You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#359595 - 08/05/16 05:18 AM [User Showcase] Send A Sign
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

I wrote this last week after I had to put down my dog. My constant daily companion for 12 years suddenly gone. Lots of tears. Music is my medicine. A cool technique I discovered is to take held piano chords and underpin them with held pedal steel pads. The result is a bell like sustain.

Vocals, Tom Adams

RealTracks in style: ~2503:Piano, Acoustic, HeldChords 085
RealTracks in style: ~362:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 838:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBalladClean Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~363:Pedal Steel, Background Ev Held 085
RealTracks in song: ~2051:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev Simple 085
Royalty Free Loops
Recorded in Logic ProX, Alloy2, Nectar2, Ozone6, Scuffam Amps S-Gear.

https://soundcloud.com/tommyad/Send-A-Sign

http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13427543

Send A Sign

We became the very best of friends
You always knew when I was feeling bad
you’ve left me here and in the end
I can’t let go of what we had

An empty house, an empty heart
and I can’t find a way to fill this hole

I’ll keep a light on every night maybe it will help you see
Are you OK please send a sign cause that is what I really need

We saw the world through different eyes
Everyday we took our walks
it goes so fast The years fly by
I sure am going to miss those talks

An empty house, an empty heart
and I can’t find a way to fill this hole

©2016 Thomas Adams

#359599 - 08/05/16 05:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: Send A Sign [Re: tommyad]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

A fitting and touching song. Anyone who has ever loved a dog will understand.

Unfortunately, dogs live much too short. But they pack a lot of living into those years. They love us unconditionally while they're here and a part of our lives. They touch the deepest part of our soul and heart. And they leave a big empty place in our hearts and lives when they leave.

Give yourself a bit of time to grieve the loss of your furry friend, then, as they say, the cure for a heart broken by the death of a beloved dog is a new puppy.

The death of a dog can be as traumatic as the death of a family member because that's exactly what they are.... family.

The song is nicely done, and a fitting tribute to man's best friend and unwavering, four-legged companion.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#359607 - 08/05/16 06:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Send A Sign [Re: tommyad]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Sorry for your loss, Tommy. This is a fitting tribute.

Regards,

Bob

#359613 - 08/05/16 07:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Send A Sign [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Tommy,

a fitting tribute. I can relate as I had a dog for 17 years.
I especially like the vocals and the
beautiful background vocals.

Guenter

#359616 - 08/05/16 07:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: Send A Sign [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Hi Tommy,
it's always a treat to see a new Tommy Adams song on the showcase... I hate that this time it's a song of grieving.

The lyrics are cleverly written... I'm guessing it's intentional that they could be interpreted very widely and applied to the end of any relationship. That probably wouldn't have occurred to me, but in retrospect, it seems like a creative decision that would increase the appeal of the song.

I really liked the way the guitar echoes the fiddle. Must have taken a bit of work to make that happen, but wow! What a payoff!

Your backing vocals are so seamless I had to listen a few times before I noticed them. I like the fact that they have their own mini melody, not just the usual simple ooohs and aaahs across a single chord.

Thanks for sharing your tip about the piano and pedal steel playing held chords... and for providing specific real tracks to use for the effect

There is a realness to your music that I don't hear in everybody's posts. When you write about loss, the pain actually makes it through the mix. What a powerful attribute for a song writer to possess!

#359624 - 08/05/16 08:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Send A Sign [Re: tommyad]
Robertkc Offline
Veteran

Tommy

A heartfelt, beautifully sung tribute that,as Pat said, has broad appeal for anyone who has experienced loss ( I`m sending it to my wife as she has been there a few times now with several four legged companions ).
Wonderful interplay between the fiddle (Realtrack?) and your guitar - the intro grabs attention right away.

Robert

#359642 - 08/05/16 10:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: Send A Sign [Re: tommyad]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

"An empty house, an empty heart
and I can’t find a way to fill this hole"

It can't be said any better than that.
I had a "constant companion" for 15 years - still hurts...you really strike a chord here...

The "generic write" is well done.
Terrific production and mix. The guitar bits are really nice.

Sung from the heart.

