#352347 06/01/16 12:49 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Is it possible to start with auditioning a RealDrum and add just a Bass to create a Style?

I've been finding a complete style and then muting all the other instruments and creating a Style for the song. File>StyleMaker>Save current song (except muted instruments) as a style.

"When you help somebody else you are really helping yourself"
dga #352352 06/01/16 01:37 PM
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
The simplest way I have found is to find a style, any style, that matches your requirements, such as even / swing, 8 / 16, genre (country, jazz, rock etc) tempo. Just pick one that is close.

Copy and rename it. It doesn't have to be in the bb library, but there's no harm either.

Then import the instruments from other styles that you want. You can add your RD from the misc tab

Basically you are creating a hybrid style, so you can watch the video for that to get more ideas.

BIAB for Windows Version 2019 (643)
Windows 10 (1909)
dga #352355 06/01/16 02:07 PM
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
dga #352364 06/01/16 03:00 PM
Veteran
Veteran
If you already know a RealDrum Style that works, try loading a "blank" style and then add each realTrack as you see fit.

I use this method 99% of the time to get a style that works well with what I am looking for.

You can then search the RealTracks for genre, tempo and feel to match closer to what you are looking for.

Trax

D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Originally Posted By: Muzic Trax
If you already know a RealDrum Style that works, try loading a "blank" style and then add each realTrack as you see fit.

I use this method 99% of the time to get a style that works well with what I am looking for.

You can then search the RealTracks for genre, tempo and feel to match closer to what you are looking for.

Trax

Yes Muzic Trax this is what I want to do. How do you load a "Blank" style?

I've tried setting the preferences to open with no song, or style, but I keep getting a blank song with _JAZFRED.STY loaded in the style box.

I then mute the piano, select the realdrum style I want to use, add a Bass RealTrack in that style and Save File>StyleMaker> Save song (except Muted Instruments) as a style, name it and go from there. This is all I need to back up my acoustic guitar singer/songwriter stuff.

Last edited by dga; 06/01/16 06:13 PM.

D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Problems with most of the BIAB videos? They are using a very old version of the program. They go way too fast, clicking buttons, moving the mouse to this point and that.. I have to watch the video 5 times, or keep pausing the video looking back and forth between my BIAB version and the video to try and see the label on the buttons, to catch what I need to know. If PG wants people to continue to upgrade each year, change a bunch of these videos to the latest version. Especially the basic ones. I know I was lost watching a bunch of 2009 videos when I was on 2015.

Last edited by dga; 06/03/16 06:55 PM.

dga #352645 06/03/16 09:16 PM
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dga

Problems with most of the BIAB videos? They are using a very old version of the program. They go way too fast, clicking buttons, moving the mouse to this point and that.. I have to watch the video 5 times, or keep pausing the video looking back and forth between my BIAB version and the video to try and see the label on the buttons, to catch what I need to know. If PG wants people to continue to upgrade each year, change a bunch of these videos to the latest version. Especially the basic ones. I know I was lost watching a bunch of 2009 videos when I was on 2015.

Yes, it must be a huge task for PGM staff to update videos and documentation every year to keep abreast of the product features. It will be a major task for them for 2017 when they release the all new version with the completely revised and totally updated User Interface...

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Apprentice
Apprentice
Quite correct VideoTrack.

Problem is, few companies devote adequate resources to proper documentation--note the word, "proper." In theory, this entire forum should only be about sharing great songs and ideas on how to use BIAB. Most of the forum is devoted to explaining how to use the program. Why? Because documentation is what it is, including the videos. To be honest (and as an old guy raised on Basic A and Fortran), I'm not sure it's possible to easily document everything in a sophisticated program like BIAB. Most applications today are way beyond the average user.

I am a technical writer and technical writing instructor at a college in Toronto. I was shocked when I opened my BIAB product and found a small hardcopy manual! Hats off to Peter and the team for this. The small manual is written primarily in a tutorial style, which is the least desirable of the two most common formats: tutorial and user's guide. The videos help, but all this costs money. It becomes a balancing act between budget and keeping customers happy.

I rewrote several manuals for a Toronto-based company. The manuals described how to use very complex laser guided autofocus systems for microscopes. They employed 23 engineers, 30 percent of whom spent the better part of their day at the Help desk. Why? Because the manuals were garbage. After my two year contract, I had rewritten all their user's guides and reference manuals (a huge task). The Help desk activity dropped by 50 percent.

I tried to get a job at Yorkville Sound as a technical writer. Their engineers and secretaries write the manuals, and it shows. I bought a powered mixer from them and found nine mistakes in the first ten lines of the manual!!

Peter's documentation needs some work, but again, hats off to him for spending some money on videos and documentation. I would love to know what program he used for writing his manuals. I tried opening the online PDF manual (after conversion) into MS Word, and the program crashed! MS Word is pretty poor at the best of times. Peter may have used FrameMaker or InDesign.

