Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Add-ons and UserTracks for Band-in-a-Box
Veteran
Veteran
I think you have a point JJJ.

I touched on this but not the legal side in a post some weeks ago and that point was RT/RD's are REAL MOT MIDI. That's the beauty of the concept, taking world class players and putting them in the studio with real instruments. Not playing midi controllers and sample libraries. How many times have we all talked about that in the many threads about separating the Real Drum recordings into separate parts of the drum kit? With a real studio recording of an acoustic drum kit that's pretty much impossible to do but that ability already exists using midi but that's not what the RD's are all about. They're real not midi.

The recent exception is the new synth RT's. I certainly don't know for sure but I suspect that PG either owns the synths themselves or legally paid for their use. Now that I see what I just wrote I strongly suspect that since PGM is a well known commercial music company they must have paid someone for the use of those synth sounds. I kind of doubt that simply owning a Moog or Prophet for example means PGM can use it for these commercial RT's without paying. I think Dave Smith would get a cut if it's one of his Prophets.

A few years back someone requested some jazz scat RT's and other vocal type background things. I have a Kurzweil PC3 that has their Take 6 samples in it and at first I thought hey, I can create a vocal user track and help this person out. But then I thought the exact same thing. Take 6 vocals have been a Kurzweil exclusive soundset for years and maybe I shouldn't be doing that with their samples.

Since I'm not an attorney either I would like for Peter to chime in about this. If it is OK then I will do some background vocal RT's using my Kurzweil. You guys would love those.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 04/24/16 09:23 AM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
I think you have a point JJJ.

I touched on this but not the legal side in a post some weeks ago and that point was RT/RD's are REAL MOT MIDI. That's the beauty of the concept, taking world class players and putting them in the studio with real instruments. Not playing midi controllers and sample libraries. How many times have we all talked about that in the many threads about separating the Real Drum recordings into separate parts of the drum kit? With a real studio recording of an acoustic drum kit that's pretty much impossible to do but that ability already exists using midi but that's not what the RD's are all about. They're real not midi.

The recent exception is the new synth RT's. I certainly don't know for sure but I suspect that PG either owns the synths themselves or legally paid for their use. Now that I see what I just wrote I strongly suspect that since PGM is a well known commercial music company they must have paid someone for the use of those synth sounds. I kind of doubt that simply owning a Moog or Prophet for example means PGM can use it for these commercial RT's without paying. I think Dave Smith would get a cut if it's one of his Prophets.

A few years back someone requested some jazz scat RT's and other vocal type background things. I have a Kurzweil PC3 that has their Take 6 samples in it and at first I thought hey, I can create a vocal user track and help this person out. But then I thought the exact same thing. Take 6 vocals have been a Kurzweil exclusive soundset for years and maybe I shouldn't be doing that with their samples.

Since I'm not an attorney either I would like for Peter to chime in about this. If it is OK then I will do some background vocal RT's using my Kurzweil. You guys would love those.

Bob

Thanks for sharing your perspective Bob! I feel bad for upsetting Frank but I honestly believe we need clarification on the legalities of this! Maybe jford is correct and this is far enough "downstream" from the original samples that it is not an issue. And even if it is an issue, almost certainly, our sharing of UserTracks here is unlikely to draw the attention of folks like IK and NI. But I would really love to get PG's opinion on this. If it is OK I would also like to create a few UserTracks from the samples I have collected over the years!

ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Just a few thoughts...

I think it might be useful at this stage to remember exactly what is a realtrack, and consequently a user-track.

If you navigate to your realtracks folder on your hard drive, open the folder and then open the sub-folder for a synth instrument, you'll see a number of audio files. These will likely be windows media, or wav if your lucky enough to be using the audiophile version. Double click on any of the audio files and it will play music for a few minutes. That is a realtrack - a piece of music. It is NOT a sample. It is no different to any piece of music performed on a sample player and as such it is legitimately the property of the performer. In this case the session musician has assigned copyright to PGM, who has become the legal owner of the music.

