Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#356771 07/09/16 09:11 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is my latest goofy song and the animation that makes it even goofier.

https://youtu.be/RxtRKbvcQBA

It's based on all the online dating horror stories I've heard from friends through the years... stories from guys who ended up with a very negative view of dating and women in general.. so the negative comments are not a reflection of my own attitudes, they're just an exaggerated version of the worst-case scenario.

Lyrics are embedded in the video.
Quote:

Style is _CTRNRGS.STY (Chicken Pickin' Country w/ Guita)

RealTracks in style: ~~592:Bass, Acoustic Bluegrass Doc Ev 100
RealTracks in style: ~~598:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Bluegrass Doc Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 411:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Train Pickin' Ev 130
RealTracks in style: 1880:Guitar, Resonator, Soloist CountryTrainRob Ev16 130
RealDrums in style: NashTrainEv16^1-a:Sticks Snare , b:Sticks Snare 16th

There's a lot of humorous details in the text and sets, and it may take more than one time thru to catch everything.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,

That's brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!!! I'm still laughing smile Everything about this is fantastic. I'm especially blown away by your "50 Shades of Stray" lyrics. They are nothing short of magnificently creative; some of the most unique rhymes I've ever heard anywhere!

You're a talented man Mr Marr!

I'm definitely going to be watching this quite a few more times yet.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pat,

That was a masterpiece of lyrical genius, combined with great skill in creating a video that matches it to perfection. Like I have said before you have a wicked sense of humor, the fact that you are able to showpiece it with such skill is a great joy for me, I fell out of my swivel chair laughing.

Paddy G

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Pat,

Terrific video and great song, LOL!
Funny subject for writing a song about and how true it is.
About the travelling, other countries, bla bla of women on dating sites, Rob knows all about it! wink.
However men, as heard from friends, have the same tendency whistle
The song is very catchy and definitely inviting to sing along!

Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Pat,

This is really, really, really funny. Super job. Just great.

Question: How much was that Muvizu program and how much RAM does it need to work right?? It seems to do a real good job.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Pat,

great song and great video. And you're right: there are so many funny details I had to stop the video several times to have a closer look.
I'm impressed (not only by the impressive teeth of the cats).

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,

This is AWESOME! Love it! Really outstanding...

Bob

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Pat.

Yes, once is certainly not enough. I'm going to need lots more plays before I pick up on everything which is going on here.

One thing I did pick up on straight away is the song itself - very clever in all respects, from the concept to the performance, to the mix. Excellent.

It seems to me that you get more professional with every new video. Having dabbled with Muvizu myself, I can only marvel at the level complexity in this production.

Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

ROG.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I'll send my electric roses to Double Jointed! lol!!

You told an hilarious story in a unique way and there was not one forced line or forced rhyme to be found. Brilliant writing!

Your work on the animation is remarkable and combined with the song is truly artful.

My day is now better for your work and being a part of this community to have been able to participate.

Thank you Pat.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Pat,

That's brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!!! I'm still laughing smile Everything about this is fantastic. I'm especially blown away by your "50 Shades of Stray" lyrics. They are nothing short of magnificently creative; some of the most unique rhymes I've ever heard anywhere!

You're a talented man Mr Marr!

I'm definitely going to be watching this quite a few more times yet.

All the best,
Noel

Aw gee, you make me blush, Noel! But I'm glad it made you laugh, since that's the whole purpose of both song and animation!
Since you're so good about revealing the history of your projects, here's a little history on this:

A couple of years ago at Merlefest a performer named Roy Bookbinder played a humorous song along these lines, and I remember thinking what a great delivery the style was for a funny song. The tempo was lively, and at each verse he revealed some new twist to the story which really captivated my attention. Every time I thought I was already amused, he ramped it up a notch! So the song itself is my attempt at recreating some of his magic.

After my wife died and I finally entered the dating scene, it was around the time when the book "50 Shades Of Gray" was popular, and it was a recurring theme in women's profiles that they were reading the book (I suppose to send an obscure and tantalizing message?)

Since my only goal for these songs and videos is to entertain people on YouTUBE, I figured there needed to be cats. LOTS of cats. So, with all that considered, add in an unhealthy dose of my twisted logic, and you can start to see where the title came from.

Regarding the rhymes: it has been mentioned here on the forum more than once that cliches in lyrics tend to diminish the power of the song's statement... so I try to use totally unexpected rhymes in order to avoid cliches and to say the obvious in an unobvious way.

