"ghost of garbo"

That's all it took right from the get go to know that this
was a terrific write. The fj clinic in how to write a lyric
continues and this time we also get some cool insight as to
how the production came about. Somebody, perhaps
Peter, used the word sophisticated. Yep, it is - but
in a manner that also offers the listener easy entry into
the story. That is a great balance and one that I can
appreciate the finesse required to pull it off.

Super write, vocal and production by as Greg said
"a man who knows how to do it."

Thanks for the ride.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Hi Floyd. Any sailing metaphor has me hooked from the start. Really lovely. Love those horns. Would love to know the song it is based on. Reminded me of Joshua Kadison but I don't think that is it 'cause I never heard horns in his stuff.

Thanks, Joanne. I had never heard Josua.... cool stuff...

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

I really like this one a lot - love how the trumpet follows your vocal throughout the song... Very cool.

Bob

Appreciate that, Bob... (where's your next one?)

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Floyd

Another piece of genius. No surprise coming for you.

You have a sensational ability to make your songs sound effortless, when indeed they are the product of great thought, creativeness and always provided with technically challenging delivery.

Your phrasing is just perfect, your have enhanced the instrumentalist backing beyond where it could ever got on its own, and projected your songwriting skills to a new dimension (again).

Always enjoy your music.

Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Ok...here is my only complaint...could you please just pick ONE thing to be good at? Is it really necessary to do every aspect of a song right on your own? Rant over.

After reading the comments referring to reverb, I was somewhat expecting not to like it. For me, reverb can be used poorly fast, and ruin a song. Yours however is truly, masterfully done. I have NO idea how you do that!? It's lush, rich, with the exact parameters needed.

I totally get this isn't the song you are referring to, but...the horn, reverb,and atmosphere you created reminds me of "Careless Whisper." I'm not someone that goes around listening to it, but that song also created such an intentional mood using some of your same devices.

I was sort of expecting to hear a mic get dropped at the end of the song. I'm not sure if you will get that reference? Great job my friend!

Caaron...

I miss your forum posts. I wish you would come around more often.

I did not know "Careless Whisper" - but it did take me back to the '80's... it's always nice to remember...

Thanks for your nice post.

(Drops mic.... walks off stage...)

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
With an eye and ear on production - you made the mark.

I like this one a lot, superb write, arrangement and performance.

Thanks, Charlie. Always like seeing you drop by...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
First, thank you for your commentary on the song. It is SO helpful to not only have your thoughts on it, but the suggestions of what to try for ourselves. Awesome!

I was certain the song I referenced was NOT the song but I listened to it in it's entirety when in school. The best way I have been able to state it is, I don't like it, but I really appreciate what they did production wise. I will have to leave it at that.

I'm glad you brought up the idea of finding the pieces and using them. So many times I feel like "someone will know and think less of what I'm doing!" Then I remember, I'm not doing anything TOTALLY original anyway!

Last, I had never heard the song that inspired your production so it's a great day to have been introduced to another great song! All good things my friend!

I consider "Born To Run" one of the greatest records ever made. If I could have written "Thunder Road" and no other song the rest of my life, I could die happy...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
I like this suggestion of using templates... especially for me, because unlike a lot of the people in this forum who have a very recognizable and signature style, playing cover songs has turned me into a chameleon.

I think once I get a few animated projects that are already in process out of the way, I'm going to take this idea and run with it... recording songs "in the style of" my favorite artists. In this case, the template won't be a single song, but rather it will be patterned after the artist's style.

Great idea, Floyd! Thanks for sharing your technique... and especially, thanks for making it interesting by turning it into a puzzle we had to think about before you revealed your answer. Seems like something a song writer might do... ;-)

Always keep in mind... the objective is NOT to make your song sound like whatever song you are using as a template, but for that template to take your song to a place you might not have otherwise gone... it helps to keep your productions "fresh"...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Pattern Productions (In the style of) has pretty much become my BIAB hobby and daily use of BIAB/RB. As you point out, I import a commercial release into my project and attempt to recreate it within BIAB/RB.

When I'm not doing Pattern Productions I download good acoustic covers of commercial releases (guitar and singer or piano and singer) from YouTube and Facebook and use BIAB/RB to turn them into full blown productions.

Former The Voice contestant James David Carter has a pretty extensive library of modern country. Joe Var Veri has a lot of Elvis covers and some other good covers as well. Mike Masse and Jeff Hall have a lot of high quality covers. You can have a lot of fun with the Jazz of Gina Cicilia.

Unique arrangements and varying tempo maps can be quite challenging and these are excellent learning tools for the day your cousin sends you an MP3 of his original hit he wrote and wants you to do a quality, free backing track for his demo.

That's a clever idea, Charlie....Great way to get good at the production end. I wish that we could here some of what you've done in that manner...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
The trumpet intro & 1st few words made me think of vintage Springsteen - from the gentler tracks on The Wild The Innocent & the E Street Shuffle.
Very cool song and had the trumpet been a sax I'd have been convinced it was Bruce.
Nuff said.

