Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#35841 09/09/09 12:30 PM
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
A lot of my songs have 3-5 choruses, and I have the "vary substyles in middle choruses" checked, so that after once through with the 'a' substyle, it plays the 'b' substyle until the last Chorus. However, most of the time, it seems to be a letdown to go back to the 'a' substyle on the last Chorus, when momentum in the song has been built and I want to keep it going right out to the end of the song. What's a good way to continue the 'b' substyle in the last Chorus? Will I have to modify each song to double the length of the song form (Chorus) and set up repeats on the second copy of the song form, and apply the 'a' substyle to the first (non-repeated) Chorus, and the 'b' substyle to the repeating part?

Also, this may be spitting into the wind, but doesn't the term "Chorus" refer to a specific *part* of a song, and not the whole song form? In BB terminology, it seems to refer to the song form (minus the intro and ending). This has bugged me, but not to the point that I want to quit my resplendent life here in San Diego and go live in Yellowknife, N.W. Territories. :-)

Thanks,
--Doug

Visit the Elegance Music page on MySpace for samples of my current work.
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
When I want the last chorus to be entirely in the 'b' style I make the entire chorus
a tag ending. In doing this the "tag" could be well over 36 measures in length.

R
Expert
Expert
R
In BIAB, chorus is everything between the Intro and Tag/Ending. That's just how it is.

For your other problem, you can use Bar Settings to define certain things such as a drum style for a particular chorus. Click on your bar, press F5 and you'll see a screen where you can define which chorus, which drum style, etc.

.or.

you can unfold your whole song and have total control over everything.

R

Last edited by Rachael; 09/09/09 02:51 PM.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Also, this may be spitting into the wind, but doesn't the term "Chorus" refer to a specific *part* of a song, and not the whole song form? In BB terminology, it seems to refer to the song form (minus the intro and ending). This has bugged me, ...

This comes up periodically.

First, let me state that it is not a BIAB thing to call the Chorus what BIAB calls it.

This is sound music theory as taught at university level.

*Musically* the Chorus consists of the part the lyricist calls the "verse" plus the part the lyricist incorrectly calls the "chorus".

BIAB also recognizes the only other true song form, calling it "One long song" in the "Unfold to one long song" menu item. This is actually termed the, "durchkomponiert" -- in the German for it because that's where the forms were originally scholastically identified at some point.

One thing I've always appreciated about Band in a Box is that the developers strive to do things musically correct like that.

It is still possible to divide the Chord Grid visually to show the verse/chorus colloquialism if that is what you are after, now that we have the "New line at Part Marker" option.

***I can think of wo ways to get the song to play the B substyle for the last chorus.

One is to use that "Unfold to One Long Song" command and then manually insert part markers where you want them.

The other set up the head as A substyle by itself on the Chord Grid, like an intro, then have the actual Chorus area be only the number of repeats you need forcing B, with a TAG ending that is a whole chorus length, again forcing B.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

*Musically* the Chorus consists of the part the lyricist calls the "verse" plus the part the lyricist incorrectly calls the "chorus".

Yes, this is a perennial misunderstanding. There is a BIG difference for singers and songwriters as opposed to musicians who don't sing or write as to exactly what a 'chorus' is. For those whose primary interest is instrumental tracks, it is all Chorus. But it is NOT to us singer / song writers

NOI, Mac - but tell me, in a SONG, what do you remember? The lyrics or the music?

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

NOI, Mac - but tell me, in a SONG, what do you remember? The lyrics or the music?

I immediately, almost unconsciously, go for the Melody and most of the time, the bassline that defines the underlying chord change.

My wife can't understand that either, she is word/lyric oriented to the point where I sometimes wonder if a Melody is even needed...

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, Sam. I believe that both are *learned* activities, depends upon your focus point, I think.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Good point, Mac

I always start with lyrics - rhyme, rhythm and meter. So, I guess I listen for that.

You would have melodic instrumentals charting your life? I have lyrics and vocals

I have also noticed that there is a BIG difference between lyricists and poets. Even lyrical poets are more song writers to my mind... Modern poetry? I am about as far removed from that as Jazz is from Country. I really don't understand modern poetry at all

That said, I like Jazz. I can understand it (though I am not impressed by 32nd notes all the time and 'free' Jazz - to my mind that is BS). I cannot understand Modern Poetry - to my mind, most of the time it is BS. Totally 'free' Jazz is, to my mind, music played to impress other jazz musicians. Similar with 'modern' poetry.

That does not mean to say I am against development or progression, per se - merely to say that if you have a message to get acrosss... KISS

Anybody can m*sturbate. Do we have to watch or listen?

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The more you learn about a subject, the more you can appreciate that subject.

I don't knock the lyricists at all. Matter of fact, a good lyricist usually amazes me, that not being my forte.

Sam, Jazz and Country have more in common than you apparently think at the moment. Why do so many subjects have to always be so divisive?

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Does it not depend on the kind of Jazz and Country?

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,481
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195