A beautiful tribute. I feel for you.

fj

#359684 - 08/05/16 02:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Send A Sign [Re: Guitarhacker]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
A fitting and touching song. Anyone who has ever loved a dog will understand.

Unfortunately, dogs live much too short. But they pack a lot of living into those years. They love us unconditionally while they're here and a part of our lives. They touch the deepest part of our soul and heart. And they leave a big empty place in our hearts and lives when they leave.

Give yourself a bit of time to grieve the loss of your furry friend, then, as they say, the cure for a heart broken by the death of a beloved dog is a new puppy.

The death of a dog can be as traumatic as the death of a family member because that's exactly what they are.... family.

The song is nicely done, and a fitting tribute to man's best friend and unwavering, four-legged companion.
Herb, I know you're a dog guy and thought you would relate. Thanks for the nice comments, Tom

#359687 - 08/05/16 02:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Send A Sign [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Tom
Sorry to hear about your dog. A very nice tribute.
The song itself is beautifully put together and as Pat says has brilliant backing vocals.
Great song writing.

#359703 - 08/05/16 03:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Send A Sign [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Tom,

So sorry - I've been there... This song is heartbreaking, but a beautiful tribute.

Bob

#359707 - 08/05/16 04:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Send A Sign [Re: tommyad]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Tom,

Beautiful and heartbreaking song.
We both been through the same situation more than once, and we know how it feels.
Music sure can be a medicine.

All the best,

Rob & Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#359720 - 08/05/16 06:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Send A Sign [Re: tommyad]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Tom,

Your song is such a loving and heart wrenching tribute to your beautiful dog.

It is so hard to lose that unconditional love and companionship. I know that pain and the big hole left in your heart and home all too well.

I pray that God will comfort your heart through this dark time and that you will be able to one day smile with the thought of each sweet memory of love, laughter, and fun from all those years and good times you shared together.

God bless you.

#359750 - 08/05/16 11:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: Send A Sign [Re: tommyad]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Tom,
So sad.

A great song, a fitting tribute to a good friend!

Alyn

#359762 - 08/06/16 04:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Send A Sign [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Byron Bay, NSW, Australia
Matcham Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Byron Bay, NSW, Australia
Tom I feel your pain. Your song is nostalgic to me as I too have lost a best friend. Still I can't help but notice the neat song structure and production. Not bad for a week's work!

#359764 - 08/06/16 04:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: Send A Sign [Re: boehm]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Sorry for your loss, Tommy. This is a fitting tribute.

Regards,

Bob
Thanks Bob, Tom
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Tommy,

a fitting tribute. I can relate as I had a dog for 17 years.
I especially like the vocals and the
beautiful background vocals.

Guenter
Guenter, I am sure many of us here have experienced the same thing. Thanks for the comments, Tom

#359773 - 08/06/16 07:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: Send A Sign [Re: tommyad]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
A great tribute for the loss of the best of friends.

Your expression of grief will give comfort to a lot of people.

#359815 - 08/06/16 03:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Send A Sign [Re: tommyad]
Loc: Middletown, PA.
44kfl Offline
Veteran

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Oh man, I feel for you. I think I've always had a dog and there's nothing like coming home to someone who's always so glad to see you.
So, as a fellow dog lover, I'm so sorry for your loss.
You express the emotions so well in this song and I love all the vocals, especially the background. As always beautifully played, well written, from the heart. Pat Marr says just about everything
spot on and elegantly about this tender and well crafted song.

Kenny

#359849 - 08/07/16 05:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Send A Sign [Re: Pat Marr]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Hi Tommy,
it's always a treat to see a new Tommy Adams song on the showcase... I hate that this time it's a song of grieving.

The lyrics are cleverly written... I'm guessing it's intentional that they could be interpreted very widely and applied to the end of any relationship. That probably wouldn't have occurred to me, but in retrospect, it seems like a creative decision that would increase the appeal of the song.

I really liked the way the guitar echoes the fiddle. Must have taken a bit of work to make that happen, but wow! What a payoff!

Your backing vocals are so seamless I had to listen a few times before I noticed them. I like the fact that they have their own mini melody, not just the usual simple ooohs and aaahs across a single chord.

