Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hello to all,

Every so often I try to step out of my comfort zone and do something a little different. The result, in this case, is a Country Christian Rock song.

There is a phenomenon going on currently called “pay it forward.” The premise is, if you do something good for someone else, you pay it forward and good comes back to you. For example, it is not uncommon when traveling through the San Francisco Bay Bridge to be told by the toll agent that the car in front paid your bridge toll. I have seen people in the grocery store give their change to the person behind them, etc. The premise is lacking in some respect as there should be no Quid Pro Quo when helping someone. We should give freely when we can, without any expectation of receiving something in return, but… I digress.
I have received many blessings over my life that I don’t necessarily think I deserved. Conversely, there have been some consequences that I did deserve, yet some escaped receiving. I have questioned this often while at the same time understanding that a thing is just what it is. Good things happen to bad people, and bad things happen to good people all the time, it's just the way things are.
Still, during my formative years, I was raised by Evangelical grandparents. While I have not remained in the church, I have maintained the faith, at least, tried. I can see and hear my grandmother praying regularly. People would come to visit, and she’d say, “Pray for us.” I recall thinking, “why is she asking people to pray for us, there’s nothing wrong.” She was praying it forward. She knew her children and grandchildren, no matter how well intentioned, given our human frailties would fall at some point by the wayside. She prayed it forward on our behalf. I for one am grateful.

So today I write the song Pray It Forward. I apologize up front as my jazz influence makes me slide into some of the notes, and I just can’t help it. I have changed my usual instrumentation, giving Miles Black, Neil Swainson and Terry Clarke a break. This time I use the RealBand Style: PJONBA, which I have modified quite a bit.
Also:
Acoustic Piano 1778- John Jarvis
701 Electric Bass – Tobin Frank
362 -Acoustic Guitar- Jason Roller
508- Electric Guitar Darin Favorite
Nashville Country Drums Brian Fullen
Synth Strings PopBeleive

PRAY IT FORWARD
Lord, let me say, a prayer today, to lend a helping hand
Let my words on High be heard, and I will do the best I can.
When into this world I came, you heard my mother’s plea
She prayed it forward in my name, and you remembered me.
Chorus:
So let me pray it forward, Lord and help someone else today.
Use me as you will for all the blessings I can’t repay.

Once my journey got too rough, worried, I couldn’t sleep.
But someone prayed it forward long enough, and you made the mountains climb less steep.
Chorus:
So let me pray it forward, Lord, and help someone else today.
Use me as you will for all the blessings I can’t repay.

Pray for children lost today, guide them Lord ‘till they find their way.
Help my neighbor, and lift up the poor, heal the sick, and Lord, please send the cures.
Help my brothers, help my sisters too, help all known Lord to you. Pray it Forward Lord to thee that we may live in peace and harmony.
Amen
(Pray it Forward to the Lord, Pray it Forward to the Lord.)

Play It Forward © Copyright Carolyne Swayze 2016 USA. All Rights Reserved.
BMI Registration 00541061493

https://soundcloud.com/carolyne-swayze/pray-it-forward

Last edited by Carolyne; 03/30/16 06:49 PM.
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
What a beautiful concept Carolyne!! Although I am not conventionally religious (don't ascribe to any particular religion or attend church), I am really bothered by the rejection of faith that is occurring in our society among "progressives". I think that the concept of God, and the concept of humility and belief in something greater is essential to a successful society. So, now that I'm blathering on, let me say I LOVE THIS!!!! Really nicely done. The one thing I would change is to put an "organic" (live) harmony behind your voice instead of a synthetic plugin in those few sections. Thanks for posting this wonderful idea!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Nice song Carolyne, but I side with Greg on the "synthetic plugin" thing, even I have been using it my self...;)

I suppose u have seen the Movie Pay it Forward? Wonderful movie...

Forever Grateful, BUT, sometimes pissed of. wink
Trygve "Leo" Larsen
BiaB 2020, Windows 8.1, Intel Core i5 CPU, 270GHz, 32 Gb RAM
My OLD tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen My NEW is unpublished
The Universe = Uni-verse ie one song.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Carolyne !:))

What a beautiful song,
liked it very much !:))

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello, Carolyne

What a beautiful song and vocal.
I am not a Christian, but I have loved church songs like “Amazing Grace”, American standard Christmas songs and standard jazz vocals from my childhood.
I like your jazz vocals but also I like this song.
And I agree with Greg, I also think that live harmony will be better with the music of this genre, maybe.
Anyway, I liked it very much.

