me.

When rendering BIAB tracks to wav files (mono and one file per BIAB track) I do select 2 bar lead-in, and I don't find a way to specifically add 2 bars to the R16, but I'm recording the track based on the BIAB track's lead in.

BUT I think recently I added the BIAB 2 second delay (the Render to Audio File cell under "ACID info"). So that might be it, but the tempo still has been off when I import the new track from the R16 to BIAB.

(I don't know if ACID info is needed, so if you think that's a problem too, please let me know.)

I've reset the delay at start to 0 seconds and will try it. Like I said, I used not to have this issue, so it must be something I tinkered with.

Thank you again for taking time to help me. All of you, too.

Andy

Last edited by CocoTex; 03/28/16 12:29 PM.

Windows 8.1
8 GB, 64-bit, 2 TB
Veteran
Veteran
Andy,

Thanks for the correction about the R16 sample rate. I hope you'll update this thread with the solution!

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: CocoTex

(I don't know if ACID info is needed, so if you think that's a problem too, please let me know.)

Andy

Don't use Acid at this stage. It won't (shouldn't) affect your results, but is one less item in the equation.

Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
CocoTex Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Setting the delay to 0 didn't help. But, however it happened, it resolved a week later when I created a new draft of the song. Importing a wav audio track is now completely synced. I'm still using the original bare bones, so it's beyond me how/what/why, but I'll take that as a win.

Windows 8.1
8 GB, 64-bit, 2 TB
CocoTex Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks, Trev. I'll keep my paws off ACID. And acid. smile

Windows 8.1
8 GB, 64-bit, 2 TB
rharv #343986 04/08/16 04:46 PM
D
dga Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Originally Posted By: rharv

hence my workflow of changing the BB tracks to regular tracks right away.

How do you change a BB track to a regular track in RB? What is the purpose/advantage of doing this?

Last edited by dga; 04/08/16 04:49 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
Under the Edit Menu item
Edit-Tracks-Make all BB Tracks regular tracks

Purpose?
So you can treat them like regular DAW tracks..
This is only in Realband, not in BiaB

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
RealBand reserves the first eight tracks for Band-in-a-Box tracks so if you are starting to create a song in RealBand, the first track available for you to use is track # 9. Since the RealBand control panel and menus are at the top of the page you are constantly having to skip over the first eight, reserved for BiaB, tracks. So if BiaB is not involved in creating your song there is no need to reserve the first eight tracks for BiaB.

Veteran
Veteran
Also, if you open a BiaB song file in RB, it will try to handle the first 8 (BiaB) tracks like you were still in BiaB. The names have a different color and the tracks behave differently.

Example: RB will regenerate those 8 tracks when (generic) Generate is invoked.

I'd rather they acted like all the rest of the RB tracks, and regenerate only when I've selected them specifically.
This is why my workflow is like I said above.

rharv #344138 04/09/16 03:18 PM
D
dga Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Originally Posted By: rharv
Also, if you open a BiaB song file in RB, it will try to handle the first 8 (BiaB) tracks like you were still in BiaB. The names have a different color and the tracks behave differently.

Example: RB will regenerate those 8 tracks when (generic) Generate is invoked.

I'd rather they acted like all the rest of the RB tracks, and regenerate only when I've selected them specifically.
This is why my workflow is like I said above.

I am really annoyed with the first 8 tracks being empty when I open a BIAB file in RB. I scrunch them all up by reducing the with of the first 8 tracks, I've never been able to put anything on those tracks. SO are you saying you can put stuff in those tracks?

Last edited by dga; 04/09/16 03:21 PM.

Veteran
Veteran
Yes-
Edit-Tracks-Make all BB Tracks regular tracks

Then they are just like all the rest of the tracks; do whatever you want with them

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,451
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195