Gear: Tyros 5, MOX8, SoundCraft EFX12 mixer, two Bose L1 Compacts, Yamaha HS-8 monitors, BIAB 2016 UltraPlusPAK, Cubase 8, Steinberg UR-44 interface.

"If everyone played a musical instrument, we wouldn't need police officers or armies." Lee B.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
It will be a major task for them for 2017 when they release the all new version with the completely revised and totally updated User Interface...

Tried to slip that one in thinking no one would notice grin.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Journeyman
Journeyman
We noticed. chuckled and moved on.

Dell 610 dual Monitor, win 7-10, Sonar Plat, ProTools 10 & 11, Reaper 4, BIAB/real Band 2022, Easy Drummer, Superior Drummer, Kontact Essentials, Personnel Orchestra, Korg Legacy Analog & Digital
dga #352777 06/04/16 02:05 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Open the style menu and simply type in blank in the search box. There are 4/4 and 3/4 blank styles which allow Biab to set up with the correct timing. Then you add whichever Realtracks you see fit for your song.

Trax

D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Originally Posted By: earl kirby
We noticed. chuckled and moved on.

I read it, CHOKED and said no, I can't learn another new thing.

dga #352795 06/04/16 04:03 PM
D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
@Lee

When I first purchased BIAB I tried to learn it using the videos, and the helpless files. No luck, finally David Snyder invited me over to his house and showed me the ropes.

Documentation, new help files,new videos are needed. Just the number and diversity of the questions on this forum indicate this.

I'm learning a lot of features by making mistakes, that's not good.

dga #352796 06/04/16 04:18 PM
Veteran
Veteran
While I've watched a few videos, pretty much all I have learnt about BIAB has come from the manual and playing around. These forums have also been very useful with extending my knowledge.

While I haven't used it, Youtube, and the BIAB users on there, is also another great resource that forum users often refer to.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
dga #352797 06/04/16 04:27 PM
D
dga Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
D
Where is the manual?

dga #352803 06/04/16 04:50 PM
Veteran
Veteran
It's in the \bb folder and is called "Band-in-a-Box 2016 Manual.pdf"

In Window 7, there is a shortcut to the manual under the Start Menu and 'Band In A Box' folder.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Are we stirring the pot a little early this year? wink

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
Are we stirring the pot a little early this year? wink

Larry

Well, no good waiting until December. Maybe I was a little too subtle? wink

dga #352847 06/05/16 04:38 AM
Apprentice
Apprentice
I agree, DGA. There are two fundamental requirements of good documentation:

* The information must be usable (Written to the correct audience, understandable, and usable by all.)
* Retrievable (Can users find the information?)

Technical writing is probably the lowest priority in any company budget. It takes a lot of convincing to show management that their developers' time is better spent, well, "developing" not answering questions that a well written manual should address. I believe the philosophy is, "We have a computer and a word processor. We can write our own manuals." Nothing could be further from the truth. A computer and word processor are merely tools. If I own $50,000 in cabinet making tools, does it automatically mean can I build fine walnut furniture?

I'm drifting from the original topic, but there seems to be a legitimate concern about the documentation. I will finish by saying, when you let developers write the manuals, you have made a fundamental error--that is, the users' schemata (how they commonly process information) often doesn't match that of the developers'. To write programs and code takes an advanced and logical mind set. Most users do not come close to that type of schemata, hence, anything the developer documents is likely to be totally misunderstood. For the life of me, I can't find my way around LinkedIn and Facebook. My navigational schemata just won't permit it. What does this mean? The folks who built those sites think one way, and I think another. Are they wrong? No, just different. However, their developers have missed the mark. The younger generation usually have no issue with those two sites. I'm 63 years old, which means I was weaned with a slide rule, not a Pentium IV!

I'm not putting in a plug for my skills, however, if Peter is interested (and for the benefit of all) I would be more than happy to perform a usability analysis of the documentation, starting with the online PDF manual. Such a study involves a usability chart developed by my colleague at IBM. It provides a quantitative assessment of "how ready" the document is for release. It also points out specific areas that need to be fixed.

Gear: Tyros 5, MOX8, SoundCraft EFX12 mixer, two Bose L1 Compacts, Yamaha HS-8 monitors, BIAB 2016 UltraPlusPAK, Cubase 8, Steinberg UR-44 interface.

"If everyone played a musical instrument, we wouldn't need police officers or armies." Lee B.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Lee Batchelor

I'm drifting from the original topic,

I'm 63 years old, which means I was weaned with a slide rule, not a Pentium IV!

OK with me to drift abit. This slide rule comment caught my attention.

You and me are the same age, but besides seeing my Dad with his Slide Rule I never actually used one. High School was a blur and I went to college in my mid 20's. But by then the first wave of calculators was becoming available and I quickly latched on. By my first year in Grad School I had a Commodore 64 which I was writing code to do linear regressions and charting. Can honestly say I have not seen a slide rule since it was in the hands of my Dad who is long passed away - by the way he was an IBM Service Engineer. I wonder what ever happened to that?

Ok, back to topic now. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199