Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
My Favorite Things
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I feel bad, because the first reply is not a favorite thing, but an 'un-favorite thing'

Not to be negative, but to offer constructive feedback

This is my most un-favorite thing about BiaB. That menu that you get when you click on the mixer.

I started using BiaB in Atari days. I now use it in Windows 10 days - but I still have very little idea about what to expect from this particular menu. It needs a lot of work. Sorry.

Suppose I have a style with RealTracks, and when I click (Right or left) on the Guitar Track (note the track) I am presented with one single menu - with no categories or sub-items - that gives me options to select "a Hi-Q MIDI Synth Patch" or "Select MIDI patch" or "Freeze Strings Track" or "Select Best Chording RealTracks" or ....

I click on a track in the mixer and I get no fewer than 25 options - Many of which have got absolutely nothing to do with the mixer!!!! (sorry, was I yelling? I apologize).

Now before you slam me because you know it already, just imagine I'd like to hear a Flugel Horn on this track. I presume that the Mixer will allow me to find a Flugel Horn or a Sax. Imagine I am a brand new user, and I am confronted with this 'Menu' with a plethora of single-item options that only the original coder could really understand. Where would I start? Are you with me?

This menu needs a lot of work. It is full of ambiguity, descended from a lifetime of new features that have been 'tacked-on' without any real thought as to how to best deliver functionality, but to 'just put it here'.

Sorry Andrew that the first response to your post is not a 'favorite' feature, but this Menu gets me every time. If it gets me, I have to figure there are a lot of others who it gets as well. Users who use it once - and don't come back (are you with me Peter?)

Let's work together to deliver a better product. Incidentally, I've offered to help support PGM products previously, but there's been no follow through from the other side.

Only doing my best... I'm actually on your side.

Click on 'Guitar Track' in the Mixer and see if you all really intuitively follow all of this:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2016-08-24_20-11-11.jpg (184.5 KB, 292 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
My Favorite Things
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello VideoTrack,

Thank you for your post! We appreciate all feedback, especially of the constructive variety smile

Removing menu options can be a sensitive endeavor. It seems for every customer who dislikes an option, there is another who loves it! Perhaps we can come up with a happy medium, such as a “Simple” and “Advanced” menu structure so you’d see only the most basic options unless you specified otherwise. Definitely something to ponder!

Thanks again,

Last edited by Alyssa - PG Music; 08/25/16 11:42 AM.

Alyssa - PG Music
My Favorite Things
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I've given this specific suggestion some thought over the decades. In some programs that "beginner/average/expert" choice works, protecting novices from themselves. But I don't see it working here - we need it all.

One easier-to-implement option as mentioned would be to make submenu pull-outs. Have a menu option for MIDI, another for RealTracks, and list only the categories within each etc. The resulting screens would be a lot less overwhelming. That sort of change.

And if you haven't viewed VideoTrack's short video of GUI suggestions, you should.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
My Favorite Things
w Offline
Expert
Expert
VideoTrack,

Excellent topic.

One of my unfavorite behavior of Mac's BinaB is opening/starting a " new " project.

When I am finished working on a song ( which i prefer to call a project ) and select " new " from the drop down menu the instruments used in the previous project are still there.

I find that most disconcerting.

Why can't we have a drop down menu that allows us to select " close " song/project ?

And then when we select " new " give us a fresh start with the default instruments ( bass, piano, drums ) as well as the default style. The same as when we first launch BinaB.

My Favorite Things
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Alyssa - PG Music
Removing menu options can be a sensitive endeavor. It seems for every customer who dislikes an option, there is another who loves it!

This is indeed true but this is the realm and challenge of the GUI designer! I strongly feel PG should hire or consult with an experienced User Experience (UX)/User Interface (UI) designer in order to significantly improve the products. We are way past the days when programmers design interfaces by simply adding yet another option to an already enormous list of options.

