Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
For years I could never hear the bass in my albums - until I went over a friend's house and he had a really good system - it opened up the world of the bass to me.

Since then - I've never gone to great trouble to get such a system - but recently, I'd like to improve my bass playing - and that involves hearing the instrument better on my favorite albums.

I realize there are multiple components to a system - but in terms of speakers - what do you guys recommend at various price ranges under $1000 for both ?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joe

I have a pair of Pioneer Active Reference Monitors S-DJ50X. They are really excellent and very responsive. Well under $1000 mark (under $500 actually)

There are many products out there. I did a fair amount of research first, but settled on these for my purpose.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quick search
BX8a Deluxe

IMO, real (true) reproduction and powerful when you need it. I have these and like them a lot.
1/2 the budget, like VideoTrack's suggestion above.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I found a pair of these for $425 used about 6-7 years ago. I'm a scrounger, high quality used home speakers frequently go for cheap.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/specs/home-speakers/model-14.htm

Something like this is probably too big for you but man, do they sound great.

If you don't need instant gratification I would keep checking Craigslist or other for sale sources and find something very good used. A grand could get you an amazing pair of used speakers. I can give you lots of names to look out for if you're interested. But then you also have to have an idea of what you're looking at, what they're worth and how to check them out. One of my Altecs was going to need a refoam soon and I knew that when I got them. The refoam cost me all of $125. These speakers had a list price of $2,800 EACH back in the day.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi Joe
I use a Yamaha Stagepas 500 PA set for everything.
Guitar and bass amp for gigs (using both speakers).
Ecxellent bass sound and quite portable.
Run everything in my studio through it also.
Had it for years.
Been great value for me. May not suit you of course.
Not made anymore but there is a 600W version below $1000 US. Cheers.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We don't know if you are looking for monitors in a small studio, or something for playing along in a large room.

If it's a large room, then two active monitors of 8" should do it, or a home stereo amp and 12" speakers.

If it's a small studio and bass is of particular importance to you, get a subwoofer. This will be about 40% of your budget, and a good pair of active monitors (maybe 5" or 6") the other 60%.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Upon Mac's recommendation, I bought a pair of Barry MS-40 Near Field Monitors. Wow! I only run them at about 10% and can peal paint. The response is excellent and they have an EQ for tweaking.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-MS40-BEHRINGER/dp/B000IKSIOM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458658990&sr=8-1&keywords=MS40

Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Originally Posted By: rharv
Quick search
BX8a Deluxe

IMO, real (true) reproduction and powerful when you need it. I have these and like them a lot.
1/2 the budget, like VideoTrack's suggestion above.

Curious RHarv - do you think that purchasing active monitors for listening to your CD's has any pros or cons vs. purchasing a receiver/amplifier and passive speakers in terms of both accurate sound reproduction in general vs. "good sounding music" even if not perfectly reproduced ? I've read that some speakers by design do not Exactly reproduce the music fed them but have slightly different response in the name of sounding better - I think....

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have systems set up both ways.

Both can be good. Just what popped into my head when I read your question. I could have just as easily listed a set of JBLs with an amp.

Get whatever sounds good to you in your price range. smile

Powered monitors can be good and bad; the amp is designed for the speaker, but if one part goes the whole system is down.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I listened to a lot of different music styles through a lot of different monitors.
The cheaper ones were noticeable. On thing about active monitors is that the amplifier characteristics more likely to be perfectly matched to the speaker characteristics.

BTW, I've also got a pair of Yamaha NS40M's - the industry standard for more time than I care to remember. Even comparing to the NS40M's, the Pioneer Active monitors are still well and truly in the game.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
OK... under $1000...

Go to a music store where they sell gear... hit the PRO AUDIO department.

Listen to the speakers they have in the $300 to $450 a pair price range. You'll likely be auditioning 5" cones, and maybe even a few 8" cones. Carry your music in the WAVE form.... CD or whatever.... If you're into Jazz, you don't need to listen to hip hop on the speakers.... listen to what you'll be working with.

Buy the pair you like and carry them home. listen for crisp undistorted highs, a smooth midrange and a clean bass. Don't worry about them not having too much bass at this point.

Now.... go on-line and look for POLK AUDIO SUBWOOFER. 10" cone, 100w, and somewhere around $250 give or take. Install that into the system and you're all set. Listen to some commercial music through the system and set the SUB to taste. You will likely need to adjust it a bit over the first few weeks, but eventually, you will find that sweet spot setting and probably never need to touch it's relative levels ever again.

My system is: Mackie MR5's and the Polk 10" sub. I get a nice fully defined low end with smooth mids and crisp highs and nothing is set over 50%. The MR5's are on the detente, in fact.

The rig I described will give you a reasonably nice sound quality and leave you a nice chunk of change left over. Buy a good interface if you don't already have one.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Joe is asking for home stereo speakers, not studio monitors which as we all know, are a different animal.

Joe, you're in NY here's just a couple of ads from NYC Craigslist:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ele/5515875517.html

B&W is a high end boutique brand. There are excellent speakers and here's a pair of bookshelves used for $350.

Here's crap if you don't know already:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ele/5512008496.html

Most every consumer level company makes stuff that looks like this. Forget it.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/ele/5512008496.html

Now, here's a pair of classic Pioneers, these could be pretty good.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/ele/5509002289.html

When you see a dent in the center dust cover, that means absolutely nothing. It literally is only a dust cover to keep dirt from getting into the voice coil. It can be easily replaced if it bothers you.

That's enough examples for now. Good used home stereo speakers go for cheap all the time.