I believe that there is no way back from this. Neither the manufacturer of the sample player, nor the sample library can have any claim on this music, in exactly the same way as with any song. This is evidenced and can be observed by common practice and indeed, the whole music industry would cease to function if this were not the case. Every high earning performer would be swamped with actions from equipment suppliers and the lawyers would become even richer.

Now, if PGM as the legal owner, give me permission to take this piece of music, slow it down, pitch-shift the key and then copy and paste the chords in a different order, do I have to pay cash to the sample library? I think not. If I use a software program such as Realband to automate this procedure the principle remains.

At the end of the day, a sample is a sample, but a piece of music is something different and each are governed by separate rules.

(The usual legal disclaimers apply - this is only the opinion of the author.)

Just saying ...

ROG.

Veteran
Veteran
Right, and I can see that Rog. You're saying an RT is a piece of music assigned by the owner to PGM who then has the right to allow it's customers to use it in any way they like. Ok, interesting point.

This gets into the weeds of what is a copywritable piece of music. The RT's are simply chord patterns and you can't copyright chords alone so then an RT is really nothing but another song construction tool using exclusive samples belonging to someone else. An RT not a real piece of music, it's sole purpose is to allow people to construct what could be a real copywritable piece of music.

This could boil down to intent. What's the intent of the creator of an RT? The intent is not to create a real piece of music themselves, the intent is to give it away. Therefore, what are they giving away? Why, certain sounds belonging to someone else.

This could make my head hurt.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bob.

I think what you mean is that you can't copyright a chord chart, which is correct. However, once you play an instrument over the chords it becomes a piece of music which you can copyright. If you were right, then every piece of music based on a 12 bar blues would be in the public domain. Obviously this isn't the case. Once you play over the chords you introduce phrasing and timing which identifies it as original. If your phrasing and timing copies exactly that of an existing piece, then you're in trouble. See what I mean?

If you get into defining what is and what isn't a piece of music you've got real problems. Think about John Cage. Not that will make your head hurt!

ROG.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
A UserTrack is a PG invention for sharing instrument sounds for the sole purpose of allowing an end user of PG products to create their own songs using the instrument sounds contained inside the UserTrack. It would be quite a stretch to claim a UserTrack is a song. Maybe there is a claim to be made about the patterns being played but as Bob said the intent was not to create a song, rather, it was to share the instrument sounds and played patterns.

I wish PG would offer their viewpoint on this!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 04/25/16 09:57 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
A UserTrack is a PG invention for sharing instrument sounds for the sole purpose of allowing an end user of PG products to create their own songs using the instrument sounds contained inside the UserTrack.

I don't believe this is correct. User Tracks are not designed to allow you to use the instrument sounds in other songs, but to allow you to use the phrases, riffs, and chord-specific melodic material to create new songs. As with RealTracks, they allow you to use the phrases created in the audio file you created, which can give other songs the "same feel as " or "in the style of" whatever you recorded.

The only reason you need the SGU file for the chord progression is not to create sound from a particular chord progression, but is so that BIAB/RealBand can choose a phrase you recorded which is closest to the chord in your own song, to avoid stretching the pitch too much. It's really a matter of transposition and choosing phrases that most closely match a particular chord to create new songs. But it isn't about the underlying sound; it's about the phrases I recorded, much like phrases I create when writing a song.

And of course, once I record the phrase, whether with a real instrument or digitally from a keyboard using some particular sound source, I would then apply some reverb, some equalization, maybe some distortion, maybe some de-tuning, maybe some echo, and any number of other effects. Sure the underlying sound may have been based on the sound library I used, but good luck trying to find that resulting sound in the original library. How is that re-distributing the sound maker's note specific samples? What I end up with is uniquely my creation, and again, if I can't use those sound sources to do this, then technically, I can't use them for anything.

