Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#360270 08/10/16 05:38 AM
User Showcase
44kfl Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I had to go back to an older version of BIAB to find the instruments used for this song from a couple of years ago, thought I'd post it, hope that's ok, dig all that midi!

https://soundcloud.com/kfl44/better-days

Drums Nashville Even 8
Harmonica Background Pop 685
Everything else is midi

NYOUNG Country Style Midi

44kfl #360277 08/10/16 05:57 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Kenny,

I like this, had me singing along!

Ain't BIAB great!!!

Alyn

44kfl #360309 08/10/16 08:52 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Kenny.

Like Alyn, I was singing along straight away. In fact, I'm still singing the chorus as I'm typing.

I think the power of this song comes largely from it's simple, relaxed format. You feel immediately comfortable with it and by the time the chorus kicks in with those excellent harmony BVs, you're well and truly hooked.

Gotta listen to that again.

ROG.

44kfl #360319 08/10/16 10:09 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Kenny
Very nice! I must say that I am starting to get more into midi these days. You have a little Eagles vibe going on here. Good job.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
44kfl #360329 08/10/16 10:43 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Kenny,

Always pleased to see a song from you!

This is so "comfortable". Easy, relaxed. Great sound. Your vocals always have "heart". Nice arrangement and mix...

This reminded me of Jackson Browne (Late For The Sky era)... better days...

Really enjoyed it...

fj

44kfl #360341 08/10/16 11:46 AM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
I’m gonna rise up in the morning
While the sun’s still breaking thru
Pack only the things I really need
Head out to highway 22

Stretch my eyes till I’m awake
Breathe deep while the airs still cool
And I’m thinking about the road ahead
But mostly about you

Kenny, you are a master of setting a scene!! This is just beautifully written. Perfect "band" for the song, and a great musical hook. You're a wonderful writer-I'm never disappointed!! Take care. Greg

44kfl #360391 08/11/16 12:04 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice vocals and harmonies, harmonica part is the perfect choice for this song too. Could be something the Eagles would have done back in the day. Good stuff!

44kfl #360395 08/11/16 12:33 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Kenny

Excellent - really catchy chorus - nice band sound.

Peter

44kfl #360428 08/11/16 02:35 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Kenny, This is so easy to listen to. As mentioned previously it has that Cali country rock sound. Great vocals and I really love the write. On my 5th listen and going back again. Excellent, Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Kenny,
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice vocals and harmonies, harmonica part is the perfect choice for this song too. Could be something the Eagles would have done back in the day. Good stuff!
An enjoyable listen.

Guenter

ROG #360497 08/11/16 09:17 AM
User Showcase
44kfl Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gibson
Kenny,

I like this, had me singing along!

Ain't BIAB great!!!

Alyn

Thanks Alyn, always appreciate your kind words and support.
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Kenny.

Like Alyn, I was singing along straight away. In fact, I'm still singing the chorus as I'm typing.

I think the power of this song comes largely from it's simple, relaxed format. You feel immediately comfortable with it and by the time the chorus kicks in with those excellent harmony BVs, you're well and truly hooked.

Gotta listen to that again.

ROG.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by 44kfl; 08/11/16 09:18 AM.
User Showcase
44kfl Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Hi Kenny
Very nice! I must say that I am starting to get more into midi these days. You have a little Eagles vibe going on here. Good job.

Thanks Josie,

I like midi for its flexibility too, but I don't have a good tone generator. I've gotten so spoiled with these real tracks, there are still a lot of really good midi tracks here!

44kfl #360500 08/11/16 09:35 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"Hoping that the wind is kind
And pushing gently at my back
Hoping things will fall my way
And find the inside track"

We have to love this....we recently finished a song with end lines of wind at my back and on the right track for the rhymes!! grin

"Collected paintings and souvenirs
On display for all to see
From all the places that we’ve been
Do they mean more than me

And the better days we knew
There were better days it’s true"

You push things soooooo far up the image ladder. Everything is always so textured and rich...but not overly so...just the right touch. Few writers in our opinion are able to so consistently nail that sweet spot as you do.

If your vocal was not so good we'd be tempted to say we could hear Henley sing it but you nailed it with an expressive vocal that as a friend used to say "rips the paint right off of your heart."

