Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Act 4.

A David Snyder/floyd jane co-write.

David originally posted this song as "somewhat a joke".
I suggested he take it a bit more seriously and work it as such. Others said the same.
He did a new version (making some changes and adding a bridge).
Someone else lead him to a new direction and he again reworked the song in an alt/rock manner.
I felt that it could have gone "the other direction" - more Country.

So I ask if he would allow me to re-work it (one more time).
Hopefully, y'all won't mind hearing the story one more time..with a new (old) twist (style)...

The BAIB stuff...

RealTracks in song: 366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
RealTracks in song: 836:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AltCountryRootsy Ev 075 (A:muted)
RealTracks in song: 2542:Pedal Steel, Background ModernBalladAtmosphere Ev16 065
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

I played the acoustic guitars. - a note to the PGMUSIC folks... this style of acoustic (for slow tempos) is not (yet) found in BIAB...

Janice Merritt provided the harmony.

BIBLE ON THE DRESSER

there's a bible on the dresser
beside an empty whiskey jar
i stare out the window
where she used to park her car
she left tire tracks etched
into a dusty country road
and tucked inside her bible
a handwritten note

read this bible
   startin' on page one
   don't come looking for me
   we're done
   you need it more than i do
   caught in some devil's spell
   read this book, do what it says
   you might not go to hell

i set down that whiskey glass
picked up my phone
daddy answered "what you want?
your mama isn't home."
but mama got on the line
asked me what i'd done
said if i was you i'd read that note again
and memorize it son

read that bible
   startin' on page one
   don't go looking for her
   let her go, that's done
   you need it more than she does
   to break that devil's spell
   read that book, do what it says
   crawl out of your hell

yeah i know that my hell raisin'
led me into sin
i pray i'll be forgiven
and i'll see that girl again

there's a bible on dresser
beside an empty whiskey jar
so now all that i got left
of what was written on her heart
are tire tracks forever
etched into a dusty road
and tucked inside her bible
all i need to know

©2016 david snyder and floyd jane

David - thanks for letting me stick my nose in your business...
Janice - thanks for backing me up!!! (and Bud).

Comments welcomed.
Have at it.

floyd

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Guys.

I missed the original - just not had much time to spend on the forum just recently, but this version certainly works for me.

A classic piece of country, from the story to the production and the arrangement.

Great song David, nicely done Floyd.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great songwriting, love the lyrics! Vocals are top notch as is the music and production. Really good guys, very much enjoyed the listen!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,
I haven`t heard the other version, but its hard to imagine this song as anything other than pure country listening here. The lyrics are up there with the best of the genre and vocals soar in the right places... but my favourite is the spoken lines of Dad on the phone!
Great production as ever.

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The pitch... the smack of wood against leather.... the crowd rises to its collective feet, cheering the home run...

Yeah, man.. that's exactly what this song needed! The lyrics are tailor made for a country demographic, and I was very surprised when the original version wasn't more like this.. and even more surprised when the subsequent version strayed even farther from country.

And you do country so well... you know where to pause and where to rush the phrasing for a more natural delivery.

A lot of otherwise good ballads suffer from a cheezy ending, but this ending is just phenomenal! I bet that didn't happen on the first generation of the pedal steel real track!

And don't apologize for resurrecting the song yet again.. it is an exceptional tune.. IMO one of David's very best in terms of lyric writing. Between David's familiarity with bible belt thinking and your familiarity with writing songs that blow the listening experience out of the water, I really think this song has commercial appeal. People in the traditional south are upset by the direction the world is taking, and I believe this song would be very well received.

Janice, as always, adds her magic to the mix, thereby making sure there are no little windows in the song where nothing spectacular is happening. Everywhere she chimes in, its like somebody sprinkling glitter and rainbows. Shiny stuff. Good stuff.

so, wow! Great collaboration! I love to hear an idea resolve as well as that one did!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hey Guys.

I missed the original - just not had much time to spend on the forum just recently, but this version certainly works for me.

A classic piece of country, from the story to the production and the arrangement.

Great song David, nicely done Floyd.

ROG.

Thanks, ROG...

It had not occurred to me before, but it is interesting to follow the path the song took...if anyone chooses to.

The re-write that I did was based partly on Version 1 and partly on Version 2 with changes as I saw fit. I really like David's originality and imagination, but we need to hog tie him once in a while - the boy is wild, crazy.... But... he is very easy to work with.... in fact... stay tuned...

