Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I bought a new USB keyboard and it plays in bBiaB, but when I try to use a VST in the thru track, it does not give any sound. Also, I tried the Midi Keyboard wizard enabled, but it does not makes any difference... The only sound I can make work is the ordinary midi patches...

Any Idea what I have overlooked ?

Forever Grateful, BUT, sometimes pissed of. wink
Trygve "Leo" Larsen
BiaB 2020, Windows 8.1, Intel Core i5 CPU, 270GHz, 32 Gb RAM
My OLD tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen My NEW is unpublished
The Universe = Uni-verse ie one song.
Veteran
Veteran
Trygve,

What's the brand and model of your keyboard? If you give the details, we can look it up on the internet and get some thoughts.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
What lead (leads) do you have hooked between the two (the keyboard and the computer), and can you use the keyboard with the computer with other program(s)?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks for the answer guys ! And sorry for not giving enough info !

It's a IRig 37 PRO keyboard. I tried again today on my desktop and was able to get the VST to work by accidentally starting a song, and there it was ! Hehe, did not realize that I actually need to play a song in BiaB for the VST to give sound...

But again, the Midi wizard stil does not work after enable it ! Am I overlooking something "obvious" again ?

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
My OLD tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen My NEW is unpublished
Veteran
Veteran
I also have this keyboard. If you don't need weighted keys, it's a nice size for the desk.

It has nothing to do with VSTi; my system uses a hardware synth as MIDI Out. This is just a peculiarity of BIAB that you have to Play first.

What do you mean by "MIDI Wizard"?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
He means the PC keyboard "wizard" - it is not an external keyboard wizard. it uses the bottom two rows of a PC keyboard

"Wizard Playalong Feature

The Wizard is an intelligent play along feature that is controlled with the bottom two rows of your computer’s QWERTY keyboard or your connected MIDI keyboard. The bottom row of keys plays chord tones; the second row plays passing tones. You play any key in either row and never make a mistake! The Wizard keys are active during playback.

How To Turn The Wizard On/Off

To use this feature, press the [MIDI] toolbar button and enter a check for MIDI Keyboard Wizard Enabled."

Larry

PS - I have iRig Keys Pro (37 full size) as well. Surprisingly good keyboard (synth keyboard) action as well as being desk size friendly!

Just got a Roland A49 (came for an extra $29 with Integra 7 from Kraft music- they have some nice bundle deals!).

EDIT

Actually I didn't need yet ANOTHER keyboard (I have two 88's weighted and a 79 synth action and the iRig 37 - and I play guitar not keys!), but has a few minor "ready to directly use" with Integra7 features and they were essentially giving it away so WTH.

EDIT (it wasn't free I forgot I paid $29 extra for it - this is just two weeks ago and I already forgot - I'm really getting old!)

It plays very well also - but I truly HATE the combo "mod and pitch shift" "wheel" and I've never like the D beam controller that's on it. The mod wheel function on the A49/88 doesn't stay where you put it - it's spring loaded like the pitch "wheel."

But that aside it allows you to directly select SN on the Integra, and has a 5-Pin MIDI out connection (but you STILL have to power the keyboard over USB somehow). it's ~foot longer and ~ 1.5 inches less depth than an iRig Keys Pro.

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 05/15/16 01:07 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Oh yes, I use the PC keyboard wizard often, but haven't recently. I'll give it a try.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
@Larry; "He means the PC keyboard "wizard" - it is not an external keyboard wizard. it uses the bottom two rows of a PC keyboard"
Oh, so it works only on the PC keyboard???? That's a bit strange... I mean, they make the PC keyboard play midi and do this "miracle" and cannot let that work also for external Midi Keyboard???? Hm... Might be something for the wishlist then.... Anyway, thank's a lot for the inputs...

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
Veteran
Veteran
Certain features in PGMusic products work only with the default synth selected, not the 'extra' drive ports. These features seem to default to the selected default hardware MIDI port 1 (and only this one).
No VSTi or DXi options.

In my experience, PC Keyboard and Animated Drum window (among others) seem to have this quirk.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I looked further into it, and it turns out that an external Midi Keyboard can also be used, and it works for me ! This it what the Help menu says; "The Wizard is an intelligent play along feature that is controlled with the bottom two rows of your computer’s QWERTY keyboard or your connected MIDI keyboard. The bottom row of keys plays chord tones; the second row plays passing tones. You play any key in either row and never make a mistake! The Wizard keys are active during playback."

It's just that we have to enable also one more place, as the Help says; "If you also want to use the Melody Wizard on MIDI notes, go to Preferences [Transpose] and enable "Allow Melody Wizard on THRU part" in the Settings for transposing songs when loaded or "Do it Now" dialog."

But I find it a little overstated that; "You play any key in either row and never make a mistake!"

Maybe I still need to work on it, but when I played along, I heard a lot of notes that sounded way out !

And yes, I also did this; "In the Play menu, toggle Wizard uses "Smart" notes to "off" (unchecked) to have the Wizard provide you access to the chromatic scale. Toggle it "on" to have access only to the notes based on the chord/key of the song."

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
Veteran
Veteran
Be sure you have the channel assignments correct....

Have you tried this in a DAW to see if it works there? I hear that some things don't work in BB and RB that do work properly in a DAW, regarding VST's.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Nope, I don't have any other DAW's, so can't try... Anybody else have?

Trygve "Leo" Larsen
Veteran
Veteran
First you did get your iRig Keyboard to function in BIAB, correct? (it was that little gotcha' "hit play (or record)" to actually allow iRig MIDI notes to be sent, by BAIB, to your selected VSTi(s)to trigger sounds)

Second you really need at LEAST one other "DAW" like program - so when things seem weird or act weird in RB/BIAB you have another program to see if you can repeat issue.

http://www.musictech.net/2015/10/the-5-best-freeware-daws/

http://routenote.com/blog/the-10-best-free-daws-available/

Actually I think some (most) of the above are TRIAL DAW's not really free forever but...

Finally, take heart you are correct: I hear quite a few BAD notes, not as many as "in-tune" notes using the PC keyboard bottom row, with a once in a while use of the second row up (passing tones),
with the keyboard wizard no matter how configured but enough to make me think I'm doing something wrong.

I've never had luck with the PC keyboard wizard - I remember it never seemed right to me so I have never really played with it after first attempt back in my BIAB DOS (or did that function first appear in BIAB win 3.1?)! So until playing with that function today, it's been well over 20+ years since I've even given that function a look or a try!

And FORGET about using an external Keyboard for this function. If this is supposed to be for a keyboard or music novice then the function should have kept chord tones and passing tones physically separated on the keyboard - not interspersed like a REAL melody line using chord/scale/mode notes - or at least all white notes for chord tones and all black notes for passing tones or similar break down)

I read the PG Help file [for others reading this: BIAB Help, Search tab, type "Wizard" and it is the second entry down: "Wizard Play along Feature"] but in practice it's not what it says nor does it function as implied, unless there is a caveat they forgot to mention (e.g., this only works for SGUs and not MGUs, or only "this or that" type song, or you can only play quarter or half notes - timing wise).

Maybe this is one to report to maybe Peter or some one at PG will drop in here to BETTER explain "how to" (shouldn't be hard - only need to use the bottom row of PC keys to test or demonstrate, right?)

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,570
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199