Best Regards.

Shigeki Adachi

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks everyone for listening and the comments. I agree regarding live singers for the harmony. We'll see what develops.
Love this Forum!
-Carolyne

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Carolyne,

beautiful song. Don't apologize, fortunately you
haven't forgotten your roots.
I'm looking forward to a real harmony version.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Carolyne,

I like this song a lot and your vocal is beautiful. The only thing I'd change is to sing the harmonies yourself.

BTW, Gospel music has jazz, funk, blues, R&B, and pretty much every other vocal styling since history shows most of the great vocalists in so many different genres started in the church - so no need to ever apologize or even worry about that - have fun and sing what you feel however you want - you're the artist.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Carolyne,

beautiful song. Don't apologize, fortunately you
haven't forgotten your roots.
I'm looking forward to a real harmony version.

Guenter

+1 to what Guenter said...

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
I like songs where you get to know the writer themselves . . . this is one of those songs.

The harmonies are a little distracting . . . maybe doubling your voice with a filter on the double would achieve the effect you are looking for?

Or, if you are using a pedal that harmonizes your voice, record one track with the effect and one without and bring the one with effect down in the mix a bit so that the harmony doesn't walk on your voice and your message

Just a couple of thoughts.

You might like this short post I wrote on prayer sometime ago:

https://evenifministries.wordpress.com/2014/02/03/thoughts-about-prayer/

Blessings Carolyne!

Last edited by Even If; 04/04/16 03:49 AM.
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
"The harmonies are a little distracting . . . maybe doubling your voice with a filter on the double would achieve the effect you are looking for? "

Thank you Even If. Would you expound a little on "filters on the harmony". I am in the process of writing and singing three harmony parts, but if the consensus is that the harmonies are distracting, then I'm not sure what I would be accomplishing. I'm not sure I understand what or how a "filter" works. Help please, and again thanks for the input.

-Carolyne

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Really nice job!! Congratulations! Great hook.

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Sure Carolyne . . .

I will post several ideas - up to you to choose which works best for you in your knowledge and budget . . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here is one example short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phrSy-6Y2eQ

the following tutorial is a WAYYYY over the top over the top example of how to make a Darth Vader voice which you would NOT want to do but will give you an idea of how different filters can be used:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dehk1ALxFY

Here is an example of an all in one plugin that does it http://www.waves.com/plugins/ultrapitch?gclid=CIip6qCq9ssCFRCOaQodj7gA3Q

Here is another: http://www.waves.com/plugins/doubler

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here is a decent one: http://www.antarestech.com/products/detail.php?product=Harmony_Engine_Evo_4

*** Of course if you use the Cadillac Melodyne, you can make harmonies this way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noa7efPJVK0

Melodyne can be used as stand alone or as plugin in your DAW

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you want to work out the harmonies individually for cheap or free, I consider the following tool indispensable: http://www.hooktheory.com/ - I subscribe to this service - but you can use it for free as well . . .

My singer is real good at figuring out his own harmonies, but when we have problems, this tool really helps . . . .

Hope this information doesn't bog you down . . . . sometimes when I try to help, I am TOO helpful . . .

I just tried to give you lots of options . . . harmonies are a vocal effect just like filters are a vocal effect . . . you will have to decide which is for you

I prefer well done harmonies over a vocal effect and a vocal filter over pitch shift harmonies (although that being said, melodyne is remarkable in what it can do)

at the end of the day, a good real harmony almost always trumps anything else . . .

Blessings!

Last edited by Even If; 04/04/16 03:48 PM.
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Beautiful song. Well worth the time to work on the harmonies. There is a lot to like with this song. Both in the message and performance.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Carolyne,

I enjoyed this. Such a great hook and treated very skilfully from a songwriting perspective. You have a beautiful voice and it's always a pleasure to listen to you.

Thank you for sharing this with us all.

Kind regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
WOW!! That's some info. Thanks you so much, but I'm somewhat overwhelmed. I do have Melodyne, but haven't figured it out (been over a year, since I got it. Ha!)

I've decided to just do the harmonies the old fashion way and just sing it till I get it right. I've written several parts, but I may have to Pray It Forward before I'm able to sing 'em (Laughing) Kinda rangy. I'm not sure who I thought I was writing for. Maybe tomorrow.

Peace.
-Carolyne

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks Charlie.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195