Version 1
https://soundcloud.com/davids-nashville-hits/bible-on-the-dresser
Version 2
https://soundcloud.com/david-snyder-gigs/bible-on-the-dresser
Version 3
https://soundcloud.com/david-snyder-gigs/bible-on-the-dresser_alt-rock-remix

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd, David and Janice, this is a terrific collab. A great write, great harmonies and the right arrangement. All that and then the live acoustics and a vocal delivered with extra sauce. This may be one of your all time best vocals floyd. I thought everything was super. The good stuff! Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
floyd, David and Janice, this is a terrific collab. A great write, great harmonies and the right arrangement. All that and then the live acoustics and a vocal delivered with extra sauce. This may be one of your all time best vocals floyd. I thought everything was super. The good stuff! Tom

Not much I can add to Tom's comments - just a great collaboration - a great production.
Very impressive.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd / David,

I remember this song. This version is excellent. Love the lead vocal, arrangement, and the harmony by Janice really makes it shine.

Great stuff!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Simply beautiful guys!
We haven't heard the original version but this one sure sounds professional all the way.
Beautiful blending of the vocals too!

Rob & Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
FJ, David and Janice - Great collab! FJ, you sure nailed that vocal as well as that Dad character talking. I think this is the only version I've heard and it sounds like all the right stuff for a classic country tearjerker to me. Great job y'all!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I am in the wilderness near the Canadian border right now and the Internet is really slow where I am, so it will be next week before I can listen and reply to all the new forum tunes I am dying to hear and comment on!:)

But yeah, Floyd put it in the bleachers for sure and Janice gave me goosebumps--again.

My latest advice from Nashville was: "If you want to pitch country Dave, you gotta let Floyd sing." Well, all righty then! I hear ya!!! Ha, ha, ha. They're right!! That boy can play and sing a country song like there's no tomorrow for sure. I will give him that.

And yes, we have been tinkering behind the scenes with a few little doodles soon to be released. Won't say much right now, but I will tell ya the same thing I told the sound man.

"I hope you got a fire extinguisher back there mister because Floyd and me are about to burn this place down."

smile

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Great collaboration and well worth the effort that's been put into it.

This is certainly the best version so far in my opinion but I don't know that it still can't be taken a bit farther.

Nothing at all wrong with it, I personally think the song is good enough that it could make the cut as a demo for a major artist and producer to make it into a huge commercial hit.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd and David,

that is a collab made in heaven.

Originally Posted By: tommyad

nothing more to add, well done all of you

Alyn

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice

A good song, strong message, sincerely sung and perfect arrangement, cut another notch in that post Floyd.

Paddy G

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Great songwriting, love the lyrics! Vocals are top notch as is the music and production. Really good guys, very much enjoyed the listen!

Dave - we say "Thanks!"

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Floyd,
I haven`t heard the other version, but its hard to imagine this song as anything other than pure country listening here. The lyrics are up there with the best of the genre and vocals soar in the right places... but my favourite is the spoken lines of Dad on the phone!
Great production as ever.

Robert

Robert - we appreciate all that..

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

I liked David's versions, but you made it to a song of your own which is spectacular. The little changes in the lyrics, the arrangement, the vocals and Janice's harmonies: it all fits so perfectly. What came out of this great collab is a beautiful song.

Guenter

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Floyd, David and Janice, congratulations! Great collaboration. I can only agree with all of the comments above. Each element of the song from the lyrics to vocals to production all comes together beautifully in a classic country format.

I'd like to throw something out there. It just so happens that last night I watched a video by a songwriter-to-the stars Ralph Murphy. I'm sure many of you have heard of him. Amongst many other opinions about making #1 country singles (the context for this discussion because as people have mentioned this song is in that territory) he insists that the song needs to empower the singer. In other words it needs to firmly place the singer in a positive, almost heroic light. I wonder if the lyrics here do that? In light of Murphy's advice I would be inclined to bend the song more towards redemption, or at least acknowledgement of past wrongdoing so that there is hope of reconciliation with the ex. It could simply be in the final verse - nothing radical required. I wonder how much you value Murphy's advice. A lot of his suggestions are new to me (not really being interested in #1s).

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Very moving song, kinda got my eyes wet, not a bad thing, great song..........

Critter
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The sum is greater than the parts.

Collabs really take things to a new level and this is proof. I heard at least one of the original 3 versions and thought the song was ok but nothing to write home about. However, the collab version really shines.

I'm curious to know what NSAI thinks about this latest version.

Good job on kicking it up several notches.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,466
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195