Band-in-a-Box for Windows
W
Will_3 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
Best way to connect PC to PA ?

I'm wondering how you guys connect your PC to your PA system?

I've made up a rig of adaptors and cables to go from the small connector on the sound card to a "pair" of standard quarter inch jacks... and plugging those into my Amp... but I'm getting a lot of noise along with the sound.

And... is the Sound Out connector on a typical PC sound card a 1/8 or 3/32 stereo female jack?

And the ultimate question... What is the best way to get professional quality sound out of your PC for a live rehearsal or performance?

Thanks for any help.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Best way to connect PC to PA ?

I'm wondering how you guys connect your PC to your PA system?

I've made up a rig of adaptors and cables to go from the small connector on the sound card to a "pair" of standard quarter inch jacks... and plugging those into my Amp... but I'm getting a lot of noise along with the sound.

The earphone jack on the standard laptop is electrically equivalent to an unbalanced stereo line output. Use of adaptors to break the signal out to L and R channels and then into any set of Line Level inputs on your PA will yield a very good result. (TIP: When doing this, make sure that the software mixer of your laptop has the Master and Wav, Software MIDI synth, outputs turned all the way up! This will drive the line the hardest, which is what we need here, for lowest signal to noise ratio and fullest sound. Get your volume level at the PA with the hardware fader.)

Quote:

And... is the Sound Out connector on a typical PC sound card a 1/8 or 3/32 stereo female jack?

Actually, most of them today are likely to be metric, but the 1/8" size will usually work.

Quote:

And the ultimate question... What is the best way to get professional quality sound out of your PC for a live rehearsal or performance?

Thanks for any help.

If your laptop is fairly new, there really is not a good enough advantage to buying an aftermarket soundcard for playback of programs like BIAB. This is because today's laptops are shipping with very good D-A output converters in them due to the customer demands to watch (and hear) multimedia.

*ANy noise you experience is likely due to an AC GROUND LOOP. Use of a Radio Shack Ground Loop Isolator between laptop output and PA will safely eliminate that noise. Less than $20US

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
If you're using a laptop the ground loop is pretty much a given. But you are talking about a PC sound card.

Another potential source of hum twixt PC and PA is cheap audio cables. I had a nasty buzz coming from my DAW into my studio system until I trashed several 22-gauge Y-cords and multiple adapters for heavily-shielded brand-name home-theater grade AV cables. No more electrical noise. (And they look really cool!)

A surge protector with EMI/RFI filtering is a good idea, too, to keep hum from coming in on the AC line.

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Expert
Expert
Hi Will,

Lots of great advice above which you need to use

When all this is done make sure that before each time you connect up you clean all jacks as they get smeared up with general handling (Perspiration/grime) and can bridge the seperators and also cause hum

A clean cloth and occaisionally an electrical contact cleaner fluid followed by a dry cloth wipe over works best
jazzman

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Zoo computer with 7i processor- SSD 1TB -2TB HDD
Roland keyboards
Apprentice
Apprentice
Try buying a two prong power cable converter that eliminates the ground wire. I have a older laptop which I have connected to a Peavy KB300 watt Amp, equivillant to a PA System. When I first started using it as a stand-alone system, I got line noise. I went to this forum a got a suggestion for a fix from a user and it works great. The fix cost about $2.00.

Veteran
Veteran
I use a USB to Audio interface. They are reasonably priced, the bandwidth is better than the audio jack on the sound card (higher fidelity), there is none of that loose connection static you get if you accidentally touch the audio jack, and I've never had a hum or ground loop issue with it.

I have a couple of different Edirol models. The low-end UA-1A works fine. I think that one has been discontinued, but there is probably another low priced alternative.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Expert
Expert
G'day Notes,
Quote:

I use a USB to Audio interface. <snip> ...and I've never had a hum or ground loop issue with it.

Thant's a very good and interesting point. I thought about it for a moment then I remembered: the USB interface is a current loop - NO ground reference, therefore (probably) no ground connection thus no ground (or earth) loop therefore no interference from it.

A little more expensive than a ground lift/disconnection but potentially safer...

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I use a USB to Audio interface . . . and I've never had a hum or ground loop issue with it.

Notes

I had a bad hum in my portable system, which was comprised of a Compaq laptop and a TASCAM US-224 Audio/MIDI USB interface, which wouldn't go away until I used the two-prong adapter hack, so USB can't be the entire answer (unless I completely misunderstand the issue, which seems to be happening a lot lately . . . ) Never had it in a desktop except for the cheap cords I mentioned in my original post.

R.

Expert
Expert
G'day Rich,
I went and did a little more reading... I was mistaken, USB isn't actually a true current loop signal, it is an Asynchronous an/or Isochronous differential NRZI (Non Return To Zero Interface) encoding system using voltage reference between the D+ and D- wires. Now, while there is no actual ground reference in the data signal, the Data lines are tied to voltage sources that are referenced to "ground". If this "ground" is tied to the external ground somehow, then a ground loop is still possible, in a round bout fashion.