An even better example of this would be the Preferences dialog. When this dialog displays it is quite complex (and confusing). And then you see there are 30 buttons that each open another complex dialog!!! As a power user I admit to loving that PG has included all of these options BUT I must also say I can almost never find what I am looking for in this complex set of dialog boxes. And I suspect 80% or more do not need to be so easily available. Maybe a panel with common preferences and then something really deep like the current one.

But an experienced UX/UI designer would be a great place to start!

My Favorite Things
w Offline
Expert
Expert
Another " unfavorite things " is the " plug-ins " setup/preferences.

The other day i set up an AU plug in to play the BASS track and another AU plug to play the PIANO track in a song.

Now every time i open a song that AU plug in plays although in the Patches pane ( extreme upper right hand side ) shows Acoustic Bass and Acoustic Piano and in the Plugins pane it shows NO plug-in.

I selected plug-ins and set the BASS and PIANO tracks to none. .

Those two plug-ins still play.

I find the " preference " settings for plug-ins somewhat misleading and more complicated then it should be .

My Favorite Things
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"should hire or consult with an experienced User Experience (UX)/User Interface (UI) designer"

The best time to hire one would be 20 years ago, the second best time is now.

My Favorite Things
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Alyssa for your reply.

Yes, reconfiguring menus can be challenging, and there will be a 'please some of the people some of the time' moment along the way, but as JJJ mentioned, that is the job of the design people, and, well, if it needs fixing, it needs fixing.

Your acknowledgement is appreciated. smile

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
My Favorite Things
Veteran
Veteran
And of course one of the things you CAN'T ever do appears in the menu - if you have an RT track to begin with you CANNOT substitute a midi instrument in.
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
My Favorite Things
w Offline
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: w
Another " unfavorite things " is the " plug-ins " setup/preferences.

The other day i set up an AU plug in to play the BASS track and another AU plug to play the PIANO track in a song.

Now every time i open a song that AU plug in plays although in the Patches pane ( extreme upper right hand side ) shows Acoustic Bass and Acoustic Piano and in the Plugins pane it shows NO plug-in.

I selected plug-ins and set the BASS and PIANO tracks to none. .

Those two plug-ins still play.

I find the " preference " settings for plug-ins somewhat misleading and more complicated then it should be .

Sorry for answering my own posting however i wanted to post:

Problem solved although somewhat crude approach.

I started by going to Library/Audio/Plug-ins and moving my AU and VST plug-ins folders out ( to my desktop ) then launching Mac 2016 BinaB which effectively forces BinaB to redo the AU/VST plug-ins.

When i re-launched BinaB all was OK and then I moved the plug-ins folders back.

I'm sure Mac BinaBox gurus as well as PG tech support may have a better solution and would like to hear those suggestions.

My Favorite Things
K
KGU Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
K
I get stopped at the NON ability to drag a window to
a SECOND monitor.

My Favorite Things
S
SFG Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
I'd really like to see a NEW Audiophile PRO+ Version made available

..., where Audio files were offered in 24 bit.

I'd also like to see this proposed NEW Audiophile PRO+ Version ..., To also include a DRY TRACK OPTION

- ie; DRY track versions also offered for the realtracks ..., (DRY meaning - a bare bones audio track with No FX added to it)

- ie; Minus their already added reverb and compression etc , giving users the ability to instead add their own 3rd party FX in their own preferred flavour via both the BIAB FX slots , or In a DAW

This would enable (proposed future BIAB 'Audiophile PRO+ version' users)

- access to higher quality 24bit audio samples that would better survive the audio mangling and mashing that goes on within a DAW .., like file conversions, time stretching, adding FX etc .

The Dry Tracks suggestion would ................,

- Create a better 'all round' end result to your mixes , by allowing the user to sit the instruments in the mix where they like , (and not where BAIB pigeon holes' it to be) ........,

This means ....,

- the amount of reverb also not only creates a sense of space (eg: size , like room, hall, cathedral etc)
- it goes further than that by giving its own uniqueness to what type that space actually is and the materials contained within (wood , stone etc).
- Reverb can be special FX also , like plate reverbs , tube reverbs , reverse reverbs , pre-delay adjustments , Dry vs Wet signal blending (or using FX sends) etc .