Ok, one more:

http://longisland.craigslist.org/ele/5521256336.html

A friend of mine had these back in the day. Absolutely killer speakers. These are worth restoring if they need work. They were quite expensive and by restoring I mean replacing the internal wiring, checking the drivers, maybe one needs a refoam or recone. $300? Yes, worth a look.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have a pair of Bose that kind of look like those (but not quite) ... I painted them white a few years back.
I should get those down off the wall and check them out again.
I don't think they've been connected to anything for 10 years.
No torn covers or damaged anything as far as I remember.

They sounded good when driven by an decent amp, but the amp was needed elsewhere (to drive some Pioneers in another room) and these have literally sat on the wall in a small room for years doing absolutely nothing.

Heh, thanks for the reminder; that room became the wife's office and I rarely go in there for any length of time..

Story behind them - garage sale, a mother selling her son's stuff while he was away at school. I saw them for $100 and grabbed them and got out of there as quickly as I could .. smile

Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
As always - thanks for all the great suggestions...by the time I actually put money out for used items on Craigslist or ebay - the old 'deals' will be even older and better !!! I move at the pace of a snail that takes it's time...with respect to my music hobby : )

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Joe is asking for home stereo speakers, not studio monitors which as we all know, are a different animal.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using studio reference speakers for pleasurable listening.

The major difference between home stereo speakers and studio reference speakers is that the reference speakers are designed to have a flatter response over their listed range whereas home stereo speakers are often designed to have a "signature" sound. And unless you are buying some really high end, high dollar reference speakers, hopefully, we know that statement isn't true.

I use mine all the time for listening to music. Doing so probably yields a sound that is closer to what the studio engineer put onto the CD anyway.

If you really wanted to get picky about the sound difference, we'd need to incorporate the room and it's treatment into the equation. So if we're not even taking that massive part of the equation into consideration..... either stereo or reference speakers will work....and the reference will do double duty in the studio whereas the stereo speakers are not a good choice for double duty. All things considered.

Shop around and get a good deal on whatever direction you take.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Joe V
I realize there are multiple components to a system - but in terms of speakers - what do you guys recommend at various price ranges under $1000 for both ?

Joe, lots of excellent info has come your way.
You really need to listen and choose speakers that sound good to you.
Everyone has different perceptions. Someone else might not like what you like, you might not like what someone else likes.

They have to fit your listening environment, your preferred musical style(s), and have to be appealing to you.

Lots of good suggestions, but ultimately, the choice is yours, and you should definitely listen and like what you hear before you purchase.

My 2 cents

Trev

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
Upon Mac's recommendation, I bought a pair of Barry MS-40 Near Field Monitors. Wow! I only run them at about 10% and can peal paint. The response is excellent and they have an EQ for tweaking.

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-MS40-BEHRINGER/dp/B000IKSIOM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458658990&sr=8-1&keywords=MS40

In my loyalty to Greg Mackie, a long time friend, I avoided Berringer products until Mac assured me that they are now doing their own R&D work rather than "borrowing" it from Greg.

"Near Field" implies a more intimate physical positioning between speaker and engineer, therefore, I don't recommend them for general room listening.

"Active" monitors have built-in amplifiers (or bi-amplified) to, in many designs, power the tweeter separately. Better near fields have built-in EQ.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I don't know a lot about speakers, but am I right in thinking that as the above speakers have bass mid and treble controls as such they are not true studio reference speakers, and so can be set up for general listening pleasure?

All I know is that the behringer one I have for mixing don't have the above controls.

Saying that I mixed with the most lousy of speakers no doubt reflected in the finished mix.

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover
I don't know a lot about speakers, but am I right in thinking that as the above speakers have bass mid and treble controls as such they are not true studio reference speakers, and so can be set up for general listening pleasure?

All I know is that the behringer one I have for mixing don't have the above controls.

Saying that I mixed with the most lousy of speakers no doubt reflected in the finished mix.

Musiclover

It's not that they CAN'T be used as "general listening" speakers. Near Field Monitors have a focal point intentionally aimed at the listener's ears.

I use mine for mixing and general listening. When I enter the "focal point" I enter a new sonic world. Out of that focal point, they are just "good" speakers, not great.

Recommended placement is against the wall and about 6' apart then pointed at the engineer and on speaker stands at ear level. A very tiring position for general listening pleasure. lol

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This is exactly correct which is why my RSL monitors I use for mixing are set up exactly that way in the bedroom "studio". I use my big Altec's in the living room to check the mix and fine tune it to taste. And even there I have both Altec's about 10 feet apart and are angled at my head when I'm sitting in my couch. My nice walnut veneered Altecs are the home version of the last studio monitors Altec made before they went out of business. The only difference is appearance. The studio versions were painted battleship grey.

This is all about how picky someone is though. We can talk all about how this is designed for one thing and that is designed for another thing but what is the definition of work? As in, will it work?

Of course any of these suggestions will work. Working well is a different thing. Many home hobbyists don't know about and don't care about these recording pro niceties and the difference in sitting in that perfect sweet spot for proper mixing.

That plus the reason I focused on home stereo speakers is the ratio is probably 1000 to 1 in favor of finding those used than a good pair of used studio monitors.

I also favor the older classic speakers that were specifically NOT designed to color the sound, they had no need for subs either. My Altecs will rock my world with bass if I need that.

I'm talking about classic JBL, Klpsch, Advent, Altec, AR, Sansui, Infinity lots of others. They all sound more or less awesome and are well worth restoring and many are well kept and don't need much. They were very expensive new and hard partying kids weren't the ones buying them. Seriously $1,000 can get you a pair of any of these in good shape and looking beautiful. Just have patience and wait for the right deal.

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,622
Posts735,187
Members38,519
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01
38,518 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185