Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions.

Since my old system's Win 7 is no longer activated MS will not allow the 10 upgrade so the issue of the upgrade getting stuck in the middle of the install is irrelevant now.

The reason that machine went from being activated to not being activated is really unknown. I found that article talking about pirate servers but I don't know if it's correct or not but it sounds plausible. Otherwise, I've found many articles concerning people contacting MS to get their activation back and they're all consistent. The answer is Sorry Charlie you need a valid key and that's it.

To the suggestion to pick up a key off Ebay, that's interesting. Here's the only listing I've found that seems to make sense:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-7-Home-Premium-Product-Key-64-32-Bit-COA-License-Key-Sticker-/222153245839?hash=item33b95d848f:g:5l0AAOSwMNxXYGrO

This listing has a disclaimer at the very bottom talking about how they have to sell the key with the hardware it goes with. I guess they're shipping out a bad HD with it. Since the listing itself says this is a new, unused key that kinda makes sense. There are other listings but they all say they will send the key by message, nothing physical. That sounds flaky to me. Everybody wants about $25.

The question is do I want to spend $25 for what is claimed is a new unused key just for testing 10 on the old box or forget it and simply upgrade my new system and hope for the best?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Thanks for the suggestions. The question is do I want to spend $25 for what is claimed is a new unused key just for testing 10 on the old box or forget it and simply upgrade my new system and hope for the best? Bob

I would not go with the 25$ Ebay option.
That does not seem prudent to me.

I'd go with the BOLD, buy Win10 and begin anew.
As I see it....it's an eventuality anyway and your at that crossroad.

Back to it.....

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob

1. Still worth a CALL to MS no matter what others say, MS may or may not reactivate thus allowing you to upgrade to Win 10 for free (THEY REALLY want people off 7 and 8 ASAP)

2. If above is "no joy" and I think I get the gist - you are building a new machine anyway?

with new MoBo?

If that's the case you won't need to replace with new shiny model MoBob and CPU in in near future (say 4-5 years? - HW failures aside) if so recommend you buy OEM Win 10 Pro (gives more control over WHEN MS updates are installed - allows Win 10 Home "beta" guinea pig users to find glitches then MS fixes)

it's AT LEAST $60 cheaper - only issue it will then BE TIED to that Motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832588491&cm_re=win_10_pro_OEM-_-32-588-491-_-Product

However, if you are using old MoBo then you may need to, or simply want to, move to new MoBo or CPU (usually means new CPU socket - which always means new MOBO) in next year or two so OEM is NOT the way to go - just get the "full - "high priced spread."

Good luck no matter what

Larry

I'm finally in process adding 3rd boot drive Win 10 Pro - WHAT A PITA - and what fracking TIME SINK. It will many weeks, if not months to get everything re-installed, re-authorized, re-configured, finding all the subtle gotca's - there where more than a few from Win XP to Win 7 and I've already got a few SW& HW (non-DAW HW) ones in Win 10 [that were NOT reported as begin a problem with the pre-install check] and finally getting it 100% useable and stable for ALL my work!

Can't wait until ~2020-2022 when I suspect it will happen all over again there will be a new chapter in a better tomorrow with "Win 10 Mod 2" )

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
That's Larry, that's what I'm thinking too. Btw, I'm not changing mobo's or anything. I already bought a very nice used Zotec Zbox PC like this:

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?p=MB...CFYZefgodOtoDjA

What's cool about this system is it's not using a mobile chip, it's a regular Intel 4770. Mine came loaded with a 256 gig SSD, a 500 gig HD, 16gigs of Ram and Win 7 for $600 but of course now I wonder if it's genuine Win 7. I'm thinking I might just clone the drive and try the upgrade and see what happens. If it flames out like my old box did I'll take your advice and buy Win 10 Pro.

My problem is I have too many mission critical projects going on for the next 10 days to mess with this any further right now. Must have a working PC.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

If you haven't done a clean install of 7, you might be able to find the key using this,

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
L
Expert
Expert
L
After reading these posts, I decided to give the Windows Insider Beta Programme tester option a miss. No need to bring undue misery down on myself. No real problems with 10 so far except the Start Button fiasco which I've mentioned elsewhere.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm baaaakk!

I'm also disgusted. Finally had some free time today so now I'm working on my new Win7 machine, not the old one in the title of this thread. Still no go.

This time I disabled my Avast, unplugged all external USB stuff and went through the upgrade process. Three times. It seems to go well but somewhere around 50-70% it suddenly stops and I get a notice across the bottom of the screen saying it's restoring my previous version of windows and I'm back to my Win7 desktop.

