You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#363106 - 08/30/16 05:52 PM [User Showcase] Its Better That Way
Robertkc Online   content
Veteran

https://soundcloud.com/user-564042721/its-better-that-way

My first recording using an interface rather than just a usb mic- the vocal editing was much easier this time so I hope it shows!

Style is _LONGING.STY (Longing Ambient Songwriter Folk)

RealTracks in style: 1929:Synth, Bass, EuroDance VerseBass Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1948:Mandolin, Rhythm PopUpliftingAndy Ev16 120
RealTracks in style: ~522:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 2541:Pedal Steel, Background ModernPopCountry Ev 110
RealTracks in style: 1943:Synth, Rhythm, EuroDance Strings Ev 120
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^6-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat Open

Its Better That Way
( Robert Cordrey, Aug.2016)

You arrive looking back
to that far bright star
big-eyed with wonder
your father tells you where you are

then you`re swept down a river
your mother`s prayers can`t make straight
through a land of grace and danger
the hidden angels of your fate

and its strange not knowing
this hanging by a thread
of dreams and faith and longing
from the precipice of breath
could lead you to say
its better that way

will you live looking forward
to that far bright star
send your message in a bottle
I`ll find where you are
I would write your story to the future
a chain of words no harm could break
but I`ll let you go on that river
with a note to stay awake

and its strange not knowing
this hanging by a thread
of dreams and faith and longing
from the precipice of breath
could lead you to say
its better that way

you arrive looking back
to that far bright star

Edited by Robertkc (08/31/16 05:00 PM)

#363146 - 08/31/16 02:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: Its Better That Way [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Robert,

Great song - excellent up-front vocal. Very nice job on this.

Bob

#363149 - 08/31/16 02:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: Its Better That Way [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Sydney Australia
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Robert,
Nice mix - as Bob said nice up front vocal.
An enjoyable song.

Peter

#363169 - 08/31/16 06:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: Its Better That Way [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Robert,

A very poetic write...sort of Cohen-like...

Nice job of getting the vocal up-front (I think it could come down just a little - or just a touch more reverb).

The BIAB style works really well for the lyric and vocal...

fj

#363202 - 08/31/16 10:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Its Better That Way [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Robert,

Nice job of getting the vocal up-front (I think it could come down just a little - or just a touch more reverb).

fj

We completely agree with Floyd!

Rob and Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#363215 - 08/31/16 10:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Its Better That Way [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Nice song. As has been pointed out, your lead vocals are just a tad too up front. I think if you just roll off the low end on your vocal a little bit that will help, then just adjust the volume to fit. Really enjoyed the song.

Steve

#363273 - 08/31/16 05:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Its Better That Way [Re: Robertkc]
Veteran

Bob - Thank you!

Peter - I`m glad you liked the song- getting the vocals clear & up front was a breakthrough for me .

Floyd - Yes, this style was a really easy fit for the song. The lyrics came from one of those waking from a dream fumbling for paper & pen moments, so glad I grabbed it before it was gone!
I appreciate your comments on the vocal level & have now backed it off a few db`s

Rob & Anne-Marie - Many Thanks!

Steve - Thanks for the listen and your comments on the vocals. I need to practice with the position of the new microphone & Focusrite levels before recording again.

#363306 - 09/01/16 04:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: Its Better That Way [Re: RnAM]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Robert,

we forgot to add that the pedal steel guitar also works great here.
This really complements the song.
Like others said the vocal could use a little bit of reverb, but not too much actually, since the upfront style of it would otherwise lose its effect.
In general, mixing the vocals in the arrangement in exactly the right volume levels is one of the toughest things. Sometimes this takes me days and then some more...

Keep on the good work!
Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#363410 - 09/01/16 05:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: Its Better That Way [Re: RnAM]
Veteran

Originally Posted By: RnAM

Like others said the vocal could use a little bit of reverb, but not too much actually, since the upfront style of it would otherwise lose its effect.

Rob,

Yes, that`s the difficulty I found in adding reverb - I tried a few times with the RealBand PG Reverb & couldn`t get a light enough result.
Nectar seems a little better ( I`ve tweaked & updated the SoundCloud file now), but on my version its not called simply reverb so its confusing.
No doubt you have far more patience than I in the production phase.

Robert

#363471 - 09/02/16 05:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: Its Better That Way [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: Byron Bay, NSW, Australia
Matcham Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Byron Bay, NSW, Australia
Robert if you've tweaked the 'verb then I reckon it has worked. It sounds sweet tho I would still back off the level a bit. The transition to the chorus is a little abrupt with all those instruments coming in at once. Automated fade ins could do the trick.

Overall the song has a nice dream-like quality which suits the lyrics and by the sounds of it the inspiration. Cool.

#363476 - 09/02/16 06:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Its Better That Way [Re: Robertkc]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

just listened....

Yeah I agree.... back the vox down, add some subtle reverb to it and roll off the lows and the mids a bit. It has too much in the mids and that makes it too full and muddy sounding.

You also want to watch the steel in some styles. Judicious editing will solve some of the issues I heard in the steel. At 0:57 the steel goes somewhere other than where it should. A volume envelope to pull it out would hide that kind of musical faux-pas. This happens to me as well when I use the RT's. I either render the track a second or third time and see if it "does right" or I find a good edit point and edit it out.

just my 2 cents.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#363480 - 09/02/16 06:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: Its Better That Way [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: North Carolina
David Snyder Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Big quality difference! Sounds gorgeous! Wonderful recording. Welcome to the beautiful world of audio interfaces.

smile

Great job.

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#363504 - 09/02/16 07:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Its Better That Way [Re: Robertkc]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
A nice melancholy piece. Enjoyed my listen.