Truly, intellectually I see both viewpoints here, but I unfortunately (or fortunately, as the case may be) in reading the EULA, I don't find the text to support not using a sound vendors sound library to make my own unique creations. If I'm not allowed to do it, then the EULA should say so, and that's why you accept the license agreement to use the product. I doubt they would come after you for using it creatively in a manner not prohibited by either the letter of or intent of the user agreement. Most of the EULA's I've seen talk about sharing the software and the specific library files themselves; they don't even talk about the music you create from the use of the product.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: jford
Quote:
A UserTrack is a PG invention for sharing instrument sounds for the sole purpose of allowing an end user of PG products to create their own songs using the instrument sounds contained inside the UserTrack.

I don't believe this is correct. User Tracks are not designed to allow you to use the instrument sounds in other songs, but to allow you to use the phrases, riffs, and chord-specific melodic material to create new songs. As with RealTracks, they allow you to use the phrases created in the audio file you created, which can give other songs the "same feel as " or "in the style of" whatever you recorded.

The only reason you need the SGU file for the chord progression is not to create sound from a particular chord progression, but is so that BIAB/RealBand can choose a phrase you recorded which is closest to the chord in your own song, to avoid stretching the pitch too much. It's really a matter of transposition and choosing phrases that most closely match a particular chord to create new songs. But it isn't about the underlying sound; it's about the phrases I recorded, much like phrases I create when writing a song.

And of course, once I record the phrase, whether with a real instrument or digitally from a keyboard using some particular sound source, I would then apply some reverb, some equalization, maybe some distortion, maybe some de-tuning, maybe some echo, and any number of other effects. Sure the underlying sound may have been based on the sound library I used, but good luck trying to find that resulting sound in the original library. How is that re-distributing the sound maker's note specific samples? What I end up with is uniquely my creation, and again, if I can't use those sound sources to do this, then technically, I can't use them for anything.

Truly, intellectually I see both viewpoints here, but I unfortunately (or fortunately, as the case may be) in reading the EULA, I don't find the text to support not using a sound vendors sound library to make my own unique creations. If I'm not allowed to do it, then the EULA should say so, and that's why you accept the license agreement to use the product. I doubt they would come after you for using it creatively in a manner not prohibited by either the letter of or intent of the user agreement. Most of the EULA's I've seen talk about sharing the software and the specific library files themselves; they don't even talk about the music you create from the use of the product.

Really great points John. I too see both sides of this. But is there a line?

1) I use a sample library but play some cool riffs of my own devising and turn that into a UserTrack to distribute

2) I use a sample library that includes strums on a guitar and I just use those directly in my UserTrack to distribute

3) I use a sample library that includes specific patterns (as ST3 does) and everything I use in my UserTrack is ST3 samples using ST3 patterns

I can see your point for #1 but when you get to #3 am I not simply and cleverly figuring out a way to redistribute some of the ST3 IP without paying for that?

ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
JohnJohnJohn.

A user track is quite simply a piece of music. The PG "invention" is the software which slices and dices the music, though even part of this is licensed from Zplane. The two are completely separate and should not be confused. The software could just as easily slice and dice a Rachmaninoff piano concerto.

You can play back a realtrack in media player, because it's just music and as music it's within the sample users permitted use. Intent never comes into it.

ROG.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: ROG
JohnJohnJohn.

A user track is quite simply a piece of music. The PG "invention" is the software which slices and dices the music, though even part of this is licensed from Zplane. The two are completely separate and should not be confused. The software could just as easily slice and dice a Rachmaninoff piano concerto.

You can play back a realtrack in media player, because it's just music and as music it's within the sample users permitted use. Intent never comes into it.

ROG.

A UserTrack is no more a piece of music than a single ST3 sample is a piece of music. Neither was intended to be played and listened to. Both were intended to be used as digital instruments in a new song.

So, based on the reasoning I am hearing here, it would be OK for PG to simply buy one license of SampleTank 3 and have their programmers spend the next few months converting all of the samples into UserTrack/RealTrack format. Since ST3 also has patterns they would not even need to do any playing! And then they would have a new product to sell? And IK would not object?

