You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#346990 - 04/23/16 10:46 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Should I switch DAW from 32 to 64bit?
Sundance Offline
Veteran

At this point in time, the vast majority of my plugins have both 32/64bit options. There are a few I still like to use occasionally that are only 32bit, a couple I occasionally use that are only 64bit, but most have both options.

Prior to my computer crashing and then upgading to Windows 10, I'd been running the 32bit version of Reaper in my 64bit computer which has 10g ram.

After I reinstalled Reaper 32bit version I got to thinking maybe I should reconsider.

Now that I'm virtually starting over, I'm wonderng whether switching to the 64bit version of Reaper would be the better option to choose going forward - or not.

It would seem to make more sense with a 64 computer and a majority of 64bit capable plugins to use a 64bit DAW - but I could be wrong.....

Your thoughts???

#347002 - 04/23/16 11:09 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Should I switch DAW from 32 to 64bit? [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Josie,

I upgraded my computer in January and I changed over to Reaper 64 bit to give it a test run and see what it was like. I'm still running it.

The only thing you'll notice that's different is that if you use 32-bit plug-ins. With these 64-bit Reaper will automatically put them in its inbuilt bridge so they can work. Their functional ability is not diminished in any way.

The 'x86 bridged' above is indicating that the Ozone plug-in I'm using is 32 bit. Because of this bridging, I sometimes need to click on "Show UI" to make the user interface visible because it is a floating interface and not one locked in the FX window (like in the 32 bit program). I haven't found this an issue at all, though.

Reaper 64 opens all my song files that I've created with Reaper 32. I can still use all my previous 32-bit VSTs and DXis (synths: Dimension Pro, Miroslav, Cakewalk TTS-1; Finishing tools: Ozone, Nectar, ReaTune). I'm missing no functionality at all.

When I record audio, and I'm not sure if this is a consequence of a 32-bit plugin in a 64-bit environment or if it's that my audio card drivers don't work so well for Windows 7, I need to stop Ozone in the Master FX. After I've finished recording, I restart Ozone.

I have no hesitation in recommending the 64-bit version of Reaper to you.

Regards,
Noel

#347027 - 04/23/16 01:22 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Should I switch DAW from 32 to 64bit? [Re: Sundance]
JEL Offline
Enthusiast

@Sundance;

Hi Sundance smile

I have used a 32bit DAW on a 64bit windows since 2010.

Personally I would advice staying at 32bit if you use the DAW to make your own songs one by one.

Many plugins, as you say, have both 32 and 64 bit options, but for plugins that only has one option it's usually the 32 bit they have and not the 64. You'd rarely find a plugin that only comes in a 64bit version (you say you have some that are only 64bit though, but I think it's only a small number of plugins that are only released as 64bit. Which plugins is it you only have as 64bit versions?)

So in a 32bit DAW you're more likely to run the plugins natively rather than in bridge-mode. That might give you a slight edge in terms of compatibility/stability.

The only reason to go for 64bit is if your projects need more RAM than 32 bit can handle (I have never myself hit that wall yet)

Edited by JEL (04/23/16 01:27 PM)

#347044 - 04/23/16 02:24 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Should I switch DAW from 32 to 64bit? [Re: Sundance]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Noel, I took the plunge! Thank you so much!!!

JEL, Thank you too! I think it should work out fine for me. There's only a couple of plugins that I still use that are 32 only. It dawned on me that the ones I use most often are all optional 32/64. And then there's a couple of 64 only ones - I think they're both NI - not sure right now.

I've really pared down and am not reinstalling all the ones I had that I rarely if ever used and don't need.

I think in the future 32bit will be phased out by the plugin developers so it's probably not if but when anyway so here's hoping all goes well.

#347075 - 04/23/16 05:28 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Should I switch DAW from 32 to 64bit? [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Josie you made the right choice!

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#347207 - 04/24/16 07:58 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Should I switch DAW from 32 to 64bit? [Re: Sundance]
JEL Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Sundance
JEL, Thank you too!

You're welcome, good luck smile

#347251 - 04/25/16 04:58 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Should I switch DAW from 32 to 64bit? [Re: Sundance]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I built my DAW when the 64 bit OS was common. I opted to go with XP Pro 32bit. I bought a brand new version of XP from Amazon, since it was already out of production and not for sale in the stores any more.

The main reasons I can see going 64 bit is:

1. You need the larger RAM accessibility for large projects

2. You're willing to upgrade everything to 64 bit...plugs, DAW's, etc...

3. You're starting over or just now starting.

Note: I'm a die hard 32 bit fan... but if I was in the position of #3.... yup... it would be a 64 bit build.

I've never had an issue with #1, and don't feel like going through #2.

There's my 2 cents

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#347285 - 04/25/16 01:02 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Should I switch DAW from 32 to 64bit? [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Pensacola, Florida
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
You can install both the 32-bit and the 64-bit version of Reaper (as well as most other DAWs - Sonar, MultiTrack Studio (MTS), MixCraft, Tracktion, etc).

Takes up a little more disk space, but is definitely an option, especially if you find some incompatibility. And generally the songs you create can be opened in either version. And since some content is shared between the two (such as any included libraries), you do save some disk space there.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28456 Members
58 Forums
55296 Topics
460695 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
jeM, Masaladosa, jonny1, rikkyj, tbeach

28456 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 371
Pipeline 342