Windows Update gives me an error. This time it's not about my OS not being activated, that issue seems ok, no this time I can't find any specific definition of that error, just random posts talking about possibly going into the list of updates, cleaning all that out, doing many more things I won't go into here and trying it again. The other answer I found talks about using the Media Creation Tool to create the iso file and install it manually from that but nobody is actually explaining what that error is. The problem is there's a bunch of different errors people get and the answers are basically the same, check the BIOS, make sure blah, blah, blah, use the Media tool, blah, blah. All a bunch technobabble.

Seriously? Why does it seem like I'm jinxed here? The vast majority of articles and posts I've read all over the internet say they simply clicked on the update, ran through it and everything is just peachy.

What am I, chopped liver or what? Sometimes free isn't free.

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob

I've lost bubble on which Win 7 machine is which but if you have one working Win 7 and one trashed Win 7

However, since clock is ticking, and assuming you still want free Win 10, then create a Win 10 bootable USB device, I wouldn't do DVD, using media creation tool. It is straight forward (but needs web access) takes longer than I would have thought (on avg around 10-20 min's depending)
THEN JUST DO A CLEAN Win 10 install onto your crapped out Win 7 machine. Once you have it installed try authorizing with OLD Win 7 Key code (the one from trashed machine - it MAY authorize with it now). If not use Key from working Win 7 - your working Win 7 machine will continue to work.

Yes a clean install is a nothing less than a major, and ROYAL, PITA. I'm three weeks in and still tweaking, configuring, and getting everything to play nice with everything else.

I DELETED my color commentary on USEFULNESS of this “upgrade.”

All it does, for me anyway, is avoid yet another unsupported OS for a few additional years. Don't buy into web hype, Win 10 is NOT the "last" OS, not even last OS for the next decade.

Good luck no matter what you end up doing.
Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Larry. I've been for Win10 because I know people who have it and like it plus it's "supposed" to be a better, faster and more secure OS. This hassle with this so called free upgrade is really annoying. I've read so many things like after it's downloaded and it's started installing you should disconnect from the internet and stuff like that. There are whole lists of stuff to do to get the damn thing to install.

Btw, I'm talking about my new machine now. I'm leaving the old one alone. It isn't trashed, it still runs fine it's just that I have maybe a week left until the 30 days runs out and I lose some functionality and from what I've read that's pretty minor, the system should still work ok. I just can't get any more updates without a proper key.

And have I said I'm BUSY lately? That's what makes this such a pisser. I set aside today to get this done and I just wasted another day. Tomorrow I'm heading out of town for the weekend so it will be another week before I can try this again. I really don't have time to have to research this and figure out how to bypass these problems ya know? Why can't I simply click on the upgrade button like everybody else?

Sigh.

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I feel your pain. I hate it when computers don't do what they are supposed to do.

I had two out of 3 stall, I had to wipe out all they downloaded and re-download (took all day) but nothing compared to your dilemma.

This is the first time I've ever upgraded an OS on a computer. I usually wait until I need a new computer, and get the upgrade with that. But like you, I heard that Win10 is better, faster, and more secure.

Faster? I think so but with no scientific measuring tools, it's really hard to say.

More secure? I'll have to take their word for that.

But I do like Win10. A right click on the windows icon in the task bar gets me to a lot of things like disk management, task manager, and a dozen other functions that I used rarely, so I forgot which hoops to jump through to get to them.

I also like being able to pin my most frequently used apps to the start menu.

And yes, Win8.1 used to occasionally crash on me - Win10 hasn't crashed yet.

So when you finally get there, I think you will be pleased with the results.

Good luck.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My niece had the same problem when upgrading her mother's computer. After I manually deleted all of the add on toolbars like the Google toolbar, the free crap (mostly trial programs) and disabled the anti-virus all went well. You may have a program or toolbar that is not Win 10 compatible.

I hope this helps.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well, now I think I screwed the pooch. As careful as I am I think I just got scammed. I just tried Win 10 again, disabled Avast and Windows Defender and this time when it finally started the full install I even unplugged the cable from my router so there is no interference from the internet and still, it kicked out to Win 7 at 93% same as before.

This time I did more searches on that error message and found what looked like an official MS website called Microsoftonlinechat.com This site looks completely legit as a real MS site so I started a chat session, they asked for a remote session which I authorized and after some stuff that I watched on my screen I'm told that there's a whole list of "polymorphic viruses" going back to 2014 and this is what's causing the Win 10 install problems and guess what? They can fix it all for only $199.99 for unlimited support or $79.99 for a one time fix. I wrote I thought I was talking to an official MS person and was told everybody is MS certified and they can fix the problem but they did not say they were officially MS. I said that's too bad, goodby and disconnected.

My question of course is obvious. Anybody heard of this, is this a legit MS offer or it this one of those scam websites? I've said all along I have no problem with just buying Win 10 and starting over. It's looking like that is next because I just gave who knows who full access to this system thinking it was Microsoft.