Thanks for sharing your tip about the piano and pedal steel playing held chords... and for providing specific real tracks to use for the effect

There is a realness to your music that I don't hear in everybody's posts. When you write about loss, the pain actually makes it through the mix. What a powerful attribute for a song writer to possess!
Pat, I did change a few lyrics to make the song more universal, so that it wasn't just about a dog. The guitar and the fiddle are loops. The backing vocal is me on high harmony with a single vocal loop. It does require some cut and pasting and the all important nudge. Thanks for your kind words. Tom

#359953 - 08/08/16 08:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: Send A Sign [Re: floyd jane]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Tommy

A heartfelt, beautifully sung tribute that,as Pat said, has broad appeal for anyone who has experienced loss ( I`m sending it to my wife as she has been there a few times now with several four legged companions ).
Wonderful interplay between the fiddle (Realtrack?) and your guitar - the intro grabs attention right away.

Robert
Thanks Robert. As I Previously mentioned the guitar and fiddle were loops. Tom
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
"An empty house, an empty heart
and I can’t find a way to fill this hole"

It can't be said any better than that.
I had a "constant companion" for 15 years - still hurts...you really strike a chord here...

The "generic write" is well done.
Terrific production and mix. The guitar bits are really nice.

Sung from the heart.

A beautiful tribute. I feel for you.

fj
floyd, I usually try to stay away from generic lines but in this case it was a therapy write so I didn't care. I didn't play anything on this one. All loops and real tracks. Thanks, I appreciate it. Tom

#359954 - 08/08/16 08:14 AM [User Showcase] Re: Send A Sign [Re: tommyad]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: tommyad

floyd, I usually try to stay away from generic lines but in this case it was a therapy write so I didn't care.

Hope you got that I meant that as a compliment...As Pat noted this is written in a way that allows it to cover loss experienced by almost anyone...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
We're at The NAMM Show!

Heading to The NAMM Show? Make sure you stop by Booth 1015 (Hall E) - we'll be doing product demonstrations every hour, with some RealTracks Artists popping in for performances with Band-in-a-Box too!

Click here for more information about The NAMM Show, held in Anaheim California at the Anaheim Convention Center.

It's Almost Over - Order by January 15th to SAVE on Xtra Styles PAKs & Loops-with-Style PAK 1!

NEW products for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac: Xtra Styles PAK 8 and Loops-with-Style PAK 1!

--SPECIAL PRICING ONLY AVAILABLE UNTIL JANUARY 15TH!--

We've added 164 fantastic new RealStyles in Xtra Styles PAK 8! These are imaginative new combinations of our existing RealTracks library that fall into four categories: Rock/Pop 8, Jazz 8, Country 8, and Celtic 1. To celebrate the release of Xtra Styles PAK 8, ALL of our Xtra Styles PAKs 1-8 are on sale for just $29 each! Learn more & listen to demos here.

Also brand-new is our Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for Band-in-a-Box®, which gives you the chance to expand your loops collection with 100 new loops! We've taken the RealDrums and RealTracks source audio and remixed, remastered, and combined it to create these original loops. All of your favorite genres are covered like jazz, funk, rock, pop, electronic, hip-hop, and more! To show them in action, we've created 50 new RealStyles that each include two of the loops. Plus, if you use the loops in Band-in-a-Box, we've included intelligent versions of the loops that automatically switch at A and B part markers. Each loop has a matching sister loop that works perfectly for another substyle! Get started with Loops-with-Style PAK 1 for the introductory price of just $19 until January 15th (reg: $29). Learn more & watch a great video demonstration here.

Note: Xtra Styles PAK 8 and Loops-with-Style PAK 1 require the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 or higher UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Windows User? Choose from these links: Xtra Styles PAKs | Loops-with-Style PAK 1

Built-in Audio Chord Wizard Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2020!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows version includes some great enhancements to the Built-in Audio Chord Wizard!