Thanks, Ray... actually, the trumpet was "ripped off" from the Born To Run era (Meeting Across The River).

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Carolyne
Beautiful production. The trumpet was an unexpected treat. I will say, the lyric, perfectly matched with the melody, and the timbre of your voice, made me incredibly sad. That said, is exactly what the blues, jazz torch, and country songs are suppose to do, evoke emotion; this one certainly does. Great song.
Peace,
-Carolyne

Thanks, Carolyne - nice things to say...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
I like this suggestion of using templates... especially for me, because unlike a lot of the people in this forum who have a very recognizable and signature style, playing cover songs has turned me into a chameleon.

I think once I get a few animated projects that are already in process out of the way, I'm going to take this idea and run with it... recording songs "in the style of" my favorite artists. In this case, the template won't be a single song, but rather it will be patterned after the artist's style.

Great idea, Floyd! Thanks for sharing your technique... and especially, thanks for making it interesting by turning it into a puzzle we had to think about before you revealed your answer. Seems like something a song writer might do... ;-)

Always keep in mind... the objective is NOT to make your song sound like whatever song you are using as a template, but for that template to take your song to a place you might not have otherwise gone... it helps to keep your productions "fresh"...

are you suggesting there's only one objective in song writing? I accept that as YOUR objective... but I won't know what my objective is until I start on the song. (Not trying to be a wise guy, but that observation surprised me more than a little) ;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi floyd.

The first time I listened to this was almost immediately after you posted it.

You see, my alarm clock rings at 5:45 am and the first thing I do when I get up is to turn the computer on and find out who's posted songs overnight (I set my alarm to awaken a little earlier than I need to so that I have a bit of pre-workday PG Music forum time smile ). As you can see from the below time and date stamp in Australian Time East Standard time, you posted this song on Wednesday April 13 at 5:26 am (Australia and the US are a bit topsy-turvy when it comes to time difference). I listened to it around 5:50 am - just after Greg had commented.

My response at that time was (a) to double-check that the song was posted by you because it took me by surprise and (b) to realise that I would need a lot more time than 10 minutes to write about my listening experience.

It's now 10 days later and early in the evening of April 23.

The song is fantastic. Your arrangement is daring and very creative. By 'daring', I mean that it challenges what one has come to expect that a mainstream arrangement should sound like. In this regard, though, it is worth noting that all new developments in music began as something that someone dared to do that was different from what preceded. It was after these thoughts that the word “experimental” came to mind. A trumpet, piano and vocal trio that's held intact by a bass line gave me the impression of a musical tapestry. As I listened with eyes closed, it was like I could see threads of sound weaving a picture.

Your composing, performing, arranging and producing all work together to build a very emotive musical journey. For me, a feeling of loneliness and/or sadness or emptiness, pathos(?), were the emotions that underscored the lyrics and their accompaniment. To my way of thinking, the most important line in the song is “the little boy is an easy sell”. This line makes sense of the chorus. It also colours the rest of the song and paints a picture of a man who, in reality, is more boy than man. This is outstanding lyric development. In verse one, I met the man. In verse two, I stepped inside his head and I could see that while the mirror shows him to be a man, he is just a little boy who is floundering and trying to make sense of Life but he cannot let go of his world of dreams and wishes and fairytales. For him, Life is a storm from which he is continually seeking refuge. Once these images appeared to me, the lyrics became about the journey of wanting to grow up but not quite working out how to get there. These words strike me as being from the Impressionistic wing of the lyric-writing gallery. They are skilfully painted with a poignancy that resonates with craftsmanship. While I have zero ability when it comes to writing impressionistic lyrics, I admire the talent on show here. If you were born in Spain and it was 1900, your name would probably have been Pablo Picasso (I've most likely mixed metaphors here given that Picasso was post-impressionism... oh well, the comparison sounds valid and justified to me). You've done an absolutely incredible job.

My favourite... I love the flow of the rhymes time/behind/find in the bridge. They must feel really good to sing!

Well, floyd, you've given me yet another song-creation template but this one I have no idea how to use! (Well not yet at least.)

Thank you for the journey and for yet another dose of inspiration!
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

are you suggesting there's only one objective in song writing? I accept that as YOUR objective... but I won't know what my objective is until I start on the song. (Not trying to be a wise guy, but that observation surprised me more than a little) ;-)

No...I was talking about production (or arrangement and instrumentation) ...not songwriting.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Super job all around. It's nice to listen to a sparsely arranged song. I like your chord progression here. It takes the melody to places my ear can't anticipate and that keeps me engaged.

Great write!

Thanks, Lawrence. An interesting observation (a good one, I think...)

ROG #347040 04/23/16 11:07 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.

Not had chance to listen to the forum songs this week, so arriving a bit late to this one.

I listened to the Springsteen song, though the linked version appears to have been taken down. If that was the model, then you've achieved it one hundred percent.