I just let Avast do a full scan, then disabled it and turned on Security Essentials and had it do a full scan and both found nothing. It's possible this sales thing is legitimate I suppose. Just because they tried to sell me on this doesn't mean they're also a bunch of hackers who installed trojans but it's worrisom.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 07/10/16 09:30 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I just tried Win 10 again, disabled Avast and Windows Defender and this time when it finally started the full install I even unplugged the cable from my router so there is no interference from the internet ...

My experience is Win 10 (initial install and all subsequent updates) demands a lot of bandwidth and takes it as it needs - even appears to lock for periods as it downloads. To disconnect from the internet during an install is bound to cause problems. But this is just my experience with Win10.

Actually updated one of the last of my Win7 machines (dual core, 6 meg Ram) this morning. All went smooth as silk and it completed successfully an hour ago. But I just looked over at the machine and the screen is black. I rebooted and still no display.... cry Guess I have joined the club. Again.

... one of those scam websites?

A quick google will likely confirm your fears. There are a host of these sites which MS has taken legal actions against.
MS Sues Tech Support Scammers

Last edited by jazzmandan; 07/10/16 11:41 AM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan
Actually updated one of the last of my Win7 machines (dual core, 6 meg Ram) this morning. All went smooth as silk and it completed successfully an hour ago. But I just looked over at the machine and the screen is black. I rebooted and still no display.... cry Guess I have joined the club. Again.

OK, I got it fixed. Swapped monitors but no fix. Thought I had a bad video driver which win10 did not like. But, then a simpler fix was found. This machine has an external USB Hard Drive for "data only" attached 24/7. When I removed this from the machine and rebooted all was good. I then reconnected and a driver was install and the drive is working.

Didn't want to steal your thread. Just letting you know sometimes you just have to sit back, take a deep breath and think about it. Good luck.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yeah. Deep breath. Here's the latest and it's unfriggenbelievable. Before anybody asks, I used the same procedure, everything is unplugged, the AV is off, and after it's all downloaded I unplugged the ethernet cable.

Yesterday I created an account with Microsoft. I made sure it really was MS. Logged in with Chat. She did the same thing the other person did, used the same Rescue program to log in and take over my machine. She checked everything as I watched and said it's all good, no sign of anything bad going on so it appears the first company was ok in that regard. MS then told me that all the updates were not installed and that is the problem. I've always for years now accepted and installed all the important and/or critical updates but not the optional ones unless a specific app requires that. Example, years ago one program needed the .net framework so I installed that update. She said that's not good enough you have to have ALL updates installed including the optional ones. Ok, fine.

Oh, once this was all done she tried to sell me their Assure program for $149.99 per year. I politely declined and she accepted that response.

Anyway since she said this could take a while we agreed to cancel the session, I would install 32 optional updates then try Win 10 again. I just did that now. First, the process was different than before. Now I have the Windows white logo in the task bar so I used it and downloaded the files again, it went through the initial install again and I get an error...again. Different error this time. I did another check for updates and sure enough a brand new security definitions one is there so I installed it, rebooted and tried yet again. This time I go further than I just did and I get to the black screen with the big circle showing the progress percentage and what happened?

THE SAME FRIGGIN THING AS YESTERDAY. I GET TOSSED OUT TO MY PREVIOUS WIN 7 INSTALL WITH THE SAME DAMNED ERROR NUMBER.

What the *&^&(^%$#()$#G is going on here??

I swear I have had it with this [*****]. yes [*****], [*****], [*****].

What the hell???

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 07/11/16 07:25 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Ok, believe it or not I think I have been where you are (and I do agree it is not a nice place to be)... So here is my advice.

First, check for updates again. Very often loading one update will then permit you to load a subsequent update. Repeat this process till no further updates appear.

Second, ask yourself what could be different on this machine versus a plain vanilla PC. Any external adapters attached? If so remove them. Any additional PCI cards inserted? Remove them.

Then call MS back. You should have a ticket number that will restart their review process.

It can be a very trying exercise.

Oh, one more thing which I mentioned before. I can't for the life of me understand why you are disconnecting the router. Lack of connection to the internet is a significant reason for MS10 to act up when it is installing and updating.

Last edited by jazzmandan; 07/11/16 07:44 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah. Deep breath. Here's the latest and it's unfriggenbelievable. Before anybody asks, I used the same procedure, everything is unplugged, the AV is off, and after it's all downloaded I unplugged the ethernet cable.