Thanks for weighing in Noel! I always love to read your insightful comments! And Your most recent song was very well received here in North Carolina! I left a long review!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,

EXCELLENCE ABOUNDS.

Your attention to detail is astounding. Like the Windows opener on the computer..

The blink-change was very clever!

... the "date my mother" camera work was perfect!

"...and a man with enough cash to make it all happen" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Miss Terious. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

The progress bar on the rose was over-the-top!!!!!

You worked the story so well. The double-wide was a nice touch.

The instrumentation is perfect for this type song/story. As good as Larry Groce's "Junkfood Junkie". And the mix is excellent.

The lyric is so well written that it ought to be repeated in the thread, too...

It is a great read and an great example to other writers.

BORED AND LONELY LATE ONE NIGHT ... WAS SURFING ON A DATING SITE
READING PROFILES IN MY USUAL FASHION
THINKIN' THAT THERE REALLY OUGHT... TO BE A GAL WHO'S YOUNG AND HOT
ENOUGH TO TAME MY NASTY REDNECK PASSION

SIFTIN' SAND IN HOPES OF GOLD... 'CAUSE GALS MY AGE ALL LOOK SO OLD
AN' I DIDN'T REALLY WANT TO DATE MY MOTHER
THEY ALL LIKE BEACHES WINE AND TRAVEL,... NO MYSTERIES HERE LEFT TO UNRAVEL
EACH PROFILE READS EXACTLY LIKE THE OTHER

THEN CAME A PHRASE THAT CAUGHT MY EYE,... I COULDN'T LET IT PASS ME BY
2 WORDS WERE ALL SHE'D WRITTEN : “50 SHADES”
I THOUGHT THAT IT WAS KIND OF GROOVY... REFERENCE TO A DIRTY MOVIE
HOPING THAT THIS TIME I HAD IT MADE

I SENT HER AN ELECTRIC ROSE... AND ASKED IF SHE WOULD BE OPPOSED
TO MEETING ME TO SEE IF WE MIGHT CLICK
I HOPED SHE'D BE THE CAT'S MEOW, AND FANTASIZED ABOUT JUST HOW
I 'D HANDLE SUCH A LUSTY WANTON CHICK

DROVE UP TO HER DOUBLE WIDE...KNOCKED ON THE DOOR AND WENT INSIDE
WHAT I SAW THAT NIGHT BLEW ME AWAY
CATS OF EVERY COLOR SWARMED .. I NEVER FELT SO MISINFORMED
THEN I KNEW SHE MEANT “50 SHADES OF STRAY”

PERHAPS MY MOTIVES HAD BEEN SHADY, BUT THIS WAS ONE INSANE CAT LADY
AND 50 CATS AIN'T MY IDEA OF FUN
THE ONES THAT WEREN'T ALREADY FIGHTIN'... CLIMBED ON ME AND STARTED BITIN'
I KNEW RIGHT THEN AND THERE THIS DATE WAS DONE

BUT I ESCAPED (I'M NOT SURE HOW)... GUESS WE CAN LAUGH ABOUT IT NOW
MY THINKIN' HERE WAS SLOWER THAN MOLASSES
BUT AS THIS AWFUL MEM'RY FADES, IF FUTURE BRINGS ME 50 SHADES...
NEXT TIME I REALLY HOPE THAT THEY'RE ...SUNGLASSES

This needs to go viral. I truly hope it does.

BIG STANDING O.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PaddyG

Pat,
That was a masterpiece of lyrical genius, combined with great skill in creating a video that matches it to perfection. Like I have said before you have a wicked sense of humor, the fact that you are able to showpiece it with such skill is a great joy for me, I fell out of my swivel chair laughing.

Paddy G

Paddy, you are an easy man to like! You say just kind things! I wish my teachers in school had seen me the way you describe above.. they just thought I was bad. My madness lives in a 4 dimensional world (the fourth dimension being SOUND) so combining 3D graphics with music is a good way for me to express the crazy ideas that cross my mind.

Thanks for taking time to listen and comment... and especially for saying that you laughed! That's the absolute BEST review I could hope for!

RnAM #356835 07/10/16 10:12 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Pat,

Terrific video and great song, LOL!
Funny subject for writing a song about and how true it is.
About the travelling, other countries, bla bla of women on dating sites, Rob knows all about it! wink.
However men, as heard from friends, have the same tendency whistle
The song is very catchy and definitely inviting to sing along!