We got so lost in the vocal and lyric that we had to immediately listen a couple more times to focus on the production -- which is outstanding.

Wonderful piece of work!

J&B

floyd jane #360502 08/11/16 09:40 AM
User Showcase
44kfl Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Kenny,

Always pleased to see a song from you!

This is so "comfortable". Easy, relaxed. Great sound. Your vocals always have "heart". Nice arrangement and mix...

This reminded me of Jackson Browne (Late For The Sky era)... better days...

Really enjoyed it...

fj

Thanks,

Once again you've uncovered my roots pretty effortlessly. I never even thought of Jackson Browne while writing or recording this and yet he is one of my favorites and Late For The Sky my favorite album of his. A big influence on me, can you believe 40 + years ago now that this record was released. Actually I wanted to write something very simple and straight forward in a Neil Young way (NYOUNG STYLE) "think I'll pack it in and buy a pickup" and with me it will come out more Jackson or JT.
You always have such kind words for everyone and I appreciate it,
Thanks

User Showcase
44kfl Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
I’m gonna rise up in the morning
While the sun’s still breaking thru
Pack only the things I really need
Head out to highway 22

Stretch my eyes till I’m awake
Breathe deep while the airs still cool
And I’m thinking about the road ahead
But mostly about you

Kenny, you are a master of setting a scene!! This is just beautifully written. Perfect "band" for the song, and a great musical hook. You're a wonderful writer-I'm never disappointed!! Take care. Greg

Greg my main man,
I couldn't ask for a better write up than this,
you should be my press manager, that is if I ever
need one, I don't think I'll need one, getting off
the subject here. Thank you so much for the kind words
as always.

PeterF #360507 08/11/16 09:53 AM
User Showcase
44kfl Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Thanks,
yeah, as soon as I tried the harmonica I thought it worked right away.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Kenny

Excellent - really catchy chorus - nice band sound.

Peter

Thanks Peter

tommyad #360700 08/12/16 04:36 PM
User Showcase
44kfl Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Kenny, This is so easy to listen to. As mentioned previously it has that Cali country rock sound. Great vocals and I really love the write. On my 5th listen and going back again. Excellent, Tom

Thanks Tom,

"Cali Country" play it all you want, that's what it's there for, I play yours over and over.

Kenny

44kfl #360723 08/13/16 02:40 AM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Beautiful song. It is so well written, arranged, mixed and produced. Your vocals are stellar and exactly right for the song. The harmonies and backing vocals are right for the genre and splendidly performed as well.

I had to wait a few minutes before posting my comments so as not to gush all over this song. It is so close in genre, feel and vibe to what I was doing in the early 1970's with my band Angel Oak.

I agree this is a bit of the early Eagles and Jackson Brown Cali sound but it goes back further than that to the simplicity and purity of Gram Parsons. Were this back in that time, you could easily see Gram Parsons or Rick Nelson in the Stone Canyon days recording this song. The one thing either they or my band would have included that's left out in your version is Pedal Steel Guitar. Not a lot, but it would have been there.

Both Parsons and Nelson, (Angel Oak by imitation and access to a pedal steel player) used the steel for its uniqueness as well as a bit of 'in your face' to the big labels and their total control. So, had midi been available back in the day, both may have used it for that same reason.

This is so authentic to that sound in performance and feel resulting from the chord progression using the minors. Uncannily old, but so new and refreshing once again. This is the most authentic recreation of the pre-Eagles country rock I've heard in the 40 + years since it was actually being performed by bands.

This was nice to hear and I really enjoyed it.

Charlie

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 08/13/16 05:03 PM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
44kfl #360857 08/14/16 07:29 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Kenny,

Love the sound you're getting here. Agree with the Eagles vibe - very nice!

Bob

44kfl #360898 08/14/16 03:06 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This little song just grabs you and holds on. Love that soft rock Eagles sound. I really like the arrangement except I thought there could've been a bit less harmonica (or maybe panned wider in the mix) since to me it seemed to be fighting the vocals in spots. The vocals and harmonies sound terrific. Great lyrics and sweet sing a long melody.

One of my personal fav songs of yours Kenny!

Last edited by Sundance; 08/14/16 03:09 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195