This is a super production and SO well performed. Superb and very clever lyrics, apart from one line.

Going back to listen again.

ROG.

Thanks, ROG. I am wondering what the one line that didn't work for you was...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd !:))

Your best !
Simply outstanding
seen from any aspect !:))

I dig your vocal and you
know it, here the trumpets
and the piano sounded also
pretty mighty !:))

Cheers
Dani

Thanks you, Norman...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
"ghost of garbo"

That's all it took right from the get go to know that this
was a terrific write. The fj clinic in how to write a lyric
continues and this time we also get some cool insight as to
how the production came about. Somebody, perhaps
Peter, used the word sophisticated. Yep, it is - but
in a manner that also offers the listener easy entry into
the story. That is a great balance and one that I can
appreciate the finesse required to pull it off.

Super write, vocal and production by as Greg said
"a man who knows how to do it."

Thanks for the ride.

J&B

Y'all are so kind... smile

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Floyd

Another piece of genius. No surprise coming for you.

You have a sensational ability to make your songs sound effortless, when indeed they are the product of great thought, creativeness and always provided with technically challenging delivery.

Your phrasing is just perfect, your have enhanced the instrumentalist backing beyond where it could ever got on its own, and projected your songwriting skills to a new dimension (again).

Always enjoy your music.

Trevor

Thanks, Trevor. I always enjoy your reviews. Hoping to see more songs from you, more often...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi floyd.

The first time I listened to this was almost immediately after you posted it.

You see, my alarm clock rings at 5:45 am and the first thing I do when I get up is to turn the computer on and find out who's posted songs overnight (I set my alarm to awaken a little earlier than I need to so that I have a bit of pre-workday PG Music forum time smile ). As you can see from the below time and date stamp in Australian Time East Standard time, you posted this song on Wednesday April 13 at 5:26 am (Australia and the US are a bit topsy-turvy when it comes to time difference). I listened to it around 5:50 am - just after Greg had commented.

My response at that time was (a) to double-check that the song was posted by you because it took me by surprise and (b) to realise that I would need a lot more time than 10 minutes to write about my listening experience.

It's now 10 days later and early in the evening of April 23.

The song is fantastic. Your arrangement is daring and very creative. By 'daring', I mean that it challenges what one has come to expect that a mainstream arrangement should sound like. In this regard, though, it is worth noting that all new developments in music began as something that someone dared to do that was different from what preceded. It was after these thoughts that the word “experimental” came to mind. A trumpet, piano and vocal trio that's held intact by a bass line gave me the impression of a musical tapestry. As I listened with eyes closed, it was like I could see threads of sound weaving a picture.

Your composing, performing, arranging and producing all work together to build a very emotive musical journey. For me, a feeling of loneliness and/or sadness or emptiness, pathos(?), were the emotions that underscored the lyrics and their accompaniment. To my way of thinking, the most important line in the song is “the little boy is an easy sell”. This line makes sense of the chorus. It also colours the rest of the song and paints a picture of a man who, in reality, is more boy than man. This is outstanding lyric development. In verse one, I met the man. In verse two, I stepped inside his head and I could see that while the mirror shows him to be a man, he is just a little boy who is floundering and trying to make sense of Life but he cannot let go of his world of dreams and wishes and fairytales. For him, Life is a storm from which he is continually seeking refuge. Once these images appeared to me, the lyrics became about the journey of wanting to grow up but not quite working out how to get there. These words strike me as being from the Impressionistic wing of the lyric-writing gallery. They are skilfully painted with a poignancy that resonates with craftsmanship. While I have zero ability when it comes to writing impressionistic lyrics, I admire the talent on show here. If you were born in Spain and it was 1900, your name would probably have been Pablo Picasso (I've most likely mixed metaphors here given that Picasso was post-impressionism... oh well, the comparison sounds valid and justified to me). You've done an absolutely incredible job.

My favourite... I love the flow of the rhymes time/behind/find in the bridge. They must feel really good to sing!

Well, floyd, you've given me yet another song-creation template but this one I have no idea how to use! (Well not yet at least.)

Thank you for the journey and for yet another dose of inspiration!
Noel

Noel - It is always such a joy to read your thoughts on a song. Songwriting is a very important thing to me - a very important part of my life - how I define myself - and I have "invested" many hours (many years) in perfecting the craft as best I can. The fact that you "get it" and understand so much of what goes into every word choice I make means SO much to me. I want you to know I TRULY appreciate it. One of the things that make it all worthwhile. Icing on the cake.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd, I think we all know where your REAL trumpet inspiration came from...

Floyd's Inspiration

I guess it's true, imitation is the greatest form of flattery. grin

(ok, before everyone gets me kicked from the forums, realize this...I had to hear the song in the vehicle with my kids...THEN make the effort to remember the name of the song...which my brain suppressed for obvious reasons...THEN do a search and listen to a few of his songs to find the one with the trumpet part. I think what I have done to myself FAR exceeds any punishment coming forth. Sentence served? wink )

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195