You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#158795 - 05/05/12 08:40 PM [User Showcase] Feedback on mix..please!
Loc: Charlotte, NC
Tano Music Offline
Expert

I like this new composition, but I'm worried that I keep making mixes that are flat, or mushy...not taking advantage of best mixing practices...so I'd like to lean on all the sage experience here to give me some tips on how to sharpen this up:

http://soundcloud.com/tanomusic/sing-life

Song: Sing Life!Z
BIAB styles used: WR_HHop, WR_FAST, Salsa, Zawinul
I used 2 vocal tracks sung in unison, each panned slightly off center.
Also used "Clone Ensemble" VST to add a voice emphasis at end of verse.

Thanks in advance!

#158796 - 05/06/12 05:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Feedback on mix..please! [Re: Tano Music]
Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Sounds good to me TanoMusic; I'm not sure what you want to work on in order to improve it.

It's a very unique and individual piece, so I don't have any readily available benchmarks in my head to compare it against in order to offer mixing advice. The mix is very good as I can hear all the different instruments, i.e. they all have their own sonic space, which is good.

If you just want more overall zing and punch, then some overall compression and EQ can help with that, and an easier way to do that is to use mastering tools such as TRacks3 or Ozone5 for this.

Maybe you could let me know more precisely what you feel needs improving?

John
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4

#158797 - 05/06/12 08:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: Feedback on mix..please! [Re: Skyline]
Tano Music Offline
Expert

Thanks John...I was just looking for another set of ears...I really appreciate your comments...

#158798 - 05/06/12 08:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: Feedback on mix..please! [Re: Tano Music]
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
This song has a pretty interesting feel to it. It kinda reminds me of some of the contemporary gospel musicals from way back in the 70's (Godspell, Jesus Christ Superstar, etc.)

The mix sounds good to me. Like John said, there is not a lot of "traditional" stuff out there to compare it to (that comes to my mind), so it's hard to have much of a baseline to compare. But as John said, every part has its space, and everything gets heard. I didn't hear any glaring problems to point out.

A pretty intricate arrangement here. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

#158799 - 05/08/12 11:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: Feedback on mix..please! [Re: Steve Young]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
I love the Latin rhythm. The chord changes are truly unique and interesting. All the half-steps in the melody are pretty cool too but I'll it was hard to sing.

I can hear what you mean about the mix. Perhaps it's just a little too low overall.

SD

PG Music News
Video - Search & Replace Chords in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows

Did you know you can Search & Replace Chords in Band-in-a-Box®? Watch this video to see how

Read even more about this feature within Chapter 6 of our Online Manual.

French Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!
Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 VST DAW Plugin for Windows® in Acoustica® Mixcraft

This video demonstrates the Band-in-a-Box® 2019 VST DAW Plugin for Windows® in Acoustica® Mixcraft - click here to watch...

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Build 627 Available

An Update Patch is available to all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows users - Build 267! Learn more here.

Summary of changes:
Fixed: Using an external plugin (from the menu Audio > Plugin) would always launch the plugin in English instead of the chosen language in Band-in-a-Box.

German Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Paket
Was ist neu?

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac Build 266 Available!

Attention Band-in-a-Box® for Mac users! Update your Version 2018 with our latest patch, Build 266 here!

Summary of changes:
Fixed: Pressing play might freeze the program if your song has no RealDrums selected and includes style changes at any bar.
Fixed: The Audio Devices window might freeze if re-selecting the same audio device.
Improved: If using unusual audio device settings (eg. bluetooth headphones with a very low sample rate), a warning message will be shown that directs the user to the macOS Audio Device window to adjust their settings.
Fixed: The file open dialog for choosing a custom RealTracks folder would fail.

Requested Video - Using the BB VST Plugin in RealBand!

Did you know that you can use the Band-in-a-Box® VST Plugin in RealBand (but you don't have to...)? Tobin explains this in detail with our latest video - Watch now...

Forum Stats
29345 Members
60 Forums
57754 Topics
484420 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
MeanDean, djh, JanD, lk123, Weigie

29345 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Janice & Bud 145
Jim 141