...,and most importantly by adding your own reverb to a DRY audio track enables the producer to place emphasis on giving the listener an idea (ie; attention or focus) to where the instrument actual placing is within the sound field.
- All the above applies to compression FX also.

This placing could be either being up close and personal, through to being further back in the room , and all points in between.

I think it would be great to allow the user to decide where this space and place and feeling need to be in their mix
.., all this can be done without placing a finger on the volume fader, and turning up that fader will only increase volume and not increase that vocal or instruments presence and focus point in the mix.

... , rather than having to force all the other added elements of your mix (like your own added vocals, or recorded instrument tracks) to BLEND to the pre-determined BIAB mix .., all that possible power and uniqueness is lost with the current method.

Last edited by SFG; 10/09/16 06:09 PM.

My Specs
Computer : Mac Pro (late 2013) - OS Yosemite 10.10.5
Processor : 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory : 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics : AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB
Interface : Avid Mbox 3 Pro
DAW : Pro Tools 12.6.0 (64 bit AAX)
My Favorite Things
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
+1 24 bit

I was going to mention to you in the other post to use the DI Direct Input Option in RealTracks as it gives much more control and diversity with vst's like Amplitube and Guitar Rig.

EDIT: and something like https://www.kvraudio.com/product/redshift-pickup-replacer-by-acmebargig

Last edited by Pipeline; 10/10/16 07:25 AM.
My Favorite Things
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I really like the Dry version release idea. That would give users greater flexibility with mixing their own.

My Favorite Things
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
24-bit would be nice, though older RealTracks would not be able to take advantage of the added resolution since they're all recorded in 44.1/16-bit.

I love the idea option of more dynamics. I know it's used a lot for DVD and Blu-Ray audio. For someone releasing audio on CD, it will be downmixed to 44.1 16-bit and need to be dithered anyway. Even some popular compression formats won't do 24-bit.

Just genuinely curious about the final media format you would use for the 24-bit output.

Note: I'm not the development team, and if this hasn't been mentioned yet already, it should be posted in the Wish List forum if there is genuine interest in this feature.

Thanks,

Mathew
PG Music Inc.
My Favorite Things
P
Veteran
Veteran
P

My Favorite Things
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mat - PG Music
24-bit would be nice, though older RealTracks would not be able to take advantage of the added resolution since they're all recorded in 44.1/16-bit.

I love the idea option of more dynamics. I know it's used a lot for DVD and Blu-Ray audio. For someone releasing audio on CD, it will be downmixed to 44.1 16-bit and need to be dithered anyway. Even some popular compression formats won't do 24-bit.

Just genuinely curious about the final media format you would use for the 24-bit output.

Note: I'm not the development team, and if this hasn't been mentioned yet already, it should be posted in the Wish List forum if there is genuine interest in this feature.

I assume your statement, "older RealTracks would not be able to take advantage of the added resolution since they're all recorded in 44.1/16-bit" is true for ALL RealTracks and RealDrums currently released since their Audiophile wave forms are 16/44.1. Is that a correct assumption or were some of the master files recorded at a different setting?

Multiple high resolution standards were released in the 1990s including SACD, DSD, DVD-A and Blu-Ray.

Download the pdf file available at ++ Mastered For iTunes ++ and you'll see Apple suggests songs to be uploaded at 24 bit / 96Khz to be "future proof" against changing standards.

Crutchfield.com has a recent ++guide ++ guide to high resolution audio.

As stated earlier, most sample libraries are 24 bit or offer both 16 bit and 24 bit selections.

I hope that at the very least PG Music considers having the RealDrum and RealTrack master recordings to be tracked at 24 bit depth and 96 Khz sample rate for when the market is ready for higher quality recordings.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
My Favorite Things
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
"24-bit would be nice, though older RealTracks would not be able to take advantage of the added resolution since they're all recorded in 44.1/16-bit. "

Older ? I wonder how old before higher bitrates were used 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,468
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195