Anne-Marie

Thanks for listening and commenting, Anne-Marie! I really appreciate your positive observations, especially since you are so knowledgeable about the topics involved in this project: video making, song writing and relationships. I was a little bit afraid that the inherent negativity might offend my female friends on the forum, and I sincerely hope that isn't the case. The fact that you offered a rebuttal of sorts has me wondering... ;-)

You've picked up on something that I doubt many people will notice, and that is the intended irony in the criticism each gender makes about the other... because they both do the same things in different ways!

For example, the line "GALS MY AGE ALL LOOK SO OLD" is a classic reference to the dating double standard. Truth is that women of just about ANY age look FAR BETTER than men of the same age... yet dumpy old dudes on dating sites summarily dismiss the vast majority of potentially awesome partners because their filter is set for women who are 30 years younger!

Indeed, in listening to my friends complain about the superficiality of online dating, it's obvious that their own judgements are at least as shallow if not more so.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Pat,

This is really, really, really funny. Super job. Just great.

Question: How much was that Muvizu program and how much RAM does it need to work right?? It seems to do a real good job.

Hi David! Thanks for taking time to watch and comment! I REALLY appreciate what you said, and I thank you for saying it!

Regarding MUVIZU: Of all the animation options out there, Muvizu is by far the best bang for the buck. They have a free version which is a little bit less capable, but it is good enough to do a lot, and trying it for free is a good way to determine if you like using it. http://www.muvizu.com

If you decide to buy the paid version, it's crazy inexpensive... like $35 !

Regarding computer specs, 3D graphics are notoriously demanding on hardware. I have 12 gigs of ram, and could probably use 16 or more. But you could use it with 8, its just that it will be painfully slow.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Pat,

great song and great video. And you're right: there are so many funny details I had to stop the video several times to have a closer look.
I'm impressed (not only by the impressive teeth of the cats).

Guenter

Hi Guenter! Thanks for taking time to search for the hidden clues!

Regarding the cat's teeth:
I'm not crazy about them, but I used a stock character and modified it to make my cats, and to my great disappointment, the teeth can't be edited! But, on the up-side, it makes for a very stylized cat... and I like that!

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Pat
Very clever - good song loved the lyric and well sung.
You certainly are getting more advanced with the use of Muvizu - nice textures. Particularly liked your main character.
As noted elsewhere very well done.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Pat,

This is AWESOME! Love it! Really outstanding...

Bob

Bob, thanks for that! I see you as a very artsy guy, one who has a very real sense of style in his music, art and videos. Since I'm working that same territory, I weigh your opinions and evaluations very highly. Coming from a person with your background and experience, I especially appreciate what you've said here. Thank you!

ROG #356842 07/10/16 10:39 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Pat.

Yes, once is certainly not enough. I'm going to need lots more plays before I pick up on everything which is going on here.

One thing I did pick up on straight away is the song itself - very clever in all respects, from the concept to the performance, to the mix. Excellent.

It seems to me that you get more professional with every new video. Having dabbled with Muvizu myself, I can only marvel at the level complexity in this production.

Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

ROG.

Hey Rog, thanks for your kind words about the song! I have great respect for you as musician, recording engineer, song writer, great human being, and all-around creative guy, so I take everything you say as being words of importance.

Muvizu is a lot like BIAB... both products make it easy to generate output that is very good... but in both cases the task of turning the basic output into a refined work that is truly your own can be daunting. I'm still struggling at learning how to refine BIAB's output into a well-mixed song, and the video adds several new layers of complexity.

But I'm OK with being a learner, and I certainly don't see my skill set as being anywhere close to yours. It's encouraging to hear you say that each project gets a little better, because isn't that the best we can hope for? Slow steady progress?

Thanks again for taking time to watch and comment... I surely do appreciate it!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What an excellent project. Music, lyric and vocal were excellent. The youtube video was first class as well.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gruverider
I'll send my electric roses to Double Jointed! lol!!

You told an hilarious story in a unique way and there was not one forced line or forced rhyme to be found. Brilliant writing!

Your work on the animation is remarkable and combined with the song is truly artful.

My day is now better for your work and being a part of this community to have been able to participate.

Thank you Pat.

Lawrence, it does my heart good to see that you would also prefer the profile BEFORE the blink .. ;-)

You bring up a point which doesn't get mentioned very often in forum reviews. Music and laughter DO have the power to make our lives better... and whether it actually worked out that way in this case, or if you're being kind to say so, neither changes the fact that music and humor do have that power.

Your comment has got me thinking now about how to direct the power of future projects specifically toward that end. Thanks for sharing your insights and your very kind words!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,497
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195