-The built-in Audio Chord Wizard is now accessible from the [Audio Chord Wizard] button.
-The Audio Edit window now displays chords and tempos for each bar. They are shown when the Audio Chord Wizard mode is active so that you can see the tempo for each bar as you set the bar lines.
-When you start entering bar lines, the program automatically sets the tempo to the tempo of the first bar.
-Once the tempo of the first bar is set, the program automatically moves the location of the first bar of audio over so that the visual space of the count-in bars is visible.
-After you’ve added the bar lines, IF you adjust the first or second bar and the tempo of the first bar changes accordingly, the program automatically changes the tempo of the song to match.
-Multi-window display. This gives the Audio Chord Wizard a multi-window view so that you can see and edit both the Audio Edit window and the Chords Sheet at the same time. This display is best viewed with a small toolbar mode. This allows you to see the chords as they are being interpreted by the wizard.
-The Audio Chord Wizard can send the transcribed MIDI notes to the Soloist track for further analysis by the user (via Piano Roll or Notation window). Note that this is a "snapshot" view every 8th note of the pitches present, not an attempt at polyphonic transcription. To use this feature, enable the "MIDI to Soloist" check box.

Read more about these enhancements here, or jump to the New Feature - Audio Chord Wizard (ACW) Enhancements section of our New Features video here.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows® Special ENDS January 15th!!!

IT'S YOUR LAST WEEKEND TO SAVE UP TO 50% ON YOUR BAND-IN-A-BOX® UPGRADE!

Our SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Upgrade purchases ends January 15, 2020, so there is still some time to save up to 50% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows Upgrade!

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows with over 50 new features, plus the 202 New RealTracks, new RealStyles, 15 new MIDI SuperTracks, 170 new Instrumental Studies, 30 new MIDI Styles, 280 RealDrums Transcriptions, the 2020 Free Bonus PAK, 2020 49-PAK, and new Xtra Styles PAK 8!

We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2020 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2020 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows at: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

If you need any help deciding which package is the best option for you, just let us know. We are here to help!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Patch Update Available! (Build 642)

Still using Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows? Build 642 is a free update full of updates for version 2019, and includes a VST DAW Plugin update to 1.16.29.

Learn more and download here. | Direct download

Note: this patch is not intended to update your version to the recently released Band-in-a-Box® 2020, which is available for purchase here.

Summary of Changes for Version 2019 Build 642 (Jan 08 2020):
Changed: Default the 'include similar styles in the stylepicker' to false each bootup.
Improved: BootupLog.txt will include more elaborate information when troubleshooting bootup problems. This only applies if WriteBootUpLog.txt is present in the Data folder.
Updated: PDF and help (routine cleanup/updaes).
Fixed: "There is no audio file currently recorded" error message when using Audio > Plugin.
Fixed: [Video] > Render Video(s)... menu item should launch the Make Chordsheet Video dialog if Video RealTracks export is not available.
Fixed: Access violation in Song Titles browser if no song is selected when clicking [Close].
Fixed: Applying audio effects using Audio > Plugins would fail with error "Plugin cancelled. Original file is preserved".
Fixed: Audio > Edit Audio > Timeshift Audio would crash the program if the Audio Edit window was not open.
Fixed: Audio will not import to a custom position if there is already audio on the Audio track.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash during bootup if an ASIO driver was previously selected, and the device is no longer connected to the computer.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash during bootup if there is a problem with font installation (usually after upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10).
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash when opening a song that contains note-based lyrics.
Fixed: Bar Lyrics and Section Text layers do not line up with bars in Notation window if there are repeats in song, and fake sheet mode is enabled.
Fixed: Clicking OK in the MIDI/Audio Driver Setup dialog should not close the floating Mixer window.
Fixed: Close button in Select chorus start/end dialog should behave like Cancel, ie user clicking on bar afterwards shouldn't do anything.
Fixed: Crash with error "external exception C06D007F" while launching if using Windows XP.
Fixed: Dragging a single track to export MIDI causes that track to be permanently soloed.
Fixed: If an ASIO driver cannot connect during bootup, the default WAS driver should be used instead.
Fixed: If using the 64 bit version of Band-in-a-Box, the BB2Go window would display an erroneous QuickTime version, and converting files to .m4a would fail. QuickTime is only available for the 32 bit version, but is only required if using Windows Vista or earlier.
Fixed: Lyrics would not display in the Big Lyrics if "Show chord symbols above the lyrics" was enabled.
Fixed: melodists were getting quantized incorrectly.
Fixed: Possible crash if editing a text layer while using the floating Notation Window.
Fixed: Possible freeze when importing compressed audio files.
Fixed: Practice window | Master Solos | Blues Piano, displays N/A.
Fixed: RealTracks #2975 (Vocal Oohs-Aahs) sometimes played incorrect chords for m7b5 and C7.
Fixed: Rebuilding styles list was causing errors sometimes.
Fixed: Several Piano and Organ MIDI SuperTracks have been edited to remove spurious MIDI events (e.g. mod wheel sometimes caused 'warbling' effect).
Fixed: Sforzando might not automatically be added to the VST list, causing Hi-Q patch selection to fail.
Fixed: Some bars for the B section of RT 2529 were dropping out.
Fixed: Some Bass and Nylon Guitar RealTracks (including 2718, 2724, 2722, 2725, 2719) have RealCharts added.
Fixed: StylePicker: User Category list wasn't refreshing after choosing a new user category.
Fixed: The About dialog said 'for Macintosh' instead of 'for Windows'.
Fixed: The Drop Station would not update if dropping a file onto Presonus Studio One.
Fixed: When choosing a compressed format for rendering files, and "One file per track" is enabled, the resulting files are .wav format instead of the compressed format.
Fixed: Wrong notes on Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.