Or, let me make this even simpler. Based on what you are saying I could simply string together every sample in the ST3 library and call it a "music" file! Then I would be free to redistribute it as long as I also have my own software that can slice and dice it before serving it up to my customers to use in their songs.

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 04/25/16 12:32 PM.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
As I have said a half mile back on this other page If anyone is worried:
"Okay in that case just upload the midi file user track and I will use them in any of the vsti's I own - that way I can add key switches anywhere I like to get the sound I like - same with user track drums I can change the kit and re-mix it.
So you would only need to save your midi user track to an mgu then I just render your midi file to a wav/wma along with the mgu/sgu in the user track folder."

This way you can also transpose the midi first to what you want then use it on any vsti you like as there are so many free ones.
How long would it take to upload a super midi user track to share ?

Here's just one
http://www.dskmusic.com/ 100% Royalty Free for any use.

If you have Kontakt there's plenty of free instruments for that also.

ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
JohnJohnJohn.

I don't think it's going to be a good idea to get into a theoretical discussion about what constitutes a piece of music. I think this is where I leave it.

Cheers, ROG.

Veteran
Veteran
Rog, your point above about the 12 bar blues is incorrect. The only thing copywritable about a standard 12 bar blues are the words, melody and song title and maybe not even the melody because so many basic blues melody's are virtually identical. The basic blues FORM is in the public domain. That I do know for a fact, it's been to court.

Chords alone, public domain. You write an identifiable song specific lick as part of the 12 bar blues, ok it's yours. My favorite example of a lick like that is Satisfaction. In that context a user track is not a piece of music. The creator has to put some kind of original element in it besides just chords and rhythm.

JFord so you think I'm ok to create some vocal tracks using my Kurzweil Take 6 samples? All they would be are jazzy oohs and aahs over some chords and I might be able to create a scat solo too.

This whole discussion is basically theoretical to me. Absent any direction from PG, I'm fine with these user tracks and Frank keep on posting them brother until you hear otherwise.

Bob

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
My last post seems to have disappeared! I asked PG to review the thread and comment and they indicated they would.

Veteran
Veteran
Bob, in my mind, the answer to your question should be whether you can use those oohs and aahs in any song you produce? What if you had an a capella section with just those oohs and aahs. And if you released that song for others to use, could I extract that part with the oohs and aahs, transpose it, and use it in my song? To me the answer is yes, and that's just a variation on user tracks and should be legal.

I do agree with JohnJohnJohn here, though, is it would be best if PG Music weighed in on this, since I'm sure they consulted with their lawyers before releasing User Track capability in the first place.

But still in my mind, companies have given me the right to use their sounds. I can't find anything to the contrary in the EULAs I've read.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Well, it's been 7 days and nary a peep from the PTB so I say it's been a fun discussion but if PG has no comment then it's all good.

Bob

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Well, it's been 7 days and nary a peep from the PTB so I say it's been a fun discussion but if PG has no comment then it's all good.

Bob

I'd conclude the opposite! If it is all good why would they not say so?

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 05/03/16 03:02 PM.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
The best way is contact the specific manufacture of the specific sample library you want to use, directly.
I don't think PG can solve this issue for you as user track were designed for the user to record them selves playing an instrument.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
The best way is contact the specific manufacture of the specific sample library you want to use, directly.
I don't think PG can solve this issue for you as user track were designed for the user to record them selves playing an instrument.

I agree with you and in an online chat PG told me "UserTracks are intended to be audio recordings of a musician with their instrument" but the person I spoke to also did not think there is a problem using sample libraries; she said she would have a moderator comment on the thread when they get time.

I guess I'd choose not to ask the library owner directly for fear they would will automatically say "No!" Maybe it is best just to let this go and not ask anyone!!!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 05/03/16 04:37 PM.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Okay, Mums the word!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,607
Posts735,028
Members38,514
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716
38,513 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186