Yesterday I created an account with Microsoft. I made sure it really was MS. Logged in with Chat. She did the same thing the other person did, used the same Rescue program to log in and take over my machine. She checked everything as I watched and said it's all good, no sign of anything bad going on so it appears the first company was ok in that regard. MS then told me that all the updates were not installed and that is the problem. I've always for years now accepted and installed all the important and/or critical updates but not the optional ones unless a specific app requires that. Example, years ago one program needed the .net framework so I installed that update. She said that's not good enough you have to have ALL updates installed including the optional ones. Ok, fine.

Oh, once this was all done she tried to sell me their Assure program for $149.99 per year. I politely declined and she accepted that response.

Anyway since she said this could take a while we agreed to cancel the session, I would install 32 optional updates then try Win 10 again. I just did that now. First, the process was different than before. Now I have the Windows white logo in the task bar so I used it and downloaded the files again, it went through the initial install again and I get an error...again. Different error this time. I did another check for updates and sure enough a brand new security definitions one is there so I installed it, rebooted and tried yet again. This time I go further than I just did and I get to the black screen with the big circle showing the progress percentage and what happened?

THE SAME FRIGGIN THING AS YESTERDAY. I GET TOSSED OUT TO MY PREVIOUS WIN 7 INSTALL WITH THE SAME DAMNED ERROR NUMBER.

What the *&^&(^%$#()$#G is going on here??

I swear I have had it with this [*****]. yes [*****], [*****], [*****].

What the hell???

Bob

The truth is every PC is different so many different variables involved, God only knows if Microsoft can even fix a failed install.

This particular install of 7 I wanted to upgrade to 10, but always fails at around 30% or so. I did have the same OEM on a different partition which did upgrade to 10 no problem, so maybe that is what is being flagged up. I have triple boot on the pc, two of windows 10 and one of 7.

Truth is windows 7 is absolutely fine, I can't even think of one advantage having 10 other than having apps from the windows store, and in lots of cases I think an older PC is more responsive running 7.

I choose 7 as default OS to boot into, only really use 10 as a novelty when I have some spare time.

Don't worry Bob you will appreciate 7 more after all that hassle you have had.

smile

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 07/11/16 08:10 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
One of the "perks" of Win10. They try to keep the updates up for you. When you disconnect from the internet, it gets lost. You may need to stay connected until you resolve your issues.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Truth is windows 7 is absolutely fine, I can't even think of one advantage having 10 other than having apps from the windows store, and in lots of cases I think an older PC is more responsive running 7.

Everybody's system is different, that's true. But...

4 or 5 years ago shortly after Win 8 came out one of Cakewalk's development engineers tested Sonar on it and he really stressed the heck out of it. He reported that 8 was about 13% faster than 7 doing the exact same audio rendering. Plus other processes he tested were faster too. Overall he was very impressed but that's not the biggest thing.

The biggest thing is security. Each OS starts more or less with a clean slate concerning security and how it works with newer hardware like CPU's and mobo's. Each new generation of CPU's have certain security things built into them and they are designed to work with the latest OS to get the most out of it. Real pros in the biz will always recommend to upgrade to the latest and greatest if you can for all sorts of reasons.

Keeping up with all the security updates for 7 does not make it as secure as 8 or now 10. 10 is more secure than 8 so now 7 is two generations out of date. It's rapidly turning into XP as far as being wide open to hackers is concerned.

Even though I'm having a problem right now I do know quite a bit about this stuff which is why this is frustrating the heck out of me. I can usually figure things like this out but man, not this time.

Jazzmandan, the reason for unplugging the router is because that's one of the recommended things to do by MS itself. It's in their Knowledgbase and the girl yesterday confirmed it. Once all the files have downloaded there is no further need to be connected while everything is being installed. Sometimes a new update pops up right in the middle of installing and it could interfere so unplugging prevents that. Also this box is pretty bare. I've not installed any important stuff on it yet. All I've done is set up my emails and Firefox. My plan all along is get 10 on it, check it out then start installing everything one by one and check them out as I go.

Of course now I'm sounding like I know what I'm doing while this thing is kicking my butt so obviously I don't know what I'm doing. You may be right but the first several attempts were made with the router connected so who knows at this point?

For good or ill, I'm one of those types who get their teeth in that bone and I'm not letting go. I WILL GET'R DONE DAMMIT!! Setting this aside for another week is not an option, I will work this into my schedule until it have it. I always have the fallback option of simply buying it and doing a complete wipe but right now I would like to know what the issue is.

Bob

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I have not done an OS upgrade since maybe Windows 3.0 to 3.1! I upgrade my PC every 3-5 years. And by "upgrade" I mean purchase a new one and only keep my monitor and external drives. So I get a new OS that has been pre-installed every time. Prices have tumbled so low now that to me it is just not practical to waste hours and hours and incur massive frustration for something affordable and easy!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,619
Posts735,162
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182