Summary of changes for Band-in-a-Box DAW Plugin 1.16.29:
Added: copy selected cell if nothing highlighted
Added: shift-arrows to select in chord sheet
Added: SHIFT-ENTER to go backwards in chord sheet
Added: SHIFT-TAB to go backwards in chord sheet, TAB to go forward
Added: support for all Biab file types
Fixed: Added message if attempting to drag tracks before generating
Fixed: Alert window buttons "punch hole" when pressed
Fixed: Audio stutters when resizing plugin in some DAWs
Fixed: auto gen after open feature not working in Studio One 4
Fixed: bounds when highlighting in chord sheet
Fixed: C#7b5b9b13 to chord sheet
Fixed: distortion when stopping playback in pro tools
Fixed: losing focus in chord sheet
Fixed: make selected cell at the end after pasting
Fixed: Open dialog in infinite loop
Fixed: plugin stops playing non-synced tracks when closing and then opening plugin
Fixed: Send space bar keystrokes to DAW
Fixed: some styles not dragging all tracks from blue button
Fixed: track text not resizing correctly
Fixed: Transpose not working
Fixed: Verify folders before each call to Biab

New Left-Handed & Student View Guitar Window in Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows, the Guitar window has been remade and now supports the left-handed (in addition to right-handed) guitar and student view!

The student view is the view a student (or YouTube video watcher) would have of the (right-handed) guitar facing him with the head at the right and low notes at the top. There's also a left-handed student view, so all 4 possible views are supported.

To change the view, press the [Guitar] toolbar button to open the Guitar window and then the [Settings] button.

See this new feature in action when you jump to the "Left-Handed & Student View Guitar Fretboard" topic in our 2020 New Features video: Click here...

Loops with Style PAK 1 - Just $19 Until January 15th!

The recently released Loops-with-Style PAK 1 is your chance to expand your loops collection with 100 new loops!

To show them in action, we've created 50 new RealStyles that each include two of the loops. Plus, if you use the loops in Band-in-a-Box, we've included intelligent versions of the loops that automatically switch at A and B part markers. Each loop has a matching sister loop that works perfectly for another substyle!

We're offering Loops-with-Style PAK 1 at the introductory price of $19, but only until January 15, 2020 (reg. price $29). Purchase here.

Note: Loops-with-Style PAK 1 requires the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 or higher UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, or Audiophile Edition.

Watch the demonstration video...

Windows user? Click here for product information, or to to purchase Loops-with-Style PAK 1.

Forum Stats
30955 Members
63 Forums
61962 Topics
523410 Posts

Max Online: 2519 @ 01/16/20 06:39 AM
Newest Members
Ebtony, kfz, A. Smith, enzo princi, Swingfeel

30954 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 258
Matt Finley 188