In addition, there is a 5V and ground extended up the USB cable for powering downstream devices.

So much for gettin' all excited there...

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Apprentice
Apprentice
Another way around AC noise is to run a laptop from batteries only. You need backups that are charged and ready to rock. That got old, and I got a Radial I/O box that accepts multiple L/R lead lines and outputs L/R balanced signals with pad boost options and ground lift button. It's the PRO AV2 box, but it sounds like there are cheaper options. This costs around a $100 as I recall, and has the options of flexible source input connectors inluding 1/8th" 1/4" mono and stereo. It's simple and is very quiet.

DrDuBose
"Gettin' a life."

music at
http://www.bandmix.com/drdubose
Veteran
Veteran
I also hook everything on stage to one outlet and I put a TrippLite power conditioner between the wall outlet and all my gear.

The power conditioner keeps the spikes and the voltage sags out of my equipment, and makes them all last longer.

Also, I play one-nighters, sometimes in places with less than ideal AC voltage supply and I've never had a ground loop problem. The only hum I've ever gotten is the mild hum from stage lighting from time to time. And it's so low that it is easy to ignore.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
That Tripplite can suppress transient surges and the like, provided the internal MOVs aren't worn out, but it won't do a thing to help with brownouts. Likely doesn't have to, either.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Yeh - a good isolating transformer with a brick-wall surge suppressor and an uninterruptible power supply, that's the ticket. Belt, suspenders, staples, superglue, mebbe some rivets . . . da whole wazoo. Shouldn't run ya more than a couple grand. Oh, wait, and a generator, just in case. Yeh.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
16 bux for the Radio Shack Audio Isolation Transformer will do the trick nicely enough for any laptop and PA out there.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
If I remember my AC theory (it's been years since I went to college), a transformer resists changes in voltage, both dips and surges will be held steady, as long as they are of short duration.

The info that came with the Power Conditioner says both transient dips and surges will be suppressed. According to Tripp Lite, "Extends the useful life of connected equipment by providing optimum voltage conditions for enhanced efficiency and cooler internal operating temperatures. Reliable transformer-based voltage correction circuits maintain 120V nominal output during voltage fluctuations between 89 and 147V."

I would love to bring a UPS, but the size (and weight) needed for the power amp and everything else is just too excessive.

But I do think the Power Conditioner is worth it's weight in gold.

My gear lasts a long time, when the AC or ice machine kicks in I don't get that short dimming of the lights, and unlike a UPS, I still get a sine wave AC - which I am sure the audio gear likes better.

Notes

J
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
J
I am running a Asus laptop x7515 to a Sanson expedition 150 PA. The lap top has Bluetooth and what I want to do is get some sort of monitor/mic. If I could use a Bluetooth headset like this-http://www.staples.ca/en/Blueparrott-B350-XT-Bluetooth-Headset/product_1678678_2-CA_1_20001 I could eliminate a microphone and stand I had planned to get for introducing my songs. The ear piece could be my monitor as well ?

Veteran
Veteran
justthesaxman

This is a good question, but probably best placed in a new thread, as it deals with something slightly more unique (bluetooth), and resurrecting a 6 or 7 year old thread mightn't be the best place to get all of the answers you could achieve.

If you wish, feel free to start a new thread on the bluetooth setup you're looking for.

Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Hey Bob,

Good points that I also agree with...Power Conditioners solve many issues, and I always have them in my rack equipment. You never know what kind of power you are plugging into away from your studio or home.

Additionally, there is another product I have used for audio signals called the "Hum Eliminator" by EBTECH, made in the USA. These have worked well for me in many situations, especially when taking line outputs from various amplifiers or devices. The units use smart jacks that auto convert between balanced and unbalanced lines, have no power requirements and come in two channel (two-in, two-out)TRS, 2 channel TRS/XLR, and single space 8 channel rack mount TRS and XLR units. Most of the music stores carry these products.

Veteran
Veteran
I've used the Ebtech hum eliminator, the TripLite AC filter, and/or the Radio Shack isolation RCA cable as needed.

The one thing I WON'T do is connect a laptop to a PA using a 1/8" (or metric) headphone jack. Way too much potential for terrible, sudden noise.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Good point Matt. I should have (clarified in my case) from my desk top or lap top systems, for that matter, I use Firewire to connect to either my Edirol or Presonus units. Plus, the units are in an environment (within a rack roll-around case), that don't expose any cables other than a power cable and heavy duty signal cables to the exterior of the case. In addition to the audio (TRS/XLR) distribution, they all go through a patch panel (studio or mobile).

If someone really does need to use the mini-jack audio out from a lap top, then I recommend they use a cable with a mini-jack on one end and TRS, XLR or ? at the other. And, tape/secure the mini-jack at the laptop to help prevent it coming loose. Mini-plug adapters (e.g, non-cable), in my opinion put too much strain on an already fragile laptop connector.

Richard

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,477
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195