Charlie

#363596 - 09/02/16 03:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Its Better That Way [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Robert,

fj

I think FJ got with the Cohen comparison. Very cool!! Interesting, thoughtful write. There is a little something harmonically unusual going on in the chorus-not bad, just different. You picked the perfect band for this production. Nice work!! Take care. Greg

#363643 - 09/02/16 06:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: Its Better That Way [Re: Matcham]
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Matcham
Robert if you've tweaked the 'verb then I reckon it has worked. It sounds sweet tho I would still back off the level a bit. The transition to the chorus is a little abrupt with all those instruments coming in at once. Automated fade ins could do the trick.

Overall the song has a nice dream-like quality which suits the lyrics and by the sounds of it the inspiration. Cool.

Thanks, glad you liked the song.
After a few listens ( find I have to do that in several ways not just the headphones I use for mixing) I`ve also backed off the vocal level after adding some reverb. Good point about the chorus transition- for this round I`ll live with it.

Robert

#363646 - 09/02/16 07:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Its Better That Way [Re: Guitarhacker]
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
just listened....

Yeah I agree.... back the vox down, add some subtle reverb to it and roll off the lows and the mids a bit. It has too much in the mids and that makes it too full and muddy sounding.

You also want to watch the steel in some styles. Judicious editing will solve some of the issues I heard in the steel. At 0:57 the steel goes somewhere other than where it should. A volume envelope to pull it out would hide that kind of musical faux-pas. This happens to me as well when I use the RT's. I either render the track a second or third time and see if it "does right" or I find a good edit point and edit it out.

just my 2 cents.

Your comments are appreciated. I would never have heard the odd bit of pedal steel, so thanks for pointing that out- I regenerated that section & it seems ok now.
My skills at vocal editing are rudimentary... so having added a touch of reverb & reduced the volume I`m going to leave as is - moving those EQ nodes around in Nectar just leads me into more trouble right now!

Robert

#363648 - 09/02/16 07:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Its Better That Way [Re: David Snyder]
Veteran

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Big quality difference! Sounds gorgeous! Wonderful recording. Welcome to the beautiful world of audio interfaces.

smile

Great job.

David

Thank you- I needed that!
Yes, its a big change- finally had enough of the lag from my usb mic
and even though I`m using a $30 mic now I couldn`t be happier to have switched.

Robert

#363650 - 09/02/16 07:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Its Better That Way [Re: Greg Johnson]
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Robert,

fj

I think FJ got with the Cohen comparison. Very cool!! Interesting, thoughtful write. There is a little something harmonically unusual going on in the chorus-not bad, just different. You picked the perfect band for this production. Nice work!! Take care. Greg

Thanks very much Greg,
I did try to add a bit of tension in the chorus so maybe that`s what you hear there.
Yes, this style was an instant fit for the song.

Robert

PG Music News
Russian Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - JAWS Screen Reader Announcement!

For anyone that uses the screen reader program JAWS (Job Access with Speech), the scripts for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is ready for both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions!

Learn more about these JAWS scripts here.

A HUGE THANK YOU to Peter Torpey for all his hard work on these scripts - we really couldn't do this without him!

Video - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows: Exporting MIDI

Learn how to export MIDI when you watch our latest video: Exporting MIDI.

Video - Custom Endings (Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows)

You can create your own custom endings within Band-in-a-Box® - just head to your song settings! Anthony explains how to adjust the settings so that your song ending is customized... watch it now: click here.

Read more about Custom Endings in the online manual, here.

Video - The Melody Sequencer & MIDI Channels in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows

In our latest video, Anthony explains using the Melody Sequencer to separate MIDI channels within the program - Watch now!

Read more about this feature.

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box®!

Here's some of the wonderful feedback we've received lately:

"I gotta admit Band-in-a-Box is great software. I have version 2018 and I use it for a ton of my videos i make on my YouTube channel."
"Wow this program has come a long way over the years! Great sounding audio tracks!"
"I absolutely love this product and use it everyday."
"If you want to write songs, then you should use Band-in-a-Box. I simply love it! It really produces a professional touch!"
"For an amateur songwriter like me this software is a dream come true and the fact that these musicians have been paid to create these tracks makes me happy to use this software without worrying about ripping people off. Just brilliant!"
"I've been a PG Music customer for over 20 years. Best value for music software product hands down. Create a full backing track in minutes and then experiment with styles and different instruments for a whole evening. The software is so good, it's the main component in TRIO band creator!"
"I bought the UltraPAK - wow what a revelation! There is so much that can be done to create a backing track of your own making! It took a while at first but now I feel like a pro in just a Month its good value for money..."
"I've been using Band-in-a-Box for decades and love it. Now using Reaper with Band-in-a-Box - Band-in-a-Box Rocks more than ever!"
"This is the greatest thing out, I've got it, just fantastic!"
"It's absolutely unique. No other music software can do what Band-in-a-Box does, and with such great results"
"Band-in-a-Box is an incredible product. Once you get up and running (and it doesn't take long at all) the musical possibilities are endless. The sound quality of the various styles and instruments is superb!"

Thank you everyone - we think our customers are AMAZING!

Do you love Band-in-a-Box too? Take a moment to check the Video Testimonials offer that is always available, and you could receive your next version FREE! For inspiration, check out the Video Testimonials that have already been submitted here!

Portuguese Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box 2019® em Português!

Novas Funções
Pacotes

Forum Stats
29647 Members
60 Forums
58488 Topics
492652 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
gazebow, Gaspar Vidal, philouq, Garry-h, paquebo

29647 Registered Users